Minnesota Vikings, Sidney Rice contra...

Minnesota Vikings, Sidney Rice contract talks heating up as team extends offer

There are 20 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 25, 2011, titled Minnesota Vikings, Sidney Rice contract talks heating up as team extends offer. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said on Thursday that the team plans to re-sign wide receiver Sidney Rice to a long-term deal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Cindy Rice

Duluth, MN

#1 Feb 25, 2011
Rice has had one year worth anything and it took a HOF QB having a career year to do so. Rarely has someone who has accomplished so little commanded so much attention... when healthy (and motivated) Rice is a solid #2 WR - here's hoping the Vikes aren't expecting him to be a #1 or pay him like a #1.

“Vikings Rock”

Since: Jun 08

Smallville, SD

#2 Feb 25, 2011
Cindy Rice wrote:
Rice has had one year worth anything and it took a HOF QB having a career year to do so. Rarely has someone who has accomplished so little commanded so much attention... when healthy (and motivated) Rice is a solid #2 WR - here's hoping the Vikes aren't expecting him to be a #1 or pay him like a #1.
..or you could say he had Tavarius Jackson for most of his first couple years and was a wasted talent. I'm not concerned about his talent, only his hip, and if the doctors say it is not going to be a lingering problem than get a deal done. At 24 he's very young and can become a true #1 with his size and athleticism. As far as motivation, I've never heard there was a problem with him not being motivated. Some question his decision to not get hip surgery until training camp, but that's only specualtion since everything I've read is that he was following medical advice and hoping it would heal on it's own.
its about that time

Rochester, MN

#3 Feb 25, 2011
Cindy Rice wrote:
You say Rice had only one year of serious production, & that's because of Favre. Well what would Jerry Rice's career have been if he didn't have Montana or Young? As a WR, you can have all the talent in the world, but if you have a below average QB who's not good at reading coverages, or throwing accurate passes, there's not much you can do. People said Moss' career was dead when he got shiped to Oakland, well what QB's did he have in Oakland? Look what happend when he teamed up w/ Tom Brady in NE. S. Rice was great w/ Favre cause Favre is a HOF QB who understands how to get the ball to his recievers, & like wise, Rice is a young talented WR w/ tons of upside who knows how to catch the ball, just don't team him up w/ a below average QB & expect great things to happen. Doesn't work like that.

Since: Jan 09

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Feb 25, 2011
over rated.
MinnesOOOOOOOOOt a

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Feb 25, 2011
They should definitely try to sign him. Sorry hes not a #2 guy. He can make amazing catches and is a #1 wr. However, he has yet to prove other than his one year wonder that he is a top WR in the league. If he wants what the top players in league want I say good riddance but I dont think hes that naive.

Also here's a crazy idea. Trade Adrian. He's best RB in league and current on pace for HOF but he has years on him and Vikings are not close to a Super Bowl. Time to rebuild, time to get tons of young talent. Yes call me crazy but RB life Span is what 5 years on average? sell now while his value is still hot.
Gully

Marshall, MN

#6 Feb 25, 2011
First off i agree any great wr needs a good qb, but i do not agree with trading the player that is holding up the entire team, adrian hasent had a bad yr yet, and look at emmit smith, he was putting up big numbers for a long time, of course he wasent as physical as adrian, but adrian is also more talented and hasent showed any sign of slowing down, you cant trade away the best running back, and one of the best players in the league
the real just another day

Hugo, MN

#7 Feb 25, 2011
In other news, C Jenkins, from the SUPER BOWL CHAMP PACKERS, is 99% sure he will not be back next year. Immediately, the trash dumpster, also known as the MN Vikings, began negotiations with his agent. Rumor is, $55 million over the next three years. After all, look how well the last several recycled garbage players from Green Bay have worked out for the expansion NFL team here in loserville....

Hugo, MN

#8 Feb 25, 2011
MinnesOOOOOOOOOta wrote:
They should definitely try to sign him. Sorry hes not a #2 guy. He can make amazing catches and is a #1 wr. However, he has yet to prove other than his one year wonder that he is a top WR in the league. If he wants what the top players in league want I say good riddance but I dont think hes that naive.
Also here's a crazy idea. Trade Adrian. He's best RB in league and current on pace for HOF but he has years on him and Vikings are not close to a Super Bowl. Time to rebuild, time to get tons of young talent. Yes call me crazy but RB life Span is what 5 years on average? sell now while his value is still hot.
I swear to god, you mudducks are soooooo dumb...
Justice

Rochester, MN

#9 Feb 25, 2011
Gully wrote:
First off i agree any great wr needs a good qb, but i do not agree with trading the player that is holding up the entire team, adrian hasent had a bad yr yet, and look at emmit smith, he was putting up big numbers for a long time, of course he wasent as physical as adrian, but adrian is also more talented and hasent showed any sign of slowing down, you cant trade away the best running back, and one of the best players in the league
I disagree with your assessment of AD. He is a good back but he is not holding up the team! Even with a HOF QB having a career season in 09 Peterson was pretty much a non-factor until the NFC Championship game. When he had his chance to shine and help get the team to the Super Bowl what did he do? He let the ball hit the turf 3 times which contributed greatly towards that loss! Great players play great in big games; AD did not! The Vikings are now in rebuilding mode and could use whatever draft picks they could obtain for him while he has value. Without a franchise QB this team will only win 5 or 6 games this season with or without AD! Might as well stock up on some picks now and hopefully use them for a future QB this year or next!

