An enabler? No question

An enabler? No question

There are 52 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Aug 28, 2007, titled An enabler? No question. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Some of us still are trying to figure out what Lovie Smith's threshold for poor behavior is when it comes to his players.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
boulderbears

Arvada, CO

#1 Aug 29, 2007
Hey Rick, c'mon, this was a fender bender; besides, no animals were injured in this diligent automobile testing.
Ted Turner

Arlington Heights, IL

#2 Aug 29, 2007
You're way off base with this. Smith and the Bears have shown that they stand behind their players, as they should, but will not tolerate repeat offenders (e.g., Tank "Armed to the Teeth" Johnson). They cut Tank even though doing so hurt their chances on the field.

Briggs screwed up and you don't need Smith to confirm that fact. My reaction to this article is that you're punishing Smith for not answering your questions and that you're taking a highly questionable stance to draw attention to yourself.
The Ax Man

Lake Zurich, IL

#3 Aug 29, 2007
With a name like Lovie,what do you expect?Smith's credibility is shrinking by the minute thanks to his "bad news bears"hey Lance, reinsate your boycott to reporters you sound like an idiot.Looking for role models in the NFL? You'll go blind.
Steelguy

Perry, FL

#4 Aug 29, 2007
If Briggs was drinking, he did the smart thing for the team. He likely avoided a suspension by removing the evidence (himself) from the scene. That doesn't make it right, but which way does his moral compass point anyway? This is another illustration of the fact that it's time to tighten the belt witth respect to pro athletes. Don't give them our time and money. Layoffs would be fair.
Tad

Louisville, KY

#5 Aug 29, 2007
well written and unfortunately very true.
Tim

Wilmington, NC

#6 Aug 29, 2007
Poor Ricky is mad at Lovie. Big deal.
JFish

Kansas City, KS

#7 Aug 29, 2007
Looks like the Michael Vick Lesson only took one day to be ignored. Fantastic.

http://jfishsports.blogspot.com/
Andykid

Chicago, IL

#8 Aug 29, 2007
Is anyone else out there sick of Lance? I mean the guy is offended when the Bears offer him a 7 million for one year of work. In my opinion, this was the last straw. The guy doesn't appreciate the city of chicago or the bears. I'm just so sick of these criminals playing professional sports. Enough is enough. Lance, you stink!
NCB

Lexington, NC

#9 Aug 29, 2007
Rick is dead on with this - I would be willing to say that if 90% of the people in this country left the scene of an accident and gave a false 911 report, they would either be fired from their job immediately, or suspended without pay until the conviction came through - For an organization to ignore event after event like this makes the organization just as wrong as the players breaking the law -
JaredB

Hopkins, MN

#10 Aug 29, 2007
Completely agree with everything written in this column. The Bears and their "coach" are not standing up for what is right - they are standing up for what is best for the team status and butts in the seats. Its too bad that the coaching staff and management of a franchise like the Bears is more than willing to "look the other way" when it comes to something as obviously amiss as this situation. Briggs is not being completely forthright with information about what happened and Lovie is more than happy to look the other way. Shame.
shoo

Union, IL

#11 Aug 29, 2007
Absolutely right on. Who in their right mind believes Brigg's story? He had over 24 hours and counseling from the Bear's PR guys, and that's the best story he could come up with? Why did he call a tow truck for the car and THEN call and report it stolen? The truth will eventually come out and then they will all look even more foolish. Ridiculous!! Just keep enabling them and they will continue to act like rules and laws don't apply to them.
Ron

United States

#12 Aug 29, 2007
It doesn't matter, get Rex under control, his skills simply don't make sense!
mediagonetoofar

Houston, TX

#13 Aug 29, 2007
Morrisey...Get out of Chicago.....making this into ANOTHER Media attention thing.....sick of this.....
How Lovie handles this is his business for his team..what he says to media & what he said to Briggs are probably 2 different things & keeping it in house...away from you guys who put assumptions into everything...
since when is it bad behavior to be out at 3am...not illegal...ok so he walked away from crash...not smart, but he accepted the responsibility...end of story for you & the media.....Stop!!! Please!!!!
Do I have to call Rick Morrissey every time my child does something not so smart...NO, because it is not newsworthy...so why does Lovie have to get your approval on this...only because it is an athlete in Chicago!!! People walking away from accidnets has happened before & I do not see it on Front Page or even in paper..It is dealt with th epolice & the family/organization
Get a life Morrissey..Leave it alone!!!.....
Terry Durbin

Burlington, IA

#14 Aug 29, 2007
I admire Lovie Smith's ability to keep his level of frustration with player behavior to himself. His job is to coach the football team. How he handles his players behind closed doors at Halas Hall is his business. He is not required to let his emotions get the better of him and publicly decry any infractions. Why should he provide raw material for muckraking writers who are only intrested in creating controversy?
CMoe

Chicago, IL

#15 Aug 29, 2007
Morrissey writes poorly, thinks poorly, and doesn't actually enjoy sports. Why does he have this job? Oh, right. He knew someone. Nice.
mediagonetoofar

Houston, TX

#16 Aug 29, 2007
no...you goofballs..you would not get fired from your job...from walking away from an accident...you will go to court..pay a fine & move on with your life...

He made a mistake...do you know he was drunk..maybe the car was too powerful for him at the speed he was going....nobody knows...quit feeding Morrissey & making his big head even bigger!!

To compare Vick with this is just absurd....one mistake compared to years of illegal activity....c'mon!!!.....like you've never made mistakes???

The media is a monster that has divided the public from the athlete...they just want to sell newspapers or have them listen to their sports talk show.....
mediagonetoofar

Houston, TX

#17 Aug 29, 2007
Those who are ripping Briggs/Smith are those who are jealous of the athlete making millions to play a game.....they couldn't do it, so they destroy what they couldn't have!!!

Get over it!!!
laurence

United States

#18 Aug 29, 2007
Could it be.. mmmmm.. just a thought.. mediagonetoofar is Lance Brigg's PR man trying to put a positive spin on a negative here??? Next time I'd suggest duct tape over Lance's mouth. He would have done better not to open his mouth, than to open it and cause us all to think he's a lying piece of crap.
Lynda

Orlando, FL

#19 Aug 29, 2007
And they won't let Pete Rose in the Baseball Hall of Fame because he bet on his team to win?
Roadrunner 1

Ann Arbor, MI

#20 Aug 29, 2007
Lovie Smith is a joke when it comes to holding his players to high ethical standards. The professional athlete should be a role model to the kids who look up to them. That was the case with Ernie Banks, Ryan Sandberg, Billy Williams, Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, Brian Piccolo, etc. Why do the Bears tolerate a coach whose behavior standards are in the dirt? He essentially ran Anthony Thomas out of Chicago even though Thomas had rushing statistics comparable to Payton's early years. Thomas was a positive contributor to the community and was acknowledged by the Chicago press for his off the field demeanor. I think that this reflects the depths to which the Bears owners have gone. If Smith doesn't act then the owners should.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tank Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Bear Bryan Robinson found dead in Milwau... Jun '16 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News The Five Worst Uniforms In NFL History (Jun '07) Apr '11 LOL 7
News Cowboys take on Cowboys North Sunday in Hall of... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Jojo 3
News Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 Dr Phil 5
News Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 proFootballTickets 1
News Six Cowboys Exes Take Asylum In Cincy (Aug '10) Aug '10 Lynn B 1
News Why Your Team Won't Win The Super Bowl: Cincinn... (Jun '10) Jun '10 hatchet 3
More from around the web