Dolphins' Brown carrying a lighter load

Dolphins' Brown carrying a lighter load

There are 76 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Oct 25, 2006, titled Dolphins' Brown carrying a lighter load. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

DAVIE Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown didn't try sugar-coating the answer when asked to evaluate his performance so far this season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#68 Oct 30, 2006
Welcome aboard. Honestly, the faster we get rid of Daunte the faster we will be going in the right direction.
Prolonging it a year, prolongs the solution a year. This team needs a quality QB.

When I listen to the radio or hear Saban say that Daunte is the QB of the future, it just turns my stomach.
You wonder how long this rhetoric will last. How long will it take for everyone to realize that Daunte is not the solution but the problem.

One can't have any real hope of a brighter future when we have the wrong guy at QB and our coach telling us he is the future.

You and I can sit here and talk about Brady Quinn and other QB's available all we want, but until the coach wants to talk about it, it's a moot point. He has to realize we need a change.

Living here all my life, the way that generally works is the guy continues to mess up, people call the radio shows in droves complaining and the media keeps him as the top subject.

Before you know it, Wayne catches wind of it, sees how bad it has and will continue to effect ticket sales and poof, problem gone!

I know enough about Daunte that I know we need to get to this part as soon as possible.

That's why I'm here. To escalate this all but certain scenario as quickly as possible.

If you are saying he is not healthy because of the sacks, fumbles and interceptions, I would tell you to look at his career numbers and they will show you he is on course with all of his previous years.

Doctors don't clear you to play without being recovered.
He would not play if he was not healthy.
And, I've seen him take hits to the knees and get right up. The guy is healthy he's just being the Daunte of 2005, 2002 and 2001. Those are the facts.

I also truly believe that this was a situation where you had a new coach to the NFL who knew nothing about Daunte other than what the common fan knows. Pro Bowl, big yards one year... It's evident he did very little research. I wonder if he even knows the stats I presented. He must know by now though, with him not even practicing Daunte and bringing in a 4th QB for tryouts, he must know now.

I don't think he knows what to do about it though. Daunte obviously has 0 trade value, so, does Saban cut him and look like a putz for taking him and giving up a 2nd round pick?(Another week and the Vikings would have cut Daunte and the Dolphins were the only ones interested in him)

Does Saban keep him around another year to only start 1-6 again and all but seal his own career?

Is he in his spa right now wondering why he left LSU?

If he's looking at it through a reality perspective, it's quite obvious. As with any business, you cut your losses. You took a big chance on a guy and he failed, no surprise by looking at his past. So you just move on.

If he's looking at it with a cocky perspective, he is determined to show the world that he took a guy and made him great. Bad decision!

The Nick Saban of 3 weeks ago, I would have predicted the latter scenario. With the more Humble Nick Saban, I am hopefull for the 1st.
Ex-Floridian

Columbus, OH

#69 Oct 31, 2006
Truth, I agree with most of what you said.

However, I don't believe the Vikes would have cut Culpepper a week later. Tennessee was also interested in C-pep. But Cpep had no interest in joining the Titans. The Ravens were also rumored to be interested, but had the good sense to wait to see if McNair would come available. He did.

So there were potential suitors, and the Vikes were going to trade him to some sucker. Uncle Nick ended up being that sucker.
marlboroman

United States

#70 Oct 31, 2006
The Raiders were interested in him too, but may have seen something at the last second to make them change their mind. If Daunte got lucky years before, maybe (I stress maybe!) he could work out. But here is something that makes me think otherwise: recent reports state that he is sore as Al Gore doing his "explosive movement" program. I'm with you, truth, about 50%. But I think the guy is clearly unhealthy. BUT!, if his knee is the problem, that doesn't explain poor decision making in the pocket- even when there isn't a pocket (thank you o-line). We haven't heard anything else about his shoulder ailment (if there ever was one). Truth, I think Saban is going to be the stubborn coach who will try to prove to the world that he was right. Only time will tell if it works out, but I'm beginning to see what you mean. You know what I think? I think they (Phins) are working on his reading skills of defensive schemes and all this injury stuff might be a smoke-screen. I mean, he's OBVIOUSLY not 100%, but it's getting blown out of proportion right now. They are going back to the chalk board and Saban's gonna ride this one until there is success, or until Saban gets fired.
marlboroman

United States

#71 Oct 31, 2006
Don't ya wish we could see what could have been if we brought in Dru Brees?
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#72 Oct 31, 2006
Ex-Floridian wrote:
Truth, I agree with most of what you said.
However, I don't believe the Vikes would have cut Culpepper a week later. Tennessee was also interested in C-pep. But Cpep had no interest in joining the Titans. The Ravens were also rumored to be interested, but had the good sense to wait to see if McNair would come available. He did.
So there were potential suitors, and the Vikes were going to trade him to some sucker. Uncle Nick ended up being that sucker.
This my friends is quoted from the Star Tribune (MN) right after the trade. This is how it really went down.

