Source: Favre doesn't fit into Ravens...

Source: Favre doesn't fit into Ravens' plans

There are 56 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jul 14, 2008, titled Source: Favre doesn't fit into Ravens' plans. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The Ravens are unlikely to show interest in acquiring Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre , a team source said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Os Fan

Manassas, VA

#1 Jul 14, 2008
This is crazy. The Ravens have to at least inquire to see what the Packers might want for Favre. How can you say no when you don't know what the price is? If the Pack wants a 4th round draft pick, you wouldn't do it? At least ask and if GB is asking way too much, at least the Ravens can tell their fans they tried. Favre is head and shoulders (or more!) better than anything the team has now. Get Favre, cut Boller, and let Brett teach Smith and Flacco how to play for a year.
Doug

Middle River, MD

#2 Jul 14, 2008
I must admit, I think the Ravens did say no too soon. You still don't know if he's they are really going to keep him without cutting him or not, because there is so much time between now and the beginning of the season, no matter what they say. And you don't know their asking price yet? I would hope this report is false, because the Ravens usually take a looksy to find out what the starting bid is going to be.
eric

Owings Mills, MD

#3 Jul 14, 2008
The Ravens know that they can't afford the Cap hit it would take to bring him here. Plus, I doubt Brett would want to be traded here knowing next year it's Flacco's team.
Dan S

Mcalpin, FL

#4 Jul 14, 2008
Even though this might be a moot point since Favre and the Pack are at a standstill, why the heck not? This makes perfect sense. It's been proven time and time again that Boller is not the answer, and I have a feeling that the same is true for Smith. That leaves a ton of pressure on Flacco, but if the Ravens brought in Favre, I mean, what better mentor for a young kid? Plus, Flacco wouldn't feel any pressure to start as a rookie. If they have the option, they should pull the trigger on that in a second.
Attila the Hon

United States

#5 Jul 14, 2008
To paraphrase the words of Fielding Mellish (played by Woody Allen) from the movie "Bananas," the Brett Favre situation "is a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of sham." I don't want Favre anywhere close to the Baltimore Ravens.
Josh

Parkton, MD

#6 Jul 14, 2008
I would want Favre on the Ravens as much as anyone does, but in this case we can't have him because we have a young offensive line that's currently developing, and they could be trouble for some games this upcoming season and I wouldn't bet on Favre playing with an inexperienced offensive line. The Ravens need to stop picking up veteran QB's because that has happened twice or more. Instead they became embarassments towards the end of their careers. I wouldn't wanna see that happening to Brett Favre

So its time for the Ravens to lean on either Troy Smith or Joe Flacco to be successful. Plus we have a new coach, new offensive cordinator and training camp starts next week and Favre would have to learn the offensive system real quick and that's not good news.
Rob

Boyertown, PA

#7 Jul 14, 2008
Josh hit the nail on the head. No way does Farve or any other self-respecting QB want to play for the Ravens and their patchwork O-Line. It's going to be a long year. Ozzie has neglected the fundamentals again by drafting Flacco in the 1st round. I'm not sold on Gaither at tackle and who is going to play on the right side? 3-13 here we come. It stinks being a Bmore fan; first the O's crash in the 2nd half, then the Ravens spend 17 weeks being the whipping boys of the AFC North and the NFC East. Ouch!
Go Away Brett

Vienna, VA

#8 Jul 14, 2008
This is getting pathetic. I knew he would have a hard time hanging up the cleats, but come on.....
Marcus

Staffordville, CT

#9 Jul 14, 2008
I believe his salary would be too much to take on, which is why they likely wouldn't take him, but it would seriously be nice to have him for a year so Flacco could learn from him. I'm sick of Favre's act but he would be an asset to Flacco for sure.
Jim

Baltimore, MD

#10 Jul 14, 2008
Baltimore has a great quarterback in Smith but fails to recognize it.

While it might be good to have a vet. to show him the ropes, he'll do fine. Instead, invest in an offensive line to protect the quarterback so he can do his job.

When Smith played behind an outstanding line at OSU, he did big things. Let's hope the Ravens can provide the same kind of opportunity.

Wait until training camp starts. You're going to see a work ethic and dedication that may be new to the Ravens. He was trained by some of the best at OSU.

