Bears could use a quarterback search firm

There are 236 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 21, 2009, titled Bears could use a quarterback search firm. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

I want to make sure I quote Bears general manager Jerry Angelo accurately here. "We have to get that position right," he said recently, referring to the quarterback spot.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Bears fan in WI

Ladysmith, WI

#1 Jan 21, 2009
Nicely said but we all know that Angelo will go to the same dumpster that he picked our WR's out of last year. Instead of paying a proven player he'd like to pick out of the players that nobody wanted.... Cheaper....
rfr

Frisco, TX

#2 Jan 21, 2009
The bears would not have put the right players around warner and he would have failed. I do not believe the Bears will do anything right as long as you have the coach and GM in place. Get rid of both alomg with the Tampa 2 defense and start the rebuilding process. You can tell the value of your coaching staff by jobs offers from other teams. I rest my case.
Da Bearss

United States

#3 Jan 21, 2009
Nice 20/20 hindsight, Rick. Warner was washed in '04 and Rex was still all that. No one (including you) knew how Rex or Warner would turn out, but you have no problem bashing Angelo after the fact. Why don't you become a GM, seeing that you can see the future and all.
True

Aurora, IL

#4 Jan 21, 2009
Warner was a temp for the Giants after they drafted Eli and if Warner was so great why did the Cardinals draft Leinert. Rex was a star the first six games of the 05' but fell off the face of the earth. Warner is a nice passer with protection blitz the s*** out of him like Blitzburgh is going to do and he'll crumble. I'm not sure he is HOF material even if he wins. He's only had two-three great seasons the rest is flub.
Bleed Orange and Blue

Willow Springs, IL

#5 Jan 21, 2009
Rick,
Awesome article !
Rich W

Sun Prairie, WI

#6 Jan 21, 2009
It was the Rex is our QB that was my problem not Rex's play. When he got hurt it left us without a QB. The second coming of the Rex is our QB was the trading Jones to the Jets because Benson is our running back.
Two first round picks that Angelo made sure would not be challenged or earn their spot on the team. As a fan I have to ask how much did this hurt my Bears?

Angelo is the first problem and not fixing that nothing will get fixed.

Since: Oct 08

Merrimac, WI

#7 Jan 21, 2009
Tampa 2! after Dungy left Tampa the new coach won the Super Bowl! Why because the coach was the kind we need in Chi-Town, Loud and out spoken with his players, In other words he was a Prickley! get it, So lets move on and impeach Lovie and Angelo and we'll be fine! Orton would be great if he had someone breathing down his neck all the time not just saying your our Guy! we all know that he can play the game well so lets get him A WR to complement Hester on the other side then this team will work out Just fine!!
johnnyboy

United States

#8 Jan 21, 2009
The Angelo talk about finding "the
quarterback" seems like an end around play to me.He put the majority of
money into the defence that failed
badly.So now he says let's make it
look like Orton's fault.I hope he
watched our new president and picked up the word "ACOUNTABILITY"
Jon Thomas

Lombard, IL

#9 Jan 21, 2009
I'm an older reader.With the possible exception of Jim McMahon, Bears haven't had a really good quarterback since Sid Luckman in the 10940's. Is this their destiny?
Bobby Douglas

Spring Hill, TN

#10 Jan 21, 2009
Jon Thomas wrote:
I'm an older reader.With the possible exception of Jim McMahon, Bears haven't had a really good quarterback since Sid Luckman in the 10940's. Is this their destiny?
I agree. The real issue is why haven't the Bears had a really good quarterback in 60 years? If it were not for the defense of the '85 Bears, even McMahon would not look very well.
Hurricane Ditka

Midlothian, VA

#11 Jan 21, 2009
Keep throwing your money at a greedy bunch of losers Bears fans. I'll be at the UC watching the Blackhawks - who by the way, recently learned a lesson in turning around years of dictatorship and ancient management theory. Sports is an entertainment product and your money talks. Like dealing with a troubled teen - tough love works. Same goes for you Cubs fans.
PhillyCheese

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Jan 21, 2009
Yeah Rick, except Kurt Warner rises at crunch time and McNabb disappears. Better rethink that one, my friend.
AEM

Hinsdale, IL

#13 Jan 21, 2009
If Warner had signed here he would be out of football and not preparing for the Superbowl, Angelo did him a favor, the Bears would not have signed anybody for him to throw the ball to and out O-Line would have gotten him tot he IR and retirement. Warner should give Angelo a cut of his Superbowl Check.
John

United States

#14 Jan 21, 2009
Why is Angelo hiring a consultant to do his job? I wish my employer would let me do that.
Harry Paratestes

Chicago, IL

#15 Jan 21, 2009
Angelo is nothing more than a high grade douche bag
Patrick

United States

#16 Jan 21, 2009
Da Bearss wrote:
Nice 20/20 hindsight, Rick. Warner was washed in '04 and Rex was still all that. No one (including you) knew how Rex or Warner would turn out, but you have no problem bashing Angelo after the fact. Why don't you become a GM, seeing that you can see the future and all.
Rick criticizes Angelo for telling Warner he had no opportunity to compete for a starting job. I think any reasonable person would question why a GM is eliminating competition for a position. Angelo gets paid a lot of money to make correct personnel decisions and he has failed miserably with the QB.
Tom

Louisville, OH

#17 Jan 21, 2009
There isn't one top NFL quarterback that doesn't have one or more top receivers. The Bears never spend money or draft picks on top receivers and their offense shows it. Orton is fine, give him some help.
Bruno

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Jan 21, 2009
A quarterback is only as good as his Offensive Line and the players around him.Jim McMahon was an average quarterback but had a great defense and OLine.He also had decent receivers and Walter Payton in the backfield.Curt Warner is no better than Orton or Grossman.He's just played for organizations that recognized that the quarterback is only part of the equation.He doesn't have to be a superstar;a decent arm,accuracy and a level head can create the appearance of greatness when surrounded by good players on offense and defense.The Bears spent a fortune last offseason on several overrated defensive players but did absolutely nothing(i.e. Marty Booker)to improve the offense or the offensive line.The expectation should have been no better than an 8-8 record.I think Orton is more than adequate to lead the Bears to a SuperBowl if you surround him with a balanced team of NFL caliber players.If the front office is unwilling to make this committment then it doesn't matter who lines up behind Center.
Dave in PA

Schaumburg, IL

#19 Jan 21, 2009
Signing Warner would NOT have ben a good idea. He has only had success indoors with great wideouts. Neither of which the Bears have.
florida bear

Saint Augustine, FL

#20 Jan 21, 2009
First of all,i`d fire that consulting team,that found Angelo!As far as Warner goes,they missed that one but so did everybody else,but his old team.Warner had hurt his hand prior to his visit to Hallas hall,if he really wanted chicago and knowing the revolving quarterback situation here,he could have come back!He didn`t the rest is history,anyway his wife would have BURNING the phone lines on TALK radio,if he wasn`t starting!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steve Breaston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chiefs vs. Saints Preseason Preview: TV Schedul... (Aug '13) Aug '13 fagar 1
News Man faces charges in school bus accident (Feb '13) Apr '13 james9785 6
News Kansas City Chiefs Can't Ignore Need At Wide Re... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News NFL Draft 2013: Where do the Kansas City Chiefs... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Joe 1
News 4 Best Free Agents for Andy Reid, Kansas City C... (Jan '13) Jan '13 badnews59 1
News Why The Kansas City Chiefs Are Also AFC Favorites (May '12) May '12 Peyote 2
News Palko somehow kept Chiefs in game until the ver... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Screech 7
More from around the web