If QBs falter, who'll get blame?

If QBs falter, who'll get blame?

There are 80 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from May 4, 2008, titled If QBs falter, who'll get blame?. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Imagine if some day, in the not-too-distant future, we wake up here in town to the harsh realization that ... it wasn't Brian Billick 's fault after all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
edward keller

Albany, NY

#63 May 6, 2008
who cares, your as bad as Preston. the voice of doom. why can't you be positive for once. it seems most sports writers are just frustrated under achivers.

Since: Feb 08

Perry Point, MD

#64 May 6, 2008
Discodanford wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you want focus on QB, I get the impression you think finding a good QB is easy, or that there is some sort of magic formula.
Nothing could be further from the truth. I understand how hard it is to find a franchise QB, and I feel they should have drafted another QB in the later rounds just for that reason. I don't believe in the theory of drafting one QB in the first round and then feeling obligated to stand pat for 5-6 years because he was the 'chosen one'.
Good QB's are not good because of statistics, they are not good because of throwing motions or strength. They are good because of intellegence, leadership skills, ability to perform in the clutch, and ability to improvise combined with good physical skills.
It is very hard to tell if a QB will have those qualities when they reach the pro level. Once they get there though, it is not hard to tell if a QB has some of the more special qualities. Brodie Croyle is a great example. Dude has only played a handful of games and I would be shocked at this point, after seeing how pedestrian he is behind center, that he would turn out to be anything special. Can he be the guy behind center when the Chiefs get to the playoffs? Maybe, but he will never be the reason they win a playoff game- let alone get to the superbowl, which means the Chiefs are probably spinning their wheels when it comes to winning a championship.
Mark of Cooksville

United States

#65 May 6, 2008
I disagree. Billick MUST bare 100% of the QB failures over the last decade. It was Billick who:
- Billick who got rid of Dilfer
- It was Billick who brought in Grbec
- It was Billick who refused to remove Grbec and let Cunningham play.
-It was Billick who started Boller the 1st game of his first year.
- It was Billick who refused to remove an obviously hurt and ineffective McNair during the playoof game.
- It was Billick who continued to go with McNair during 2007 when everyone in football could see Mcnair had an issue with arm strength and accuracy do to some unknown injury.

Give me a break no that Billick is gone don't back peddle and try to cover yourself in case Flacco doesn't work out.

It was ALL BILLICK.
mike moran

United States

#66 May 6, 2008
Ok here is the deal, Joe Flacco isn't good because:
1: He threw 2 int's in the senior bowl.
2: He threw the ball far downfield at the combine so all the scouts were slobbing his knob.
3: He did NOT dominate his little D2 school. He had about 25 TD's his best season there. Andre Woodson had 40 TD's in the friggin SEC!
4: Flacco has very poor footwork when throwing the ball.
5: He isn't athletic at all, almost no es capability or running threat.

So here is the deal. Just a few months ago a little known guy from a small school made it to the combine just because of his Height/weight and relative success at his particular school. He went from being outside of the top 20 QB prospects to being inside the top 3 just by throwing the ball really really far in non-game situations. I repeat. In NON-GAME situations, Joe Flacco looks pretty good. Look, maybe if you give this kid a good QB coach and 2 years to learn and practice then he will be good. But thanks to the NFL combine hype machine, you now have a bone fide 3rd round QB(if you take skill into account) that you picked at No. 18 over all. Have fun with your Kyle Boller part 2!
Herb wrote:
100% correct this article. A 1st. round pick from Delaware? Unheard of. And the way we got him! Move down, move up. Gotta be Unitas the 2nd.
Discodanford

Halethorpe, MD

#67 May 6, 2008
Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing could be further from the truth. I understand how hard it is to find a franchise QB, and I feel they should have drafted another QB in the later rounds just for that reason. I don't believe in the theory of drafting one QB in the first round and then feeling obligated to stand pat for 5-6 years because he was the 'chosen one'.
Good QB's are not good because of statistics, they are not good because of throwing motions or strength. They are good because of intellegence, leadership skills, ability to perform in the clutch, and ability to improvise combined with good physical skills.
It is very hard to tell if a QB will have those qualities when they reach the pro level. Once they get there though, it is not hard to tell if a QB has some of the more special qualities. Brodie Croyle is a great example. Dude has only played a handful of games and I would be shocked at this point, after seeing how pedestrian he is behind center, that he would turn out to be anything special. Can he be the guy behind center when the Chiefs get to the playoffs? Maybe, but he will never be the reason they win a playoff game- let alone get to the superbowl, which means the Chiefs are probably spinning their wheels when it comes to winning a championship.
I agree with you in that I don't like drafting QB's high. I also agree with you that what really makes a QB are the intangibles. But Romo and Warner have those intangibles and they weren't even drafted.

