Spin (out of) control

Full story: Chicago Tribune

There are many reasons Lance Briggs could have been out until 3 a.m. Monday zooming around in his expensive new Italian sports car on the Edens Expressway after a night downtown.
Comments
1 - 20 of 49 Comments Last updated Aug 29, 2007
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
boonasty51

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2007

oh ... i'm sure that Briggs was hammered and i'm sure that David Haugh is going to get to the bottom of it. i'm so sure that i'm willing to bet that he might even forget about Rex Grossman for 30 seconds to go out to the scene of the accident to dig for evidence. he'll likely hound Lovie and Urlacher, maybe even Grossman to see what they have to say about Briggs and his high speed accident ... then by Thursday we'll have a wildly overblown story about how Briggs' actions are a distraction to the Bears and that if they have a bad start to the season that it will be his and even more likely, Grossman's fault, in which he will continue to write story after story why the Bears should give up on Grossman and discipline Briggs. Who effin' cares anymore?!!
Dr No

Hickory Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

How did Lance Briggs get home?
ErrolnDC

Gaithersburg, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

The bottom line is, he was charged with leaving the scene of an accident... Period end of story... The thing that I hate is that this incident will give useless reporters like yourself another excuse the write about something useless... If he was drinking when he had the accident, then he got a reprieve... It's stupid to ask this because you guys have nothing else to write about, but I'll say it any way... LET IT GO!!!!! I think that most people are more fed up with stupid useless reporters than they are with the athletes...
Tina

Birdsboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Dr No wrote:
How did Lance Briggs get home?
Good question.
Nick

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

The media again is wanting to put convict and put to get Lance Briggs into trouble. Look what the media did to Tank Johnson.. They tried him, convicted him, and through him in jail. So he lost his job with the Bears.. THE MEDIA SHUT UP....
Dongell

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

When did the athlete's personal life and the sport they play become so intertwined? Every time I go to the so-called "Sports" page I have to double check that I'm not in the "Gossip" or "Entertainment" section. Right now if you go the Top Sports Stories section, there are 4 stories, 1 photo album and 1 reader poll about Lance Briggs' car accident. I don't care one bit about the how fast his car can go or viewing photos of it.
What I DO care about is what happened in training camp, the upcoming team cuts and Thursday's final pre-season game. Save the other fluff for US Weekly.
Karl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

No doubt hew was drunk. A sober guy wouldn't leave a brand new 350,000 car at the side of the road and stagger away to hide from the PO-lice.
Doug

Hoboken, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Nick wrote:
The media again is wanting to put convict and put to get Lance Briggs into trouble. Look what the media did to Tank Johnson.. They tried him, convicted him, and through him in jail. So he lost his job with the Bears.. THE MEDIA SHUT UP....
Nick, the media did not make Tank Johnson keep loaded guns in his house where small children could easily have gotten them, they did not make Johnson go to the nightclub with his friend "who also stayed at Johnsons home and who had an extensive police record" and a week after he got out of jail he was stopped at 3:00 am in Arizona, he was not legally drunk but he had been drinking. All the media has done is report the stupidity of these athletes.If Briggs is so innocent then why did he leave the scene, I really don't care what these athletes do, I am just sick of the way they act like they are above the law, it's about time some of them started to pay the price for their stupid acts, and the media does not make these grown men behave like idiots.
Kandice

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, media, get off his back. We don't care if NFL players drive cars capable of going hundreds of miles per hour on public roadways when they're drunk ... or brutalize animals ... or rape women ... or stockpile illegal weapons ... or kill people. All of that little non-sense just distracts from REAL news: TRAINING CAMP ... and a PRE-SEASON GAME. Woo hooooo!
Derrick

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Briggs got lucky. He may be a tough guy on the field, but he has shown his true character off the field as a coward. He ran like a 12-year-old who stole his mommy and daddy's car then wrecked it. Of course he was hammered...otherwise, why run. Lie and deny, Briggs, lie and deny. Another NFL disgrace.
John McDonald

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

If it had been my Honda left behind the police would have been at my door in an hour. Another great example for the city's youth.
Rico

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Not bad, Davey!!

Not great, either...... You're not "there" yet, but your negativity index went down today. I know ... it WAS difficult, and you almost didn't succeed.

Now, don't forget ........ EVERY MORNING repeat the mantra ..... "I WILL NOT be negative toward my fellow human-beings (especially those with FAR greater talent than I). Today, I WILL be creatively supportive !!!"

Ignorance Is Bliss

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Lovie must be on drugs himself. Who drives at 3:00 am (if they don't work the night shift) and has not been at a bar or friend's house where alcohol was served ? Briggs actions speak louder than words. If he had nothing to hide (like a blood alcohol count above the allowable limit) why would he leave a $350,000 car lying against a pole on the expressway ? Lovie, like most coaches of college and professional athletes, is an enabler who doesn't want to know the truth. Just make up an implausible excuse (with the deft assistance of your defense lawyer) and we will gladly proclaim your innocence.
lovey is retarded

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

yeah he didnt have drugs on him or he wasnt drunk yeah right
Frisky

Evergreen Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

So the police found no evidence of alcohol use at the scene....did you expect him to leave an open bottle of 50 year old Scotch along with the the expensive car? And if he wasn't (excuse the expression) "tanked" why else would he leave the scene of the accident.

Wake up Bear management and Bear fans!!!! This is getting embarrassing.
Rico

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Kandice Chicago, IL ......

How does reading about all of the things that you mentioned make your day any better ??
Rosemary Jiggetts

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

I am so sick and tired of you, reporters, writing about insignificant nonsense. Who cares when there are so many other issues to worry about. You all judge too quickly and harshly, and who cares if he's out until 3:00 a.m. You have no idea what he was doing so don't assume you do. You're just ready to crucify him. Don't you just wish you could make the kind of money these athletes make. You are all so envious, you can't stand it. I hope that God will judge you in the same way you judge others.
John

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

John McDonald wrote:
If it had been my Honda left behind the police would have been at my door in an hour. Another great example for the city's youth.
Police did go to Brigg's home, but he wasn't there. He was hiding and cowering somewhere to sober up. He didn't report the accident to police until five hours later.
George

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Rosemary Jiggetts wrote:
You have no idea what he was doing so don't assume you do.
If the accident wasn't the result of some illegal activity, why did he run like a frightened school girl from the scene? What not act like a man and wait for police to arrive? I think an honest assumption can easily be made that he was impaired and that's why he ran.
Finona McCawley

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

I guess professional athletes have be perfect (in your mind). God forbid they make a mistake. They are condemned for life. We all make mistakes. That's part of being human. Thankfully, we have a forgiving God. Let's try to follow his teachings and be more forgiving and stop judging. Yes, Briggs made a mistake, but it wasn't fatal, and no one was hurt. Let's be thankful for that and move on. Remember, we will be judged on how we judge others!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tank Johnson Discussions

Search the Tank Johnson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Five Worst Uniforms In NFL History (Jun '07) Apr '11 LOL 7
Cowboys take on Cowboys North Sunday in Hall of... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Jojo 3
Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 Dr Phil 5
Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 proFootballTickets 1
Six Cowboys Exes Take Asylum In Cincy (Aug '10) Aug '10 Lynn B 1
Why Your Team Won't Win The Super Bowl: Cincinn... (Jun '10) Jun '10 hatchet 3
Should Roger Goodell Suspend Ben Roethlisberger? (Apr '10) Apr '10 Bella Toni 14
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••