Cowboys' aim: Lasso Bears' info via T...

Cowboys' aim: Lasso Bears' info via Tank?

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 17, 2007, titled Cowboys' aim: Lasso Bears' info via Tank?. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Is the Cowboys' interest in Tank Johnson legitimate, or do they just want to interview Johnson to pump him for information on the Bears before Sunday's matchup at Soldier Field? More should be known Tuesday, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Mike

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Sep 18, 2007
The Bears need to re-sign Tank ASAP. The guy was canned for no reason (he was not driving under the influence after all). Not to mention we could use him with all out injuries. But the chance of that happening is about the same as Griese starting as QB against Dallas. If only us Bears fans were making the decisions instead of Lovie "I love you guys" Smith, we'd see the Superbowl again.
Kris

Arlington, VA

#2 Sep 18, 2007
I not sure how much usefull information the cowboys could get from someone who hasn't been with the team for training camp, preseason etc. The so called gamemanship has only been played by the bears by signing Cowboys FB Politte 2/3 weeks ago. The Bears will need all the help they can get, so give them credit. I'm sure that hasn't gone unnotticed at Valley Ranch.
Jack

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Sep 18, 2007
Good for Tank. I hope he brings his six-shooters to Texas because I believe if you're a cowboy, you are allowed to have one.
ditkajr

Cerritos, CA

#4 Sep 18, 2007
Mike wrote:
The Bears need to re-sign Tank ASAP. The guy was canned for no reason (he was not driving under the influence after all). Not to mention we could use him with all out injuries. But the chance of that happening is about the same as Griese starting as QB against Dallas. If only us Bears fans were making the decisions instead of Lovie "I love you guys" Smith, we'd see the Superbowl again.
Canned for no reason? Having artilery in the back of his car isn't enough? Sometimes you have to put inegrity before the game unlike mlb and the steroid era. I do agree with you about Griese. Big contract and no playing time? Why did we sign him?
Bradley

Waxahachie, TX

#5 Sep 18, 2007
Kris wrote:
I not sure how much usefull information the cowboys could get from someone who hasn't been with the team for training camp, preseason etc. The so called gamemanship has only been played by the bears by signing Cowboys FB Politte 2/3 weeks ago. The Bears will need all the help they can get, so give them credit. I'm sure that hasn't gone unnotticed at Valley Ranch.
Very true Kris! Tank hasn't been with the Bears organization for months. Polite was with the Cowboys during training camp... The Bears will get more info out of Polite than the Cowboys would get out of Tank.
Mikey

New York, NY

#6 Sep 18, 2007
How much could Tank Johnson know? He wasn't a play caller. The only thing that he possibly could know is the tendency of certain players. The Cowboys could get more information from studying game film than from Tank Johnson. Tank Johnson doesn't seem like the type to memorize play calls. Play calling and play calling code changes from year to year. Lovie Smith is an idiot if he doesn't change his play calling schemes and codes from year to year, especially now with all this uncovering of cheating and signal interception. He should know that teams try to steal signs, so most likely those signs have changed from last year. Cowboys are trying to pick up Tank because obviously they have a huge hole at nose tackle with J.Ferguson out for the year, who out there right now is better qualified than T.Johnson? Cowboys can't rely on Jay Ratliff and Remi Ayodele, they need more proven experience even though Tank won't be able to play until later due to suspension.
Bob C

Atlanta, GA

#7 Sep 18, 2007
The NFL should not allow Tank Johnsonto talk to any team until his suspension is served. It is unfair to the bears that he could not live up to his teams rules after giving him chance after chance to do the right thing! And now its gonna be used against them.WRONG!!!
Stewart

Lovettsville, VA

#8 Sep 18, 2007
Mikey wrote:
How much could Tank Johnson know? He wasn't a play caller. The only thing that he possibly could know is the tendency of certain players. The Cowboys could get more information from studying game film than from Tank Johnson. Tank Johnson doesn't seem like the type to memorize play calls. Play calling and play calling code changes from year to year. Lovie Smith is an idiot if he doesn't change his pla
y calling schemes and codes from year to year, especially now with all this uncovering of cheating and signal interception. He should know that teams try to steal signs, so most likely those signs have changed from last year. Cowboys are trying to pick up Tank because obviously they have a huge hole at nose tackle with J.Ferguson out for the year, who out there right now is better qualified than T.Johnson? Cowboys can't rely on Jay Ratliff and Remi Ayodele, they need more proven experience even though Tank won't be able to play until later due to suspension.
UMMM, you'd think that he has read the play book.
chaunceyatrest

