Source: Favre doesn't fit into Ravens' plans

There are 16 comments on the Jul 14, 2008, Baltimore Sun story titled Source: Favre doesn't fit into Ravens' plans. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The Ravens are unlikely to show interest in acquiring Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre , a team source said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Murrays Law

Ellicott City, MD

#41 Jul 14, 2008
Rob wrote:
Ya Farve Would Br a Great Mentor For Smth and Flacco...He could show them How a 15 Year Vet Throws a Ridiculous Interception In the Right Flat In the NFC Championship Game With a chance to go to the superbowl on the line.I've Always admired his competiveness but He's thrown more questionable interceptions than any quarterback I can think of....not the kind of quarterback you would want to teach being that He himself seems to have no Fundamental Structure.
Hah! You sound just like my cousin who lives in Sin City. He's a Football Expert (breathes that stuff) and said the same thing you did: Fava-Beans holds the all-time record for interceptions.
pstroms

Baltimore, MD

#42 Jul 14, 2008
I say go for it. This team isn't as bad as the press writes it up to be. We either rebuild and have a bad year or get Favre for a year or two and have him mentor Flacco. We have a solid defense, a good running back tandem, a good tight end (if healthy) so why not? The division is up for grabs this year in my opinion. Getting Favre would put us up as one of the favorites. We are looking at 5 wins this year with the tam we have if lucky, it wouldn't mortgage our future in any way. It would help him because Flacco would get to watch hin for at least a year, go for it.
shrimptrawler

Portland, OR

#43 Jul 14, 2008
Joe flacco is supposed to watch Brett favre and get better...yeah, right.

Who did Joe Montana watch in SF to get better?

Who did Peyton Manning watch in Indy to get better? Jack Trudeau? Sean Salisbury?

That veteran/rookie teaching is a bunch of crock. Its just a stupid spin the talking heads on espn brainwash to its audience. If a QB has it, he has it.
Mike

AOL

#44 Jul 14, 2008
Would you like to see Favre come to the Ravens and perform like John Unitas played with the Chargers??
Mike

AOL

#45 Jul 14, 2008
Favre is a Packer great! McNair was a Titans great! We have three young quarterbacks with great abilities. Lets let them compete and earn the staeting job!!
Mike

AOL

#46 Jul 14, 2008
OK
If you people think Favre would do such a great job here! Bring him here and let's see how great he would perform behind the Ravens O-line!! After next season he will do another tearfull retirement but after that, l think we will finally be rid of him!
redskinnyboy

Centreville, VA

#47 Jul 14, 2008
Favre will probably go to Miami but he would rather go to the Redskins and just might if "THE SNYDER" isn't asleep at the wheel.
patrick

Baltimore, MD

#48 Jul 15, 2008
I don't understand: right now Brett Favre is better than Steve McNair was in any of the last five years before Baltimore acquired him. So why wouldn't the Ravens want to improve themselves -- even if Favre only played for the next two seasons?
patrick

Baltimore, MD

#49 Jul 15, 2008
Mike wrote:
Would you like to see Favre come to the Ravens and perform like John Unitas played with the Chargers??
Flawed logic: was Unitas Sports Illustrated's Man of the Year for his play the season before he went to San Diego?
GHT

Portland, OR

#50 Jul 15, 2008
Mike wrote:
Johnny U was on his last leg. Difference is, Brett has pently left in the tank. Someone will pick him up and be competitive next year and I am guessing that John Gruden and the Bucs will make it happen.
Tom

Pasadena, MD

#51 Jul 15, 2008
Wow, Rob way to have some "optimism" about the Ravens this year. If it stinks to be a Ravens fan, then go ahead and jump on the "Brown Stains" band wagon I here it's getting pretty full, so you better get on fast.
Tom

Pasadena, MD

#52 Jul 15, 2008
Wow, Rob way to have some "optimism" about the Ravens this year. If it stinks to be a Ravens fan, then go ahead and jump on the "Brown Stains" band wagon I here it's getting pretty full, so you better get on fast.
Caruso

Sherman, TX

#53 Jul 15, 2008
Dan S wrote:
Even though this might be a moot point since Favre and the Pack are at a standstill, why the heck not? This makes perfect sense. It's been proven time and time again that Boller is not the answer, and I have a feeling that the same is true for Smith. That leaves a ton of pressure on Flacco, but if the Ravens brought in Favre, I mean, what better mentor for a young kid? Plus, Flacco wouldn't feel any pressure to start as a rookie. If they have the option, they should pull the trigger on that in a second.
Having watched Favre in GB all these years, he'll do nothing to mentor anyone. The first year Rodgers was around, Favre came out and said, "It's not my job to help anyone else out." He pretty much never talked to Rodgers. Last year, it was better, and they seemed to have some communication, but he never did much of anything to try and help Rodgers along.

I have to say that the mythical Brett Favre is losing a little of his luster here in GB.
Dan S

Mcalpin, FL

#54 Jul 15, 2008
Caruso wrote:
<quoted text>
Having watched Favre in GB all these years, he'll do nothing to mentor anyone. The first year Rodgers was around, Favre came out and said, "It's not my job to help anyone else out." He pretty much never talked to Rodgers. Last year, it was better, and they seemed to have some communication, but he never did much of anything to try and help Rodgers along.
I have to say that the mythical Brett Favre is losing a little of his luster here in GB.
Good points, but somehow I think he would approach this situation a little differently. I'm sure Favre saw it as a slap in the face when the team drafted Rodgers, and saw the young QB as the heir apparent. In that position, I'm sure he didn't want to give the competition any advantage that might help Rodgers overthrow the old man.
In this potential situation, Favre knows that his days are numbered, and might want to pass on his knowledge to a young guy, especially if Flacco was receptive to Favre's advice (I might be wrong, but in the interviews I've seen with Rodgers, he seems to bristle at the mention of Favre. They probably didn't have the best relationship). From a selfish standpoint, Favre could take credit for Flacco's rise if he ends up being a top-tier QB.
Eric

Grove City, OH

#55 Jul 15, 2008
For those that think Favre would ever teach a young QB anything obviously haven't seen what the egomaniac has done in GB. He'll never bother teaching other QB's the game, because he thinks only HE can do it.
Dan S

Mcalpin, FL

#56 Jul 16, 2008
shrimptrawler wrote:
Joe flacco is supposed to watch Brett favre and get better...yeah, right.
Who did Joe Montana watch in SF to get better?
Who did Peyton Manning watch in Indy to get better? Jack Trudeau? Sean Salisbury?
That veteran/rookie teaching is a bunch of crock. Its just a stupid spin the talking heads on espn brainwash to its audience. If a QB has it, he has it.
Peyton watched nobody, he started from day one.
Montana backed up Steve DeBerg for the first year or so before taking the reins.

Flacco could learn a lot from Favre, even if Flacco was the starter (if Favre would be willing to be a mentor). But judging by the way he was talking in that Fox News interview, Favre wants to be the man, wherever he ends up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steve McNair Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) May '13 Ashley 6
News NFL notebook: Fisher won't be back with Titans ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Go Blue 4
News Donovan McNabb Goes to Washington (Apr '10) Apr '10 Paulette 1
News Ravens Vs. Bengals: Keys to a Ravens Victory (Nov '09) Nov '09 OuchOStinko 1
News King's Island Removes Display of Dead Celebriti... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Floon Buster 7
News Nair's Estate in Turmoil (Jul '09) Aug '09 MELROSE 4
News Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Valarie 7
More from around the web