Steven Jackson to Green Bay? 'Makes a lot of sense'

Mar 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: LombardiAve

Jackson, who voided his contract yesterday with the St. Louis Rams , is no free to sign with any team he wants -and he can do it before Tuesday's official start to the Free Agency period.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Mar 12, 2013
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

No he doesn't. At his price tag (and I love Steven Jackson's play) we might as well re-sign 2 Cedric Bensons and see if between them they can last a whole season and not fumble 20 footballs. We know Steven Jackson won't last the whole season. Peter King also predicted we'd be in the Super Bowl last year (despite our "pathetic" backs). Hey, I'd like to run the ball as much as anybody else, but I also am aware that aside from keeping the defense honest, every time we hand off we're taking the ball out of our best player's hands.
We need tacklers, pass protection and new receiver talent.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

We also can use some clock killing drives and keep the defense rested and give Rodgers some help by a running game and opening up the passing game even more
IM with you with Jackson,but, we could use a RB,although,DuJaun Harris did a real nice job stepping in, but, can he do it the whole season? Who knows,no reason to doubt it either way.
IM with you with tackles,pass protection ( Bulaga the answer there at LT?)WR talent and some big contracts to resign.I actually wouldnt mind bringing back Cedric Benson if it didnt cost a whole lot more then a vets minimum.
Alex Green hasnt done a whole lot,James Starks has done well when healthy,that said...DuJuan Harris,Cedric Benson and ??????( draft pick im thinking) and a new FB who can block better then Kuhn ( and save us 2M+ per year would help).
I like Jackson very much,but, at what price? thats the question and we cant afford to dump a huge load of cash.
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

At what price, agreed. Plus McCarthy isn't committed to the run anyway. He wasn't when Benson was in there (100 yd games?), and it won't change with Jackson. We scored 31 points at SF and got beat bad. Defense. Defense. Deefense. Cut down the sacks. And we're suddenly short on WR depth.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

Every Year,coach Mc. preaches he wants to run and we never end up do it.I do wonder if Coach Mc. would run more if we did have a better back and FB back there.Are you convinced Jennings is gone? I was until now.I read where Jennings wants 12M,articles where he may go ect.Thing is,reading this and that,will he get 12M? IF NOT and he only gets offered 8M,9M thats basically what he got last year,so,its possible GB can resign him,then you read where Jennings can use other offers ect ( opinion of others)against the Packers.
anyway,Jones,Nelson and Cobb are a solid 3 and we will need both Boykins and Ross to get better,both have a great upside,but, thats just it,UPSIDE,but,ive read Mocks where GB actually takes a WR early ( not that Mocks matter much at all really) but yea,you are right about that most def.TT should take a WR.TT will take that Best Player Available im sure! We knew that was his M.O. early ( when he was rebuilding GB a few years back) but He seems to continue that trend,so we shall see! Here anything new on Chris Canty?
Jeremy

Mooreton, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

I dont see an aging overpriced RB joining the Packers. I can see either Reggie Bush or Ahmad Bradshaw joining the squad,both are good pass catchers and dangerous out in the open field,thats the kind of RB GB needs. I can also see either Avril or Canty joining the Packers also, we need a DE just as bad as a RB.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

I just was reading the WSJ this morning.Basically GB is 21M under, they need 5M or so for the draft,3-4M for restricted contract offers ( Evan D-S and Sam Shields) so thats 8-9M there thats 13-14M left and they want to resign Rodgers and Mathews this offseason and leave as little cap damage in the future as possible .( the rest of this is my words and or opinons ect not the article)( in other words more cash up front) and it sounds like Rodgers ( cap number is 9.5M this year,will hit 20M SO thats 10-11M MORE out of that 13-14M) Mathews is around 5-6M in cap this year.
TT has been here for 8 years,has signed 11 FA and spent 21M in FA bonuses ( and the majority of those were Woodson and Pickett) SO if they do sign Stephen Jackson,Chris Canty or Cullen Jenkins it will be because the market is soft on them ( that last comment was part of the article)
I dont see Bradshaw joining us as cool as that might be,id also love Cliff Avril but was to much cash.Canty or Jenkins i can see esp of Canty is willing to play for much less then the 6-7M he made in NY and as long as the Packer offer is close to Tenn or Jacksonville ( assuming he wants to make the playoffs as a priority over a bit higher pay)
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

To answer your earlier post, no, I'm not convinced Jennings is gone because I don't think he wants to leave--so you never know. All indications are (from what I read) that they'll re-structure Hawk (they would have cut him by now as a courtesy). Cullen Jenkins is a real possibility-he wants another ring. It was a noticeable difference immediately without him. Canty is younger, though. Not sure Avril would fit our scheme--end up being another situational player. This will give us good indication of how they might draft.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

