Vikings to use consensus approach in ...

Vikings to use consensus approach in making personnel decisions

There are 34 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 4, 2011, titled Vikings to use consensus approach in making personnel decisions. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

After one of the most disappointing and disruptive seasons in franchise history, Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf preserved their beleaguered football department instead of razing it, delegating control of the 53-man roster to coach Leslie Frazier and Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Austin, MN

#1 Jan 4, 2011
Insert Mc Kinnie into right guard cuz' he is too slow for tackle and often gets burned by !
wayne

Boca Raton, FL

#2 Jan 4, 2011
.......Look at what the consensus approach brought you for the past 2 years.....even the players were at fault for participating in the "consensus".
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#3 Jan 4, 2011
Yes, lets keep the loser and just move him around so he can suck elsewhere.
Mark

United States

#4 Jan 4, 2011
I believe we choose...twelfth? There should still be many good players available at the twelfth pick. Wisconsin has a great offensive tackle available. Skol Vikings.
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#5 Jan 4, 2011
But in the case of the Vikings, they will waste the pick as usual because they have no clue.
linus

Evanston, IL

#6 Jan 4, 2011
"Spielman has led four drafts that yielded star players such as Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin while signing free agents Bernard Berrian, Madieu Williams and Jared Allen"

Peterson was no worse than the 3rd-best player in that draft, so taking him with the 7th pick required no expertise. I like Rice a lot, but he's had 3 poor/injury-plagued seasons and just 1 terrific year. Harvin is an exceptional talent, but his stats (66 catches, 829 yards, and 5 TDs per season) have yet to reflect that talent, and he still misses games because of migraines. Spielmen has also wasted more than a couple high picks on players who have been cut, demoted, or whose performances should probably lead to the unemployment line (e.g., Tyrell Johnson, Marcus McCauley, Asher Allen), and Berrian and Williams have played well below their contract numbers. So to summarize, Spielman's 4 drafts have netted one bona-fide star and two guys who might become stars if they can stay healthy, and he has hit on just 1 of 3 big-name free agents. The Vikings could do much better.
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#7 Jan 4, 2011
Spielman is a joke, no lie there.
linus

Evanston, IL

#8 Jan 4, 2011
Actually, the Vikings traded for Allen, so make that 0 of 2 big-name free agents.
Skolvikes

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jan 4, 2011
Good move, we need insurance against a nutcase like Childress messing up the team.
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#10 Jan 4, 2011
There is no insurance for the a Super Bowl as usual.
DD Austin

Brandon, MS

#11 Jan 4, 2011
With clueless childish childress gone - the only way will be up from here on out!
Go Vikings!!:)
DD Austin

Brandon, MS

#12 Jan 4, 2011
Viking Fan wrote:
But in the case of the Vikings, they will waste the pick as usual because they have no clue.
Why make yourself look like such a moron by posting with vikings fan on your name. You are a cheesehead! A dumb one at that. Shut up and post on your wisconSIN papers! You are a bonified nut-case!! ;-(
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#13 Jan 4, 2011
Up to no Super Bowl victory as usual.
trolls

Hugo, MN

#14 Jan 4, 2011
linus wrote:
"Spielman has led four drafts that yielded star players such as Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice and Percy Harvin while signing free agents Bernard Berrian, Madieu Williams and Jared Allen"
Peterson was no worse than the 3rd-best player in that draft, so taking him with the 7th pick required no expertise. I like Rice a lot, but he's had 3 poor/injury-plagued seasons and just 1 terrific year. Harvin is an exceptional talent, but his stats (66 catches, 829 yards, and 5 TDs per season) have yet to reflect that talent, and he still misses games because of migraines. Spielmen has also wasted more than a couple high picks on players who have been cut, demoted, or whose performances should probably lead to the unemployment line (e.g., Tyrell Johnson, Marcus McCauley, Asher Allen), and Berrian and Williams have played well below their contract numbers. So to summarize, Spielman's 4 drafts have netted one bona-fide star and two guys who might become stars if they can stay healthy, and he has hit on just 1 of 3 big-name free agents. The Vikings could do much better.
The only poit here I take exception to is Jared Allen. I think people get down on him because he seems to be a slow starter in seasons. But look at his career stats and tell me we aren't getting what we expected out of him. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/jared-all...
Frank W

Spartanburg, SC

#15 Jan 4, 2011
If there is any part of this team's setup that I disagree with, it's this shared "consensus" approach to building the team.

While I was no fan of Childress as a head coach, there's also no question that he and Speilman did a better job than their predecessors in drafting and building a roster. The last two drafts from the old regime (2004 and 2005) netted no players who lasted longer than their rookie contracts.

If Speilman and Frazier can add talent like Greenway, Griffin, Edwards, Peterson, Rice, and Harvin, then they'll be fine. If they can land (or perhaps develop) a QB who can play the position for the next decade, they'll have earned some job security.

But at the point of disagreement, someone needs to have the final say on things. This team does not have this in place right now, and that's not a good thing. Someone has to have the final say over the roster. I'd hate to get to draft day and try to figure it out then.
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#16 Jan 4, 2011
Because he is overrated?
Brett K

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jan 4, 2011
I wish the local press would quit overplaying the 18 free agents. There are only 5 or 6 that the Vikings will care about bringing back, and they will have a huge amount of money to sign them with (like the 16 million they were paying Favre.) I also hope they cut Berrian to free up additional cash. He's been stealing money each week for years.
Roster Moves

Champlin, MN

#18 Jan 4, 2011
Just don't sign Ben Leber. He is a back up player at best. I'm sick of watching him miss tackles or reads and end up in the wrong place. Get more speed at linebacker.
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#19 Jan 4, 2011
So with all the "free left over money" there should be no excuses for no Super Bowl. Not buying it.
linus

Evanston, IL

#20 Jan 4, 2011
Frank W wrote:
If Speilman and Frazier can add talent like Greenway, Griffin, Edwards, Peterson, Rice, and Harvin, then they'll be fine.
Unfortunately, Greenway, Griffin, and Edwards were drafted when Fran Foley was the "Personnel Director," before Spielman took his place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sidney Rice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Seahawks' Rice has torn ACL (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 10
News Seattle Seahawks Can Win Without Percy Harvin (Jul '13) Jul '13 Cook 1
News Seattle Seahawks: Tarvaris Jackson Will Beat Br... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 5
News Vikings' leading receiver Sidney Rice has hip s... (Aug '10) Jan '13 Mitch 28
News Seattle Seahawks WR Carousel Keeps Spinning wit... (Oct '12) Oct '12 charles 1
News 10 things to know for Tuesday (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ed Hochuloogie 4
News Irvin waits for his chance to shine for Seahawks (Aug '12) Aug '12 Anthony 1
More from around the web