Where we differ is in how many chances or how long it takes for QB's to suddenly "see the light". Look at Sean Hill who suddenly after 6 years is in the picture to be a starter for the 49ers. I had forgotten he ever played for Maryland.

If you have a Brady or a Manning that's one thing but for everyone else there seems to be a whole laundry list of factors that go into a coaches decison and we don't always know what they are.

So I think Boller will get one more shot because the Ravens don't want to have another Derek Anderson happen and they have little to lose by seeing what Cameron can make of him. Frankly, I don't think it makes any differnce if its Boller or Smith. Their maximum upside is probably about the same. If Boller reaches his potential he will be a very good NFL QB and you can say the same for Smith. The Ravens know this and they drafted Flacco because he has a chance to be something those two likely will never be - a superstar.

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#68 May 6, 2008
Discodanford wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you in that I don't like drafting QB's high. I also agree with you that what really makes a QB are the intangibles. But Romo and Warner have those intangibles and they weren't even drafted.
Where we differ is in how many chances or how long it takes for QB's to suddenly "see the light". Look at Sean Hill who suddenly after 6 years is in the picture to be a starter for the 49ers. I had forgotten he ever played for Maryland.
If you have a Brady or a Manning that's one thing but for everyone else there seems to be a whole laundry list of factors that go into a coaches decison and we don't always know what they are.
So I think Boller will get one more shot because the Ravens don't want to have another Derek Anderson happen and they have little to lose by seeing what Cameron can make of him. Frankly, I don't think it makes any differnce if its Boller or Smith. Their maximum upside is probably about the same. If Boller reaches his potential he will be a very good NFL QB and you can say the same for Smith. The Ravens know this and they drafted Flacco because he has a chance to be something those two likely will never be - a superstar.
And even with Payton Manning, how many years did people say he choked in the big game? Same with Elway. Til they won Super Bowls.
daman

Pasadena, MD

#69 May 6, 2008
Why does everyone think Troy Smith has been so impressive? What has he done?

He hasn't done anything, he made a couple of decent throws and a couple of decent runs. How many int's did he throw? How many touchdowns? How many times has he thrown what should have been int's? How many times has he been sacked? I just don't understand why you all think he is so good. Just look at the balls he has thrown right to the defense, it was at least 8 passes last year that should have been easily picked off.

Baltimore, MD

#70 May 6, 2008
daman wrote:
He hasn't done anything, he made a couple of decent throws and a couple of decent runs. How many int's did he throw? How many touchdowns? How many times has he thrown what should have been int's? How many times has he been sacked? I just don't understand why you all think he is so good. Just look at the balls he has thrown right to the defense, it was at least 8 passes last year that should have been easily picked off.
1. He came in cold, with little if any work with the first team, to a decimated offense missing it's start TE, WRs, RB -- with an O-line that looked and performed like Swiss Cheese, with WRs who dropped passes thrown right to them, all the while keeping his cool, moving the team, and looking like he was more comfortable in 3 games than Kyle Boller did in 5 years.

2. I liked his quicker reads and releases.

3. I looked back on his wins in tough games in college and was impressed.

4. He won in the final game of the season against a tough division rival. And regardless of how many starters Pittsburgh played, we had more M.I.A. amongst the Ravens, so it more than evened out IMO.
Discodanford

Halethorpe, MD

#71 May 7, 2008
daman wrote:
daman,

Coach Harbaugh, perhaps the most important voice on this matter said something about the QB situation the other day. Let me attempt to translate:

" We think both Smith and Boller are good QB's. We believe they will do well in this new offense. However, we picked Flacco to be the franchise in the future, something we aren't sure Boller or Smith will ever be. So we won't be too concerned if Flacco doesn't start this year but maybe, if he plays up to his potential right away, he will start now. If he flames out, we will be okay for a while with Boller/Smith. Time will tell."