Chicago, IL

#9 Sep 18, 2007
Mikey is exactly right. Even assuming Tank Johnson knew every single strength, weakness, & play called in the Bears' defensive huddle, he'd be operating on last year's knowledge, which was Ron Rivera's system. He has no better idea what Bob Babich's system is all about than does anybody else watching game film.
Mikey

New York, NY

#10 Sep 18, 2007
Stewart wrote:
<quoted text>
UMMM, you'd think that he has read the play book.
My point is that this article is trying to make the point that the Cowboys are trying to gain a huge advantage by signing T.Johnson. His knowledge, if he still has any of it left will have no impact on what happens on the field. On top of that what good is a playbook if you don't know what defensive play is coming next. Romo can make the reads at the line and make adjustments on his own, quaterbacks for the most part know when a blitz is coming, it's up to the offense to stop it, it doesn't mean that the Cowboys will be effective in thwarting whatever the Bears bring but it makes no difference what little Tank knows. This guys has been away from the Bears to long know what's going on this year.
Andre Brown

Chicago, IL

#11 Sep 18, 2007
The Bears lost Dustin who was a promising tackle for the season. I feel that the Bears should bring Tank back. His alcohol level was clearly below the legal limit. I feel that Chicago would welcome Tank back with open arms.
southeast side fan

Naperville, IL

#12 Sep 18, 2007
sounds like someone is loosing sleep about playing the bears no
Fred P

Lewis Center, OH

#13 Sep 18, 2007
The mere fact that the Dallas Cowboys would stoop to such lows in order to get the "goods" onthe Chicago Bears should not be a surprise. Cowboy owner Jerry Jones will dig deep to get back to the Super Bowl. The Bears are in his way!
Tony

Saint Petersburg, FL

#14 Sep 18, 2007
Cowboys use Tank for info on Bears? HEY THAT'S CHEATING!!!
Big Mistake

United States

#15 Sep 18, 2007
regardless, who do you think will win the game considering the Cowboys are playing so well?
Bradley

Waxahachie, TX

#16 Sep 18, 2007
All of this is a moot point now that the Cowboys have officially signed Tank to a 2 year deal. So much for your conspiracy theory.
gary

Knoxville, TN

#17 Sep 18, 2007
legit as the cowboys are americas team if that is enough info to put the cowboys over the top then we don't deserve to win. we're betterand we are going to prove it period
Patrick

Downers Grove, IL

#18 Sep 18, 2007
Gotta love Texas yahoos and their clear lack of knowledge with the English language (punctuation and grammar). The reason they signed Tank is because their defense needs a bunch of help. It has no reason to do with this weeks game. They know the Bears have a new defensive coordinator, at least I hope they do. They will see more aggressive play and blitzing in two weeks of film study then Tanky could offer from all of last year. Should be a good game but sorry 'boys, your time has come.
No_More_Rexcuses

Queensbury, NY

#19 Sep 18, 2007
Signing Tank was a terrible decision...He couldn't play the run in Chicago playing in a 4-3. How the hell is he going to hold up against the run as a nose tackle in a 3-4?

Tank is a pretty decent pass rushing DT and thats all he is. He's pretty overrated...if it wasn't for all the trouble he's been in nobody would know who he is.
LOCUT

Alexandria, VA

#20 Sep 19, 2007
HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tank Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Bear Bryan Robinson found dead in Milwau... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News The Five Worst Uniforms In NFL History (Jun '07) Apr '11 LOL 7
News Cowboys take on Cowboys North Sunday in Hall of... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Jojo 3
News Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 Dr Phil 5
News Cowboys to take on Cowboys North - the Bengals (Aug '10) Aug '10 proFootballTickets 1
News Six Cowboys Exes Take Asylum In Cincy (Aug '10) Aug '10 Lynn B 1
News Why Your Team Won't Win The Super Bowl: Cincinn... (Jun '10) Jun '10 hatchet 3
More from around the web