NFL: What if 49ers, Raiders had made other calls?

Dec 19, 2008 Full story: The Honolulu Advertiser

The 49ers and Raiders did not get here, hip deep into another December of daze and doldrum, by accident.

Full Story
TexasRaider

United States

#1 Dec 19, 2008
Let's go back to 2004 when Rob Ryan first became defensive coordinator. Rob Ryan switched to a 3-4. What if we hadn't signed Warren Sapp? Without Sapp, I think Ryan would've stuck to the 3-4. The front seven would've been Ted Washington at nose, Tommy Kelly and Tyler Brayton on the ends. Linebackers are from left to right Sam Williams, Danny Clark, Napolean Harris, and Delawrence Grant.

2005: What if we hadn't traded Napolean Harris and #7 overall for Randy Moss? We could've drafted Shawn Merriman or Demarcus Ware and FA aquisition Derrick Burgess is the other OLB for a Front 7 of Brayton, T.Washington, Kelly, Ware/Merriman, Clark, Harris, Burgess. Offensively, Ronald Curry and Jerry Porter would be our WRs. Moss did not make the impact that he was expected to despite being our leading WR this year.

2006: What if we had drafted Jay Cutler instead of Michael Huff? We would have our QB on offense, but still might be stuck with Derrick Gibson at SS. Curry was our leading WR this year but this was also the year that Porter clashed with new HC Art Shell and Alvis Whitted became the starter. Defensively, Let's assume that T.Washington and either Harris or Clark was cut for cap space and we had still drafted Kirk Morrison in 05 and Tom Howard in 06. Our front 7 would be Brayton and Burgess on the ends and Kelly at nose. Ware/Merriman and Tom Howard would be the outside backers and Morrison and Clark/Harris would be the inside backers. With this in play, defese should be set so now we can focus on building offense.

2007: It's pretty much the same question as 2006. Had we done that then we would've had a good strong arm QB and our first round pick this year would've been without question WR Calvin Johnson.

2008: What if we had just committed to Fargas and Bush as our running backs? Fargas and Bush are running backs; they can run the ball well and pass block. McFadden does not seem like the player we all thought he was coming out of college. He reminds me of Charlie Garner; great pass receiver out of the backfield, but not a good runner when handed off to. I think I might've traded this pick for a later first round and a second round pick to somebody that needed a RB worse than us. Then use those picks to help build the OL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shaun Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NFL: Patterson shines, Vikings crush Rams Sep '14 Spielman 7
Claiming Case Keenum Is A Savvy Move By St. Lou... Sep '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
Lions' offensive line's worst nightmare: Viking... (Sep '12) Oct '12 Aromofart 2
More uproar about replacement officials (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ed Hochuloogie 7
Kellen Moore Shows Some Improvement In Lions' S... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Terry Appell 1
LinkedIn's IPO priced at $45 a share (May '11) May '11 Robert Gutierrez 1
Should the Lions Sign JaMarcus Russell? (Jun '10) Feb '11 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 15
More from around the web