A sure bet: Packers GM confident in r...

A sure bet: Packers GM confident in roster as is

There are 78 comments on the The Janesville Gazette - Janesville, Wisconsin story from Mar 25, 2009, titled A sure bet: Packers GM confident in roster as is. In it, The Janesville Gazette - Janesville, Wisconsin reports that:

Despite coming off a 6-10 season and being in the midst of a major schematic change on defense, the Packers are not a team with a lot of glaring needs, Thompson said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Janesville Gazette - Janesville, Wisconsin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dave on the Ches Bay

United States

#1 Mar 26, 2009
This is the same GM clown that had confidense in the Pack last season, as exhibited by his short sightedness. I say send the bum packing ...
FAVR4PREZ

De Pere, WI

#2 Mar 26, 2009
Wow Dave... I can tell you're the brightest bulb in the chandelier.
normallylikeyell ow

Saxton, PA

#3 Mar 26, 2009
Sweet. I suggest we all meet at the Super Bowl in a pre-arranged spot and argue with each other.
eric

Arpin, WI

#4 Mar 27, 2009
Thing is the Packers are solid as starters in most spots,its the depth that is killing the Packers.When healthy the Packers are playing with anyone,but,last year half the defense was out injured and look what happened.
Rick

Hyattsville, MD

#5 Mar 28, 2009
eric wrote:
Thing is the Packers are solid as starters in most spots,its the depth that is killing the Packers.When healthy the Packers are playing with anyone,but,last year half the defense was out injured and look what happened.
Exactly. Great point, Eric. Depth is what we need. look at the Cowboys team of the early and mid 90's... That is what made them great.
eric

Arpin, WI

#6 Mar 28, 2009
I read this morning that the Packers might or will try to move Josh Sitton to RT so Duke PReston can play RG GREAT MOVE!
a 6 5 335lb RG
if Alan Barbre can make out well at LG and hes 320lb or so, put Sitton at RT if Tausch cant make it back and Colledge and Spitz are backups as they arent as good anyway,unless Spitz beats Wells at C since Wells has a bad back.

of course if Chad Clifton isnt healthy enough to play LT like he has been,then everything above is subject to change,as Collledge may move to LT or the Packers have the draft!
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#7 Mar 28, 2009
What else is Thompson suppose to say. This has been his team now for a few years, so this is an expected answer. Our Packers are a hard team to read because is our talent 13-3 worthy or 6-10? Personally, I believe we are a 10-win talent level team. I believe we will win at least ten this season based on better coaching and younger guys moving into their prime.
normallylikeyell ow

United States

#8 Mar 28, 2009
Wal I agree--except I'll split the difference and 9-7 (schedule isn't doing us any favors this coming year). Depth is what we need. And for the linemen to stick to their positions. If we need new guys--go out and get a Preston. THAT is what was great those 90s Dallas teams. Their O line dominated. Remember the NFC championship when they beat us? Held the ball like 40 minutes.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#9 Mar 28, 2009
I just watched Dom speaking about their Defense and he believes that you work with the guys you have and build around them, they have been together for a few years and understand how each other play. The key to this team being successful is AR staying healthy and upright, I think you guys know this but AR was the 3rd rated passer in the NFC behind Brees and Warner, not bad after your first full year at QB and all the pressure he was under.We are fine and poised to make a serious run once we get this D-line situation handled, do you really think Dom would have come here with a non talented Defense, he sees something that no one else does and has confidence things will change in Packerland from a Defense standpoint.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#10 Mar 28, 2009
Remember normally, we can never base a season its schedule, did any of us expect Atlanta,Carolina and Houston to come in to lambeau and beat us?No. Did we think we would blow out Indy?No. Its hard to say what Green bay will do this year, but we should win the division if we stay somewhat healthy, we are more talented than the rest of the division.
normallylikeyell ow

Bellwood, PA

#11 Mar 28, 2009
Item 1: yes I think Capers does see good players. Our problem on offense was moving the chains--especially late when needed to rest the defense. Item 2: while your logic is valid in terms of "who knows", you do base your practice time, film time and personnel packages based on your schedule, which was my point. I don't see the personnel depth right now to go out and beat both Super Bowl teams, and rack up 10+ wins. I'm not being negative, just pragmatic. Who thought we'd go 13-3 in '07? We put something together and it worked--and we drew a soft schedule. There have been a lot of changes since then. And we played a pretty tough slate last year. We aren't even the '95 or '07 Pack right now. Not in my opinion.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#12 Mar 28, 2009
oh, ok i get it. No, we are not the 97 pack but I would say were pretty close to the 07 pack since most of that team is still playing for us. The problem of moving the chains late was O-line and running game, teams were not scared of us running the ball, now with some depth on the line we can implement the running attack like late in 07 and that will give our D a rest,hopefully. Like any team, you need to keep the chains moving and your D off the field, plain and simple.
eric

