An enabler? No question

An enabler? No question

There are 52 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 28, 2007, titled An enabler? No question. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Some of us still are trying to figure out what Lovie Smith's threshold for poor behavior is when it comes to his players.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jim

Naperville, IL

#41 Aug 29, 2007
You are right on! Back in the days of real coaches such as Vince Lombardi, wow, he used to visit the local pubs prior to game day and see if any of his players were there. About this time they were running out the back door because they we're afraid of him. Lovie is insecure and he doesn't want to make waves, too bad because it shows his weakness.
KDJ Iowa

Springdale, AR

#42 Aug 29, 2007
AAAHHH what's wrong Morrissey poor little man..... You upset that maybe nothing is wrong with taking your new Lamborghini out on the open road with barely any traffic and enjoy driving it in the cool night air! You upset with a Coach who has done a hell of a job Coaching, because that is what his job is... NOT BABYSITTING grown men, and who doesn't really see anything major with a GROWN man taking a ride at night in his new car. So what he wrecked and handled it wrong. Now he has corrected it. Let it go! Please stop waisting our time with lame @$$ stories like this one!
JFish

Kansas City, KS

#43 Aug 29, 2007
Mr Dictionary wrote:
half-truth
Function: noun
1 : a statement that is only partially true
2 : a statement that mingles truth and falsehood with deliberate intent to deceive
Also see: State Of The Union

http://jfishsports.blogspot.com/
disgusted

Lansdale, PA

#44 Aug 29, 2007
Complainer? I point out he has a _pattern_ of dangerous behaviour behind the wheel, and I'm a "complainer"?

This isn't just any other job. He is supported by the public (i.e. John Q Fan), who not only cheer for him (and provide excuses for him), but voluntarily contribute to his salary. he leads a public life. It goes with the job of earning your livelihood off the public. And somehow to me, I do care. This isn't an isolated incident. And just because nobody got hurt this time doesn't mean that'll last. He needs to face the music, as much for his own sake as anyone else.

It's not about what you can get away with, it's about right and wrong. I hope my kids never have to meet any of you mealy-mouthed enablers. This guy gets paid millions of dollars, by the public (i.e. we fans), to play a _game_. It's not too much to expect integrity. F da Bears, and F Lovie Smith. My 10-year-old has more integrity than da Bears, and all of you sorry excuses for human beings who turn a blind eye to this crud. We have the right to expect more and we should.

Winning is NOT the only thing. I don't just tell that to my kids. I believe it. And it's sad that so many of you don't.

Unless he actually gets caught, convicted and sent to prison you actually don't care that a person who you cheer for, you financially support voluntarily, is a lying piece o' crud. WOW, I can't imagine why the rest of the world thinks America is full of narcistic jerks...
KDJ Iowa

Springdale, AR

#45 Aug 29, 2007
disgusted wrote:
Complainer? I point out he has a _pattern_ of dangerous behaviour behind the wheel, and I'm a "complainer"?
This isn't just any other job. He is supported by the public (i.e. John Q Fan), who not only cheer for him (and provide excuses for him), but voluntarily contribute to his salary. he leads a public life. It goes with the job of earning your livelihood off the public. And somehow to me, I do care. This isn't an isolated incident. And just because nobody got hurt this time doesn't mean that'll last. He needs to face the music, as much for his own sake as anyone else.
It's not about what you can get away with, it's about right and wrong. I hope my kids never have to meet any of you mealy-mouthed enablers. This guy gets paid millions of dollars, by the public (i.e. we fans), to play a _game_. It's not too much to expect integrity. F da Bears, and F Lovie Smith. My 10-year-old has more integrity than da Bears, and all of you sorry excuses for human beings who turn a blind eye to this crud. We have the right to expect more and we should.
Winning is NOT the only thing. I don't just tell that to my kids. I believe it. And it's sad that so many of you don't.
Unless he actually gets caught, convicted and sent to prison you actually don't care that a person who you cheer for, you financially support voluntarily, is a lying piece o' crud. WOW, I can't imagine why the rest of the world thinks America is full of narcistic jerks...
How do you know he is Lying????? We don't live in a world of What if's and this world has way bigger things to worry about (Bush and his Clan) than a football player that MIGHT have held back the whole story (truth)..... Who are you to judge somebody elses character? A football Coach and player at that! With the way things are going in the world. This is that important to you? Why? WHO ARE YOU? Please........ Worry about your own. You speak of you 10yr old plenty just make sure they have some values in life that pertain to more than a Football Coach and Player....
disgusted

Lansdale, PA

#46 Aug 29, 2007
Hmm, maybe because he admitted to lying to the police and reported his car stolen. oops, did you forget about that part?
Of course, he could have been lying about that...

