No tear, so cut a deal for Grossman

No tear, so cut a deal for Grossman

There are 85 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 7, 2007, titled No tear, so cut a deal for Grossman. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Please resist referring to Rex Grossman as injury-prone because a missed block Thursday night resulted in his fourth injury in five NFL seasons - a sprained knee not nearly as serious as originally feared.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
rflashj

Sacramento, CA

#1 Dec 7, 2007
I agree. Sign him up and lets draft some more-needed linemen.
Brian

Aurora, IL

#2 Dec 7, 2007
Please...for everyone's sake, including Rex's, stop suggesting the Bears sign Grossman. He is the Kerry Wood of the Bears -- someone who can show a flash of talent (though Wood had much more) yet continually disappoint year after year after year.

If Rex signs with someone else, good for him. It's just better for us to move on.
Paul

Peoria, AZ

#3 Dec 7, 2007
The definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

http://www.bearshistory.com/lore/chicagobears...
billy c true bear

AOL

#4 Dec 7, 2007
grossman stinks. He is slow in the pocket, will NOT step up in the pocket like a REAL quarterback. We saw it against the chargers the cowboys and the giants, who were begging to be beaten. He simply runs slowly backwards while the pocket beckons-he cannot throw the ball away-he is careless with the ball in his hands; a fumbalina botcher of snaps-remember the superbowl? At this point, if the BEARS stay with grossman I will remain dilligent until the Mike Singletary ERA begins. God, Mcmahon who was hurt all the time could step up in the Pocket and he won the super bowl

“Let's rock!!”

Since: Oct 07

Aurora, IL

#5 Dec 7, 2007
Brian wrote:
Please...for everyone's sake, including Rex's, stop suggesting the Bears sign Grossman. He is the Kerry Wood of the Bears -- someone who can show a flash of talent (though Wood had much more) yet continually disappoint year after year after year.
If Rex signs with someone else, good for him. It's just better for us to move on.
I agree! Five seasons with four season-ending injuries, and that is not "injury prone"...?

Grossman will be 28 next season, so he's already approaching journeyman age & injury history. We should let him go and invest the money in a young QB, while working with Orton. I don't see any upside to keeping him around.
Banana

Lisle, IL

#6 Dec 7, 2007
Orton has a stronger arm and should be goven a chance. The season's over anyway.
Mike

Tucson, AZ

#7 Dec 7, 2007
I completely agree. I think he deserves another year, but this time with a line in front of him to give him time. He improved considerably from the beginning of the season and wasn't making the errant passes for interceptions he was early in the season. If he works on stepping up in the pocket when there's pressure from the sides, and is given a better line so that isn't happening so often, I think he ends up being one of the better quarterbacks on the league. A lot of people want to put everything on him, but the defense has significantly underperformed and the offensive line has been terrible. Special teams has been the loan bright spot for the Bears. You gotta love Hester.
fed up

Fort Myers, FL

#8 Dec 7, 2007
Wreck's injury had NOTHING to do with the game or his pathetic performance to date; the dude is not NFL caliber, period; point: have you seen other QB's in the league? Did you see "old man" Boller the other night against NE? Have you seen GB's young stud, Rodgers? I won't event mention the likes of Favre or Brady. Grossman and his protégé, Griese, are an embarrassment to anyone who can actually throw the ball. It's time to move on, Lovie; find us a G*# D*&$# quarterback!!
Truth and you all know it

AOL

#9 Dec 7, 2007
The Bears offensive line (and they are truly offensive) is so ventilated,they cant stop anyone from taking shots at whoevers starting @QB. When Grossman or Griese has more than 3 seconds with a fairly open reciever they usually hit them. The receiving corps is not doing the Bears any favors either. They are all running routes as if they are counting on someone else catching the ball. And when it does hit them, they aren't usually successful at catching it. I bet that all three Bear Q-backs will be looking to scuttle their Bear jerseys for anywhere else. I dont want to see Griese anymore. He has no arm or ball speed. If Orton starts, he too will be raped by the opposing defense. Sign Grossman if he will take us back, lose Griese and #69, keep Orton and buy big, talented lineman.
DAVID

United States

#10 Dec 7, 2007
It would be nice if the author realized that the NFL/union agreement specifically prohibits incentives/bonuses for health. And why would Rex sign a contract that will punish him for being a victim of bad blocking anyway? Yes, the Bears try to should sign Grossman as a stopgap, but they need to be looking at REAL alternatives, like McNabb or a QB in the draft.
Jason

Plainfield, IL

#11 Dec 8, 2007
McNabb? You wanna talk about injury prone. It would be just like the Bears to pick up a QB who is past his prime and truly injury prone...with a o-line that knows how to block I might add.

