Harbaugh's tough love embraced

Full story: Baltimore Sun

In his first meeting of training camp, new Ravens coach John Harbaugh and the rest of his staff wore T-shirts with the famous black-and-white still frame of Muhammad Ali standing over a fallen Sonny Liston .
Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Sep 22, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Scott G

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

As much as I was a BB supporter, sometimes change is needed. How many times do you see a soft practice coach replaced by a hard nosed coach, and vice-versa,. It shakes things up. There is a lot of talent on this team still. A win this weekend and next, could really set them up nicely. 3 Division games. Get 3 wins out the gate over 3 division opponents, sets them up really nice.
Mike B

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Go Harbaugh, I think you were the right choice at the right time!!!
Rich

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Hats off to Biscutti and Ozzie. For the 1st time in Ravens history they look like a real NFL team. Harbaugh's brought to this team hard nosed football, character, and some real dignity. I looking forward to 4pm today. Go Ravens!
Ulmstead1

Severna Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Harbaugh is cause for great optimism. This team has always had some top talent, but they often underperformed! I have no doubt that JH would bench any star that odesn't show up ready to play. In fact look at what happened when McClain showed up at camp out of shape, in comes Lorenzo Neal. McClain had a great day two weeks ago, he really challenged himself. He'll be taking his coach very seriously for the rest of his career here. The other player, i.e. Willis McGahee, saw that too. Good for Harbaugh, good for the team, really good for us fans!!
gwb

Glen Burnie, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

brian who?

Since: Aug 07

Hampstead, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Well, let's not be fellating one another just yet, but it sounds promising.

I felt during training camp that the injuries endured at that time would pay off in the regular season - kind of a survival of the fittest sort of thing - and that seems to be the case, at least so far.

But the best thing Harbaugh has done is to have created one clubhouse of Ravens players instead of two consisting of Ray & Co. and all the rest. And it's great to see that Ray has bought into it.
iNOTaFAN

Mentor, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Prediction:
cleveland browns - 0
baltimore browns - 2
Lenscrafters

Halethorpe, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Fang Guy wrote:
But the best thing Harbaugh has done is to have created one clubhouse of Ravens players instead of two consisting of Ray & Co. and all the rest. And it's great to see that Ray has bought into it.
Did Harbaugh create that or did that happen naturally because most of Ray & Co., and Ray himself, are getting older, weaker and less influential? Ray has maybe a year or two left and Ed Reed could be done at any time.

Maybe those guys finally realize they can't do it all by themselves anymore.

and weaker
OSalley

Catonsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Love Harbaugh-and for you Ozzie bashers remember that Oz liked Harbaugh and Bisciotti fell in love with Jason Garrett.

We were just blessed that someone dumber than Bisciotti named Jerry Jones threw all that money at Garrett.

Thanks Oz.....really these punks who bash you don't know how tough you have it. Bisciotti needs to stay back, way back...
McLovin

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

iNOTaFAN wrote:
Prediction:
cleveland browns - 0
baltimore browns - 2
that would be great if we shut them out. I like your optimism.
Just the Facts

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

All readers please come back to this article when the season ends with the Ravens 5-11 and see what the whining cry babies like Ray Lewis do to Harbaugh then.
Just the Facts

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

OSalley wrote:
Love Harbaugh-and for you Ozzie bashers remember that Oz liked Harbaugh and Bisciotti fell in love with Jason Garrett.
We were just blessed that someone dumber than Bisciotti named Jerry Jones threw all that money at Garrett.
Thanks Oz.....really these punks who bash you don't know how tough you have it. Bisciotti needs to stay back, way back...
It's been one game; one single stinking game. My advice is to all the purple kool aid drinkers is please don't go shining up the Super Bowl trophy.
GHT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

his approach isn't anything new. What did you expect him to say with the all occurences? There are many hard nosed coaches, we just haven't had the luxury of being in the presence of one for so long.
OSalley

Catonsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Just the Facts wrote:
All readers please come back to this article when the season ends with the Ravens 5-11 and see what the whining cry babies like Ray Lewis do to Harbaugh then.
Loser. Move back to DC
Sparky

Towson, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

How could this story possibly be written without any mention that Bisciotti and Cass begged Jason Garrett to take the job? If Harbaugh does end up being a winning coach, it will be no thanks to "Mr. Tan Man" and his attorney sidekick.
Marcus

Henniker, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

I was surprised when Harbaugh was hired, I had no idea who he was or what kind of coach he was, but I'm glad the Ravens hired him, he's an energetic guy and I love his attitude. There were some great years with Billick but a change was needed and I think this is the right guy.
Donta

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

John Harbaugh looks like he will be a very good head coach I know that It Is easy to forget but Billick was 80-64,2 divison titles,and a super bowl ring so PLEASE he was not crap as the head coach even If the o was crap winning and losing Is all that matters. Lets move on Billick has moved on with his life you fans need to as well. Lets go coach Harbaugh and Go Ravens lets see where this season ends up.
Donta

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Also Ozzie Newsome and the football staff had a major say In the Harbaugh hire the owner wanted Jason Garrett so give the credit to who It belongs too.
NV Dizz

Bowie, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Good coach has to have the will to fight and the mind to persuade and lead trouble makers. Harbaugh will be a good fit for the old veteran superstars with earthly egos which Billick often have overlooked. Excellent job Harbaugh. Keep kicking and players will respond.
Phil

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Rich wrote:
Hats off to Biscutti and Ozzie. For the 1st time in Ravens history they look like a real NFL team. Harbaugh's brought to this team hard nosed football, character, and some real dignity. I looking forward to 4pm today. Go Ravens!
My wife came out of the our 2nd Raven home game, and we both had the same feeling. There is something really different about this team, something I have never witnessed. In the past, even with the Ravens winning, they would always find ways to keep it close, either through a weak zone, poor clock management, play calling, etc. However, with this team, one really believes that this team can be a winner, and there is a confidence that is building internally and externally. Obvioulsy, I'm not christening the Ravens as the team to beat, but they have some really good pieces in place, good coaching, play calling, defense, hard-running game, and fine QB, that portend the possibility of great things to come.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Steve McNair Discussions

Search the Steve McNair Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) May '13 Ashley 6
NFL notebook: Fisher won't be back with Titans ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Go Blue 4
Donovan McNabb Goes to Washington (Apr '10) Apr '10 Paulette 1
Ravens Vs. Bengals: Keys to a Ravens Victory (Nov '09) Nov '09 OuchOStinko 1
King's Island Removes Display of Dead Celebriti... (Sep '09) Sep '09 Floon Buster 7
Nair's Estate in Turmoil (Jul '09) Aug '09 MELROSE 4
Half Of Steve McNair's Estate Could Be Taxed - ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Valarie 7
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••