My only question is Hawk isnt a whole lot of cash,so how much do they save by reno. him instead of cutting him outright
21M under cap
Need 5M or so draft picks
need 3-4M in restricted picks
want to resign Mathews and Rodgers L.T. and not a whole lot of cash to do it with.
SO;
next year( after the 13 season)( if House is healthy which he should be) House,Hayward and Shields SHould allow Williams to be cut loose and Finley as well if esp. if Quarless and Crabtree step up again.Together thats 16.5M W/O taking a hit in either position but again TT said they want to leave the least amount of cap cost in the future ( i took that as front loading CM and AR a bit).The more i look at it,the more i think Jenkins maybe a good resign ( he should come at a reasonable cost) and we did see the loss after he left,but, how much does he have left in the tank? As well as the more i read up,im really thinking Canty is going to be out Of GB price range unless Tennessee and Jacksonville are really the only 2 teams interested,then i can see him going to GB on the cheap for a shot at a SB championship ( 2 year deal or so)or maybe a 1 year deal ( giving Jarel Worthy a year off with his torn ACL to heal up and be ready for 14)
normallylikeyell ow

Clearfield, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Then why cut Hawk if he's not a lot of cash (saves $2.5 million against the cap)? That's what I've been saying. You know what, you're right, let's replace him with Monti Teo. The Giants would be delighted. Based on last year's numbers that's be around $1.3 million in cap hit (W. Mercilus). Meanwhile, we got a kicker making 3 times that. He'd be a lot easier to replace if you ask me.
Looks like Jenkins is a Giant.

eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

I just read GB gave Evan D-S a low tender ( 1.3M salary) and if another team signs him to an offer sheet and GB decides not to match,they get no compensation for him and of course if hes not offered anything,hes in GB for 1.3M or so for 13 season.They brought in some soccer player to try out last week,they brought in a guy who kicked very well in camp for Oakland last year but Janakowski beat him out,so apparently Mason Crosby is getting competition next year.im not all gungho for cutting Hawk but with Lattimore and Manning ready to step up,Bishop should be ready and a LB should be available its cap space or a trading piece to free up a few MIllion and pick up a pick,OR as i proved his numbers are solid compared to probowlers,so, i like Hawk hes a good backer and to his advantage,Hawk,Lattimore and Manning will be the only healthy inside backers come camp time and Bishop and Smith getting into shape to start the season from whats been Written, but at the same time.Lattimore looks like he will be pretty solid,Manning spent his typical TT rookie year learning and if Bishop is healthy and they draft a LB,Hawk frees them up a few Million that maybe the tipping point between signing n not signing,,I only want the cap space.Tramon Williams will be great cap space,but,Shields has to play well again,House has to prove hes healthy and a starter ( he was before he injured his shoulder) and ive never heard the coaches say Williams corner job is up for grabs and if its Shields for 3M,House nad Hayward for 1M+ and WIlliams at 8M and a pick that played well his rookie season,id say Williams is odd man out.Finley as well.
Robert Berry

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

If we could get J Long or E Winston or S Vollmer an draft one if the top 3centers would really help. An draft a really good starting DE an RB. Time for Ted to pull his head out. Plus the Bears jus got better with theirstupid signings. GO PACK GO
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

Stephen Jackson goes from a young qb to Aaron Rodgers
S.J. gets much better WR a better oline and gets to play on grass instead of turf,which helps..PLUS in STL Jackson is a huge part of the offense,In GB he is a complimentary player meaning AR has targets and its pass first..SO although Jackson hasnt played very many full seasons ( from what ive heard),he wont be getting hammered as much with DuJuan Harris back there and AR throwing all over the place,Id like to see Jackson get carries here and there and keep him for 4th quarter to keep drives alive by pounding the ball as we have seen a few to many late drives fall short where a big back and a few more First downs helps put games away.
eric

Junction City, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

But again, he has to come pretty cheap.He left STL and a good contract,so hes not going to come cheap,so i dont know about the stories of GB being the leading contender,,ive heard they were the leading contender to sign him

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Steven Jackson Discussions

Search the Steven Jackson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Now a Falcon, Steven Jackson set to face origin... (Sep '13) Sep '13 decervant4 8
Pittsburgh Steelers Rumors: Team Interested in ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 teddy mo steelersnation 3
What Does Steven Jackson Voiding His Contract M... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Luke bronco beast 1
49ers vs Rams: Instant Grades, Analysis for St.... (Dec '12) Jan '13 brent0025 3
What to expect from Greg Olson Raiders offense (Jan '13) Jan '13 Nj raider 1 8
Peterson rushes for 212 yard in Vikings' win ov... (Dec '12) Dec '12 erie-vike fan 3
Three Keys to Victory: Vikings at Rams, 16th De... (Dec '12) Dec '12 StlRamNation 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••