Report card

Report card

There are 91 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 8, 2008, titled Report card. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Joe Flacco managed the game well, especially considering that he is a rookie. He had a few misfirings but for the most part did a nice job handling the pressure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
the one who knows

Manteo, NC

#1 Sep 8, 2008
I'd give Flacco at least a B+. He didn't make any costly mistakes, which is pretty solid for a small school rookie!
Brian

Baltimore, MD

#2 Sep 8, 2008
How can you rate Flacco a B -, your biased negative approach is starting to be evident. Flacco led the game, not just managed. I don't think he truned over the ball once, and made great decisions. What mistakes would you point out. His poise in the pocket, audibles, and leadership could be felt throughout. He had three great throws that were dropped by the receivers. A wide open Rice, Heap, and Clayton, all great throws that would of been TD's. But you give them a B+??
Special Teams a C+? What game were you watching. I think some Bengal returns were for 1. 1. and 0 yards. Yamon made two down field tackles. And returned a kick for a TD thatt was negated for a bad call.
Mike, sometimes it's ok to say this team prepared well and played as a unit. You don't have to give fair to poor grades for the sake of giving them. Just an opinnion from a guy who thinks you often show your non-Baltimore background.
Next time watch the game. Don't just look for room to criticize for what all accounts (ESPN, NFL Network, NBC) said was a great first start. The grades on QB, Special Teams just don't add up. If anything they helped us prevail. I don't remember anytime a B- QB's name was being chanted by 70,000 fans. Can you?
Daddy Duds

Alexandria, VA

#3 Sep 8, 2008
Mike,

Are you kidding me, B- for Flacco? The kid played great. Definitely an "A". MIke, do me a favor, read the article you wrote today.

Most importantly, when things turned bad on the field, Flacco didn't get happy feet. In the 4th quarter, Flacco lead the team down the field holding the lead for the victory.
Donna

Worcester, PA

#4 Sep 8, 2008
Mike, I have to defend your grade of B- for Flacco. What people are forgetting is that we have a rubric for grades not a sliding scale, just because he didn't turn the ball over he should not get an A. Is that the extent of our expectations? I would hope not! The truth is for his first game, Flacco was right on, managed the game great, but he lacked a couple of things that would have gotten him a grade of A in my gradebook. He did not have a passing touchdown, he did luckily avoid a few near interceptions because he had a tendency to lock onto his receiver, occasionally and those were the passes where he was almost picked. A few of his passes were to high or lacked the touch of a great pass. NOw granted there were a few times his receivers didn't help him out. Heap needs to get in there and practice with Joe, maybe then he will be familiar with the intensity of his passes and not drop everyone, oops all but one, that comes his way. As for the pass to Clayton down the field, that was really just great defense in breaking up what looked like a sure TD. Heap's drops and Rice's dropped pass cost Flacco his passing TD, but he also needs to still perfect the height of his passes and get a bit more touch on some of his shorter throws. I think for his very first game, a B or B- is very fair. We should have higher expectations than to want to give him an A just because he didn't turn the ball over. We have a QB, now let's hold him to the same high expectations we hold our defense. If we do that and he rises to meet our expectations, Baltimore will surprise a lot of people this year.
lod

Macon, VA

#5 Sep 8, 2008
how about a d- for your article, did you watch the same game, and you get paid for writing this stuff. You should get stuffed.... A very bad review for the qb position and the special teams play. Please no more of this garbage... The score should have been in the 30 to 3 range and could have been except for a "few" dropped passes and some dumb ref. calls...
unbelievaboh

Owings Mills, MD

#6 Sep 8, 2008
enough preston bashing already!

no matter how excited you are, or however you slice it 15-for-29 passing for 129 yards and a 63.7 quarterback rating doesn't deserve an A rating. sure he got the job done, but just because we as a city have been so long deprived of a QB w/ even a pulse doesn't mean his day was near flawless.

i do expect to see many "A days" in flacco's future thoguh.
Mongo

Great Mills, MD

#7 Sep 8, 2008
Wow, Preston graded the offense higher than I did.