Key phrase: and in the end the Dolphins were his only serious suitor.

Culpepper struggled without Moss, throwing 12 interceptions and six touchdowns in seven games before tearing three ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 against Carolina. In December, he was charged with three misdemeanors in connection with an alleged sex party on Lake Minnetonka and has a court date here next week.

Even after such a tumultuous season, Culpepper sought raises in his contract three times since January. He skipped a planned meeting with Childress after one failed attempt, and the Vikings began gauging interest in his trade value after the third last month.

Discussions heated up last week after Culpepper reacted angrily to an e-mail he said the Vikings sent him, and in the end the Dolphins were his only serious suitor. The Dolphins executed the deal Tuesday morning only after exhausting their efforts to sign free agent Drew Brees. Miami released 2005 starting quarterback Gus Frerotte later in the day.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/306487.h...
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#73 Oct 31, 2006
marlboroman wrote:
The Raiders were interested in him too, but may have seen something at the last second to make them change their mind. If Daunte got lucky years before, maybe (I stress maybe!) he could work out. But here is something that makes me think otherwise: recent reports state that he is sore as Al Gore doing his "explosive movement" program. I'm with you, truth, about 50%. But I think the guy is clearly unhealthy. BUT!, if his knee is the problem, that doesn't explain poor decision making in the pocket- even when there isn't a pocket (thank you o-line). We haven't heard anything else about his shoulder ailment (if there ever was one). Truth, I think Saban is going to be the stubborn coach who will try to prove to the world that he was right. Only time will tell if it works out, but I'm beginning to see what you mean. You know what I think? I think they (Phins) are working on his reading skills of defensive schemes and all this injury stuff might be a smoke-screen. I mean, he's OBVIOUSLY not 100%, but it's getting blown out of proportion right now. They are going back to the chalk board and Saban's gonna ride this one until there is success, or until Saban gets fired.

A cocky man never learns a thing because he knows it all already.
A humble man learns and becomes better because he listens.

Saban might be becoming genuinely humble and for this I give him time. You can look at his total attitude change to illustrate this fact...

Saban believes the team can improve if it believes in who it is instead of what it's done. "In church on Sunday the guy said you're going to be a human being, that's about what you are. Who you are. It's going to be who I am and what I know that technically needs to get done to make this better. Not what we just did. Not a human ... doing ... what you did ... makes you ... have the value for yourself, what you believe in, what you are and how you do it."

Source:http://www.sun-sentinel .com/sports/columnists/sfl-spj oseph17oct17,0,2242446.column? coll=sfla-sports-col
Be warned. The writer could not wait to rip Saban.

The bottom line. The man is going to Church and seeking assistance. This proves anything but total cockiness by any means.
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#74 Oct 31, 2006
marlboroman wrote:
Don't ya wish we could see what could have been if we brought in Dru Brees?
I was pumped up when they announced Drew Brees was an option for us especially after what he did last year.
He's an intelligent QB and can read a defense.
I thought, It's about time, they are finally going to bring in a real QB.
I was devastated when they announced Daunte for all reasons mentioned before.
Even if you took Drew out of the equation, It was still a bad decison to bring in Daunte.
We would have been better off keeping Gus and drafting a QB.

What does..

Tom Brady,
Peyton Manning,
Ben Roethlisberger,
Carson Palmer,
John Elway,
Troy Aikmen,
Steve Young,
Joe Montanta

...have in common? Besides winning, they were all drafted by their team. Most have won more than one superbowl or are on their way there. You could throw Matt Hesselback in there as well being that Holmgren drafted him originally in Green Bay and brought him over to Seattle.

Key Point: Most of the long term successful teams have drafted their QB.

It's the overwhelming knowlede that we need a QB and relentless pursuit of a QB that will get "the one" here.

Daunte and his unwarranted salary needs to go!!

Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#76 Nov 1, 2006
Everyone wants to blame the line. How bout an apology to the line for blaming them in the 1st place.
21 Sacks in 4 games with Daunte.
5 sacks in 3 games with Joey.
Opponents Daunte played:
Houston, Pit, TN, Buffalo.
Opponents Joey played:
New England, Jets, Green Bay

Buffalo had 5 rookies start on defense, Houston and TN came in tied for last place on defense.

