Jets new coach Ryan has fire that Mangini lacked

Full story: Newsday

It was the one thing Eric Mangini lacked during his three seasons as the Jets ' coach.
Comments
1 - 20 of 108 Comments Last updated Jan 23, 2009
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
charleyjet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 20, 2009
 
Teams always hire the opposite of the last coach. I seem to remember a "fiery demeanor" on the sideline in the Herminator. So the next coach was a thinking man, x and o guy. On it goes.
richieb pennsylvania

Medford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 20, 2009
 
thank the Lord !!! mangini needed to have his pulse taken when he stared into space every game !! that guy never said one word to his players when he stood there ! he looked like an idiot !
Hopeful

Old Westbury, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 20, 2009
 
This is all the more reason Brett Favre HAS TO COME BACK!
He couldn't do it all himself. As it is they went from 4 & 12 in '07 to 9 & 7 in '08 with him aboard. How much can you expect one person to do? They never utilized his talent to the fullest. Mangini never "uncorked" him. Probably because he knew they couldn't handle the magic he brings to a game. As you pointed out Favre is exhuberant - I hope they didn't take that out of him - it sounds like he would work very well with Ryan and the team would finally catch the fever.
You frequently "pick" on Favre - maybe you should "pick" on Eli Manning and encourage his retirement. He must be washed up at 28, afterall, he threw all those interceptions to eliminate his team from the Playoffs!!!!

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 20, 2009
 
Hopeful wrote:
This is all the more reason Brett Favre HAS TO COME BACK!
He couldn't do it all himself. As it is they went from 4 & 12 in '07 to 9 & 7 in '08 with him aboard. How much can you expect one person to do? They never utilized his talent to the fullest. Mangini never "uncorked" him. Probably because he knew they couldn't handle the magic he brings to a game. As you pointed out Favre is exhuberant - I hope they didn't take that out of him - it sounds like he would work very well with Ryan and the team would finally catch the fever.
You frequently "pick" on Favre - maybe you should "pick" on Eli Manning and encourage his retirement. He must be washed up at 28, afterall, he threw all those interceptions to eliminate his team from the Playoffs!!!!
you can't be serious. do you watch football?
justsayin

Lehighton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 20, 2009
 
richieb pennsylvania wrote:
thank the Lord !!! mangini needed to have his pulse taken when he stared into space every game !! that guy never said one word to his players when he stood there ! he looked like an idiot !
Do you remember the name tom Landry
What do you want on the sidelines a madman, coaches have different ways..
Time will tell if ryan can produce the goods, I hope he does well...But being a fired up hot head does not make you a winner! One more thing just because the jets spent some money on players is not a sure thing
look a the cowboys! This is not all the fault of mangini.. He deserves some blame... but he is the one to pay!

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 20, 2009
 
justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember the name tom Landry
What do you want on the sidelines a madman, coaches have different ways..
Time will tell if ryan can produce the goods, I hope he does well...But being a fired up hot head does not make you a winner! One more thing just because the jets spent some money on players is not a sure thing
look a the cowboys! This is not all the fault of mangini.. He deserves some blame... but he is the one to pay!
you'll see. if rex ryan turns out to be a loud mouth and the jets continue to lose, the posters will be on here saying, "we need a coach who's not so verbose". posters on here do not ever come back and admit they're wrong.
for every coach who yells and wins, there's a coach who has a quiet demeanor and wins. belichick, laundry, noll, shula....
look at madden. the quintessential screamer. hall of fame players on both sides of the ball. ONE super Bowl.
kelley

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 20, 2009
 
Hopeful wrote:
This is all the more reason Brett Favre HAS TO COME BACK!
He couldn't do it all himself. As it is they went from 4 & 12 in '07 to 9 & 7 in '08 with him aboard. How much can you expect one person to do? They never utilized his talent to the fullest. Mangini never "uncorked" him. Probably because he knew they couldn't handle the magic he brings to a game. As you pointed out Favre is exhuberant - I hope they didn't take that out of him - it sounds like he would work very well with Ryan and the team would finally catch the fever.
You frequently "pick" on Favre - maybe you should "pick" on Eli Manning and encourage his retirement. He must be washed up at 28, afterall, he threw all those interceptions to eliminate his team from the Playoffs!!!!
I agree, big ben who threw 22 interceptions in
2007 and the next year he is in the superbowl.
the problem with favre he got hurt. he is the
best the jets got until they draft a qb.

