Mike Preston's report card

Mike Preston's report card

There are 57 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Dec 15, 2008, titled Mike Preston's report card. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Quarterback: D- Joe Flacco looked like a rookie. He was misfiring, as a lot of passes sailed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Schocker8

Akron, OH

#43 Dec 15, 2008
c'mon Ravens...make the playoffs...i know no way you will lose 3 straight to the Stillers
Dolf

United States

#44 Dec 15, 2008
If I give the refs an F will I get Fined? I know you don't deserve to win if you can't score a TD, but they still sucked.
Baltimore East Louie

Hyattsville, MD

#45 Dec 15, 2008
I really would like to see the stats on average field position. I thinkk that will tell the tail of who has the better defense. The Ravens giving up 91 yards on a game winning drive really does not help in this case.
berne

Felda, FL

#46 Dec 15, 2008
Dubby wrote:
I wish we could grade the coaches, too. I would give them a D. Cam contributed to Joe's poor performance. The offense played scared. Afraid of Harrison in particular. Cam let Pittsburgh dictate his game plan. With the excellent field position in the first half, Cam should have let Joe take some shots. Instead he played into the smash-mouth football expectations instead of playing to score points. The offense played not to lose, thinking that the defense could win it. And after seeing the Browns, Patriots, Titans and now Steelers score on the D at the end of games in the past 2 years, can't we lay some of the blame on Rex Ryan. He is making the defensive calls on these final drives isn't he?
I agree
100% the play calling on offense was
terrible...they played not to lose
rather then to win.the play calling
was too predicable.
George from Pasadena

Glen Burnie, MD

#47 Dec 15, 2008
Preston is an idiot. Flacko is the best to hit the Ravens in a long time. By the wat Preston, Flacko is a rookie and a damn good one. I'm a diehard Steelers fan so I can be more objective than an emotional Ravens fan. Believe me Baltimore, you have the makings of a really great QB..
Cornelius Madry

Plymouth, MI

#48 Dec 15, 2008
After the first three plays (runs), you are saying --Cam, this is the time for "your bag of tricks, not three runs and out. Flacco was consistently third and long. His passes were either too high or too long. With two games left, get creative, pass on first or second down, and let Flacco "do his thing." Give us hope for '09.
McGahee_SUX

Holland, MI

#49 Dec 15, 2008
Ravens O and D coaches took a giant CRAP on the team...3rd time for the D. FIX it fat boy Ryan the D is good enough they dont need you to win just decent agressive play calling, wheres Billick?
McGahee_SUX

Holland, MI

#50 Dec 15, 2008
Well you can see they need help at WR, CB and RB, DE would help also Pryce looking a bit old out there. Better than we thought in training camp when the O line looked horrible and Boller was still the guy. Now its McGahee to blame until they throw him out like a sack of garbage he is. Hope Rice can go against Dallas they need him on third downs.
Darwin rules

Alpharetta, GA

#51 Dec 15, 2008
boring boring boring boring dull dull dull dull predicatable offense. Where were the risks that we have seen in prior games? THis was very painful to watch.
GTA

Washington, DC

#52 Dec 15, 2008
I don't see how special teams doesn't get an A. They were dominant.

Flacco definitely gets a D-. He really was bad. His passes sailed and there are definitely times when he doesn't feel pressure or release quickly enough. But this was a good "growth" game for him. He'll adapt.

In his defense, the Ravens still do not have a receiver who can get open QUICKLY. Mason is a possession receiver (and a fine one), but he can be double teamed. Clayton only seems to get open when he has lots of time. Figurs and the others can't get separation at all.

The 4th Quarter defense was horrible. It's pretty sad when Fabian Washington is the best corner on the field. Walker, Rolle looked lost in the 4th quarter. And where was the pressure on the QB?

It makes no sense: the Ravens rush only 3 to limit the passing lanes but receivers get more open than ever.

Next season's shopping list:

1. 1-2 playmaker receivers (draft or trade)
2. 1-2 cover corners (draft or trade)
3. 1 solid pass rushing defensive lineman

(No, I don't think we'll get all that, it just needs to be on the list.)
Poe

Gwynn Oak, MD

#53 Dec 15, 2008
While Preston may sometimes be too harsh, there's no arguing that he's a realist. Look at this homeriffic report card for the Steelers: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08350/935213-6...

I'll take his even keel assessment of the team any day over one driven by the reporter's mood.
Jeff

Huntingtown, MD

#54 Dec 15, 2008
This is at LEAST the third loss the Ravens have had as a direct result of the defense not being able to finish the game. After watching this one, I really don't understand how Preston rated the defense so high.
Sun is setting fast

Cockeysville, MD

#55 Dec 15, 2008
agree with Preston. Flacco's d- was a gift, shouldve been F. Also coaching staff get F as well. Horrible Billick-era game plan that should NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN!
Mehhhhh

San Antonio, TX

#56 Dec 15, 2008
Rudi wrote:
The Steelers did not win that game; the Ravens defensice Coordinator & Haed Coach Gave it away. Why, why, why when the defense had controlled Roethlesburger the whole game with a FOUR man line did they decide to rush Three & drop eight into coverage. It's the old prevent defense and the only thing it prevented was Baltimore winning the game. A great big F for that decision!!
No actually the Steelers did win.No one game them anything.No one gave anything on either side of the ball.The stinky birds could have just as well won that one.Pitt stuck it out and pulled it off.Your starting to sound like a Seahawks fan.Meh
Yard Birds

AOL

#57 Dec 15, 2008
A+ for choking and now being tied with 3 other 9-5 teams and two of you gonna get screwed out of the playoffs.
Unashamedly Biased Alumni

Virginia Beach, VA

#58 Dec 16, 2008
Even through the fog of the alumni bias, this was by far Joe's least effective game. However, they're not the #1 defense because they look good.:)

His passes sailed a little, which is likely a throwing mechanics artifact of when you can't step into your throws with a pass rush coming up your nose... Give credit to the front 7 for those.

And there were a few "you've gotta be kidding me" drops, and a tough drop in the endzone on a well thrown pass from the perfect read. When you lose the game on a TD catch, every dropped TD is a culprit.
DaChis212

Jessup, MD

#59 Dec 16, 2008
Coaching deserved an F Sunday. Cam called a Billick game, and Rex laid down on the last drive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrell Suggs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News About 2 dozen NFL players kneel for national an... (Sep '17) Sep '17 Viking Phartt 6
News Pitta 'not delusional' about career-threatening... (Jun '17) Jun '17 Hip phartsz 2
News Terrell Suggs charged in Arizona with leaving s... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Fart news 2
News Steelers face big offseason question with Jason... (Jan '15) Jan '15 The Hemp Curtain 2
News Everything You Need To Know About NFL Playoffs'... (Jan '15) Jan '15 BradyHumps 3
News Cleveland Browns must get more from Paul Kruger (Feb '14) Feb '14 Mike Lurz 1
News Packers' Finley fires back at NFL for fine (Oct '13) Oct '13 GBPfan 3