The final score did not show how dominant the Ravens were in all three phases of the game. Score should've been 27-3. Heap dropped the TD, and Figurs' punt return TD should not have been called back (since when is the front shoulder the "back"?). Stover is really starting to show his age.

Looks like the tough training camp paid off. Those players who survived stomped all over the winded and worn Bengals.
Jacob

Holbrook, NY

#8 Sep 8, 2008
unbelievaboh wrote:
enough preston bashing already!
no matter how excited you are, or however you slice it 15-for-29 passing for 129 yards and a 63.7 quarterback rating doesn't deserve an A rating. sure he got the job done, but just because we as a city have been so long deprived of a QB w/ even a pulse doesn't mean his day was near flawless.
i do expect to see many "A days" in flacco's future thoguh.
I'm with you. Giving Flacco a B- is on target. Preston is grading him based on what a starting QB should do, not a rookie starting QB in his first game. If he were to grade Flacco as the latter, we wouldn't really have a basis for comparison b/c rookies don't usually start their first game.

Regardless, Joe Flacco looked like a solid QB out there, one the Ravens can win more than their share of games with.
Farting Mike Preston

United States

#9 Sep 8, 2008
Mike,

With this article today you have confirmed that you are on baised sport writer. If this performance was give by Troy Smith you would have praised him and given him atlease A. Enough said.

Flacco had atleast three close to TD passes that were dropped. Being a rookie he did an excellent job of mananging and commanding the game.

Who cares what grade you give people and real experts at national TV are praising the kid.

I give F- to your article LOL who cares you loser !
Hatchett Detective

Camden, NJ

#10 Sep 8, 2008
I give Donna an A+ for knowing the word Rubric. I give her an F, for using it in this forum, and for writing the longest paragraph in the history of this forum. :)
mjlaxnmd

Baltimore, MD

#11 Sep 8, 2008
Hey Mike, same mistake as every other talking head made yesterday, I don't think I've ever seen an NFL game where a double reverse has actually been run. If the quarterback hands the ball to a wide reciever running through the backfield, that's an end-around. If he then hands it to another wide reciever going the other way, that is a reverse (as in the flow of the play has been "reversed"). A double reverse would mean a third handoff of the ball to someone going back in the original direction, a play that I would imagine would end up losing at least 10 yards in the NFL. Just because all of the football talking heads say it, doesn't make it right.

By the way, I loved the game yesterday. There was a big difference in the way that the team ran the ball under Harbaugh/Cameron then under Billick. With Billick, you always felt like he was only running to set up the pass, yesterday the Ravens ran the ball because the Bengals never showed they could stop it. They kept their cleats on the throats of the Bengal's D and kept their O on the sidelines. The defense had to LOVE spending 20+ minutes on the bench in the second half just watching the Bengals die a slow death. LOVED IT!
pstroms

Concord, CA

#12 Sep 8, 2008
While the Ravens run offense was incredible there was an almost game changing fumble by rb when the game should have been put away and dropped passes by Heap and a few others lower the wr grade for me.

rb b+
wr c+
qb b
ol a+

Very exciting game, am looking forward to next week already .
daddyman57

District Heights, MD

#13 Sep 8, 2008
You're right, Willis McGahee better learn how to heal fast. LeRon McClain reminded me of a couple of other fullbacks forced into duty as running backs and they never looked back. Do the names John Riggins and Stephen Davis sound familiar? Both were originally signed as fullbacks. Riggins by the Jets and Davis by the Redskins. And if I'm not mistaken, Cam Cameron was coaching with the Redskins when they switched Stephen Davis to running back for them. Maybe he sees something in McClain that nobody else was looking for.