The Smith fans here want him to succeed mostly because he isn't Boller. Sometimes its that simple. To me they both are about equal so it really makes no difference but someone better play well.
larry g

Baltimore, MD

#72 May 7, 2008
Mark of Cooksville wrote:
I disagree. Billick MUST bare 100% of the QB failures over the last decade. It was Billick who:
- Billick who got rid of Dilfer
- It was Billick who brought in Grbec
- It was Billick who refused to remove Grbec and let Cunningham play.
-It was Billick who started Boller the 1st game of his first year.
- It was Billick who refused to remove an obviously hurt and ineffective McNair during the playoof game.
- It was Billick who continued to go with McNair during 2007 when everyone in football could see Mcnair had an issue with arm strength and accuracy do to some unknown injury.
Give me a break no that Billick is gone don't back peddle and try to cover yourself in case Flacco doesn't work out.
It was ALL BILLICK.
%100 correct
mike moran

United States

#73 May 7, 2008
Yes Billick is to blame for u guys sucking the past few years but let's be honest. Trent Dilfer was always horrible. Letting him go was a good move.
Winning Tradition

Richmond, VA

#74 May 7, 2008
people kill me swearing and jumping up and down that the O line ruined these BUM QB's on our team, NOT EVEN CLOSE, the QB's just sucked.

No one can explain how Mcnair learned the offense in less than a year and our O line had the LEAST amount of sacks in Ravens history.

and no there are no season long flukes in the NFL. It's obvious none of you idiots have any coaching experience or even general knowledge of sports whatsoever, bunch of armchair QB's.

you are entertaining though, if most of you aren't crying like little girls about who wrote the article, you come up with all sorts of other things to biiitch and moan about.
Mark of Cooksville

United States

#75 May 7, 2008
It is obvious that it is WINNING TRADITION that is the arm chair QB with no experience in coaching and by the sound of it playing.

No protection and the most simplistic offensive plan caused QB failure.

Remember Grbec he was suppose to be the next Baltimore QB. No QB could survive when everyone watching the game could tell what play was going to be next by the way the team line up. Except fort WINNING TRADIDTION of course.
Mark of Cooksville

United States

#76 May 7, 2008
mike moran wrote:
Yes Billick is to blame for u guys sucking the past few years but let's be honest. Trent Dilfer was always horrible. Letting him go was a good move.
No, I don't think so. Was he a GREAT QB of couse not, but he did not lose games for you, he was consistant and he took what the D gave. When you have a GREAT D than you can have a QB that will score you 20 points a game and win.
mike moran

United States

#77 May 7, 2008
Nope, trent diler sucked. THey only truested him to throw 10 passes a game! His whole job was just to not mess up. That's it.
Mark of Cooksville

United States

#78 May 7, 2008
your right, that fact is he did not mess up and they won the super bowl.
couldn't have sucked that bad now could he.
mike moran

United States

#79 May 7, 2008
YES YES YES. He friggin sucked so hard dude. A high school QB could have done what he did. Deal with it.

Baltimore, MD

#80 May 7, 2008
mike moran wrote:
YES YES YES. He friggin sucked so hard dude. A high school QB could have done what he did. Deal with it.
Shouldn't your name really be Mike Moron?

Just askin...
Mark of Cooksville

United States

#81 May 7, 2008
skaybaltimore wrote:
<quoted text>Shouldn't your name really be Mike Moron?
Just askin...
Good one I like it " Mike Moron"
Ali V

Raleigh, NC

#82 May 9, 2008
based on what he said, he is definitely a MORON!! That ain't hard 2 tell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steve McNair Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) May '13 Ashley 6
News NFL notebook: Fisher won't be back with Titans ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Go Blue 4
News Donovan McNabb Goes to Washington (Apr '10) Apr '10 Paulette 1
News Ravens Vs. Bengals: Keys to a Ravens Victory (Nov '09) Nov '09 OuchOStinko 1
News King's Island Removes Display of Dead Celebriti... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Floon Buster 7
News Nair's Estate in Turmoil (Jul '09) Aug '09 MELROSE 4
News Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Valarie 7
More from around the web