Holmes' TD with :35 left makes Steelers champs

Full story: Newsday 61
The Iron City has its six pack of Lombardis. In front of a crowd of mostly Steelers fans - just about all of them waving black and gold Terrible Towels, turning Raymond James Stadium into a Florida version of ... Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Y I hate the media

East Northport, NY

#1 Feb 2, 2009
First off all, the media tells us that the Steelers have won 6 Super Bowl titles, making them the most succesfull franchise in NFL history. Never mind that the NFL existed many years before the Super Bowl, so therefore they compeletly forget about the Packers, Bears, and Giants Championships from 1926 until 1966. I heard one clown say, "well there wasn't a Super Bowl then so you can't really compare those championships."
Tell that to a Yankee fan that all of those championships don't count because they were played before the advent of division play, interleague play, the DH, etc. They would have a fit.
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#2 Feb 2, 2009
First of all baseball hasn't changed to the extent football has over the years. There has been a WS winner since the early 1900's. Football on the other hand has evolved much slower and now teams are judged by Super Bowl wins. I agree with the media that the Steelers have been a model NFL franchise and it shows with the 6 SB trophies. I also agree with Bob Costas who said they are the class organization in all of sports.
Y I hate the media wrote:
First off all, the media tells us that the Steelers have won 6 Super Bowl titles, making them the most succesfull franchise in NFL history. Never mind that the NFL existed many years before the Super Bowl, so therefore they compeletly forget about the Packers, Bears, and Giants Championships from 1926 until 1966. I heard one clown say, "well there wasn't a Super Bowl then so you can't really compare those championships."
Tell that to a Yankee fan that all of those championships don't count because they were played before the advent of division play, interleague play, the DH, etc. They would have a fit.
Y I hate the media

East Northport, NY

#3 Feb 2, 2009
Will wrote:
First of all baseball hasn't changed to the extent football has over the years. There has been a WS winner since the early 1900's. Football on the other hand has evolved much slower and now teams are judged by Super Bowl wins. I agree with the media that the Steelers have been a model NFL franchise and it shows with the 6 SB trophies. I also agree with Bob Costas who said they are the class organization in all of sports. <quoted text>
Baseball has changed plenty since 1900. The first thing is free agency. The live ball, the DH, inter-league play, wild cards, divisional playoffs, Black players and Hispanics weren't allowed to play until 1947.
Let me ask you, how many of the players on the Steelers have played on all 6 Super Bowl Championships?
If you are about 18-25 years old, you buy into the media's nonsense.
STEELERS CHEAT

Pearl River, NY

#4 Feb 2, 2009
Why wasn't there a replay of Warner's incomplete pass incorrectly ruled a fumble by the refs? All replays in the last 2 minutes are automatically reviewed by the replay official?

When the play was overturned as it should have been, ARIZ would have been given the ball on the 35 yd line due to penalty called on dopey, out of control PITT player.

Steelers will repeat as long as they keep paying off the refs.
Busey

Union City, NJ

#5 Feb 2, 2009
STEELERS CHEAT wrote:
Why wasn't there a replay of Warner's incomplete pass incorrectly ruled a fumble by the refs? All replays in the last 2 minutes are automatically reviewed by the replay official?
When the play was overturned as it should have been, ARIZ would have been given the ball on the 35 yd line due to penalty called on dopey, out of control PITT player.
The league claims they reviewed it...

which is funny since the Steelers got up and took a knee in a matter of seconds...

Those replay guys are QUICK!
jon derek

Elgin, IL

#6 Feb 2, 2009
What a game. Both teams should be proud!
Long Island Gal

Watertown, CT

#8 Feb 2, 2009
STEELERS CHEAT wrote:
That may be, but the Cardinal coaching blew it at the end of thefirst half. Should have had a run play and if not into end zone then kick a field goal and have a tie going into secong half. BLEW IT BIG TIME.
Busey

Union City, NJ

#9 Feb 2, 2009
GHT wrote:
<quoted text>you're right, it happened very fast. There was 2:03 left, whihc means it wasn't an automatic review, it had to be a red flag coaches challenge. I swear I heard a commentator say, "but there are no reviews left". Meaning Whisenhunt had no red flags left after using them. Anyone? It was NOT reviewed by upstairs, that didn't happen. With that said, it looked like a fumble anyway
how could there be 2:03 left?

