SKOLNICK: NFL's Goodell fighting good, if unwinnable, fight

You have to hand it to Roger Goodell for attempting to improve NFL player conduct and the NFL's image. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
jahndoh

Ashland, OR

#44 Jun 26, 2007
John wrote:
Professional athletes are out of control. They're paid way to much money and I for one will boycott their sports and speak out against them at every opportunity I get. I may only be one voice in one small pocket but that is how change is started isn't it.
You'll be throwing the baby out with the bathwater then. For every Pac-Man, there are 4 dozen good guys.

Inferring that the whole league should be punished due to the transgressions of a few very bad apples is misguided and shortsighted.

A previous poster (sorry for not crediting you by name) had it right. Deterrence works. If there were no cops on the highway, the speed limit would be pointless. If the cops succeed at decreasing accidents, their presence is merited even if a few drivers still insist on speeding.

NFL=Baby, Pac-Man= Bathwater, don't get em confused.

Regarding F. Evans, what he did was stupid, and beligerant, but I too feel this is his 1st offense and he should be given another chance. That said, if coach cuts him I understand why. He's got to be held accountable for his actions just like the rest of us. We all pay the price for our misdeeds, just for some of us the pennance is not quite as public.
rubinh

Las Vegas, NV

#46 Jun 26, 2007
wityh the packmann problem, tank Jones and the DTin Miami I think the players should be bannned for ;ife and add in Ricky Martin and his polojuice. Just toss them out real public like and let the team plaayres see whst screw-ups will cost you. Goes back to dont do the crime if you can't pay de fine.
timatlanta

United States

#47 Jun 27, 2007
It is not the commissioner's job to decide what players a team wants to employ. If a team wants to end the employment of a player who hurts the team's image, then cut him. Very simple.

What Goodell is saying is that the teams don't have good judgement, and therefore, he will now take control of every team's roster.

How imperial of him.

How many teams do you think want to employ players who are in jail? Or facing jail? Not many (maybe Cincinnati or Oakland).

First, a player who is arrested and convicted of a crime pays his debt to society (per the Constitution).

Second, his current employer decides to retain him as an employee.

Third, he might or might not get an offer from another team, at a greatly reduced salary.

If you haven't noticed, the TEAMS have dealt with this very well for the last 40 or so years. Good organizations have dealt with bad actors because they have their local fans to answer to.

PacMan is an idiot. The Titans will get rid of him. Will another team take him on? Maybe. That is their risk, and it is a big risk.

Should the Falcons cut Vick tomorrow? Maybe, but what if he is innocent? What if another signs him after he is cleared and makes his new team a lot better?

There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. If a team doesn't want a problem on the roster, get rid of that problem.

I think that the Commish should immediatley suspend Ray Carruth.

The Dolphins should suspend Joey Porter for 8 games and cut Fred Evans.

And the Hilton family should throw Paris out of the house for 6 months.

The Titans and Dolphins should have their own choices about what to do with their problems. All teams and employers need the overbearing league executives stay out of it.

The league could always punish the teams, but not individual players.
redhook pete

Rego Park, NY

#48 Jun 27, 2007
This is doable. Goodell
can't do it himself. He must
stay above the enforcement and appoint a Jesuit Prefect of Disciplne
(like we had..Fr. Fred Engel). Just the sight of him struck fear in the hearts of every boy in the school. Every one of these
players is treated special from high school on; they never grow up. So treat them like children. Don't suspend them; make them work. Community service like high school line painting.
Pete(retired nyc highschool teacher)-
Rumblefish21

Hickory, KY

#49 Jun 27, 2007
marinofan13 wrote:
<quoted text>What's up man! That's what I'm saying, too! Do the crime, you do the time. There is NO need for being tried for the same crime twice: it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!! I, like you, am an American. I can not and will not stand idly by as Goodell tries to exact FURTHER punishment on those who have done the time for their "crime". This is what gets me: a speeding ticket is the same as a triple fukkking murder. This is not correct. This is the PC police in full effect. Really, ban the felon. Like little Goodell has a choice in the matter LOL!!! But now, Goodell thinks he is the Supreme Court. Catch a cold and you are suspended. This is NOT Russia, my friend. I don't condone DUI, but Goodell is over-stepping his authority BIG TIME. I wrote it before, and I'll write it again: you are going to see LAWSUITS galore with his policies; they are anti-Constitutional. HELL YEAH!
However the league must not allow people to make a mockery of what they are tring to promote!Someone must be that thin line and act accordingly!If goodell wants to be that front man good for him!Let people who do crimes outside the lines be punished accordingly!Inside the lines youve got to be stiff.When they are pounished outside football the NFL must distance itself from them!Cut money and ties!Whats up HELL YEAH!!!
Roberto

Boynton Beach, FL

#50 Jun 27, 2007
So... according to your columm, parents shouldn't have any rules at home and there shouldn't be any laws in society either, because no matter how much parents and the police enforce them, there will always be people who break them. What were you thinking when you wrote that? The reasoning of your columm is the dumbest argument I have ever read. Goodell should be praised for his efforts, not ridiculed. Anyone who has raised children and/or supervised others (hopefully) understands that behavior and consequences can never be separated or ignored.
Rumblefish21

Hickory, KY

#51 Jun 27, 2007
Roberto wrote:
So... according to your columm, parents shouldn't have any rules at home and there shouldn't be any laws in society either, because no matter how much parents and the police enforce them, there will always be people who break them. What were you thinking when you wrote that? The reasoning of your columm is the dumbest argument I have ever read. Goodell should be praised for his efforts, not ridiculed. Anyone who has raised children and/or supervised others (hopefully) understands that behavior and consequences can never be separated or ignored.
You get it why dont they?HELL YEAH!!!
Rumblefish21