Flacco had better not hold out into training camp. He may find that his value will drop quick when they realize he will be the backup to Smith.
next year guy

Annapolis, MD

#11 Jul 14, 2008
Continuity calls for a yes to brett
Mcnair would be qb if healthy
Troy will lose alot more than brett and is not your future qb
You have 5 or 6 critical vets who will need replacing very, very soon(see McCalister,Lewis,Heap, Rolle,Pryce) Window isnt closing its about shut.
1.Favre gives us a prayer this year
2. He puts fun and excitement back into an iffy season
3. He forces the team to sit Flacco all year and enhances the future

Logic says with our current roster and situation Favre is the obvious choice.
Put it this way. If McNair was healthy and you could have your pick,who would it be.
must be...right player/right price/right deal
Goals in sync.
GHT

Portland, OR

#12 Jul 14, 2008
thank you
John

Ruffs Dale, PA

#13 Jul 14, 2008
Well am glad the Ravens said No ! One they have no cap room and they have Troy Smith for this year and Big Joe after that.
Bob

Washington, DC

#14 Jul 14, 2008
Look he would get killed here just like Mcnair did behind those 2 tackles that we have. Look you only win games in this league when you have 2 stud offensive tackles and right now we don't have any. Gaither might be good someday but Terry is a bust out. He was a bust out 2nd round draft pick then and he is a bust out tackle right now. END OF STORY>
next year guy

Annapolis, MD

#15 Jul 14, 2008
all good points guys
but i am guessing that after 6 games and a 5-1 record a o-lineman residing in nevada might have a miraculous toe healing
they all get that urge for
"one more time"

and terry is a serviceable tackle who apparently has greatly improved his strenghth this year
heres hoping

And the story said its unlikely.
I guarantee we talk with his reps.
Ozzie would be remiss if he did not at least talk with them
Bob

Washington, DC

#16 Jul 14, 2008
next year guy wrote:
all good points guys
but i am guessing that after 6 games and a 5-1 record a o-lineman residing in nevada might have a miraculous toe healing
they all get that urge for
"one more time"
and terry is a serviceable tackle who apparently has greatly improved his strenghth this year
heres hoping
And the story said its unlikely.
I guarantee we talk with his reps.
Ozzie would be remiss if he did not at least talk with them
Terry is not a serviceable tackle he is so slow out of his stance that fast ends go by him before he is even set up.
Bmore

San Antonio, TX

#17 Jul 14, 2008
I can't believe that Raven's fans are actually entertaining the idea of Brett Favre. Didn't we learn from Grbac, Mcnair, etc. We have to build for the future. Favre has been very clear that he will not mentor any young talent. As good as he is, he refused to help Aaron Rodgers out. With all the young QBs we have that's just not the way go. We got rid of Billick,lets build on that and keep moving forward. Favre is/was talented, but he's becoming a cartoon, with his flip flopping.
Bmore

San Antonio, TX

#18 Jul 14, 2008
next year guy wrote:
Continuity calls for a yes to brett
Mcnair would be qb if healthy
Troy will lose alot more than brett and is not your future qb
You have 5 or 6 critical vets who will need replacing very, very soon(see McCalister,Lewis,Heap, Rolle,Pryce) Window isnt closing its about shut.
1.Favre gives us a prayer this year
2. He puts fun and excitement back into an iffy season
3. He forces the team to sit Flacco all year and enhances the future
Logic says with our current roster and situation Favre is the obvious choice.
Put it this way. If McNair was healthy and you could have your pick,who would it be.
must be...right player/right price/right deal
Goals in sync.
How does sitting Flacco enhance his career? Favre, refused to mentor Rodgers, no reason to believe he would do anything different in Baltimore.
Mike

Virginia Beach, VA

#19 Jul 14, 2008
All I can say is thank God, Brett Favre is white....because if he was black or native american...it would have been a case of the white man holding him down....

Tell em Doug....
next year guy

Annapolis, MD

#20 Jul 14, 2008
Bmore wrote:
<quoted text>
How does sitting Flacco enhance his career? Favre, refused to mentor Rodgers, no reason to believe he would do anything different in Baltimore.
Look, we probably will not sign Brett. He believes he can play 3 more years or he would not be coming back. Just note, the last rookie to truly start his rookie season was Kyle B. Forget Roth in Pitt as he averaged 12 safe throws a game and still almost managed to lose the Super Bowl.
You sit Flacco to watch,listen,observe the speed and grow wiser. Mentoring is way over rated. Pro athletes are out for number 1, period.
But this is a very old team in terms of age or health. McCalister,Rolle,Heap,Lewis,Pr yce,Mason,Stover are about done.
so ok,you have a good qb next year with zero complimentary parts.
This was the original blueprint that fizzled with the Michelin Man.
I am ok with Troy but don't want to hear you complaining when we end up 6-10.
Its now or never for Ray and his posse.
i guarantee he is talking to the OZ

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steve McNair Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) May '13 Ashley 6
News NFL notebook: Fisher won't be back with Titans ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Go Blue 4
News Donovan McNabb Goes to Washington (Apr '10) Apr '10 Paulette 1
News Ravens Vs. Bengals: Keys to a Ravens Victory (Nov '09) Nov '09 OuchOStinko 1
News King's Island Removes Display of Dead Celebriti... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Floon Buster 7
News Nair's Estate in Turmoil (Jul '09) Aug '09 MELROSE 4
News Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Valarie 7
More from around the web