Receivers need time to gel with their QB and they have had 3 different QB's in the past year.

I might agree with the runner argument. The whole 1st round pick for a backup running back thing is kind of baffling. But, without a legitimate threat at QB, who know's how good or bad Ronnie really is?

One thing Drew Brees brought to the 3-13 New Orleans team was a winning attitude. They had Deuce last year and went 3-13. They added Brees this year and are 5-2 with some impressive wins headed in the right direction.

If you don't have a guy who is capable of moving you down the field, everyone looks bad and no one feels like they have a chance to win. This is true on offense and defense. The whole team revolves around the QB.
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#77 Nov 1, 2006
Here you go!

To Kuechenberg, the 1-6 record is reaping the fruits of offseason personnel decisions, the worst being the jettisoning of quarterback Gus Frerotte after the veteran led the Dolphins to six consecutive wins to finish 2005.

Coach Nick Saban not only failed to build on that momentum, Kuechenberg said, but also has failed to put the "W in `We' and the `T' in Team" and capped it off by "bringing in a scrambling quarterback [Daunte Culpepper] with his leg shot off."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spsaba...
BE LEEVEME

Zimmerman, MN

#78 Nov 2, 2006
The only that was holding C-peps knee together was skin. Thats bad and will never fully heal. Well I shouldn't say never but.....thats bad!
joey

Denver, CO

#79 Nov 2, 2006
Truth wrote:
Here you go!
To Kuechenberg, the 1-6 record is reaping the fruits of offseason personnel decisions, the worst being the jettisoning of quarterback Gus Frerotte after the veteran led the Dolphins to six consecutive wins to finish 2005.
Coach Nick Saban not only failed to build on that momentum, Kuechenberg said, but also has failed to put the "W in `We' and the `T' in Team" and capped it off by "bringing in a scrambling quarterback [Daunte Culpepper] with his leg shot off."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spsaba...
Not to mention hiring Mularkey as the OC. He's a severe downgrade from Linehan.
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#80 Nov 2, 2006
BE LEEVEME baby where you been? Tell us about 2001, 2002, 2003
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#81 Nov 2, 2006
DOLPHINS
Daunte could miss season Dolphins coach Nick Saban is considering whether to put Daunte Culpepper on the injured reserve list, ending the quarterback's year.

C.W. GRIFFIN/MIAMI HERALD STAFF
DOWN AND OUT: Daunte Culpepper absorbed many sacks early this season, several because he has not regained the mobility he had before his knee injury.Daunte Culpepper's continued soreness in his patellar tendon is increasingly worrisome to the Dolphins, so much so that the team is considering placing the quarterback on the injured reserve list.

Putting Culpepper on the injured reserve list would end his season.

''I don't have a date, but that's something you may consider at some point in time,'' coach Nick Saban said Thursday.``I don't want to shut that door until we feel like it's going to take the season to get it back.''

That time is not yet. But it is approaching.

Culpepper's status apparently has regressed from the time he rejoined a rehabilitation program for his surgically repaired right knee in early October. Saban has said the quarterback has battled ''adhesions'' in the knee and recently has been slowed by soreness in the patellar tendon.

Culpepper's game status has reflected the hurdles he has had trouble clearing. He served as the third quarterback against New England and New York the first two weeks in October, but was inactive for the Oct. 22 Green Bay game.

Culpepper has been all but excluded from doing football-related drills during practices the past two weeks, and missed at least a portion of practice the past two days. He is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game at Chicago, suggesting he will be inactive again.

''I actually thought last week when he did some stuff during the bye week he showed improvement and got better,'' Saban said.``Now is he 100 percent? No, I don't think so. Is he where he needs to be to go out and play? He's certainly trying to make progress toward that.''

Culpepper has declined a handful of interview requests the past two weeks, refusing to give any insight about his rehabilitation or his state of mind. But it is clear he is frustrated by his current status and desperately wants to play again before this season is over.

''It's a difficult process for anybody,'' Saban said.``The guy really wants to play. He's worked a long time in trying to get back, and he's continuing to do that. It's frustrating when you do have soreness that holds you up a little bit sometimes. But he's working through it and he's had a good attitude about it, and we're pleased with it so far.''

Regardless of Culpepper's desire to play, the Dolphins will not risk their long-term investment in their quarterback in exchange for playing a game or two in December.

