Schedules not kind for 49ers, Raiders

Schedules not kind for 49ers, Raiders

There are 28 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Jul 24, 2008, titled Schedules not kind for 49ers, Raiders. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

As far as killing time around the office goes, nothing beats the NFL schedule debate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jeff McMaster

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jul 25, 2008
Tim, the Kwame Harris signing is only baffling to the reporters who don't do the leg work their job mandates before sitting down and writing an article. Harris was a turn-style in the way that the Raiders entire line was 2 years ago. He's a system fit type of player, and hasn't yet played in a system that uses his strengths. He's agile with quick feet and plays well in space. He's the type of tackle that flourishes in the zone blocking scheme, which is why Tom Cable worked so hard to get him on board in Oakland. Most of Russell's passing plays utilize movement, not 5 and 7 step drops, and most of that movement is away from Harris' side of the ball. If you want to speak of concern, your worry would have been better served in look at the Raiders right tackle spot.
*Just a thought, educating yourself can usually temper the tendency to be baffled by trivialities.
John H

Lexington, SC

#2 Jul 25, 2008
"Which makes the 49ers' future a shade brighter than the Raiders'. With Russell learning on the job, 8-8 is an absolute best-case scenario for Oakland. If Smith finally develops"

That it just plain absurd. Look, both teams clearly have their issues, but if any team is closer to making a turn for the better, it is clearly Oakland.
Alex Smith is clearly a bust. A great system college QB, with talent that does not translate to today's NFL. In 3 years he has done nothing, rarely throwing over 200 yards a game while tossing interceptions left and right with a QB rating hovering around 70. Hardly a bright future.
Willis is a nice talent and so is the once injury prone Gore, but the team is a train wreck with very few strengths and a lame duck coach who wears nice suits.
The Raiders on the other hand look like they are truly turning the corner. Their D will be stout, w/ strengths everywhere with the exception of maybe DT. They are a top 10 d threat for sure. On Offense, Dmac and Russell have tremendous upside, while players such as Miller and Walker will add stability. The O-line is not as bad as advertised and is a far cry from the horrid o-line from 2 years ago. The AFC West is also faltering. The Chiefs and Broncos are on the down turn and the Chargers only have about a 2 year window with their current team if LT stays healthy.
It is my opinion that Raider's fans have a lot to look forward to in the next few years. As for the Niner's fans, they can expect much of the same ineptitude that has made them one of the more unwatchable teams(along w/ Oakland) of the last 5 years.
mike moran

Boca Raton, FL

#3 Jul 25, 2008
Articulated very well. Keep the hits coming.
Jeff McMaster wrote:
Tim, the Kwame Harris signing is only baffling to the reporters who don't do the leg work their job mandates before sitting down and writing an article. Harris was a turn-style in the way that the Raiders entire line was 2 years ago. He's a system fit type of player, and hasn't yet played in a system that uses his strengths. He's agile with quick feet and plays well in space. He's the type of tackle that flourishes in the zone blocking scheme, which is why Tom Cable worked so hard to get him on board in Oakland. Most of Russell's passing plays utilize movement, not 5 and 7 step drops, and most of that movement is away from Harris' side of the ball. If you want to speak of concern, your worry would have been better served in look at the Raiders right tackle spot.
*Just a thought, educating yourself can usually temper the tendency to be baffled by trivialities.
cajunraider

Lafayette, LA

#4 Jul 25, 2008
I just have a few things to say about this article. It sucks and the writer is an idiot. The Raiders have an easy schedule. They should be 6-1,or 5-2 by week 7. I will not go into too much detail because if you know football you know this article is total garbage. Even if your not a Raider or Niner fan. The whole Raider portion is based on the fact that Kwame Harris is starting and Jamarcus is young. Lets not mention theRaiders have the best Corner tandem in the NFL and two of the best LB'S in the NFL,(Morrison and Howard. What about the running game? Ranked sixth overall last year with basically scrubs and castoffs at running back under Tom Cable. I might mention that was Tom's first year coaching the line. The line should see vast improvement in Tom's second year. With the addition of McFadden we should have the top ranked running game. Why did we want Kwame Harris? I will tell you, Tom coached Kwame at Stanford were he was an exceptional player with the zone blocking scheme. The same zone blocking scheme that tom is running now. I am not saying we are going to the superbowl but with all the talent on this team 8-8 will be the minimum amount of wins. I am expecting more. As for as Denver and KC they will be lucky to win one game against the Raiders this year. I could continue to pick this article apart in more detail but unfortunately I have to go to work.
Raider Nation!!!!!!!
Mike Moran

Boca Raton, FL

#5 Jul 25, 2008
Ya, we all agree, you really dont know much about the teams that you are writing for. You might wanna work on that dude.
JIM LI RAIDER