It was the last play of the game... after Holmes scored with :35 secs left...

it was up to the refs and they blew it
Busey

Union City, NJ

#10 Feb 2, 2009
Long Island Gal wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be, but the Cardinal coaching blew it at the end of thefirst half. Should have had a run play and if not into end zone then kick a field goal and have a tie going into secong half. BLEW IT BIG TIME.
They were first and goal with like 30 secs left and you wanted them to play for 3?

ok.....you must be a Jet fan if you like that type of coaching
Blech

Orlando, FL

#11 Feb 2, 2009
After Goodell shoved his nonsense down our throats all season regarding using the ball as a prop in a n end zone celebration, why did the NFL not only decide not to penalize Holmes for doing it, but award him the MVP?
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#12 Feb 2, 2009
Blech wrote:
After Goodell shoved his nonsense down our throats all season regarding using the ball as a prop in a n end zone celebration, why did the NFL not only decide not to penalize Holmes for doing it, but award him the MVP?
It's not a penalty unless someone else jumps into the celebration.
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#13 Feb 2, 2009
Warner pulled the ball back to throw and had nothing in his hand when he went to throw because Woodley had caught his arm on the way back and the ball. That is a fumble and the refs got it right.
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
how could there be 2:03 left?
It was the last play of the game... after Holmes scored with :35 secs left...
it was up to the refs and they blew it
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#14 Feb 2, 2009
Check the rule, you are wrong, the ball never came forward it was already stripped. Game over Steelers win.. Want to blame someone how about the Card Defense for letting Steelers march down the field. With Heinz Ward hobbling, it was a no-brainer who Ben was going to... and they still couldn't stop them..
STEELERS CHEAT wrote:
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#15 Feb 2, 2009
Nice to see the Steelers fans finally waking up and enjoying this glorious new morning. So far the bitter little basement-weasels have been the only ones online.
What the fans want

Orlando, FL

#16 Feb 2, 2009
Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a penalty unless someone else jumps into the celebration.
Really? Is that what you're telling yourself? You're incorrect my friend.

"In 2006 the NFL, in an effort to cut down on celebrations, amended its rules to include an automatic 15 yard penalty against any player who leaves his feet or uses a prop. An exception is made for players doing a Lambeau Leap."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9345607
Wilpon

Hicksville, NY

#17 Feb 2, 2009
Steelers> Class of the NFL.
Jets fans, keep holding on to Broadway Joe memories.
WHO DEY WE DEY

Butler, PA

#18 Feb 2, 2009
STEELERS CHEAT wrote:
Go on... with 5 seconds left.. What happens next ? Wah,wah,wah...go watch golf.
WHO DEY WE DEY

Butler, PA

#19 Feb 2, 2009
Blech wrote:
It wasn't an overzealous act. C'mon...what's next ? Mike Tomlin yelled a curse word at the ref....? No... Heath Miller's shoe was untied ? lol
Busey

Melville, NY

#20 Feb 2, 2009
Will wrote:
Warner pulled the ball back to throw and had nothing in his hand when he went to throw because Woodley had caught his arm on the way back and the ball. That is a fumble and the refs got it right.<quoted text>
You must have been watching a different game...

the ball wound up about 5 yards in front of him.. Did Woodley do that too?
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#21 Feb 2, 2009
Watching the same game and yeah Woodley and Warner caused the ball to go five yards. It was not caused by Warner alone which negates the rule. Anyway there was 5 seconds left, if you think they would have scored, means nothing now.
Busey wrote:
<quoted text>
You must have been watching a different game...
the ball wound up about 5 yards in front of him.. Did Woodley do that too?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santonio Holmes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Despite a case of the drops, Jets confident in ... May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Hernandez charged in double-murder May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Pitt WR Santonio Holmes in denial (Mar '10) May '14 Frank Mills 4
Your Reaction to Michael Vick Joining the NY Je... Mar '14 Phoenix Ascended 4
Jets' Reed cuts into rookie's playing time (Nov '13) Nov '13 Streetrunner 1
Rex to Belichick: 'Not true!' Jets also pushed (Oct '13) Oct '13 Rexfeet 2
How a Football Team Falls Apart (Oct '13) Oct '13 Marion D 5
•••
•••

Santonio Holmes People Search