Mike Preston's report card

Mike Preston's report card

There are 96 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 29, 2008, titled Mike Preston's report card. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Quarterback: C+ For a rookie, Joe Flacco held up well. He lost his composure briefly in the third quarter, but regained it in the fourth.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Mongo

Partlow, VA

#81 Sep 30, 2008
FireTrembley wrote:
<quoted text>
My alma mater...which would be?
High School. Probably before your time.
Mongo

Partlow, VA

#82 Sep 30, 2008
Peej wrote:
<quoted text>
Watching the game, I noticed that they kept him in as a blocker and an outlet receiver.
As a blocker he was OK. Once he was beaten when he took the inside rusher and allowed the edge blitzer a free run at Flacco.
As an outlet receiver, he never got the ball his way because Flacco and Mason seemed to have a great level of communication last night.
Difference with Flacco is that he was able to find a receiver (Mason the only one consistently open) downfield and make the throw instead of infuriatingly checking down each play.

Keep throwing it to Mason until they can stop it.
preston hater

Waldorf, MD

#83 Sep 30, 2008
Hey Mike,
How can you grade Flacco at a C+ when Steve Young after the game said he grades out as an A. He managed the game, found open guys and put throws pretty much on the money. His only mishap was taking a sack or two and the fumble when he got hit. I'll take C+ Joe Flacco over A+ Kyle Boller any day. This was a game where the O stepped up and scored when it needed to and the D didn't. We shoulda won that game by 10 at least. But your grades are bad Mike, real bad. It amazes me that they let you write about stuff in which you clearly have no knowledge... but then again, it is the Sun.
FireTrembley

United States

#84 Sep 30, 2008
Mongo wrote:
<quoted text>
High School. Probably before your time.
Well if you did play football for Calvert Hall...I'm not sure I'd be bragging about it. Those boys were pretty much the laughing stock of the other sports programs. Didn't we lose to Loyola like 10 years straight in the Turkey Bowl? I don't ever remember the football team being good. Baseball yes, basketball yes, soccer yes, swimming yes, track yes, cross country yes, but football nope.
FireTrembley

United States

#85 Sep 30, 2008
preston hater wrote:
Hey Mike,
How can you grade Flacco at a C+ when Steve Young after the game said he grades out as an A. He managed the game, found open guys and put throws pretty much on the money. His only mishap was taking a sack or two and the fumble when he got hit. I'll take C+ Joe Flacco over A+ Kyle Boller any day. This was a game where the O stepped up and scored when it needed to and the D didn't. We shoulda won that game by 10 at least. But your grades are bad Mike, real bad. It amazes me that they let you write about stuff in which you clearly have no knowledge... but then again, it is the Sun.
What do you expect. They probably pay the guy in popcorn kernels.
Castellimon

Alexandria, VA

#87 Sep 30, 2008
This game ticked me off big time. We had them and blew it.

Flacco fumbled the ball 3 times, including the first snap, ala Boller. Sorry, despite all the hype around this guy, all fumbles were extremely boneheaded, with one recovered for a score.

Mason had a TD catch that was ruled out of bounds, when replays showed it was good. Where was Harbaugh's challenge flag? When TDs are so scarce with the Ravens, you should challenge every close call. D-U-M-B!

Bart Scott has a emotional problem with his personal fouls and other antics over the years. I guess he's our Joey Porter. Johnson's wasn't too impressive either, especially since Hines Ward wasn't guilty of anything except doing his job.

The overtime penalties were classic Ravens' offense implosion during pressure situations, and then on the play that gave Reed a good spot to kick his winning field goal, Suggs blew his coverage on the Steelers' Moore because he was staring at Roethlisberger instead of bumping and sticking to Moore. D-U-M-B!
FireTrembley

United States

#88 Sep 30, 2008
Baltimore1967 wrote:
If Flacco was black, preston would give an A
Are you accusing Mike Preston of being racist? I thought so at first too...then I heard him talk on the radio...whitest black guy ever. He's not racist...he's just a moron.
Bill

Richardson, TX

#89 Sep 30, 2008
Motorhead Fan wrote:
<quoted text>No, actually it was to illustrate the point that I could say something like that to get a rise out of someone like you, hence, maybe it isn't so far fetched that Hines Ward could, in a highly emotional game, push JJs buttons and draw a penalty.
Thank you for playing along.
Oh okay. You're argument is getting weaker by the second.
tony