Arpin, WI

#13 Mar 28, 2009
im just hoping with a new coaching staff,the defense will run more then the same 3 defensive plays.Opp. by the 2nd quarter are hip to our plays and can usually run at will agaisnt our defense,so maybe with a new brain trust the defense can run more blitzes, different packages and keep opponents offenses off balance and create turnovers.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#14 Mar 29, 2009
TT is confident in the roster "as is." No suprize, as usual. I guess he has no choice but to be confident. He put this team together. At least he isn't making things even worse by adding a bunch of horrible desparation moves to what will already be a disasterous legacy.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#15 Mar 29, 2009
eric wrote:
im just hoping with a new coaching staff,the defense will run more then the same 3 defensive plays.Opp. by the 2nd quarter are hip to our plays and can usually run at will agaisnt our defense,so maybe with a new brain trust the defense can run more blitzes, different packages and keep opponents offenses off balance and create turnovers.
Exactly! It was so frustrating to watch the defense just get stomped on late in games when we had the LEAD! Dom is a proven D coordinator and with the talent we have on D, there is no reason why TT shouldn't be confident. This team is poised to make a run and with a little more depth on the D-line(thru the draft) we'll be just fine, we have a lot of players who need to be signed next year and this team is not in desperation to make any moves, although i would like to see peppers on this team, but he costs way too much.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#16 Mar 29, 2009
The following FACTS, after 4 years of Ted, do prove that TT is a horrible GM:

1. A "losing" cumulative record.
2. Third place in one of the NFL's weakest divisions.
3. Only one winning season.
4. 6 wins with 2 against the worst team in NFL history.
5. Switch to the 3-4 after years of coaching and acquiring players for the 4-3.
6. Failure to attract and sign players through a combination of the draft, free agency and trades to significantly(or even marginally) improve the teams overall talent.

In the last 9 years his teams have made the playoffs only 3 times. The only success TT has had in the NFL is failure. The TT supporters have no evidence to support their meritless enthusiasm for him. The only reasonable explanation is that they are suffering a lack of oxygen from having their heads stuck up his butt. In the NFL you are a winner or a loser. Ted Thompson is not just a loser, he is an established and proven loser.
eric

Arpin, WI

#17 Mar 29, 2009
lets look at some other facts
first year 4-12 with 32 rookies or 2nd year players
second year 8-8
third year 13-3 and was an INT from the SB
last year 6-10 with injuries and an inexperienced qb at the helm.
TT teams lost the SB on a shitty Ben R. TD
Funny Ron WOlf mentioned he is a tremendous GM,but,i suppose you are smarter then Ron WOlf hah Genius.
many of the folks covering the game mention TT as a great GM.
he rebuilt a team in 3 years and got us into OT agaisnt the SB champs and a INT might have cost us a trip to the SB and another TT team got to the SB and was screwed on a TD that wasnt.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#18 Mar 29, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
The following FACTS, after 4 years of Ted, do prove that TT is a horrible GM:
1. A "losing" cumulative record.
2. Third place in one of the NFL's weakest divisions.
3. Only one winning season.
4. 6 wins with 2 against the worst team in NFL history.
5. Switch to the 3-4 after years of coaching and acquiring players for the 4-3.
6. Failure to attract and sign players through a combination of the draft, free agency and trades to significantly(or even marginally) improve the teams overall talent.
In the last 9 years his teams have made the playoffs only 3 times. The only success TT has had in the NFL is failure. The TT supporters have no evidence to support their meritless enthusiasm for him. The only reasonable explanation is that they are suffering a lack of oxygen from having their heads stuck up his butt. In the NFL you are a winner or a loser. Ted Thompson is not just a loser, he is an established and proven loser.
My head isn't stuck up his butt, I really like a lot of players on this team, you act like he has been here for 10 years and we never had 1 winning season, the guy had to replace a legend at QB, and successfully did that, that RARELY happens in the NFL, there is a lot to look forward too, he took a completely worthless seattle team and turned them around to a superbowl birth, that is pretty damn impressive, but your so damn ignorant and can't get past that we went 6-10 last year and their is no hope, can't wait to chat when we win the division this year, but I'm sure you don't want TT to be successful for your own selfish needs.
eric

Arpin, WI

#19 Mar 29, 2009
i would love to hear their opinion if we win the Super Bowl in the near future.
normallylikeyell ow

Bellwood, PA

#20 Mar 29, 2009
It will be interesting to see how they bounce back from last year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Pickett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Packers' smaller defensive line holding up agai... (Aug '14) Aug '14 VikesFan 4
News Wilson receives $65K bonus from Raiders (Apr '14) Apr '14 Reggie McWTF 2
News Johnny Jolly: Will be cleared medically in a co... (Mar '14) Mar '14 eric 2
News 5 Underrated Free Agents The Green Bay Packers ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 normallylikeyellow 1
News 5 Cost-Effective Moves Green Bay Packers Should... (Jan '14) Jan '14 GBPfan 2
News Green Bay Packers: Mike McCarthy couldn't be in... (Nov '13) Nov '13 40for60 1
News Matt Flynn says he'll be ready for anything (Nov '13) Nov '13 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 3
More from around the web