College Football Notebook; New Vols c...

College Football Notebook; New Vols coach reassures fans | The ...

There are 42 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 16, 2010, titled College Football Notebook; New Vols coach reassures fans | The .... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Tennessee was impressed with Derek Dooley's work at Louisiana Tech and as an assistant under Nick Saban at LSU.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ImUrPO

Youngstown, OH

#1 Jan 16, 2010
I'd like to take this time to say good luck to Coach Derek Dooley.. After what Lane Kiffin did, I hope this guy succeeds & Kiffin falls flat on his face.
olbuck

Smyrna, TN

#2 Jan 16, 2010
ImUrPO wrote:
I'd like to take this time to say good luck to Coach Derek Dooley.. After what Lane Kiffin did, I hope this guy succeeds & Kiffin falls flat on his face.
Have to second what you say and also add that Kiffin was a piece of trash and S.Cal deserves him. Do not give a hoot for Tn. football or their lousy fans but will wish Dooley well, he is a class act
Bill R

Montesano, WA

#3 Jan 16, 2010
Indeed, I have a new team to watch in UT, as I
want to see Dooley demonstrate that both
recruiting and winning can be done without the
corrupt, cynical attitude toward both NCAA
rules and basic sportsmanship displayed by the
likes of Kiffin, Carroll, and others.

Hopefully the day will come when the NCAA lays
sanctions onto the coaches as well as the schools
at which they committed violations. Kiffin,
like Carroll, should be capable of receiving
the same penalties as their schools .... even
the death penalty ... banishment from the
coaching ranks.

Until the NCAA does this, things are misdirected
unless it is clear the school asked that the
rules be violated.
UT IN PURGATORY

United States

#4 Jan 16, 2010
DOOLEY will make it about 3 years and he will be fired ! There's no way this guy can recruit and compete with the SEC'S elite !
And then after HAMILTON is fired also, a new AD will go out and spend multi millions to lure a high profile coach to KNOXVILLE !
How many times have we seen this story play out ?
BIG ORANGE fans may not want to hear this but deep down they know its true !
Bill R

Montesano, WA

#5 Jan 16, 2010
UT IN PURGATORY wrote:
DOOLEY will make it about 3 years and he will be fired ! There's no way this guy can recruit and compete with the SEC'S elite !
And then after HAMILTON is fired also, a new AD will go out and spend multi millions to lure a high profile coach to KNOXVILLE !
How many times have we seen this story play out ?
BIG ORANGE fans may not want to hear this but deep down they know its true !
OK, genius. Give us a list of 5 people who could have been
chosen to compete with the "SEC elite"? Are they available?
Should UT pay whatever amount it requires to get this
Christ-coach you want?

Its easy to be cynical. Not easy to be constructive.
UT IN PURGATORY

United States

#6 Jan 16, 2010
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, genius. Give us a list of 5 people who could have been
chosen to compete with the "SEC elite"? Are they available?
Should UT pay whatever amount it requires to get this
Christ-coach you want?
Its easy to be cynical. Not easy to be constructive.
Cynical ?
Id say realistic !
I didn't say that the right coach was available at the moment and you can thank Kippy for that not me.
I'm just stating a fact , that history always repeats itself.
And a VINCE DOOLEY pedigree doesn't mean very much, just look at the SHULA'S and BOWDEN'S !
He'll be fired in 3 years and then the right coach will be hired ! FACT !
Bill R

Montesano, WA

#7 Jan 16, 2010
UT IN PURGATORY wrote:
<quoted text>
Cynical ?
Id say realistic !
I didn't say that the right coach was available at the moment and you can thank Kippy for that not me.
I'm just stating a fact , that history always repeats itself.
And a VINCE DOOLEY pedigree doesn't mean very much, just look at the SHULA'S and BOWDEN'S !
He'll be fired in 3 years and then the right coach will be hired ! FACT !
C'mon .... you dodged the question. Who is your man to
compete with the "SEC elite?"
Bill R

Montesano, WA

#8 Jan 16, 2010
Forgot to ask .... and why would you think such
a coach would give up what he has to go to the
UT?
Titusville Rob