United States

#90 Sep 30, 2008
I think you are wrong with thinking that McClain doesn't work against Pittsburgh, he was the only back gaining any good yardage and started to punish Pittsburgh late in the game. Are you sure you watched the game because i was saying that McClain needed to be the go to back in the second half because Willis was not getting it done like McClain was
FireTrembley

United States

#91 Sep 30, 2008
tony wrote:
I think you are wrong with thinking that McClain doesn't work against Pittsburgh, he was the only back gaining any good yardage and started to punish Pittsburgh late in the game. Are you sure you watched the game because i was saying that McClain needed to be the go to back in the second half because Willis was not getting it done like McClain was
McClain had a couple good runs but he was getting dropped right around the line of scrimmage all night. No one expected either of the team's run games to have much success and they didn't.
Greg B

Dayton, OH

#92 Sep 30, 2008
Motorhead Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Here are my grades from last night while you were watching the game:
Your Wife: D+. Her prosthetic leg minimized her flexibility and she was unresponsive or confused by audibles called at the line. Your inability ot read defenses resulted in my being able to "sack" her 3 times.
Your food in the kitchen: F. Leftover breaded food from Bennigans had turned aqua green and blue in it's styrofoam container. Lid on old, expired jar of salsa had fused to the glass and would not come off. Milk had curdled and, whoever told you to store tampons in a refridgerator ought to be shot.
Your Dog: Caesar the Dogwhisperer told us that the dog hates you and knows why you've ordered those Carhart knee high boots. He's going to run away as soon as he gets an opening.
That's pretty funny.
J Ho

Boston, MA

#93 Oct 1, 2008
again, where are the tight ends? this is why new england lost the superbowl, you need the 3-4 yard dump pass to tight ends and screening backs to punish aggressive defenses. the ravens are doing the screening of backs far better than they have ever, but I don't understand why Heap and Wilcox are not getting more passes by strategy and play design?

Since: Sep 08

Baltimore

#94 Oct 1, 2008
J Ho wrote:
again, where are the tight ends? this is why new england lost the superbowl, you need the 3-4 yard dump pass to tight ends and screening backs to punish aggressive defenses. the ravens are doing the screening of backs far better than they have ever, but I don't understand why Heap and Wilcox are not getting more passes by strategy and play design?
I think they will...but frankly that's been our M.O. for the past few years. Run, pass to the TE, maybe try a WR. That's why Heap keeps getting hurt...I'm hoping that Flacco's poise will mean Heap get's passes by design and not because our QB is flustered and using him as a security blanket.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#95 Oct 1, 2008
Typical Preston report card:

Totally off. Totally meaningless.
Peej

Atlanta, GA

#96 Oct 2, 2008
Amadeo wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they will...but frankly that's been our M.O. for the past few years. Run, pass to the TE, maybe try a WR. That's why Heap keeps getting hurt...I'm hoping that Flacco's poise will mean Heap get's passes by design and not because our QB is flustered and using him as a security blanket.
I agree. And I also think that Cam Cameron is slowly increasing the number of options available to Joe Flacco. These options will include different route patterns (perhaps ones in which other receivers will come open).

As to Heap, he has taken a beating over the last few years catching passes in the middle. Using him on the edges for swing passes has given him an opportunity to go against corners rather than LBs and safeties.

And look, it has worked. When he has caught passes on the edges, he has gained significant yards.

This will help him continue to grow his ability to manage the offense while minimizing the risks.

After all, who would have thought we'd have a 2-1 record to this point?
Peej

Atlanta, GA

#97 Oct 2, 2008
"This will help him..." refers to Flacco. Sorry

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Heap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Snap judgments: Turnover can be good (May '13) May '13 south philly 1
News 4 mins. ago - NFL to start suspending players f... (Oct '10) Jan '12 Better Judgement 13
News Baltimore Sun picks: Ravens vs. Titans (Oct '08) Nov '11 Steel 72
News Fans Rejoice as NFL Lockout Ends (Jul '11) Jul '11 Marques Carter 2
News Ravens lead Steelers 21-7 at halftime (Jan '11) Feb '11 Hair 31
News AFC Divisional Recap: Ravens Eat Crow (Jan '11) Jan '11 Annoyed 1
News Steelers 31, Ravens 24: Roethlisberger's big pa... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jonathan S 1
More from around the web