“any questions?”

Since: Jun 10

st.john's, newfoundland

#10 Feb 25, 2011
sodakviking wrote:
<quoted text>
..or you could say he had Tavarius Jackson for most of his first couple years and was a wasted talent. I'm not concerned about his talent, only his hip, and if the doctors say it is not going to be a lingering problem than get a deal done. At 24 he's very young and can become a true #1 with his size and athleticism. As far as motivation, I've never heard there was a problem with him not being motivated. Some question his decision to not get hip surgery until training camp, but that's only specualtion since everything I've read is that he was following medical advice and hoping it would heal on it's own.
...now that is a very intelligent assessment and post...good call Soda...GO VIKES!!!

“any questions?”

st.john's, newfoundland

#11 Feb 25, 2011
the real just another day wrote:
<quoted text>
I swear to god, you mudducks are soooooo dumb...
...i swear to god...you are sooooo numb...GO VIKES!!!

Hugo, MN

#12 Feb 25, 2011
PurpleHaze1 wrote:
<quoted text>...i swear to god...you are sooooo numb...GO VIKES!!!
Gotcha.... mudduck

“any questions?”

st.john's, newfoundland

#13 Feb 25, 2011
the real just another day wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotcha.... mudduck
...even a blind squirrel gets a nut, once in awhile...GO VIKES!!!
thomazadams

Atlanta, GA

#14 Feb 25, 2011
"123 Get Samples" is promoting a new line of detergent, tooth paste, lotion etc by giving away free samples. It’s more of the “try it before buy it” marketing model and who can resist a free useful household product like detergent? This free sample is limited to one per household and only available while supplies last.

Since: Dec 10

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Feb 26, 2011
Good, Sidney is a great young talent. With him, Adrian Peterson, Chad Greenway, our core is there but we need a good quarterback for the future. Hopefully we can address this through the draft.

Ryan Mallett
Cam Newton
Blaine Glabbert
Jack Locker
Andy Dalton

Hopefully the Vikings make a choice or get the chance to select one.
max thrust

United States

#16 Feb 26, 2011
If they play at the University they might beat a few college teams-maybe.
JabberWocky

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Feb 26, 2011
How come I haven't seen anything written about the Vikes' need to shore up their offensive line? If McKinney and Hutch come back healthy, we'll be solid on the left side, but is John Sullivan really the longterm solution at center and has Anthony Herrera EVER opened a seam for Adrian? I don't think so.
Whatever

Las Vegas, NV

#18 Feb 26, 2011
I love how the Vikings are trying to stroke Cindy's fragile little ego after giving the franchise designation to Greenway instead.

Boy, we sure don't want a receiver who's had 1 healthy and productive year in his entire 4 year career getting all bent out of shape if the team doesn't bend over backwards and offer a big fat raise....

Whatever! This guy is a joke.

its about that time

Rochester, MN

#19 Feb 28, 2011
Wow Pioneer Press. You guys are about the only ones who are not reporting that Rice is going to test the free agent market before/if he resigns w/ the Vikes.
bakerquaker

Appleton, WI

#20 Feb 28, 2011
Surprised to see purplescuzz1 back on here. He was hiding his foolish opinions and posts after the mighty GB Packers won the SB. It's about time his salt-licking pal(qu)eer tracks shows up to take his medicine as well.

Remember, the most knowledgeable fans in the universe live here in Title Town, USA, and/or are Packer fans.

Incidentally, queens should just let Rice go. He's way over-rated and you can always pick up someone from the Packer's scrap heap. Our worst is better than your best!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sidney Rice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Seahawks' Rice has torn ACL (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 10
News Seattle Seahawks Can Win Without Percy Harvin (Jul '13) Jul '13 Cook 1
News Seattle Seahawks: Tarvaris Jackson Will Beat Br... (Jun '13) Jun '13 viking nation 5
News Seattle Seahawks WR Carousel Keeps Spinning wit... (Oct '12) Oct '12 charles 1
News 10 things to know for Tuesday (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ed Hochuloogie 4
News Irvin waits for his chance to shine for Seahawks (Aug '12) Aug '12 Anthony 1
News Seahawks sign Terrell Owens to 1-year contract (Aug '12) Aug '12 hatchet 6
More from around the web