Colts await official word from Glenn

There are 46 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jul 23, 2007, titled Colts await official word from Glenn. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Indianapolis Colts won't pressure Tarik Glenn into making an official announcement regarding his retirement, or lobby him to return for an 11th season, president Bill Polian said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Greg Nichols

Czech Republic

#1 Jul 24, 2007
If Glenn does not play this year, I think he is doing Peyton Manning and the Colt's orginization a major wrong. There is no one on the team that has much game expereince at his position which is the most important in protecting Manning. He "SIGNED" a contract to play this year which he should honor in order to give the Colt's orginaization and players enough time (NOT 10 days before training camp) to prepare for his departure! Otherwise, he is throwing Manning to the wolves (opposing pass rushers)!
someone in carmel

United States

#2 Jul 24, 2007
I sincerely hope that this is not about money! Everyone is speculating that it is, but isn't 4 million enough? We need you Mr. Glenn!
Art

Worthville, KY

#3 Jul 24, 2007
Its one of two things: Either he's pissed off because Freeney got a big raise or he gained 80 lbs in the off season and said ah the hell with it
Robert Hinton

Orlando, FL

#4 Jul 24, 2007
Tarik Glenn has been the heart and soul of the Colts offense for years. He is one of the best O-linemen in football, if not the absolute best. I have always respected the linemen in football; for not many others do. I even wrote Tarik a few years ago and told him what I thought of his talent. Although he never responded, I continued to be his biggest fan. Hey, they can't respond to everyone... This Colts fan wishes him well, and thanks him for his dedication to the team and conratulates him on finally winning the ring. He certainly deserves it.
Willy the Builder

Washington, DC

#5 Jul 24, 2007
Do what you feel is right for you Tarik. Whether you retire or stay doesn't matter to me. You have more than earned your keep here.

Although, I will miss betting the over/under with my brother on how many times we get to hear: "False Start #78".:-))
Season Ticket Holder

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Jul 24, 2007
Gee, If Glenn is this unsure about retiring that he can't make up his mind, I'd say he would always be wondering "what if" I had stayed another year. We sure would hate to see him leave. And I know the guy whose behind he protects sure would. Pray it through, Tarik.
Rob C

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jul 24, 2007
My guess is, he was planning to retire at the end of his contract, but is now thinking about going out on top (after the Super Bowl win).

As much as we love watching these guys play, there's no real reason for them to stick around after a few good seasons. The man has already made more money than I will see in my lifetime. If I had as much money as he has, I wouldn't be coming into the office anymore. So why should I expect him to do the same?

Eventually, the love of the game is overshadowed by the desire to get on with the rest of your life. If Tarik's reached that point, then I say more power to him.
Lets go Colts

United States

#8 Jul 24, 2007
Makes me feel better to know that he hasnt officially made a decision yet. This wouldnt be the end of the world, but it would be nice if he stayed to fullfil his contract especially being that he has another great shot to win a Super Bowl.

He was a great player who will be missed if he does decide to call it quits. I am glad this is our deepest position on the team.

Come on back Tarik....we promise we wont boo your false starts anymore.....well at least not for the first few games.

Since: Jan 07

Newington, CT

#9 Jul 24, 2007
I hope he doesn't retire. However, I believe this has absolutely nothing to do with money, and everything to do with the pounding he has taken over the years.

I sincerely hope he comes back. However, should he decide to retire, I wish him the best, and will have fond memories of his years here in Indianapolis.

And yes, it will be weird to no longer hear, "False Start. Number 78 , Offense. 5 yard penalty, still first down."
Tim Miller

United States

#10 Jul 24, 2007
Glenn, if you are still pondering retirment, then just play out your contract this year, win another ring and then retire.
GO COLTS

Marysville, OH

#11 Jul 24, 2007
Why play games? Either you want to retire ... or you don't! At this point of your career and so far into the off-season, you should know by now.

Stay or go ... which ever is fine. Just let the team get on with their business of going for the repeat!!

