With Harbaugh, teamwork reigns

With Harbaugh, teamwork reigns

There are 11 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from May 10, 2008, titled With Harbaugh, teamwork reigns. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Earlier this year, cornerback Samari Rolle was shocked when he went to his locker.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Bob

Washington, DC

#1 May 10, 2008
I know it's early but i like what i am hearing about coach harbaugh. He seems to trat everybody the same no matter if your a 10 veteran star or a rookie. I think that is the way it's suppose to be. I think you will see a team that plays very hard for him. Camp billick will be a thing of the past and i know this team will be in a lot better shape then teams before.
GWB

Glen Burnie, MD

#2 May 10, 2008
Who's Billick?
Long John

Towson, MD

#3 May 10, 2008
sounds like Ray's opening dance is history too
thevoice

Hedgesville, WV

#4 May 10, 2008
GWB wrote:
Who's Billick?
the man who helped turn the Ravens into a winning franchise. also the winningest coach in Baltimore football history.
GWB

Glen Burnie, MD

#7 May 10, 2008
Isn't he also the guy who made the ravens look bad last season with his inability to manage the clock, develop a QB since he became head coach, and was so full of arrogance, that he didn't believe he would be fired at the end of the season? Glad that he is gone.
What

Roselle, NJ

#8 May 10, 2008
It just refreshing to see a coach that is excited about what he has been given. Billick was Billick and I appreciate what he did accomplish.

I have no doubt that this team will benefit from the changes. It will be a pleasure to see or should I say the absence of the Player Dance Routines. When you play as a team, a great individual effort requires no special self promoting show.

This format will only result in creating consistant efforts.
Fells Point Craig

Curtis Bay, MD

#9 May 10, 2008
Can Harbaugh run for mayor...better yet governor? A sence of accountability!!! Something the team needed....and our city and state need!!!

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#10 May 10, 2008
And while it's all well and good, for Harbaugh to say that JO's absence isn't really an absence because of x,y,z factor shows that even the best-intended plans sometimes fall a bit short.

Having said that, coach Harbaugh has a tough road ahead of him, given the laxity of the past 9 years. I sincerely wish him all the success in the world getting this team back on track.
Ravens_Flock

Chico, CA

#11 May 10, 2008
GWB wrote:
Isn't he also the guy who made the ravens look bad last season with his inability to manage the clock, develop a QB since he became head coach, and was so full of arrogance, that he didn't believe he would be fired at the end of the season? Glad that he is gone.
No actually, he didn't believe he would be fired because the Ravens had just given him a new 4 year contract, and because Steve had given him personal confirmation that he would NOT be fired. That's not arrogance, that's trust.

Don't get me wrong, I love John Harbaugh's energy and enthusiasm for the game. I was afraid we were going to get a new HC that I really wouldn't like. That is not the case with JH, he's a solid character, and I believe that it might just be good for the team.

Having said that, we all know the "fan" culture surrounding the Ravens. When the team is doing great, the coach gets no credit. And when the team is doing bad, it's all his fault. That's a horrible double standard. And it's really no different for players. Look at Heap. In seasons when he's been healthy, which is all but TWO, Ravens fans are rather fond of making the claim that he's one of the top TEs in the league, which I certainly wouldn't argue. But in a season like 2004, or now 2007, when he DID miss a lot of time due to injury, suddenly he's "lazy", or "soft", or he just doesn't care about the team. Which is a bunch of BS. As I said, double standard.

I embrace Coach Harbaugh, and like a lot of these changes he's making. But that doesn't mean that Billick was a BAD coach, because he wasn't. He may well have "lost" some of the players along the way, but we'll never really know how much of that was actually his fault. He learned his "soft camps" and "treating players like men" mottos from none other than Bill Walsh, after all.
Brian

Severna Park, MD

#12 May 11, 2008
I think this is definitely a step in the right direction. After Billick Success with the SB win I couldn't argue with his philosophy but watching the how the players have acted over past few years its obvious that changes needed to be made. Maybe Reed will finally stop trying to lateral the ball after he makes an INT.

Since: Feb 08

Perry Point, MD

#13 May 11, 2008
skaybaltimore wrote:
And while it's all well and good, for Harbaugh to say that JO's absence isn't really an absence because of x,y,z factor shows that even the best-intended plans sometimes fall a bit short.
Having said that, coach Harbaugh has a tough road ahead of him, given the laxity of the past 9 years. I sincerely wish him all the success in the world getting this team back on track.
How he handles the QB log jam will be more than enough to get a bead on how he handles everything else:
Chooses Boller hands down- very conservative and close to the vest reguardless of statements.
Chooses Smith for now- Has an open mind and sees the need to flush the past away- yet not quite ready to open the barn doors completely.
Chooses Flacco out of the gate or early in the season- Is a true realist who knows he needs to see what kind of hand he's gonna have right away so that if there are problems into yr. 2, he may have to be looking elsewhere by year 3.
All of that will be similar to how he deals with othe pos., players, and strategy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steve McNair Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) May '13 Ashley 6
News NFL notebook: Fisher won't be back with Titans ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Go Blue 4
News Donovan McNabb Goes to Washington (Apr '10) Apr '10 Paulette 1
News Ravens Vs. Bengals: Keys to a Ravens Victory (Nov '09) Nov '09 OuchOStinko 1
News King's Island Removes Display of Dead Celebriti... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Floon Buster 7
News Nair's Estate in Turmoil (Jul '09) Aug '09 MELROSE 4
News Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Valarie 7
More from around the web