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 20, 2009
 
kelley wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, big ben who threw 22 interceptions in
2007 and the next year he is in the superbowl.
the problem with favre he got hurt. he is the
best the jets got until they draft a qb.
another one who doesn't watch football. Favre was a huge mistake from the beginning. you need to develop a qb. all getting Favre did was delay that. you can't argue this fact. did any of you favre fans watch him in his last game before he left the pack???
Rex

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 20, 2009
 
Jets need a coach who can COACH. Demeanor is unimportant. We'll see what happens. Meanwhile, the Cardinals prepare for the Super Bowl. THE CARDINALS!!!
kelley

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 20, 2009
 
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
another one who doesn't watch football. Favre was a huge mistake from the beginning. you need to develop a qb. all getting Favre did was delay that. you can't argue this fact. did any of you favre fans watch him in his last game before he left the pack???
go support the giants. I take favre over happy
feet clemens, and the undrafted qb ratliff anytime. its for 1 year, until ryan gets "his qb". as for the last game, remember chaddy, he
had bad games too. and i forgave him and i forgive
favre. go support eli.
Jack The Cabbie

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 20, 2009
 
richieb pennsylvania wrote:
thank the Lord !!! mangini needed to have his pulse taken when he stared into space every game !! that guy never said one word to his players when he stood there ! he looked like an idiot !
Well, at least he didn't wear his hat backwards and pick his nose like Joe Walton. Seriously, The Jets need SOMETHING to keep them inspired the whole season. I hope the new coach looks carefully at what happened in 08, and figures a way to keep guys as fresh as possible. Other teams do it, that is how you get to a Super Bowl. As far as who the QB will be, I hope Brett doesn't leave us hanging. If you want to retire, do it now. If you want to come back say so now as well. We have been through enough this past season and don't need any more crap!!
Chris

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 20, 2009
 
Good points, but this is the JETS, they will find a way to make him fail
Bobbay

Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 20, 2009
 
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
you'll see. if rex ryan turns out to be a loud mouth and the jets continue to lose, the posters will be on here saying, "we need a coach who's not so verbose". posters on here do not ever come back and admit they're wrong.
for every coach who yells and wins, there's a coach who has a quiet demeanor and wins. belichick, laundry, noll, shula....
look at madden. the quintessential screamer. hall of fame players on both sides of the ball. ONE super Bowl.
I'll take one super bowl.
Herms best quality was that he was emotional & loud. He 's just a bad coach who ran a horid version of the west coast.
Eric Ma-Gina

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 20, 2009
 

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 20, 2009
 
kelley wrote:
<quoted text>
go support the giants. I take favre over happy
feet clemens, and the undrafted qb ratliff anytime. its for 1 year, until ryan gets "his qb". as for the last game, remember chaddy, he
had bad games too. and i forgave him and i forgive
favre. go support eli.
please point to wear i said i liked clemons or the third stringer. please don't put words in my mouth. i didn't to you.
"until he get 'his' qb". what the hell does that mean. so, favre is a stop gap? a 13 million dollar stop gap? you are w/o clue

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 20, 2009
 
Bobbay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take one super bowl.
Herms best quality was that he was emotional & loud. He 's just a bad coach who ran a horid version of the west coast.
clearly you missed the point of my post. yesh!
kelley

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 20, 2009
 
Eric Ma-Gina wrote:
go support the dolphins, chad wants you as a fan!

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 20, 2009
 
kelley wrote:
<quoted text>
go support the giants. I take favre over happy
feet clemens, and the undrafted qb ratliff anytime. its for 1 year, until ryan gets "his qb". as for the last game, remember chaddy, he
had bad games too. and i forgave him and i forgive
favre. go support eli.
shame on me. talking sports with girls is useless. i have never had to forgive a professional athlete in my life. all i know is i watch the games. i've been rooting for the jets my whole life. I don't and never wanted Favre. it's not the answer for this team to achieve greatness.
you said it yourself, how much can one guy do? then why get him for all that money and a draft choice??? it was a bonehead move.

“2014 ! The Bar is Open !”

Since: Dec 07

a round for all

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 20, 2009
 
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
please point to wear i said i liked clemons or the third stringer. please don't put words in my mouth. i didn't to you.
"until he get 'his' qb". what the hell does that mean. so, favre is a stop gap? a 13 million dollar stop gap? you are w/o clue
I wish somebody would point to when the cost of a PSL is justified
kelley

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 20, 2009
 
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
please point to wear i said i liked clemons or the third stringer. please don't put words in my mouth. i didn't to you.
"until he get 'his' qb". what the hell does that mean. so, favre is a stop gap? a 13 million dollar stop gap? you are w/o clue
we have no quarterback, ryan will have to draft
a quarterback either this year or 2010, you really
think ryan wants mangini's leftovers?
favre is the only qb the jets have, FOR NOW!!do you want to go 4 and 12 with clemens?
i have season tickets and I want to see somebody
better than clemens, and ryan better draft a qb
if wants people like me buy psls. because I am not
going to buy them if i have to see ratliff as the starter in 2010. I want to see somebody like a
flacco type qb, not like a scrub like ratliff.
I can always support the mets.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Terrell Suggs Discussions

Search the Terrell Suggs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Cleveland Browns must get more from Paul Kruger Feb '14 Mike Lurz 1
Packers' Finley fires back at NFL for fine (Oct '13) Oct '13 GBPfan 3
The commissioner did it (Oct '13) Oct '13 Commissioner Gordon 1
Jason Butt and Glenn Younes Talk Ravens 53 Man ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Richard 1
Tank Carradine runs 4.75 to 4.85 at Saturday's ... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Thomas Hagen 1
Ravens, Steelers getting ready to play the feud (Dec '08) Feb '13 rob 4,858
Often loud, Suggs takes quiet approach on Day 1 (Jan '13) Jan '13 Pay 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••