How will the Green Bay Packers replac...

How will the Green Bay Packers replace suspended Johnny Jolly?

There are 10 comments on the Examiner.com story from Jul 18, 2010, titled How will the Green Bay Packers replace suspended Johnny Jolly?. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Johnny Jolly. That's about all Packers fans have to say regarding the defensive end after NFL Commisioner Roger Goodell suspended Jolly for the entire 2010 season Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#1 Jul 18, 2010
I understand that people feel that Jolly may have received an appropriate punishment. Every player is aware of the rules and what is expected of them. Certainly, Johnny Jolly knew that he was on a short leash due to his legal troubles. However, it is ridiculous to suggest that the Packers will be better off without their leading tackler on the defensive line. There is obviously a thin line between optimism an stupidity.
Dewy

Marshfield, WI

#2 Jul 18, 2010
I am hoping the two D-Linemen they drafted in the second round can rotate into the mix. They also drafted one in the seventh. If they work out it will help. If not they are/will be thin on the line.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#3 Jul 18, 2010
I hope too. However, hope is not a good substitute for quality players or depth.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#4 Jul 20, 2010
GBPfan wrote:
I hope too. However, hope is not a good substitute for quality players or depth.
How will this effect your 3-4 scheme? That whole scheme is predicated upon getting that initial push and controlling the gaps to stop the run by your D-lineman.. Is Jolly's suspension going to hinder that or do you guys have the talent to replace him.
Jeremy

Barney, ND

#5 Jul 21, 2010
erie-vike fan wrote:
<quoted text>How will this effect your 3-4 scheme? That whole scheme is predicated upon getting that initial push and controlling the gaps to stop the run by your D-lineman.. Is Jolly's suspension going to hinder that or do you guys have the talent to replace him.
That question will only be answered when the season starts, IMO GB will lose some quality play on the line, but Raji, Picket and Jenkins are still there with Neal and Harrell as backups.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#7 Jul 22, 2010
erie-vike fan wrote:
<quoted text>How will this effect your 3-4 scheme? That whole scheme is predicated upon getting that initial push and controlling the gaps to stop the run by your D-lineman.. Is Jolly's suspension going to hinder that or do you guys have the talent to replace him.
Obviously, it won't help the Packers to enter the season without the leading tackler on the D-line last year. The Packers and their fans have to hope that the combination of a rookie(Neal) and the development of Raji and Harrell(assuming he can stay healthy and contribute) will make up for the loss of the team's best D-lineman. It's nothing new. Turd Thompson has never cared about depth and he never will. So we fans end up having to pray for miracles. It really sucks for us atheists.
Danger

Ipswich, SD

#8 Jul 22, 2010
Can't expect anything from Harrell, and I'm not going to expect wonders from a rookie, either. I did see enough quality play from Raji last year to think hell be solid. Picket and Jenkins are good. Well be OK.

Of course wed be better with Jolly, although Im not usually excited about having druggies in the locker room.

Of all our positions, DL is the one were best prepared for.
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#9 Jul 22, 2010
Danger wrote:
Of all our positions, DL is the one were best prepared for.
Best prepared for? Is that because we have so little depth at every other position? The bottom line is that the D-line is weaker now. That ain't a good thing. The D-line is like nearly every other position now. One injury from being devastated. It's time the Packers had some GOOD management.
Danger

Ipswich, SD

#10 Aug 4, 2010
Best prepared for means you can count on losing a few players every year to injury, stupidity, declining performance, etc.
You prepare as best you can for those eventualities. D line is the area where we are best equipped to handle the loss.
You know what I mean. Why are you always trying to pick a fight?
GBPfan

Fountain, CO

#11 Aug 4, 2010
Danger wrote:
Best prepared for means you can count on losing a few players every year to injury, stupidity, declining performance, etc.
You prepare as best you can for those eventualities. D line is the area where we are best equipped to handle the loss.
You know what I mean. Why are you always trying to pick a fight?
I'm not. I just wasn't sure what you meant. I do disagree however. As I said, the D-line now seems to be less deep and more susceptible to injury. Perhaps as little as one injury could have a severe negative impact to the team. If that is our best area, that is NOT a good sign.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Pickett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Packers' smaller defensive line holding up agai... (Aug '14) Aug '14 VikesFan 4
News Wilson receives $65K bonus from Raiders (Apr '14) Apr '14 Reggie McWTF 2
News Johnny Jolly: Will be cleared medically in a co... (Mar '14) Mar '14 eric 2
News 5 Underrated Free Agents The Green Bay Packers ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 normallylikeyellow 1
News 5 Cost-Effective Moves Green Bay Packers Should... (Jan '14) Jan '14 GBPfan 2
News Green Bay Packers: Mike McCarthy couldn't be in... (Nov '13) Nov '13 40for60 1
News Matt Flynn says he'll be ready for anything (Nov '13) Nov '13 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 3
More from around the web