Report card

Report card

There are 91 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 8, 2008, titled Report card. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Joe Flacco managed the game well, especially considering that he is a rookie. He had a few misfirings but for the most part did a nice job handling the pressure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Peej

Corinth, MS

#81 Sep 8, 2008
By the way, is the game available on any streaming video that I can access? I live in Hot-Lanta but will follow the Ravens faithfully.

I grew up with this team when it was in Cleveland and do not plan to change!
Russell

Columbia, MD

#82 Sep 9, 2008
Vandaley Industries wrote:
<quoted text>you need to watch the replays. It didn't happen that way, you're wrong and still trying to gain significant attention away from the sports writers. Who the H are you? Pee Wee Herman? That hard on your sporting does not count as personal growth Scooter, put your e-peniss away. Go away.
Wikipedia has it right in this case:

"Sometimes an end-around, in which the only handoff is from a stationary quarterback to a wide receiver, is imprecisely called a "reverse". An end-around is not a reverse because the lateral flow of the play does not change direction. However, it has become commonplace for fans, sportswriters, announcers, and even coaches and players to refer to any end-around as a 'reverse', and to an end-around reverse as a 'double reverse.'"

Please stop supporting this bad habit!

Since: Jan 08

United States

#83 Sep 9, 2008
Wait until the Ravens play a team from the NFL.
GHT

Portland, OR

#84 Sep 9, 2008
SteelerFansince1960 wrote:
Wait until the Ravens play a team from the NFL.
yeah, the last time was Dec 30, 2007, the last game of the season and they spanked the Steelers. It was great wasn't it? We can't wait either in Baltimore, I suspect the ass whooping will continue. Just do us all a favor, get that cesspool of a field in playable condition wil ya?

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#85 Sep 9, 2008
GHT wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, the last time was Dec 30, 2007, the last game of the season and they spanked the Steelers. It was great wasn't it? We can't wait either in Baltimore, I suspect the **** whooping will continue. Just do us all a favor, get that cesspool of a field in playable condition wil ya?
You tell 'im!

:0)
Devil is in the details

Pleasanton, CA

#86 Sep 9, 2008
kevin wrote:
when a receiver comes around for a hand-off from the qb its called an "end around". however its also called a "reverse" because presumably the qb is headed toward the receiver even if its slight making it a reverse. that WAS a double reverse that clayton ran for a td.
If you are going to be a stickler I believe the play would be called an end around reverse. An end around is not technically a reverse. If Flacco handed off to an RB who handed to Clayton (a WR) it would be just a reverse.
GHT

Portland, OR

#87 Sep 9, 2008
skaybaltimore wrote:
<quoted text>You tell 'im!
:0)
it was just too easy and hard to resist.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#89 Sep 9, 2008
GHT wrote:
<quoted text>it was just too easy and hard to resist.
LOL. Stooler fans are just such -- well...Stooler fans.

Buwahahahahahah!!!
jonosmith

Halethorpe, MD

#90 Sep 10, 2008
Clarence wrote:
First let me say this: Flacco is good and prove to be a very solid starter in this league but QBs can be a shaky bunch... here's what can screw this up for you:
A. Keep Flacco in as the starter. Just think people! You have Pittsburgh
and Tennessee coming up week 4 or 5. Both know how to handle seasoned QBs not to mention rookies... I think you finally got something with Flacco.
Just don';t blow it by putting him in there too soon. He did ok vs. a weak team... not everyone you have to face is so very weak. I'm not saying he's not the real deal for the future, just not yet. Anything else is wishful thinking and you will pay for your shortsightedness if you start this kid the rest of the season.
Interesting.

So against the Steelers and the Titans you would play who?

Troy Smith who isn't likely to have any games by then under his belt leaving him as the least experienced QB on the Ravens roster. And who is is almost certainly not going to be in game shape.

Todd Bouman who also isn't likely to have played a game or gotten many starter reps by then.

So you would go into those games without the best QB available to the Ravens?

Going into Pittsburgh the Ravens could be 2-1 or 3-0 but you are willing to concede those two games and put us at maybe 2-3 or 3-2 just to protect Joe Flacco? This in a year where the AFC suddenly looks very even and very interesting.

And every time we face a tough team you want to leave him on the bench so he can learn to beat bad teams but not face good ones.

I can just see Harbaugh now " Joe we think these guys will kill you so we are sending out ---- to take a beating in your place. We don't have the cofidence in you ..yet but we will some day after you throw 3 TDs and rack up 400 yds. passing in one game."

I was originally against starting a rookie but foolishly, I thought he looked very poised and seemed like he could only get better from that first game experience.

You have shown me the error of my ways and it is now obvious that Flacco should only face teams that are pathetic.

Okay, you win by surrendering! Good lesson for the kids. New T-Shirt: "Chicken Joe of the Delaware Hens".
Tim

New York, NY

#91 Sep 11, 2008
Raven fans, let see how he does against a real nfl defense. The Bengals were 22nd defense last year and probably will be the same. The Bungals as we say in cincinnai will win maybe four games this year with that defense and offense line. We will see when you play pittsburg
larry g

Baltimore, MD

#92 Sep 11, 2008
mjlaxnmd wrote:
Read my earlier comment. It was a "single" reverse (just called a "reverse"). Every talking head and columnist I've seen talking about it have incorrectly called it a "double reverse" which is wrong. A reverse is when you have the play flowing one way and then a player takes a handoff coming from the opposite direction takes a second handoff to "reverse" the action of the play. A double reverse would require 3 handoffs. The mistake is calling the begining of the play a reverse instead of an end around. Nothing is being reversed when the wideout streaks through the backfield going from one direction to the other and takes the handoff from the QB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_ (American_football)
Yeah, Easterbrook is big on this one and I suppose I have TMQ to thank for pointing it out and now it's driving me nuts.
since the qb turned in the opposite direction
he is the first reversal when he gives it to man going the other way and he gives it to another going other way on the double reverse

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Heap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Snap judgments: Turnover can be good (May '13) May '13 south philly 1
News 4 mins. ago - NFL to start suspending players f... (Oct '10) Jan '12 Better Judgement 13
News Baltimore Sun picks: Ravens vs. Titans (Oct '08) Nov '11 Steel 72
News Fans Rejoice as NFL Lockout Ends (Jul '11) Jul '11 Marques Carter 2
News Ravens lead Steelers 21-7 at halftime (Jan '11) Feb '11 Hair 31
News AFC Divisional Recap: Ravens Eat Crow (Jan '11) Jan '11 Annoyed 1
News Steelers 31, Ravens 24: Roethlisberger's big pa... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jonathan S 1
More from around the web