Titusville, FL

#9 Jan 17, 2010
I think Ut made a good choice. It kind of reminds me of the one OSU made with Tressel. Instead of the latest up and coming flavor of the week coach they have selected a coach with a pedigree who shows some class. Good luck
Mike S

Columbia, SC

#10 Jan 17, 2010
Does not remind me of Tressel at all. Tressel was a PROVEN head coach.
Tressel was 137-57-2 as a head coach. He was 4 time I-AA coach of the year and had 4 NATIONAL Titles. Tressel built a program. Dooley is 17-20 as a head coach. This is a WORSE hire than Kiffin. Kiffin could at least bring his daddy and Orgeron. Good luck UT finding a new coach in 3 years.
UT IN PURGATORY

United States

#11 Jan 17, 2010
Mike S wrote:
Does not remind me of Tressel at all. Tressel was a PROVEN head coach.
Tressel was 137-57-2 as a head coach. He was 4 time I-AA coach of the year and had 4 NATIONAL Titles. Tressel built a program. Dooley is 17-20 as a head coach. This is a WORSE hire than Kiffin. Kiffin could at least bring his daddy and Orgeron. Good luck UT finding a new coach in 3 years.
LOL
Your exactly right !
These VOLS have never heard of the YOUNGSTOWN STATE PENGUINS ! LOL
DOOLEY and TRESS have nothing in common !
Now What

Columbus, OH

#12 Jan 17, 2010
This Dooley fellow reminds me of a young Senator Tressel. I think the Volunteers definitely upgraded their coaching situation. Kiffin is a dirtbag, and hopefully he fails tremoundsly at USC.
Bill R

Montesano, WA

#13 Jan 17, 2010
Now What wrote:
This Dooley fellow reminds me of a young Senator Tressel. I think the Volunteers definitely upgraded their coaching situation. Kiffin is a dirtbag, and hopefully he fails tremoundsly at USC.
Prediction: Kiffin will fail at USC and consent to a
well-paid-for interview in which he blames the failure
of Pete Carroll to control his staff, which caused the
loss of scholarships and diminished Kiffin's crew to
recruit.

Kiffin will never admit to failure. He is your basic
sociopath, unable to comprehend the damage he causes
to others or to understand the consequences of his
actions on others.

Kiffin .... also look under the word "narcissism."
Bill R

Montesano, WA

#14 Jan 17, 2010
Now What wrote:
Dooley is a welcome entry into the major college coaching ranks,
though this is contrary to some who think Top 25 football is
a coach's club in which change represents a rearrangement of
the Gatorade jugs on the 50 yard line.

We need a new generation of coaches and Dooley might be among
them. He's got 5 years to come out with a BCS bowl entry.
Just Me Wolfie

Kailua, HI

#15 Jan 17, 2010
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
Prediction: Kiffin will fail at USC and consent to a
well-paid-for interview in which he blames the failure
of Pete Carroll to control his staff, which caused the
loss of scholarships and diminished Kiffin's crew to
recruit.
Kiffin will never admit to failure. He is your basic
sociopath, unable to comprehend the damage he causes
to others or to understand the consequences of his
actions on others.
Kiffin .... also look under the word "narcissism."
Bill I agree with you. If LAME KIFFIN has a bad season, then let me say this, he will pass the buck and blame Pete Carroll. Now that would be funny. That is like folks blaming Bush for the Christmas airplane bombing. Same thing only in football. BTW LAME and his family moved to Manhattan Beach the town next to me, makes me want to puke. I heard from some friends his wife was at the mall, and folks were calling them LAME go HOME. We do not want LAME. LA folks I feel sorry for his kids where they will go to school. USC fans HATE HIM!

I see season ticket sales going way down. Hell can some NFL team just come and get him the hell outta here!
Just Me Wolfie

Kailua, HI

#16 Jan 17, 2010
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
Dooley is a welcome entry into the major college coaching ranks,
though this is contrary to some who think Top 25 football is
a coach's club in which change represents a rearrangement of
the Gatorade jugs on the 50 yard line.
We need a new generation of coaches and Dooley might be among
them. He's got 5 years to come out with a BCS bowl entry.
As I have said, the day Dooley was announced, I LOVE HIM! He is a GREAT MAN! BTW his kids name is Petyon after Peyton Manning the GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAYER EVER IN THE NFL! Sorry I just LOVE PEYTON!
UT IN PURGATORY

