Saban refuses to name starting QB

Saban refuses to name starting QB

There are 31 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Oct 6, 2006, titled Saban refuses to name starting QB. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

DAVIE If the Dolphins sit Daunte Culpepper for Sunday's game at New England, it won't be because of the quarterback's performance during Friday's practice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wadcounty47

AOL

#1 Oct 6, 2006
I think its alittle to late to finally give in....goodness....This is a team game, and now culpeppers going to just hand over the reigns...please, whatever happened to creating something special, like with what the Florida Gators got going on in the sawmp....
With Chris Leak and Tebow....They both play i say...Culpepper and Harrington. Who care what the outside think, this is Miamis problem, nobody elses...Create something spectacular for good God.
does it matter

Hollywood, FL

#2 Oct 6, 2006
cullpepper is playing.. saban just said he came off of his best game? so why is this prolific leader of a coach throwing a monkey wrench in the mix? anyhow, joey sucks and has never done anything positive in his career... in pre-season all he did was throw off his back foot and float the ball..both QBs currently suck and so does our 0-line...but i still have to watch.. an evil addiction one may call it!
Nick

Hollywood, FL

#3 Oct 6, 2006
They minus well let Culpepper start. The way the O-line is blocking He won't survive the season any way. If Dolphins O-linemen had AK-47s and Hand Granades they still couldn't protect Culpepper. May GOD have mercy on his soul.
Rumble Fish 21

United States

#4 Oct 7, 2006
If saban is thinking about salvageing this season he needs this win and the win against the jerks.Otherwise it's all over and the season is a wash we cannot afford to lose either one of these division games this is big. All I care about is that we dont go in the toilet like every other year these guys need to fight for their lifes.I still have hope,all it takes is one good win to get turned around.
Nick Saban

Spartanburg, SC

#5 Oct 7, 2006
Alright! Alright! I am really going to have Ronnie Brown start at quarterback on Sunday!! It wasn't his fault on that 2-pt conversion play vs Houston, He through a nice pass.

It's the last thing New England will expect!!
jedco-online

Atlanta, GA

#7 Oct 7, 2006
Don't expect saban to start joey unless choke-pepper is totally incapacitated.

All I remeber from last year is when saban said he wasn't going to put the backup QB in to try and get a win (this was in the early part of the season) because if that didn't work what was he going to do then? saban is like barney fife with his one little bullet and he's afraid to use it. For what?? How much worse can things get??

Come on Barney let Joey have a couple of starts. Shoot your one bullet maybe things will improve - besides you still have cleo whom I think is the best of the 3 qbs based on the preseason.
Cal Wine

Tucson, AZ

#9 Oct 7, 2006
Put Joey in and see what he can do. What do we have to lose? We are putting ourselves out of the playoffs before we know what we can do. Joey is more mobile so the sack number will drop and from what I saw in pre-season he showed us all he is ready to show us the Joey we saw in college. I am surprised we have waited this long. I thought Saban was the man for the job but I began to question his ability as he watched the dismal play in the first 4 gsmes and did nothing to turn the tide. Let Joey play and see what he can do with the team WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE AT THIS POINT A 1-15 SEASON WITH A LEAGUE RECORD IN SACKS?
Hand of Stone

East Berlin, CT

#10 Oct 7, 2006
People, wake up, if the owner of the Dolphin's wants a championship caliber team, then he will quit jerking around with everything that is not wrong with the team, i.e., coaching, and the QB. Perfect the O Line, beef up the Defense, add a little more speed, or ship this franchise to Mississippi or Alabama.
H Wayne

United States

#11 Oct 7, 2006
I am paying Culpepper all this money. He will play regardless of how he feels. I pay him good, he's expected to play well. Or maybe If I give him a raise he will improve. The more I pay, the better my players become. Joey sucks because I don't pay him enough.
Dan

Richmond Hill, Canada

#12 Oct 7, 2006
No matter who they have at starting QB, they need to run the ball a lot more
Excuse to bench Pepper

Albany, NY

#13 Oct 7, 2006
Sorry to say, but Culpepper has to sit, or Miami's whole season will be lost. To save face, they have come up with this bogus 'injury', which will let them start Harrington without making themselves look stupid for starting Pepper in the first place.
Saban is trying desperately to mimic his mentor Bill the Brain, but he just looks completely lost. The NFL is not the same as college! This seems to be too much for Saban to handle.
Dol Fan for Life

