Can Packers Take Pressure Off Favre

Can Packers Take Pressure Off Favre

There are 11 comments on the The Associated Press story from Sep 5, 2006, titled Can Packers Take Pressure Off Favre . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

For the Green Bay Packers, this year isn't about Brett Favre and his gunslinging.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

Jim Thompson

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 9, 2006
You can't play offensive football without a first-class
interior offensive line. Apparently, someone or perhaps
more than one "someone" in Green Bay seems to have forgotten that. Makes one wonder if the major muftis and domos of our esteemed green and gold weren't secretly hoping Favre would just go away and retired, because even more than last year, he will be lucky to merely survive the season. Somebody in the
organization is either incredibly stupid, or is intentionally trying to do something destructive. Unfortunately, this moronic
plan seems to have worked.
We'll be very lucky to win two games, and I expect an even larger list of injured running backs and perhaps quarterbacks and wide receivers than we had last year. Remember: there is NO substitute for incompetence.
jerry

Eagle River, WI

#2 Sep 9, 2006
Sorry to disagree with you Jim, but it is absolutely ludicrous to suggest there is some kind of conspiracy to make Favre retire or that someone in the organization wants the team to fail. Quite simply, the 2 veteran OG were allowed to leave last year because the team had major salary cap problems, which were the result of some bad choices made by the previous GM & coach. Ted Thompson is doing an amazingly good job of rebuilding the team, and I expect the Pack to return to the playoffs in 2008. In the meantime, I plan to watch the younger players develop over the course of the season, and by the end of the year we should have a pretty good idea as to which ones will form the nucleus that will carry the team to success. If we win only 2 games this year, so be it. I'm willing to accept that as part of the rebuilding process.
Jim Thompson wrote:
You can't play offensive football without a first-class
interior offensive line. Apparently, someone or perhaps
more than one "someone" in Green Bay seems to have forgotten that. Makes one wonder if the major muftis and domos of our esteemed green and gold weren't secretly hoping Favre would just go away and retired, because even more than last year, he will be lucky to merely survive the season. Somebody in the
organization is either incredibly stupid, or is intentionally trying to do something destructive. Unfortunately, this moronic
plan seems to have worked.
We'll be very lucky to win two games, and I expect an even larger list of injured running backs and perhaps quarterbacks and wide receivers than we had last year. Remember: there is NO substitute for incompetence.
Packer Destiny

Wasco, CA

#3 Sep 9, 2006
Jim Thompson wrote:
Somebody in the
organization is either incredibly stupid, or is intentionally trying to do something destructive. Unfortunately, this moronic plan seems to have worked.
Oh please, get real! Isn't there a Bears forum somewhere that you can fret about your rookie QB? Well, he's not quite a rookie, but he did seem to miss a lot of games the last two years. Then again, how can you worry when you have a decent winning QB sitting on the bench in Brian Griese? I bet it's only four games until Griese gets promoted to number one QB. Though I put my money on Griese taking over, I hope Lovie sticks with Grossman to the Bears' detriment, and the Packers' benefit.
kidflash

Cambridge, WI

#4 Sep 10, 2006
Jim Thompson wrote:
You can't play offensive football without a first-class
interior offensive line. Apparently, someone or perhaps
more than one "someone" in Green Bay seems to have forgotten that. Makes one wonder if the major muftis and domos of our esteemed green and gold weren't secretly hoping Favre would just go away and retired, because even more than last year, he will be lucky to merely survive the season. Somebody in the
organization is either incredibly stupid, or is intentionally trying to do something destructive. Unfortunately, this moronic
plan seems to have worked.
We'll be very lucky to win two games, and I expect an even larger list of injured running backs and perhaps quarterbacks and wide receivers than we had last year. Remember: there is NO substitute for incompetence.
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, why would the Packers throw the whole team under the bus just to make a point to Brett? What else could Ted Thompson have done to fix the O-line? As Jerry pointed out last year they had no cap room, and this year the only way to get 2 quality gaurds would have been to over pay and put themselves back into cap trouble.
Heidi of Tucson

Tucson, AZ

#5 Sep 10, 2006
kidflash wrote:
<quoted text>Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, why would the Packers throw the whole team under the bus just to make a point to Brett? What else could Ted Thompson have done to fix the O-line? As Jerry pointed out last year they had no cap room, and this year the only way to get 2 quality gaurds would have been to over pay and put themselves back into cap trouble.
First of all the Packers are in fat city with regard to this year's salary cap. The only veteran they probably overpaid for was Woodson. There's also some heavy criticism of Thompson this weekend with regards to the offensive line. The Milwuakee Journal Sentinel quotes Bob McGinn as stating that what Thompson is doing with the o-line is like "sending out boys to do a man's job." He means that starting two rookies at guard at the same time is unwise to say the least.