Sebastian,Fl

#13 Dec 8, 2007
Rex is only a stop gap QB, he has an arm that can really throw the the long ball probably as good as anyone, but he lacks mobility and escapability (if there is such a word) time for Rex and the Bears to move ahead, the experiment is over.

“Text OR drive...can't do both!”

Location hidden

#14 Dec 8, 2007
As usual, the Rex haters refuse to see the big picture. Sign him! We are 19-10 when he starts in the last few years and 22-25 when he doesn't. It's not about whether he is superstar caliber or not, it's about whether he can win games for the Bears. All you haters that say he can't win games for us, you're wrong.
Go SOX-Hawks-Bears

AOL

#15 Dec 8, 2007
I am not sure the people that say Rex is a Bad QB Know Football to well or watch the games. He makes mistakes like all QB`s do but.... hjave you seen our offense Line play?? Have seen the plays called?? You could make Brady look bad in this mess.

Sign him, get some decent offensive linemen, Get Urlacher healthy again and lets roll back to the Super Bowl.

PS-
The O line was very good a couple years ago but injuries and age has made it a mess.
Paul

Peoria, AZ

#16 Dec 8, 2007
Do the Bears have a company mission statement that actually says they must win without a QB?
Pete M

Glendale Heights, IL

#17 Dec 8, 2007
Have you ever watched the Patriot's o-line? They are almost like a well-oiled machine when Brady steps back for a pass. He's given more time and he is well protected....that is why these high profile q-backs are hardly injured; their coaches are smart enough to surround them with an o-line that will actually protect him. Griese and Grossman are given half the time to throw the ball, let alone get out of the way of some of these bloated defensive linemen!
I say, the Bears should use their first 5 rounds of draft picks on o-line...then, maybe dangle some trade bait for some decent receivers; except for Berrian.

“Text OR drive...can't do both!”

Location hidden

#18 Dec 8, 2007
Pete M wrote:
Have you ever watched the Patriot's o-line? They are almost like a well-oiled machine when Brady steps back for a pass. He's given more time and he is well protected....that is why these high profile q-backs are hardly injured; their coaches are smart enough to surround them with an o-line that will actually protect him. Griese and Grossman are given half the time to throw the ball, let alone get out of the way of some of these bloated defensive linemen!
I say, the Bears should use their first 5 rounds of draft picks on o-line...then, maybe dangle some trade bait for some decent receivers; except for Berrian.
Yeah! A Bears fan with a brain. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Erin

Cicero, IL

#19 Dec 8, 2007
Even Brady and Manning wouldn't survive if they had to play behind the Bears' offensive line which leaks like a sieve. Watch Manning some time stand back and wait to pass with no opponent touching him. Grossman can throw the ball with accuracy, a rare circumstance over the years for the Bears. But for goodness sake, get him an offensive line and an offensive coordinator who call call something other than two plays off right tackle and pass.
Jamie

United States

#20 Dec 8, 2007
Why would Grossman even want to come back to this train wreck of a team? You don't need a crystal ball to see what's ahead. This ship is sinking fast.
overthehill

United States

#21 Dec 8, 2007
While Grossman does leave something to be desired with his immobility and inability to find his own pocket, the real problem is that the Bears have not had a running game in years. Even Thomas was mediocre. Benson and Petersen are sub-par. With no running game, there isn't an offensive line in the business that can protect the Q-back. Any team can stop the bears. A one-dimensional attack is doomed, and the Bears only have half of that. Ron Turner could be a genius (which he definitely isn't) and he couldn't design an offense that can work.
When we look at other Q-backs, we forget the running game that they have to give them an edge.
Couple this with a head coach who continues to tout the run and you have today's Bears.
Other teams don't even listen anymore when Lovie talks about how the Bears are going to "establish the run" They just stuff Benson or Peterson and then tee off on whoever the Q-back might be when it's third and long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Collins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bears backup Caleb Hanie looking out for No. 2 (Aug '11) Aug '11 Walkfarts 2
News Martz expresses confidence in backup QB Hanie (Aug '11) Aug '11 Laughing Bear Fan 2
News Bears are Prime Example of Why Packers Should K... (May '11) May '11 Laughing Bear Fan 4
News Rodgers leads Pack to Super Bowl, beat Bears 21-14 (Feb '11) Feb '11 gather 3
News Coach: Bears' Cutler sprained ligament (Jan '11) Jan '11 LOL 1
News Injury to insult: Bears QB Jay Cutler falls fla... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Go Blue 15
News Rodgers Leads Pack To Super Bowl, Beat Bears 21... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Anonymous 4
More from around the web