Little Ferry, NJ

#6 Jul 25, 2008
Really appreciate the optimism Tim, thanks.With that in mind just can't wait to see the Raiders prove you incorrect!
UK Steve

Uxbridge, UK

#7 Jul 25, 2008
Screw the media right, its the safe play as a writer to be negative and bash the Raiders purely based on their record over the last few seasons.
The Raiders have stunk the joint out for so long that even the most optomistic writer is cautious of predicting anything positive. If you were a sports writer (even a Raider fan sports writer) you wouldnt out loud predict 8-8 for the year without fear of losing some credibillity amoungst your readers and peers.
Totally understandable, but I only take notice of the articles that focus on how they are practicing and coming along from the local bay area writers.
All the specualtion on what type of season they'll have (although good fun as a discussion topic) is a little bit pie in the sky right now. No one will know until maybe the bye week and then study the 4 games played prior to that and see how they actully performed, not just the results.
Steve

Walnut Creek, CA

#8 Jul 25, 2008
What a waste of time. This is a terrible article. It all starts with the title. Schedule unkind? The Raiders actually have a favorable schedule this year. They may have won only 4 games but they played teams tough all year. I was at the Colts game where we almost beat them except for a 4th quarter Manning comeback drive.

I'll take Russell at his current level of development over Alex "crybaby" Smith any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Mike Holmgren coaching the niners? Keep dreaming. It's obvious your a biased 49er fan.
Raiderfan2

Alajuela, Costa Rica

#9 Jul 25, 2008
Dude, Young, developing QBs . Russell is, but Smith is an NFL bust. You don't have a clue about Russell. And one more thing, Football games are also won by controlling the clock by running the ball, Witch the raiders will do this year, Not just by putting McFadden in, but by using McFadden, Fargas and bush. As far as Schedules go, the raiders have one of the easiest in the NFL, and to say Miami fans are looking forward to playing the raiders, shows you don't know squat about football. Miami got beat down hard last year by the raiders running attack, and it's only going to be better this year.
RAIDER MISTERIO

AOL

#10 Jul 25, 2008
cajunraider wrote:
I just have a few things to say about this article. It sucks and the writer is an idiot. The Raiders have an easy schedule. They should be 6-1,or 5-2 by week 7. I will not go into too much detail because if you know football you know this article is total garbage. Even if your not a Raider or Niner fan. The whole Raider portion is based on the fact that Kwame Harris is starting and Jamarcus is young. Lets not mention theRaiders have the best Corner tandem in the NFL and two of the best LB'S in the NFL,(Morrison and Howard. What about the running game? Ranked sixth overall last year with basically scrubs and castoffs at running back under Tom Cable. I might mention that was Tom's first year coaching the line. The line should see vast improvement in Tom's second year. With the addition of McFadden we should have the top ranked running game. Why did we want Kwame Harris? I will tell you, Tom coached Kwame at Stanford were he was an exceptional player with the zone blocking scheme. The same zone blocking scheme that tom is running now. I am not saying we are going to the superbowl but with all the talent on this team 8-8 will be the minimum amount of wins. I am expecting more. As for as Denver and KC they will be lucky to win one game against the Raiders this year. I could continue to pick this article apart in more detail but unfortunately I have to go to work.
Raider Nation!!!!!!!
need i say more? you guys all covered everything well. RAIDERS 08!!!! F-TIM.
Mildog

AOL

#11 Jul 25, 2008
Your articles might be more impressive if you did the appropriate research. I am speaking spefically of JaMarcus Russell. He had a big setback in the beginning of his career with that contract holdout during training camp. He has worked hard to make up for that. His big setback during this off-season was his ballooning up to 300 pounds. Oh that's right. He never did get that big. My bad. That is what happens when you read a SI writer who does not have the professional accumen to do his research to verify this "growth" spurt. And then his spawning mignons gathering around the free buffet table for sports writers hear this tidbit dropped and it becomes a given. The stories that have come from covering the off-season at Raider headquarters indicate that he is at the facility lifting weights and getting into shape, watching film and working individually with his offensive coordinator and quarterback coach. His passes during the OTAs have been greatly praised. Hoefully this reporting has been accurate.
Raider Fateful

Clovis, CA

#12 Jul 25, 2008
Considering that Justin Fargas gained just over 1,000 yards last year behind an OL that was composed of most of the 2006 squad, I would say that the Raiders have probably the best chance at a turnaround this year. That's not to say that it could happen, but the chances are good. With a second year under the same coaches, this OL will be improved. McFadden's burst and speed will keep defenses from stacking 8 men in the box, which they did a lot last year. If you want to know how much a mediocre to mid-level QB can benefit from a good RB, just look at this list- Roethlisberger, Rivers, hell, even Alex Smith, before the Niners became a one-dimensional offense. These QB'S all have (or had) a 1,000 yd. rusher in their backfield. Defenses have to respect that running game, or risk getting slashed to pieces. Combine the trio of Fargas/McFadden/Bush along with Russell's deep ball ability, and you have the makings of an offense that will be able to move the ball on time-consuming, scoring drives- with the occasional heave downfield to keep defenses at bay. About the only positive I can see with the Niners is the fact that Martz was brought in as OC. I'm not sure that Isaac Bruce will be able to revitalize your offense alone. We shall see how things unfold, starting in 2 weeks.....and the Niners shall be the first witness. How fitting.
GO RAIDERS!!!!!
RIP Dan Birdwell