If you stay ... great! If not ... congratulations and good luck in all you do from here.

“Deport All Illegal Aliens!!”

Since: Jul 07

Speedway, Indiana

#12 Jul 24, 2007
Rob C wrote:
My guess is, he was planning to retire at the end of his contract, but is now thinking about going out on top (after the Super Bowl win).
As much as we love watching these guys play, there's no real reason for them to stick around after a few good seasons. The man has already made more money than I will see in my lifetime. If I had as much money as he has, I wouldn't be coming into the office anymore. So why should I expect him to do the same?
Eventually, the love of the game is overshadowed by the desire to get on with the rest of your life. If Tarik's reached that point, then I say more power to him.
Everything changes when you get that ring and start thinking about live after...
Seventy Eight

Salem, IN

#13 Jul 24, 2007
Rob C wrote:
My sentiments exactly!
Norm Holmes

United States

#14 Jul 24, 2007
I can understand his desire to go out on top, but what an accomplishment it would be if he could go out after 2 or 3 championships in a row. I know it takes a big effort to get into playing shape after an off season of celebrating, but the rewards might be too great to miss.
Offbeat

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#15 Jul 24, 2007
Colts Numero Uno wrote:
I hope he doesn't retire. However, I believe this has absolutely nothing to do with money, and everything to do with the pounding he has taken over the years.
I sincerely hope he comes back. However, should he decide to retire, I wish him the best, and will have fond memories of his years here in Indianapolis.
And yes, it will be weird to no longer hear, "False Start. Number 78 , Offense. 5 yard penalty, still first down."
Who cares!
Colts What

Elkhart, IN

#16 Jul 24, 2007
I agree with Nichols, I believe he is doing Manning a great dis-honor by not honoring his contract. I mean, without Manning he wouldn't have a SB ring right now. You can also argue without Glenn, Manning wouldn't have one either. They both go hand in hand and you know Manning is doing everything he can to persuade him to come back.

Please come back for one more year TG, we need you!!
Home Plate Ump

Pryor, OK

#17 Jul 24, 2007
Robert Hinton wrote:
Tarik Glenn has been the heart and soul of the Colts offense for years. He is one of the best O-linemen in football, if not the absolute best. I have always respected the linemen in football; for not many others do. I even wrote Tarik a few years ago and told him what I thought of his talent. Although he never responded, I continued to be his biggest fan. Hey, they can't respond to everyone... This Colts fan wishes him well, and thanks him for his dedication to the team and conratulates him on finally winning the ring. He certainly deserves it.
He isn't even the best O'lineman on their team. He couldn't even hold Jeff SAturday's jock if he got a headstart. We know because he averaged over a false start a game. Maybe he was going to retire the first day of camp, but got a false start on quitting?
The the

Pryor, OK

#18 Jul 24, 2007
Maybe he sees the writing on the wall that the colts D may not be good enough to win another championship...
Grrrrrrrrr

Pryor, OK

#19 Jul 24, 2007
Who in the hell cares if Glenn goes or stays? Will he pay my income taxes or property taxes? He's rich and not worried about paying taxes...But most people aren't and they care less about the Colts or the Stadium that lieing Bart is using our tax money for...
nicklevo

Burlington, IN

#20 Jul 24, 2007
The Colts should do whatever it takes to get Tarik Glenn to come back for his 11th year. Losing him is a major blow to the offensive line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tarik Glenn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning: Who's the Best? -... (Aug '07) Dec '10 Stats Dont Lie 481
News Colts closer to deal with Rose-Hulman (Feb '08) Mar '08 truet trusler 2
News Colts running beneath radar (Jan '08) Jan '08 Vince 1
News Indy Colts: Their best (Dec '07) Dec '07 Liam McClelland S... 28
News How The Star's writers see it (Nov '07) Nov '07 Our Time 26
News 'Our time' (Nov '07) Nov '07 Bob 43
News Competitive fun, Colts-Jags style (Oct '07) Oct '07 Truth 12
More from around the web