Predicting 2010: USC Trojans With a National Title

Jun 5, 2010 Full story: BleacherReport 28

With nearly three months until football season begins, it's time to throw out my bold and brave thoughts and predictions for the 2010 Pac-10 football season.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 09

San Fernando Valley

#1 Jun 10, 2010
Guess that lame theory goes up in smoke as they won't even be bowl eligible! Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh...
Steve

United States

#2 Jun 10, 2010
I guess they do have pro football in LA. I hope the worse for the cheaters.

“USC=Greatest team of BCS era!”

Since: Aug 08

Burn, baby, burn!

#3 Jun 14, 2010
Brew In wrote:
Guess that lame theory goes up in smoke as they won't even be bowl eligible! Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh...
Nothing stopping them from getting the AP title. Beyond that, with the appeals, there's a possibility they could not be resolved before the bowl games and thus USC would be eligible.

That being said, I think we were still at least a year away from contending for a national title before the sanctions. Now with the possible sanctions, I have no idea what is going to happen.

San Fernando Valley

#4 Jun 14, 2010
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing stopping them from getting the AP title. Beyond that, with the appeals, there's a possibility they could not be resolved before the bowl games and thus USC would be eligible.
That being said, I think we were still at least a year away from contending for a national title before the sanctions. Now with the possible sanctions, I have no idea what is going to happen.
Good "spin" but how would an appeal keep all these Sc players from abandoning ship?! Heard Gable is ready to sail...

BTW, what happened to all your SC comrades? All I am (not) hearing is "University of Silent Conceders"...

Burn, baby, burn!

#5 Jun 14, 2010
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text> Good "spin" but how would an appeal keep all these Sc players from abandoning ship?! Heard Gable is ready to sail...
BTW, what happened to all your SC comrades? All I am (not) hearing is "University of Silent Conceders"...
Gable is entitled to do what he believes is best for Gable. I hadn't heard that, but if he feels he has to, so be it. I won't hold it against him and wish him well wherever he lands.

That being said, news of the sanctions hasn't hurt us yet with the 2011 commits, as most, if not all, have signaled their intent to fulfill their commitments. We even picked one up AFTER news of the sanctions hit, one that had been offered by several schools, including UCLA, and comes out of the so-called "UCLA pipeline school" Crenshaw: OL Marcus Martin
http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2010/6/13/1...

San Fernando Valley

#6 Jun 14, 2010
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Gable is entitled to do what he believes is best for Gable. I hadn't heard that, but if he feels he has to, so be it. I won't hold it against him and wish him well wherever he lands.
That being said, news of the sanctions hasn't hurt us yet with the 2011 commits, as most, if not all, have signaled their intent to fulfill their commitments. We even picked one up AFTER news of the sanctions hit, one that had been offered by several schools, including UCLA, and comes out of the so-called "UCLA pipeline school" Crenshaw: OL Marcus Martin
http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2010/6/13/1...
We'll see how all that unfolds. Once family and friends start to chime in, athletes may have a change of heart.

Regardless of the SC sanction stuff, I have noticed this becoming a new trend in college sports. So much more of the "what's in it for me" than just being appreciative to play for a traditional/historical school. It's more of what the school can do for "them". That is a whole different Topix thread itself!

Burn, baby, burn!

#7 Jun 14, 2010
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text> Good "spin" but how would an appeal keep all these Sc players from abandoning ship?! Heard Gable is ready to sail...
Just FYI:

I am not leaving sc
10:56 AM Jun 12th via Twitter for iPhone
CJ_Gable
http://twitter.com/CJ_Gable/status/1601903667...

So, who are "all these Sc players... abandoning ship"?

San Fernando Valley

#8 Jun 14, 2010
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Just FYI:
<quoted text>
You know the sanctions are just being sorted out and absorbed. I give it a little more time. But if Kiffin can keep these kids from leaving with "nothing" to overly play for to finish out their college careers, then I will be the first to give him all the credit as possibly being a better snake-oil salesmen as Pete Carroll!

Burn, baby, burn!

#9 Jun 14, 2010
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>You know the sanctions are just being sorted out and absorbed. I give it a little more time. But if Kiffin can keep these kids from leaving with "nothing" to overly play for to finish out their college careers, then I will be the first to give him all the credit as possibly being a better snake-oil salesmen as Pete Carroll!
Nothing like a back-handed compliment to show how "classy" you Bruin fans are during these tumultuous times. Way to represent, guys.

Beyond that, you say that they have "nothing to overly play for" when nothing could be further from the truth. First and foremost, these students are receiving an excellent education. Second, they are being prepared for a possible/probable career in the NFL or CFL. USC ranks among the top schools currently putting its players into the professional ranks. Football players go to USC (and Texas, and Florida, and Miami, and tOSU, etc.) to get the best training possible to go on to the NFL. Playing one less game for the next two seasons doesn't change that, and that's why we'll see few, if any, defections.

Do you think Duke, UNC, or UCLA for that matter would lose basketball players if they were sanctioned? Hell no. Why? Because those programs put players into the NBA. The athletes will go wherever they get the best chance to succeed at the next level. It may not be the way you or I like it, it's just the way it is.