Gwynn Oak, MD

#13 Jul 25, 2008
Mr. Scott,

The is the easiest schedule the Raiders have had in several years, and the front end of it is the kindest. the Raiders beat Denver rather easily last year in Oakland (and almost beat them despite truly atrocious QB play in Denver). The Chiefs did not get better on offense, and they exchanged a dominant strongside end for a potentially dominant LDT but otherwise didn't do much on defense.

You are right that it would be hard for Kiffin to make it past the bye at 0-4. That such is a possibility barring injury to Jamarcus Russell seems highly unlikely. Moreover, for the same reason there are no guaranteed Ws there are on guaranteed Ls. This is not division I-AA vs. Division I, it's a 32 team league.

Still, criticism is much easier than many other things. Doesn't even take any real research.
UtahRaider

Montgomery, AL

#14 Jul 25, 2008
Just another hater!! Can't wait until the season starts to squash all of this Raider bashing. Raiders don't have a quarterback!?! Idiot! We should have had both games against the donkeys last year, as well as the chiefs! Now with some stability you think we will be worse! Come one. Stop putting the 49ers problems on the Raiders.
Maverick

Portland, OR

#15 Jul 25, 2008
What the heck kind of story was this supposed to be? Horrible? If so, then you hit your mark. Russell not a good QB? No.1 in the draft last year? Running game that will probably be in the top 5. I think that the only firing should be Tim, which is okay because he has to get off of his dad's computer and cut the grass anyway. Stick to wine reports .... Horrible.
Listen to this man

Hayward, CA

#16 Jul 25, 2008
Birdwell, SlvrBlkLoco here, great to see a comment from you, ever since all those worth reading don't post at the ContraCostaTimes forum anymore.

For another read possibly worth commenting on, check PressDemocrat, Real Raiders Still A Mystery- For Now
Chris

Pinole, CA

#17 Jul 25, 2008
Interesting take, although I would give J. Russell the benefit of the doubt for being at least a viable option, as he has shown promise in his limited regular season duty and off season work.

I couldn't agree more about the scheduling...there is no doubt that each team is looking at the raiders as a likely w. The schedule could definantly shake out to be a lot tougher than it looks, with the turnaround that is typical for the nfl.

Don't count out Kwame Harris just yet though, we have seen time and time again, that coaching can make all the world of a difference for a player and a teams fortune. And Harris has one of the best coaches in which to turn his season around in Tom Cable.
Dymond Jim

Westley, CA

#18 Jul 25, 2008
are you high???put down the crack pipe sir...the schedule favors the RAIDERS...the donkos,
and the queefs are on their way down...a loss to buffalo,and Miami???what are you basing that on...we destroyed the fish last year,if you recall,on the running game...the running game is much improved,and there is no Jason Taylor this year for the fish...you need to check yourself,and listen to what is going on...I hate HATERS who try to put the RAIDERS down,
cause we had a few bad years...hey Tim every team experiances losing seasons...if you look at the schedule,we have teams like the saints,falcons,ravens,jets,tex ans,and panthers who really are not that good...as for the donkos,queefs,we can easily sweep them...
I say we can get to 10-6...
KMA-IAORF !!!
IN NOMINE RAIDERNASS !!!
RAIDERDLW

United States

#19 Jul 25, 2008
Hey Tim, three words for you..... YOU'RE AN IDIOT!!!!
hawaiiR8dr

Pearl City, HI

#20 Jul 25, 2008
Tim, you knew you were asking for it when you post a biased article such as this!!??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shaun Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NFL | Browns: Coach Mike Pettine says no team '... (Oct '15) Nov '15 Sam Testicle 10
News NFL: Patterson shines, Vikings crush Rams (Sep '14) Sep '14 Spielman 7
News Claiming Case Keenum Is A Savvy Move By St. Lou... (Sep '14) Sep '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News Lions' offensive line's worst nightmare: Viking... (Sep '12) Oct '12 Aromofart 2
News More uproar about replacement officials (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ed Hochuloogie 7
News Kellen Moore Shows Some Improvement In Lions' S... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Terry Appell 1
News LinkedIn's IPO priced at $45 a share (May '11) May '11 Robert Gutierrez 1
More from around the web