Zorn says Campbell is the starter in 2008

Feb 22, 2008 Full story: NFL News 9

“Jason Campbell must know that he is the starter... I don't want to go into training camp with him not knowing or have this thing up for grabs”

There will be no quarterback controversy in Washington next season. New head coach Jim Zorn says Jason Campbell will start in 2008, despite Todd Collins leading the Redskins to the playoffs this season. via NFL News

Full Story
retroman 44

Spring Hill, FL

#1 Feb 23, 2008
I THINK THIS A HARDHEADED POSITION. CAMPBELL IS NO WHERE AS DEVELOPED A Q B AS SKINS NEED ,WHERE TODD IS ,AND LOOK AT THE PRODUCTION LEVEL. TODD IS SO SUPERIOR ,I AM REALLY PUZZLED ON THIS. I DONT SEE CAMPBELL RISING TO NEEDED LEVEL ANYTIME SOON,SO COME ON BOYS =USE YOUR HEADS.
dc in tx

San Antonio, TX

#2 Feb 23, 2008
the future is now, and that is j. campbell. not todd who is a pocket-passer, "career" back-up qb that had a good run to end the season.
retroman 44

Spring Hill, FL

#3 Feb 23, 2008
ILL TAKEA106% BACKUP TO A 70% STARTER ANYDAY
kenfm2000

Helena, MT

#4 Feb 24, 2008
A little competition for the position would be good. At the same time though you're starting a quarterback who over the last several years has been through several offensive systems. With Collins he has been in one system for a very long time. When given the chance in that system he did very well. How will he really do in the new system. We'd find out if there was a little competition for the starting position.
I do feel if he comes off the bench late in the season he won't be anywhere as close as far as preparation or performance.
Kryllion

Wakefield, MA

#5 Feb 24, 2008
I agree with Ken - Collins did great in a scheme he's been studying from the sideline for 7 years with nothing else to do. He's too old and unproven to lead a rebuilding effort. It's gotta be JC.
Pappy

Mobile, AL

#6 Feb 25, 2008
Having been a skins fan for 40 years I will continue to pull for the skins no matter what, however I think that leaving Campbell as starter is a big mistake for 2 reasons. First of all Campbell is a powerhouse in the first half but looses momentum in the second half. Poor leadership, fumbles and interceptions keeps the defense on the field too much and by the end of the game they are exhausted and cant preform. Collins proved he can monopolize the clock and give the defense the rest they need. Matched up, I think the skins would rally better under the leadership of Todd Collins.
Kryllion

Wakefield, MA

#7 Mar 20, 2008
Pappy, I agree that Collins is the better quarterback, but I don't think he should be the starter for three reasons:

1. The only system he's known for the past seven years is Saunders'. He's never had a drop of success in any system he hasn't had time to study for 6 years from the bench.

2. When Collins came in after Cambell went down, none of the teams had any modern-age film of him to gameplan against. He was an unknown (and underrated), so nobody really had an idea of the best way to stop him going in. He's not going to do as well against teams that have been preparing for him since before the season.

3. No QB in their late 30's is going to be the future of anything. We may have the talent on the field, despite losing Taylor (RIP) to compete at a high level, but let's be honest: our head coach has never even been a coordinator, and neither has our offensive coordinator. We should be looking at a serious playoff run 3-4 years from now, not now.
Bigpops52

Woodbridge, VA

#8 Mar 20, 2008
Zorn is not going to be timid about pulling any starter that is not doing his job or performing mediocre. Naming Jason as his starter takes all doubt out of Jason's mind and should allow him totally concentrate on his game, which I beleive will be better this Year under Zorn. But unlike Gibbs, if Jason shows his other side, Todd is one play away with Zorn at the helm and I like this fresh new situation here in Washington.
Kryllion

Wakefield, MA

#9 Mar 21, 2008
Spurrier coached that way (pull a guy based on a bad day), and it ruined a lot of NFL careers, including his own, so I hope that's not the case.

I mean this next question seriously - not a knock - what is it about Zorn that gives you the indication that he will pull a guy quickly? He has never been in a position at any level to make that decision before.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Collins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bears backup Caleb Hanie looking out for No. 2 (Aug '11) Aug '11 Walkfarts 2
Martz expresses confidence in backup QB Hanie (Aug '11) Aug '11 Laughing Bear Fan 2
Bears are Prime Example of Why Packers Should K... (May '11) May '11 Laughing Bear Fan 4
Rodgers leads Pack to Super Bowl, beat Bears 21-14 (Feb '11) Feb '11 gather 3
Coach: Bears' Cutler sprained ligament (Jan '11) Jan '11 LOL 1
Injury to insult: Bears QB Jay Cutler falls fla... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Go Blue 15
Rodgers Leads Pack To Super Bowl, Beat Bears 21... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Anonymous 4
More from around the web