Even if I were gullible enough to think that alcohol wasn't involve (LMFAO), he admitted to LYING TO THE POLICE and reported his car stolen. We also know he had his license suspended by CA for speeding. We also know he was reported in at least two different clubs before the accident.

And as someone who's a fan, who buys tickets, who buys merchandise, who watches the games (and the commercials that air), I'm the guy footin' the bill for these fools. But you go ahead and make more excuses. Then it'll just keep on keepin' on. It stops when enough of us fans say "Enough."

Not to mention this clown was whining about the system that will only pay him 7+million dollars this year. This guy was showing absolutely no loyalty to Chicago, and you all want to just turn a blind eye. Gosh, I'm shocked how the whole Tank Williams thing turned out. Would've never guessed.

Go lemmings, go. And watch out for that last step, it's a doozy.
disgusted

Lansdale, PA

#47 Aug 29, 2007
I suppose most of you were cheering on "Lumpy" Bonds as well. Pathetic. Every one of you.

You're as much the problem as the enfants terribles you enable...
Rico

United States

#48 Aug 29, 2007
Ya know what???....I think "disgusted" is disgusted,......... and disgusting !!
Mr Dictionary

Chicago, IL

#49 Aug 29, 2007
How about that Vick guy, there's a guy that can tell the truth!! hahahahahahahahaha
It's called CHARACTER people!!
Main Entry: char·ac·ter
Pronunciation:'ker-ik-t&r,
Function: noun
6 : moral excellence and firmness "a man of sound character"
Not important anymore, right?
kc_at_soldierfie lddotcom

United States

#50 Aug 30, 2007
Hey disgusted: it's called being presumed innocent until proven guilty, in a court of law. NOT in the court of the MEDIA. Maybe you've heard of it...
So, have you ever been ticketed for speeding? Have you ever had an accident? You come across very high-and mighty. Be careful being so self-righteous; no one can be as perfect as you apparently expect public figures to be.
In no way do I justify what Briggs did. And as I stated previously, I don't buy his story. But the facts that the authorities have are what they are. What's reported on channels 5, 7, 2, 32 or whatever station you watch, until entered under oath in a court of law, is simply hearsay and speculation. You're ready to convict the guy just because a few 20-year-olds got on TV and said he was at a couple of clubs.
disgusted

Lansdale, PA

#51 Aug 30, 2007
Actually, no, I don't think we have to hold public figures to what a court of law decides. I'm not saying lock the guy up. What I'm saying is hold him accountable. He earns his living on the public's dime, and admitting to lying to the police about an accident in the middle of the night is rather fishy. Throw in his complete lack of loyalty to Chicago, I think the Bears would actually be better off kicking his sorry butt off the team and sending a message: nobody comes before the team. Especially given the Tank Williams fiasco. Or do you want to become Raiders East?

Heck, even the Packers had more balls than Lovie and da Bears. All-pro TE Chmura was never convicted of anything, but he was still gone after a rather poor lapse in judgement. Nothing was proven in a court of law, but the Packers had enough integrity to get rid of him anyway. Why? Because even if there wasn't enough evidence in a court of law, they had the guts to say they hold their players to a higher standard than the legal system. But hey, let's just see how low the Bears are willing to go.

Have fun down there. And watch out for the bullfish, sturgeon and the rest of the bottom feeders.
kc_at_soldierfie lddotcom

United States

#52 Sep 4, 2007
So now you want to lump Briggs in with a child molestor, huh? That's way more of stretch than I think any reasonable fan is willing to go, even one who agrees with your position.
Here's the problem I have: You're basing your entire arguement on the supposition that Briggs was drunk, and I think that's unfair. Even the Chmura case had some pretty substantial evidence of wrong-doing: a young woman who said he fondled her. Whether you like it or not, the only evidence in Briggs' case is a wrecked Lamborghini, one that is known to be difficult to handle because of the power it puts out.
Quote: "I don't think we have to hold public figures to what a court of law decides." So, what else would you like to do? Shred The Constitution? Let's just crap on it and the freedoms it guarantees. And why don't you bring back communism or some other kind of totalitarian establishment for old-times sake while you're at it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tank Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Bear Bryan Robinson found dead in Milwau... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News The Five Worst Uniforms In NFL History (Jun '07) Apr '11 LOL 7
News Cowboys take on Cowboys North Sunday in Hall of... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Jojo 3
News Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 Dr Phil 5
News Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 proFootballTickets 1
News Six Cowboys Exes Take Asylum In Cincy (Aug '10) Aug '10 Lynn B 1
News Why Your Team Won't Win The Super Bowl: Cincinn... (Jun '10) Jun '10 hatchet 3
More from around the web