As for your grade on Flacco, it's right on target. But don't forget, those five dropped passes would have increased his QB rating a ton.
riverside

Silver Spring, MD

#14 Sep 8, 2008
Go Mike. Frankly, I think you were very generous with your grades. I agree with Mongo and others. I would not have graded that high. Flacco and the offense were above average, but there were mistakes. Let's also remember that the Ravens played the Bengals, not a top tier team. They have a way to go yet.
Go Donna!
Lee

Stevensville, MD

#15 Sep 8, 2008
Donna wrote:
Mike, I have to defend your grade of B- for Flacco. What people are forgetting is that we have a rubric for grades not a sliding scale, just because he didn't turn the ball over he should not get an A. Is that the extent of our expectations? I would hope not! The truth is for his first game, Flacco was right on, managed the game great, but he lacked a couple of things that would have gotten him a grade of A in my gradebook. He did not have a passing touchdown, he did luckily avoid a few near interceptions because he had a tendency to lock onto his receiver, occasionally and those were the passes where he was almost picked. A few of his passes were to high or lacked the touch of a great pass. NOw granted there were a few times his receivers didn't help him out. Heap needs to get in there and practice with Joe, maybe then he will be familiar with the intensity of his passes and not drop everyone, oops all but one, that comes his way. As for the pass to Clayton down the field, that was really just great defense in breaking up what looked like a sure TD. Heap's drops and Rice's dropped pass cost Flacco his passing TD, but he also needs to still perfect the height of his passes and get a bit more touch on some of his shorter throws. I think for his very first game, a B or B- is very fair. We should have higher expectations than to want to give him an A just because he didn't turn the ball over. We have a QB, now let's hold him to the same high expectations we hold our defense. If we do that and he rises to meet our expectations, Baltimore will surprise a lot of people this year.
Donna, I only want to say, the long pass to Clayton that was broken up was good defense, but it was good defense on an "underthrown" ball. Clayton had the guy beat, if Flacco can learn from this mistake and just throw it farther and let Clayton catch up to it, it would be a TD.

Flacco did very well, especially for the situation he was put in. In comparison to starting QBs, B- is fine, for his situation he easily gets an A.
Rafael Joseph McFadden

Hanover, MD

#16 Sep 8, 2008
I Knew this would happen, you guys get on Mike just because he didn't give Flacco an A. Flacco was ok, he didnt' set the world on fire with his debut. He did what we needed him to do and that was not turn the ball over. He over threw the ball several times, and hie receivers also dropped some good passes. Just because he is not Troy Smith or Kyle Boller doesn't automatically grant him an A. Geez, I don't think Mike Preston is biased I think the fans are biased towards their "Golden Boy" Flacco because he had one ok game.
Richard H

Owings Mills, MD

#17 Sep 8, 2008
Nice card there preston. You old softee!!
KyleProBoller7

United States

#18 Sep 8, 2008
If Troy Smith started and played the same way Flacco did Preston would have given him a B+ or A-...how much longer is the Sun going to subject us to this biased (borderline racist) "journalist"?
Dave

Baltimore, MD

#19 Sep 8, 2008
Gee, Mike .... you gave McNair that rating when he stunk. Hurts having a young white QB do well, isn't it? Well, maybe he will get hurt and Smith can play, than you can use that A.
next year guy

AOL

#20 Sep 8, 2008
KyleProBoller7 wrote:
If Troy Smith started and played the same way Flacco did Preston would have given him a B+ or A-...how much longer is the Sun going to subject us to this biased (borderline racist) "journalist"?
in the words of a real President,Ronald Reagan, "there you go again"
Same old Balto crap and mike is not the racist.
The grading was dead on!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Heap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Snap judgments: Turnover can be good (May '13) May '13 south philly 1
News 4 mins. ago - NFL to start suspending players f... (Oct '10) Jan '12 Better Judgement 13
News Baltimore Sun picks: Ravens vs. Titans (Oct '08) Nov '11 Steel 72
News Fans Rejoice as NFL Lockout Ends (Jul '11) Jul '11 Marques Carter 2
News Ravens lead Steelers 21-7 at halftime (Jan '11) Feb '11 Hair 31
News AFC Divisional Recap: Ravens Eat Crow (Jan '11) Jan '11 Annoyed 1
News Steelers 31, Ravens 24: Roethlisberger's big pa... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jonathan S 1
More from around the web