San Fernando Valley

#10 Jun 14, 2010
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think Duke, UNC, or UCLA for that matter would lose basketball players if they were sanctioned? Hell no. Why? Because those programs put players into the NBA. The athletes will go wherever they get the best chance to succeed at the next level. It may not be the way you or I like it, it's just the way it is.
Hey, thanks for the "backhanded" compliment yourself pal! ;)

Location hidden

#11 Jun 14, 2010
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing like a back-handed compliment to show how "classy" you Bruin fans are during these tumultuous times. Way to represent, guys.
Beyond that, you say that they have "nothing to overly play for" when nothing could be further from the truth. First and foremost, these students are receiving an excellent education. Second, they are being prepared for a possible/probable career in the NFL or CFL. USC ranks among the top schools currently putting its players into the professional ranks. Football players go to USC (and Texas, and Florida, and Miami, and tOSU, etc.) to get the best training possible to go on to the NFL. Playing one less game for the next two seasons doesn't change that, and that's why we'll see few, if any, defections.
Jarvis Jones is gone.

San Fernando Valley

#12 Jun 14, 2010
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Well sorry CPEM if you want some sort of sympathy from me, wrong guy. Your comrades cheated and the trojan "virus" was revealed!

Tumultuous times are in the eye of the beholder and many of us Bruin fans could say the same thing for us when we go on a losing streak to our cross town rivals and take a pompous blog pounding for it.

Try not to be too offended personally, by my karmatic remarks go our to ALL of them!

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh...

San Fernando Valley

#13 Jun 14, 2010
UGA 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jarvis Jones is gone.
Hey isn't UGA the fore runner to land Jones? Good luck to you guys in landing a player who is thinking wisely to get out of a bad situation!

Location hidden

#14 Jun 15, 2010
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>Hey isn't UGA the fore runner to land Jones? Good luck to you guys in landing a player who is thinking wisely to get out of a bad situation!
Well it's between us and Florida St.

Burn, baby, burn!

#15 Jun 15, 2010
UGA 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jarvis Jones is gone.
That's a different case altogether. The USC medical staff won't clear him to play due to his neck injury. They don't want to risk a life-changing or life-ending injury, so he's looking for a school that isn't as concerned with his safety or well-being. We have depth issues at LB, and there is nothing more the coaching staff would like to see than Mr. Jones on the field, but the risk to his health isn't worth it. I wish him luck, and hope nothing but the best for the guy.

Burn, baby, burn!

#16 Jun 15, 2010
Brew In wrote:
<quoted text>Hey, thanks for the "backhanded" compliment yourself pal! ;)
What backhanded compliment? I said UCLA is a good basketball school and they put players into the NBA. I didn't call anyone a snake-oil salesman or anything.

San Fernando Valley

#17 Jun 15, 2010
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
What backhanded compliment? I said UCLA is a good basketball school and they put players into the NBA. I didn't call anyone a snake-oil salesman or anything.
No but you guys do try to pull the subliminal "Sam Gilbert" articles out of your dusty Cardinal and Gold hats when your backs are against the firing squad wall!

San Fernando Valley

#18 Jun 15, 2010
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Just FYI:
<quoted text>
Watch 'um line up behind Jordan Campbell and Jarvis Jones...

Location hidden

#19 Jun 15, 2010
CPEM wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a different case altogether. The USC medical staff won't clear him to play due to his neck injury. They don't want to risk a life-changing or life-ending injury, so he's looking for a school that isn't as concerned with his safety or well-being. We have depth issues at LB, and there is nothing more the coaching staff would like to see than Mr. Jones on the field, but the risk to his health isn't worth it. I wish him luck, and hope nothing but the best for the guy.
I understand not risking a life changing injury or even worse but he even went to some doctors outside of USC's medical staff and they cleared him to play. I guess we may not know the whole story but Georgia and Florida St both said they would check his neck out. I hope he wasn't trying to get another doc to say he is alright when he may not be, I don't know.

Burn, baby, burn!

#20 Jun 15, 2010
UGA 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand not risking a life changing injury or even worse but he even went to some doctors outside of USC's medical staff and they cleared him to play. I guess we may not know the whole story but Georgia and Florida St both said they would check his neck out. I hope he wasn't trying to get another doc to say he is alright when he may not be, I don't know.
If he gets another team to clear him and he plays, then I hope that USC's doctors are wrong, as I don't not wish any ill upon him. I understand his desire to play, and he is entitled to get a second (and third and fourth) opinion, but if I were a doctor, I wouldn't want to risk my professional life on clearing him to play when the USC doctors already shut him down. If something were to happen... I would guess that the Jones family would have a good malpractice suit, regardless of any waivers signed by him. Additionally, as a coach at any of those schools, I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

Look, USC did right by him. They were fulfilling their commitment to him as a student by continuing his scholarship, as an athlete by allowing him to assist the football team, and they granted him his release when he asked for it. I really don't know what anyone realistically expects them to do for him beyond that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Taylor Mays Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After interest from Bengals, Michael Huff worki... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Cowboyfan 2
Pictures: NFL hits from 2010 season (Oct '10) Oct '10 Bullfarts 6
49ers report card (Oct '10) Oct '10 xplant9er 1
Report: Lewis quits on 49ers (Oct '10) Oct '10 michael lewis 1
College Football Countdown: No. 13 USC (Aug '10) Aug '10 Chosen Traveler 1
Team #14 - USC Trojans College Football Preview (Jul '10) Jul '10 Chosen Traveler 1
Redshirt freshman DB Byron Moore departing from... (Jul '10) Jul '10 deathvalley 3
More from around the web