Hickory, KY

#52 Jun 27, 2007
jahndoh wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll be throwing the baby out with the bathwater then. For every Pac-Man, there are 4 dozen good guys.
Inferring that the whole league should be punished due to the transgressions of a few very bad apples is misguided and shortsighted.
A previous poster (sorry for not crediting you by name) had it right. Deterrence works. If there were no cops on the highway, the speed limit would be pointless. If the cops succeed at decreasing accidents, their presence is merited even if a few drivers still insist on speeding.
NFL=Baby, Pac-Man= Bathwater, don't get em confused.
Regarding F. Evans, what he did was stupid, and beligerant, but I too feel this is his 1st offense and he should be given another chance. That said, if coach cuts him I understand why. He's got to be held accountable for his actions just like the rest of us. We all pay the price for our misdeeds, just for some of us the pennance is not quite as public.
now that we find out he is on probation do you think it fair to give this aweful citizen a second chance?NO F'IN WAY GOODBYE LOSER!HELL YEAH!!!!!
Johnny

Boise, ID

#53 Jun 27, 2007
BS Tony... as an employer it's MY business. I'm paying YOU to do a freakin' job, you sign MY contract that says keep it clean ALL the time or you'll be punished. It's YOUR choice if you want to play by MY rules or not. When the employee accepts the position, the contract, and the money (in this case, MILLIONS), then it's the end of discussion.
Johnny

Boise, ID

#54 Jun 27, 2007
"It is not the commissioner's job to decide what players a team wants to employ. If a team wants to end the employment of a player who hurts the team's image, then cut him. Very simple."

And you're wrong as well. By taking this above the teams head, it removes the constant chant..."he'll just go and play for someone else". NO he won't. Kick the losers out, we don't need 'em. The game will still play.
marinofan13

Bloomsburg, PA

#55 Jun 27, 2007
timatlanta wrote:
It is not the commissioner's job to decide what players a team wants to employ. If a team wants to end the employment of a player who hurts the team's image, then cut him. Very simple.
What Goodell is saying is that the teams don't have good judgement, and therefore, he will now take control of every team's roster.
How imperial of him.
How many teams do you think want to employ players who are in jail? Or facing jail? Not many (maybe Cincinnati or Oakland).
First, a player who is arrested and convicted of a crime pays his debt to society (per the Constitution).
Second, his current employer decides to retain him as an employee.
Third, he might or might not get an offer from another team, at a greatly reduced salary.
If you haven't noticed, the TEAMS have dealt with this very well for the last 40 or so years. Good organizations have dealt with bad actors because they have their local fans to answer to.
PacMan is an idiot. The Titans will get rid of him. Will another team take him on? Maybe. That is their risk, and it is a big risk.
Should the Falcons cut Vick tomorrow? Maybe, but what if he is innocent? What if another signs him after he is cleared and makes his new team a lot better?
There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. If a team doesn't want a problem on the roster, get rid of that problem.
I think that the Commish should immediatley suspend Ray Carruth.
The Dolphins should suspend Joey Porter for 8 games and cut Fred Evans.
And the Hilton family should throw Paris out of the house for 6 months.
The Titans and Dolphins should have their own choices about what to do with their problems. All teams and employers need the overbearing league executives stay out of it.
The league could always punish the teams, but not individual players.
Excellent, excellent post!!!
jahndoh

Lompoc, CA

#56 Jul 2, 2007
Rumblefish21 wrote:
<quoted text>now that we find out he is on probation do you think it fair to give this aweful citizen a second chance?NO F'IN WAY GOODBYE LOSER!HELL YEAH!!!!!
Rumble, funny you should post this. I just heard he was on prob for the texas MJ charge, and no I don't think he should (have been) retained. He blew his second chance.

Hell Yeah!
jahndoh

Lompoc, CA

#57 Jul 2, 2007
Johnny wrote:
"It is not the commissioner's job to decide what players a team wants to employ. If a team wants to end the employment of a player who hurts the team's image, then cut him. Very simple."
And you're wrong as well. By taking this above the teams head, it removes the constant chant..."he'll just go and play for someone else". NO he won't. Kick the losers out, we don't need 'em. The game will still play.
I agree Johnny. If that's the case then why would any league/association anywhere be entitled to institute league wide rules about it's participants. The NCAA (by this logic) has no right to enforce academic eligibility.

What's missing here is the acknowlegment that the NFL as a league is a franchiser. The owners are merely franchisees. Taco Bell has rules about who it's restaurants can hire (though not many!), and if it's franchisees don't want to follow them then they get none of the benefits of the taco-bell name.

Same goes with NFL owners. Why do you think they pay the fines when the commissioner levies them? Why do they make their players/coaches pay those fines when assessed? Because they need the NFL just as much as the NFL needs them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tank Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Five Worst Uniforms In NFL History (Jun '07) Apr '11 LOL 7
Cowboys take on Cowboys North Sunday in Hall of... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Jojo 3
Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 Dr Phil 5
Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 proFootballTickets 1
Six Cowboys Exes Take Asylum In Cincy (Aug '10) Aug '10 Lynn B 1
Why Your Team Won't Win The Super Bowl: Cincinn... (Jun '10) Jun '10 hatchet 3
Should Roger Goodell Suspend Ben Roethlisberger? (Apr '10) Apr '10 Bella Toni 14
More from around the web