Again, you guys keep mentioning the salary cap as the reason for losing two veterans, but the team could have worked out a way to keep one of the two starting guards. Right now, it's said that Thompson's biggest mistake and personnel error was in letting Wahle leave in free agency. McGinn said it again in his column.

Granted, Sherman was not a great personnel guy, but everything that has gone wrong with this team should not be laid on his doorstep. If you think about it, he is an offensive coach with his specialty being the offensive line. Give some credit to Sherman for the fact that Green Bay had one of the top lines in the NFL for what four-five years?

I think Thompson comes from the school of thought that teams shouldn't overpay for linemen. Thompson has a reputation for developing young talent; let's hope he lives up to it. Unfortunately, it will probably be too late for Farve. With the rookies and Clifton's injury troubles, I think Farve will be warming the ground with his butt quite a bit this year.
jerry

Eagle River, WI

#6 Sep 10, 2006
Good stuff Heidi, but I must disagree when you said Thompson made a mistake letting Wahle go. It is not always within the team's power to keep a player if he wants to go. Wahl wanted to "break the bank" and Thompson felt the money could be better spent, and that's what he gets paid to do....make those kinds of decisions. Also what you may not know is that Wahl is a big whiner and complainer, and Ted has been hell bent on getting rid of those types.
Heidi of Tucson wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all the Packers are in fat city with regard to this year's salary cap. The only veteran they probably overpaid for was Woodson. There's also some heavy criticism of Thompson this weekend with regards to the offensive line. The Milwuakee Journal Sentinel quotes Bob McGinn as stating that what Thompson is doing with the o-line is like "sending out boys to do a man's job." He means that starting two rookies at guard at the same time is unwise to say the least.
Again, you guys keep mentioning the salary cap as the reason for losing two veterans, but the team could have worked out a way to keep one of the two starting guards. Right now, it's said that Thompson's biggest mistake and personnel error was in letting Wahle leave in free agency. McGinn said it again in his column.
Granted, Sherman was not a great personnel guy, but everything that has gone wrong with this team should not be laid on his doorstep. If you think about it, he is an offensive coach with his specialty being the offensive line. Give some credit to Sherman for the fact that Green Bay had one of the top lines in the NFL for what four-five years?
I think Thompson comes from the school of thought that teams shouldn't overpay for linemen. Thompson has a reputation for developing young talent; let's hope he lives up to it. Unfortunately, it will probably be too late for Farve. With the rookies and Clifton's injury troubles, I think Farve will be warming the ground with his butt quite a bit this year.
Heidi of Tucson

Tucson, AZ

#7 Sep 10, 2006
jerry wrote:
Good stuff Heidi, but I must disagree when you said Thompson made a mistake letting Wahle go. It is not always within the team's power to keep a player if he wants to go. Wahl wanted to "break the bank" and Thompson felt the money could be better spent, and that's what he gets paid to do....make those kinds of decisions. Also what you may not know is that Wahl is a big whiner and complainer, and Ted has been hell bent on getting rid of those types. <quoted text>
I do know that Wahle was a whiner and a complainer. He tipped the media to that when he would complain about Sherman playing favorites and not awarding him the game ball among other publicized complaints. I also know he was looking for a big payout. To be honest, it was his time to get that payday. Did he set out to break the bank? I don't know. I do know it wasn't the same as Grady Jackson who remained overweight while publicly demanding $5 million from the Packers.

Why are we so hard on athletes who have earned their money? We want to deny those who have made us angry, yet we trumpet the cause of others whom we like. I know--I do it too. Whether keeping Wahle would have broken the bank--I don't know because Green Bay really didn't negotiate with him. This year, Longwell clearly wanted out and didn't give the Packers a chance to negotiate, but I think Wahle's situation was different. I think Wahle simply wanted his payday.

Okay, think about it and answer me honestly. Did Thompson really better spend the money elsewhere last year? Remember Adrian Klemm, etc.? This year Thompson was extremely generous with Woodson (spelling?) and made Al Harris angry. I know someone is always going to have hurt feelings over money, but I see some nagging issues here.
jerry

Eagle River, WI

#8 Sep 10, 2006
First of all Heidi, Ted didn't have the money to spend last year because of the salary cap problems. His first objective to get the salary cap in shape, then spend the money this year to keep the worthy veterans (Kampman, Driver), add some free agents, and build through the draft. Now you tell me if he spent the money well.

Secondly, It's a matter of opinion if Wahle deserved what he was asking. For the first four years he was practically worthless, and nearly cut a couple of times, but the Pack endured and he came around. So you are talking about just 1 or 2 years of good performance.

So now the salary cap is in good shape, we have some very good young players, and now we'll wait to see if this coaching staff can lead them to the playoffs.

