Doug Krikorian: Family struggling wit...

Doug Krikorian: Family struggling with Round 2 of cancer battle

There are 19 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Jun 30, 2010, titled Doug Krikorian: Family struggling with Round 2 of cancer battle. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

The Thayer family, clockwise from left: Bailey, 13, mom Jennifer, dad Lance, Jalen, 14, and Sammy, 7. Breanna Thayer, who died of a brain tumor in 2005.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

Long Beach

Long Beach, CA

#1 Jun 30, 2010
All Gods blessings and best regards.
CHS

Long Beach, CA

#2 Jun 30, 2010
The Thayers live in our tract and I talked to them last week. They are so positive and strong.
LB RES

Long Beach, CA

#3 Jun 30, 2010
Inspiring. Keep strong.
Wrigley Gal

Long Beach, CA

#4 Jul 1, 2010
Let's all wish this family much strength and good wishes.
God Bless

Surfside, CA

#5 Jul 1, 2010
God Bless the Thayer family. I could not imagine losing one child to cancer and having another child battle the same disease a few years later, horrific!! If there is justification to allow a teacher who has been pink slipped to keep his / her job, this is it. It would be horrible for Mr. Thayer to lose his job and insurance benefits at this time when his son needs it so much. If teachers who teach AP and AVID can be skipped, so should Mr. Thayer. My prayers are with him and his family.
Pam

Wichita, KS

#6 Jul 1, 2010
My heart goes out to you. I just lost my husband to GBM after a 19 month battle. This is such a tragic disease. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. God Bless you all. XOXO
Brittany Doyle- Embery

Long Beach, CA

#7 Jul 1, 2010
im happy for the boy with cancer because he is still doing what he loves even thorugh he has cancer
Childhood Cancer Survivor

La Mirada, CA

#8 Jul 1, 2010
Doug- How do we get in contact with this family? I had Hodgkin's Disease (Lymphatic cancer) when I was 16 years old. I know what it is like to go school sick and bald.(I would go to my classes and then throw up in the bathroom on my breaks and lunch.)Thanks to my oncologist and God I have been in remission for 17 years. I, like so many others, would love to give this family a little money to help. I do not have a lot, but what I do have I would like to send to this family. Thank you.
LBJ

Surfside, CA

#9 Jul 1, 2010
Doug - thanks for writing this article. Lance Thayer is a first-class educator and inspiration to his students. My hopes and prayers go out to his family. I am so proud of Jalen and the stand that he has taken.
Jeanne Iovine

Anaheim, CA

#10 Jul 1, 2010
Our family will keep your entire family in our prayers.
Shelley

Long Beach, CA

#11 Jul 1, 2010
God bless them. I will spread the word.
My husband was hit (here in Long Beach at Palo Verde & Stearns) in a near fatal accident last week, and remains in critical condition at Memorial, so their trauma right now, I can relate to a bit.

I will keep the family in my prayers, it's all I can do for now. God will provide and I pray they continue to be strong.
Amy Davis

Long Beach, CA

#12 Jul 1, 2010
Seniority sucks! Why can't the system be overlooked in this tragic case so this man won't have to lose his job?
Long Beach

Long Beach, CA

#13 Jul 1, 2010
Shelley wrote:
God bless them. I will spread the word.
My husband was hit (here in Long Beach at Palo Verde & Stearns) in a near fatal accident last week, and remains in critical condition at Memorial, so their trauma right now, I can relate to a bit.
I will keep the family in my prayers, it's all I can do for now. God will provide and I pray they continue to be strong.
Shelly,

May God Bless and give your husband strength and your family hope during your time of need.
Annie

Long Beach, CA

#14 Jul 1, 2010
God bless this family. I wish them all the best.
Jacqui Pope

United States

#15 Jul 1, 2010
Our family continues to lift the Thayer family up in prayer.My entire family has been inspired by Jalen's spirit and disposition. May The Lord bless and keep you and give you strength.
Michelle

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for the article on my nephew and the journey that my brother and his young family is having to go through again. Jalen's a survivor and just an incredible kid - like Lance said - we can all learn a lot from him and its been a honor to say he is part of my family.
562vert

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Jul 2, 2010
I will pray for the Thayer family. I personally know Lance from the athletic department at millikan and i had no idea this was going on , how could i when he comes to work everyday with a positive attitude and energetic ways... he is a strong man and by what i read about his son, he is just like his father i will keep the thayer family in my prayers
Dmusick

Yukon, OK

#18 Jul 4, 2010
Prayers go out to Jalen and the entire Thayer family.

Our son was 26 years old when he was diagnosed with a glioblastoma multiforme. Although he has had to change a number of things in his life, we are all amazed by his spirit. It has been a little over a year since his diagnosis and surgery. He also continues chemotherapy. Unable to work his full-time job at this time, he headed to culinary school, a long-time dream of his. Our entire family surrounds him with love and care and he reciprocates that love.

Jalen, keep up your amazing attitude! Stay busy! Believe in healing! There is so much research going on against this terrible disease. We believe in a God who can deliver miracles through the minds and hearts of medical professionals.

Our son is a little older than you, but wears bracelets that say, "Cancer Sucks" and "Kickin' Cancer's Ass". It makes those hairless days and not-so-good days a little easier to take! We are thinking of you as you fight your fight!
Shelley

Long Beach, CA

#19 Jul 4, 2010
Long Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Shelly,
May God Bless and give your husband strength and your family hope during your time of need.
Thank you so much. I still continue to pray for this family too.
Living at the hospital like I have for these 2 weeks, in the critical care department, I see so much tragedy.:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toby Gerhart Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jaguars optimistic about offense (Sep '14) Sep '14 Loseruars 1
News How the Eagles Can Shut Down Toby Gerhart, Jagu... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mark Brunell 3
News 5 Worst Teams In NFL Heading Into 2014 Season (Aug '14) Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 21
News CBS Sports says Toby Gerhart is a better fantas... (Aug '14) Aug '14 TealTards 1
News Jaguars fourth on least desirable list (Aug '14) Aug '14 Flatulence Fred 6
News Jacksonville Jaguars Make Appearances in ESPN's... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Fartville 1
News Making the Leap, No. 8: Jaguars' Toby Gerhart (Jul '14) Aug '14 Spielman 2
More from around the web