Brea, CA

#14 Oct 7, 2006
Hey Coach! Take a look at your record, time to stop all your no talking, and win a game! This is not LSU, you are now in the pro's, either start winning or move on! Sir you are no Don Shula, he at least told us what was happening! Get it togther or leave!!!!
Jim wrote:
Sanan "Refuses" to name the QB for the game? He's Refuser, that Saban. Indecisive. Often wrong, but never in doubt. Just imagine how far he has gottewn being that way, then imagine how Don Shula became the winningest coach in NFL history. He ain't no Don Shula, is he?
Dolfan Dave

United States

#15 Oct 7, 2006
The quarter back is fine! The back-up would be just fine too! But...The ENTIRE problem is the O-LINE !!
Everyone needs to get off Saban and DC. DC would be great if he wasnt running for his life 90% of the time. All the running issues, the completions to Chambers and McMichael would happen if the stinkin O-LINE were there!
Dolfan Dave

United States

#16 Oct 7, 2006
Dol Fan for Life wrote:
Hey Coach! Take a look at your record, time to stop all your no talking, and win a game! This is not LSU, you are now in the pro's, either start winning or move on! Sir you are no Don Shula, he at least told us what was happening! Get it togther or leave!!!!
<quoted text>
Dol-Fan for life??
With friends like you....?
Dol Fan for Life

Brea, CA

#17 Oct 7, 2006
Hey Dave go back to crying with Steve Spurrier.ust maybe Nicky is another Crying Steve, the pros were just to fast for that baby too!
Dolfan Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Dol-Fan for life??
With friends like you....?
matt

Spring, TX

#18 Oct 7, 2006
Finally, Saban, in a nutshell is saying Culpepper can't get it done. No matter how its stated, its being stated.

Now will Harrington get it done? We are about to find out. Hopefully the o-line can somehow play well enough to give us a guage on how Joey will play. If the o-line plays horrible, it won't be fair enough to totally judge Joey's play unless he somehow plays great regardless. If that's the case, the Fins will have the highest paid backup in the NFL.
matt

Spring, TX

#19 Oct 7, 2006
Those of you who say Culpepper is not the problem don't know anything about football. I agree he's not the only problem, but i've said it before and i'll say it again, with better QB play you can cut the sacks in half to say the least.

Culpepper has the ability and the mechanics, but right now he's staring down wide open receivers when he does have time, and he's very indecisive. This is the NFL, if you don't get rid of the ball, and you can't run, you will get sacked. There has been plenty of times when Daunte had time, but held onto the ball way too long. Those of you who were at the Buffalo and Tennessee games know what i'm talking about. Luckly the fins came out with the win against Tennessee.

But by the same token the o-line is playing poorly as well. That's no secret. It doesn't help that the RG position has been full of injuries.

Not to mention penalites on the o-line to set up poor down and distance situations. Also not to mention poor play by others, i.e. Booker, Mr. Dropballitis.

Add it all together and you have an easy 1-3 team. Bad, very bad.

Harrington may not be the answer due to other problems, but I think he can only help the cause. He might be able to improve at least one position in much need of help.
Dolfan Dave

United States

#20 Oct 7, 2006
Dol Fan for Life wrote:
Hey Dave go back to crying with Steve Spurrier.ust maybe Nicky is another Crying Steve, the pros were just to fast for that baby too!
<quoted text>
Nothin to do with cryin!
Easy with 20/20 hindsight there "lifer".
So easy to blame rather than fix. So easy to compare vs. see alot of good needing some tweaking. When you become a real Dolfan...come on back and try again.
Dolfan B of FT Laud

AOL

#21 Oct 7, 2006
Get Marcus Vick in the QB Lineup. He is the answer to the whole season. No need to have ?? mark.
matt

Spring, TX

#22 Oct 7, 2006
Dolfan B of FT Laud wrote:
Get Marcus Vick in the QB Lineup. He is the answer to the whole season. No need to have ?? mark.
WOW! I hope you are kidding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sammy Morris Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The New England Patriots: The Best Offense in t... (Aug '09) Jan '11 Lucky 45
News Patriots' Taylor eager to return - Sentinel & E... (Nov '10) Nov '10 hii 1
News Patriots all smiles after blowout victory - Sen... (Oct '09) Oct '10 Patriots BeatdDow... 23
News Teammates defend Moss after his postgame remarks (Sep '10) Sep '10 Midnight Rambler 3
News Patriots RB Faulk out for year with knee injury (Sep '10) Sep '10 Bullfarts 2
News Teammates defend outspoken receiver (Sep '10) Sep '10 The Patriot 2
News Welker Back, Brady Shines In Patriots' 28-10 Win (Aug '10) Aug '10 Robbie 2
More from around the web