Ted was virtually forced into getting Woodson...he had to fix the other corner position, now. He does not believe in free agency and neither do I, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I don't look for Woodson to be here more than 2 years. Let's see how he performs.
Heidi of Tucson wrote:
<quoted text>
I do know that Wahle was a whiner and a complainer. He tipped the media to that when he would complain about Sherman playing favorites and not awarding him the game ball among other publicized complaints. I also know he was looking for a big payout. To be honest, it was his time to get that payday. Did he set out to break the bank? I don't know. I do know it wasn't the same as Grady Jackson who remained overweight while publicly demanding $5 million from the Packers.
Why are we so hard on athletes who have earned their money? We want to deny those who have made us angry, yet we trumpet the cause of others whom we like. I know--I do it too. Whether keeping Wahle would have broken the bank--I don't know because Green Bay really didn't negotiate with him. This year, Longwell clearly wanted out and didn't give the Packers a chance to negotiate, but I think Wahle's situation was different. I think Wahle simply wanted his payday.
Okay, think about it and answer me honestly. Did Thompson really better spend the money elsewhere last year? Remember Adrian Klemm, etc.? This year Thompson was extremely generous with Woodson (spelling?) and made Al Harris angry. I know someone is always going to have hurt feelings over money, but I see some nagging issues here.
Heidi of Tucson

Tucson, AZ

#9 Sep 10, 2006
jerry wrote:
First of all Heidi, Ted didn't have the money to spend last year because of the salary cap problems. His first objective to get the salary cap in shape, then spend the money this year to keep the worthy veterans (Kampman, Driver), add some free agents, and build through the draft. Now you tell me if he spent the money well.
Secondly, It's a matter of opinion if Wahle deserved what he was asking. For the first four years he was practically worthless, and nearly cut a couple of times, but the Pack endured and he came around. So you are talking about just 1 or 2 years of good performance.
So now the salary cap is in good shape, we have some very good young players, and now we'll wait to see if this coaching staff can lead them to the playoffs.
Ted was virtually forced into getting Woodson...he had to fix the other corner position, now. He does not believe in free agency and neither do I, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I don't look for Woodson to be here more than 2 years. Let's see how he performs.<quoted text>
Jerry, I don't remember the scenario with Wahle quite the same way you do. He definitely came around--whether he only gave two good years I don't know without going back to the archives. I do know that he was considered a top guard in the NFL--maybe not blue but the next tier. Given that the free agents to fill the guard position are no longer there, I would say it's a crap shoot as to whether or not Thompson spent that money wisely. Sometimes, you have to give people a chance.

Thompson rewarded Driver with an extension, as he should have, and signed Bubba. There is speculation that he ended up paying too much for Bubba. As I see it, he didn't have much of a choice with Bubba.

On the draft picks, again only the future will tell, as it will with Woodson. If Woodson's here for two years, let's pray he stays injury free and helps create a formidable duo in the backfield.

I am weak on plays and packages, so will never argue those. Coversely, I do keep up on my reading and subscriptions, having done so for a good while now. I also get the business end of the game (sport).
Avant

Henderson, NV

#10 Sep 10, 2006
jerry wrote:
First of all Heidi, Ted didn't have the money to spend last year because of the salary cap problems. His first objective to get the salary cap in shape, then spend the money this year to keep the worthy veterans (Kampman, Driver), add some free agents, and build through the draft. Now you tell me if he spent the money well.
Secondly, It's a matter of opinion if Wahle deserved what he was asking. For the first four years he was practically worthless, and nearly cut a couple of times, but the Pack endured and he came around. So you are talking about just 1 or 2 years of good performance.
So now the salary cap is in good shape, we have some very good young players, and now we'll wait to see if this coaching staff can lead them to the playoffs.
Ted was virtually forced into getting Woodson...he had to fix the other corner position, now. He does not believe in free agency and neither do I, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I don't look for Woodson to be here more than 2 years. Let's see how he performs.<quoted text>
jerry, so how do you think woodson performed today? Where is everybody?
Henry

Stevens Point, WI

#11 Sep 10, 2006
Yes, Avant, we're all running away because our team did bad.

*rolls eyes*

No, it's kinda called we all have other stuff to do than come on the computer 10 minutes after the game.

Anyways, Woodson had his ups and downs, as did everyone in general. Maybe I'll go make a thread about the game later.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Pickett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Packers' smaller defensive line holding up agai... (Aug '14) Aug '14 VikesFan 4
News Wilson receives $65K bonus from Raiders (Apr '14) Apr '14 Reggie McWTF 2
News Johnny Jolly: Will be cleared medically in a co... (Mar '14) Mar '14 eric 2
News 5 Underrated Free Agents The Green Bay Packers ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 normallylikeyellow 1
News 5 Cost-Effective Moves Green Bay Packers Should... (Jan '14) Jan '14 GBPfan 2
News Green Bay Packers: Mike McCarthy couldn't be in... (Nov '13) Nov '13 40for60 1
News Matt Flynn says he'll be ready for anything (Nov '13) Nov '13 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 3
More from around the web