''I think he and I both agree when he's healthy and 100 percent, we want him to play,'' Saban said.``The only issue we have is when is that going to be? Nobody knows for sure,'cause it's a process that is going to occur over time.

``He can't predict. I can't predict. I don't think a medical person can predict when can he move and go do the things that allow him to play like Daunte Culpepper plays so he can go back on the field and contribute. We're going to keep evaluating that on a day-to-day and week-to-week basis."
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#82 Nov 2, 2006
The above article is from http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/1...

This just might be the sign that Daunte will be gone by next year.
I think he is healthy or he would not be able to take direct hits to his knee. The way they sidelined him was a lie as well. They initially blamed the sidelining on a shoulder injury that did not happen the last week he played but 2 weeks previous. Since then, they have thrown many different excuses at us. This could be it. They even said on the news that this would free up a 3rd QB spot in which we could bring another QB in. From this point we can only hope that this is the case and their TOP PRIORITY is Drafting a QB or even 2.
BE LEEVEME

Zimmerman, MN

#83 Nov 2, 2006
Look man, I didn't wanna come off cocky and talk alot of jazz when a team is down an out. BE LEEVEME I know what it's like. But I saw your post and had to throw in my 2 cents you know. One other thing about C-pep is when Randy was still in Minn, C-pep was a totally different dude. His ego wasn't as noticable. Far as 2001 -02 I can tell you he played ok. Nothing great but ok. Hate to keep bringing Moss back in every thing I'm saying but if you ever watch games from than you'll see the man was always double or even triple teamed at least 70% of the time freeing up someone else. But here is the main thing people need to realize. Ever since C-pep came into the league he was trained to do one thing. And that one thing was to get Moss the ball no matter what. So this QB has always been trained to look deep or dump off to who he thaught was there most of the time resulting in another int. Oh man ....you want me to go on an on don't you? 2003 sucked, yeah 2004 was an exciting 8-8 season thanks to all the YAC yds Burelson, and the rb's gave on the heavily relied upon screen pass. This guy is garbage! Miami needs to build the o-line first whether through trades or free agency. You got rb who can hit the holes just fine plus the crazy pot smoking rb will be back making it a nice one two combo sorta like whats happening in new england. In my opinion trade C-pep and Ricky together for pics and have a ball come draft day exploring all options. Miami is one or two key moves away from putting an offense together. Chambers better be appreciated down there cuz dude is good just needs a run game to compliment him or open things up for him. gotta go....
Truth wrote:
BE LEEVEME baby where you been? Tell us about 2001, 2002, 2003
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#84 Nov 2, 2006
Listen, I'm here for the team. I am spending hours upon hours on here because I want better.
I KNOW Daunte is not the answer and I only cherish your insight in hopes of bringing others around.
You did not come off cocky and only shared your experience.
I just hope you keep sharing your experience.

How much different would things have been if Peyton Manning or Tom Brady were running the show in MN?
Would there be all of the excuses or are all the excuses a result of the QB?
With guys like Moss, Carter and Smith, how many championships would MN have if the QB was better?
Does Miami need to cut daunte and draft a qb or 2 or 3 until they get it right.
When you say this guy is garbage are you talking about Daunte?
Would it be fair to say that Daunte had 1 good year in 2004 and all of the other years he sucked?
Was the reason he only went 8-8 in his best statistical year, because of him or the defense?
Does Daunte bring more harm then good or more good then harm to any team he plays with?
Although everyone blamed the O line for Daunte's 21 sacks here, isn't it obvious now, after seeing Joey come in against better opponents and only get sacked 5 times, does this not or does it say that Daunte was the reason for so many sacks?
Does Daunte have a pattern of many sacks and turnovers over his career?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sammy Morris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The New England Patriots: The Best Offense in t... (Aug '09) Jan '11 Lucky 45
News Patriots' Taylor eager to return - Sentinel & E... (Nov '10) Nov '10 hii 1
News Patriots all smiles after blowout victory - Sen... (Oct '09) Oct '10 Patriots BeatdDow... 23
News Teammates defend Moss after his postgame remarks (Sep '10) Sep '10 Midnight Rambler 3
News Patriots RB Faulk out for year with knee injury (Sep '10) Sep '10 Bullfarts 2
News Teammates defend outspoken receiver (Sep '10) Sep '10 The Patriot 2
News Welker Back, Brady Shines In Patriots' 28-10 Win (Aug '10) Aug '10 Robbie 2
More from around the web