United States

#17 Jan 17, 2010
NEWSFLASH- JAN-10-2012
Newly hired UNIVERSITY of TENNESSEE A.D. Phillip Fulmer has started a search for another football coach just two seasons after former A.D. Hamilton hired Derek Dooley away from POWERHOUSE LOUISIANA TECH , this all comes as quit a shock throughout the state of LOUISIANA considering that DOLLEY had compiled a record of 2-38 during his impressive time at TECH and is considered a "COACHING GOD" throughout the south.
Bill R

Montesano, WA

#18 Jan 17, 2010
Just Me Wolfie wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have said, the day Dooley was announced, I LOVE HIM! He is a GREAT MAN! BTW his kids name is Petyon after Peyton Manning the GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAYER EVER IN THE NFL! Sorry I just LOVE PEYTON!
No need to apologize for our surrender to emotions ...
this is football.
Bill R

Montesano, WA

#19 Jan 17, 2010
Just Me Wolfie wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill I agree with you. If LAME KIFFIN has a bad season, then let me say this, he will pass the buck and blame Pete Carroll. Now that would be funny. That is like folks blaming Bush for the Christmas airplane bombing. Same thing only in football. BTW LAME and his family moved to Manhattan Beach the town next to me, makes me want to puke. I heard from some friends his wife was at the mall, and folks were calling them LAME go HOME. We do not want LAME. LA folks I feel sorry for his kids where they will go to school. USC fans HATE HIM!
I see season ticket sales going way down. Hell can some NFL team just come and get him the hell outta here!
In the end, college football is about the kids, so I don't see
ticket sales going down because ... no doubt ... there is an accumulated waiting line. Oreogn has one as well that masks
the failures of any coach.

What has not been addressed by Garrett is a simple quesiton:
What are Kiffin's ACTUAL credentials? Errrrr ... "I was an
assistant coach under Pete Carroll. Errrr ... I agreed to
coach under Al Davis. I pretty much sucked and got fired.
Errrr ... I went to UT and won one more game than I lost.

Whooppee! And now he has the "#1 job in football!"

No credentials. None whatsoever. Zilch. Zero. None.
Just Me Wolfie

Kailua, HI

#20 Jan 17, 2010
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
In the end, college football is about the kids, so I don't see
ticket sales going down because ... no doubt ... there is an accumulated waiting line. Oreogn has one as well that masks
the failures of any coach.
What has not been addressed by Garrett is a simple quesiton:
What are Kiffin's ACTUAL credentials? Errrrr ... "I was an
assistant coach under Pete Carroll. Errrr ... I agreed to
coach under Al Davis. I pretty much sucked and got fired.
Errrr ... I went to UT and won one more game than I lost.
Whooppee! And now he has the "#1 job in football!"
No credentials. None whatsoever. Zilch. Zero. None.
As my husband said the day he was announced as the head Coach. Lane Kiffin is the only Coach who has failed his way to the TOP!

Ticket sales had dropped for this past season. This year for sure ticket sales will be down. I guarantee you that. No we will not be going to games every weekend. No way. I just do not care for Kiffen. He is not likeable. And you know what USC is facing. I think the NCAA might make an example out of USC to teach the other elite schools a lesson. I do think they are going to lose a bunch not a few but a bunch of scholarships. And now Bowl games for maybe two years. If they get away with a lesser then everyone will be cheating. Really? I was just reading about Lane Kiffen sending Hostess girls to out of state trips for recruiting. Really if they have to stoop to that what next? Giving them drugs or guns?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toby Gerhart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jaguars optimistic about offense (Sep '14) Sep '14 Loseruars 1
News How the Eagles Can Shut Down Toby Gerhart, Jagu... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mark Brunell 3
News 5 Worst Teams In NFL Heading Into 2014 Season (Aug '14) Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 21
News CBS Sports says Toby Gerhart is a better fantas... (Aug '14) Aug '14 TealTards 1
News Jaguars fourth on least desirable list (Aug '14) Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 6
News Jacksonville Jaguars Make Appearances in ESPN's... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Fartville 1
News Making the Leap, No. 8: Jaguars' Toby Gerhart (Jul '14) Aug '14 Spielman 2
More from around the web