Coach Mike Price says UTEP football team will rally around Dona...

Full story: El Paso Times 31
Normally, this is the point where Mike Price would talk about pride, having fun, playing for the seniors, playing for each other. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JJG

El Paso, TX

#22 Nov 18, 2009
Who are we going to hire if UTEP does get rid of Price? Even if he does turn out to be a good coach, he probably wouldn't even stay for more than 2 years. Doesn't anyone remember the lesson that Billy Gillespie taught us? UTEP does not have the money due to the lack of fan loyalty to keep a coach that could put us in a BCS Bowl game every year. The only way UTEP could keep a coach like that is if the Sun Bowl,the Don Haskins Center, Memorial Gym, University Field and Helen of Troy Field were sold out for every game for every athletic event for a good 4 or 5 years. Until that happens and people become true "UTEP fans", all you whiners need to pipe down and let Coach Price do his thing. He is the man and I still want him to be UTEP's football coach. Anyone want to talk about it? Email me at jman84022002@yahoo.com
Tired of Losing

United States

#24 Nov 18, 2009
Four or five years ago, when UTEP decided to go after Price and give him that "Chance" they also knew that in order to start getting "Better" coaches they needed to cough up better money. They went to the board of regents and asked to allow them to pay more money for the position. The base salary was moved from a base pay of $220,000 to the $375,000. The university felt that still wasn't enough and went to the Boosters and Alumni associations who came up with the additional committment of $25k per year for the contract for price. "The gurantee" was then given to $400,000 base. The university was given a stipulation that if the alumni association and the boosters came up with the money, they had to come up with other "perks" for Price and staff. That is when they came up with the bonus for the "above 25K tickets sold, the ranking bonus, the BCS ranking bonus, the bowl bonus, the winining a bowl bonus, the weekly radio show, the visits, the speaking engagements, etc. Price's total comp last year was close to 1.1 million dollars, what do you think that can buy? chopped liver? that's damn good for El Paso, so should we put up with 2nd rate? tell me El Paso? Aren't you tired of it?
JJG

El Paso, TX

#25 Nov 18, 2009
UTEP does not settle for mediocrity and I am most certainly not from Juarez. I do know that Mike Price is the best UTEP can hire for now. Plus he likes El Paso. If they do bring in a new coach, it'll probably be some no name assistant coach from another school and he's probably going to suck. Even if he is good, he'd probably leave after 2 or 3 seasons to a school that can pay him more and we'd just be back to where we were before Price showed up. El paso apparently hasn't learned it's lesson from Billy Gillespie. The only way we can bring in and hold on to a big time coach is if the the Sun Bowl, Don Haskins Center, University Field and Memorial Gym are sold out for every sport for about the next 4 or 5 years, but try convincing 700,000 cheapskates to do that. El Paso always wants everything to be better in the city but they're never willing to pay it forward. I have no clue where these people think we can just bring in a Mack Brown or a Pete Carroll to come in and take over. Shame on you El Paso. I still believe in you Coach Price. Loyal forever, we're standing together. Onward to victory orange and blue. WE WILL BE TRUE!!

P.S. Does anyone realize we could have the nation's leading rusher by the end of next Saturday's game?
JJG

El Paso, TX

#26 Nov 18, 2009
Hey, tired of losing, you make it seem like UTEP was a winning program before Price showed up. I say 5-6 wins is still better than 3 straight season's with only 2 wins. We could use a new defensive coordinator though. I nominate Robert Rodriguez. Anyone agree?
The Truth

United States

#27 Nov 18, 2009
JJG wrote:
UTEP does not settle for mediocrity and I am most certainly not from Juarez. I do know that Mike Price is the best UTEP can hire for now. Plus he likes El Paso. If they do bring in a new coach, it'll probably be some no name assistant coach from another school and he's probably going to suck. Even if he is good, he'd probably leave after 2 or 3 seasons to a school that can pay him more and we'd just be back to where we were before Price showed up. El paso apparently hasn't learned it's lesson from Billy Gillespie. The only way we can bring in and hold on to a big time coach is if the the Sun Bowl, Don Haskins Center, University Field and Memorial Gym are sold out for every sport for about the next 4 or 5 years, but try convincing 700,000 cheapskates to do that. El Paso always wants everything to be better in the city but they're never willing to pay it forward. I have no clue where these people think we can just bring in a Mack Brown or a Pete Carroll to come in and take over. Shame on you El Paso. I still believe in you Coach Price. Loyal forever, we're standing together. Onward to victory orange and blue. WE WILL BE TRUE!!
P.S. Does anyone realize we could have the nation's leading rusher by the end of next Saturday's game?
It doesn't matter having a possible nations best leading rusher if you don't have a defense that can stop anyone. I feel bad for the poor guy. He hasn't and wont get any recognition even if he does become the nations leading rusher. He would get more attention if Utep had at least a winning record. Plus it means nothing being in a weak conference as Conference USA for anyone else. We all know him on here but I doubt many people in the country have even heard of him and I have never heard his name mentioned on any sports show such as sports center,college gameday,radio sports talk,etc. The team can rally around Buckram but I can assure you Mark Ingram will win the best running back of the year award and maybe even the heisman since he plays for a nationally ranked team in a defensive conference in the SEC that also has teams like florida in it. Great job and congrats buckram but to bad you are playing for such a bad team with horrible coaches,a terrible defense,and a bad QB this year or you would get the recongition you deserve.

"Tired of Losing" has been dead on with all their comments. It doesn't matter if a coach likes the city or not. It should be based on his performance and it has not been good at all. He is supposed to be a "big name" coach and hasn't done anything since he started recruiting. And who cares if they get a coach who wins for two or three years and then leaves El Paso. Look at the basketball program and that seems to work for them. They have at least had winning seasons and made it to some type of post season tournament. That's better then below average seasons and mediocracy with someone like price as head coach. Face it,he is not a good coach or he would have completely turned the program around by now. He had a couple of winning seasons with another coaches recruiting class. If he had this record at other school programs he would be fired without questions. You being happy with that is settling for mediocracy!!
Rob

El Paso, TX

#28 Nov 19, 2009
murf915 wrote:
<quoted text>
funny how you go to the guys mother dude get better combacks....Really o thats not what your mom said ITS OLD...Look we know you wanna add your 2cents but just keep then and go tell Price you are ready to bend over for him and take it!!! Well we know how much of a imature jack **** you are that you cant have a adult back and fourth with someone.. You pull the old high school NO middle school thats not what your mom o wife thing... All in all Price SUCKS!!! Fire HIM!!! and someone help this drop out with come backs LOL
By the way you wrote your blog, it appears that you are the drop out looser that needs to go to school and get educated. As for Coach Price, you and all the other whiners will just have to continue to cry because he is not going anywhere. He will be the head football coach (at least another year) according to the athletic director. So get your box of Kleenex tissues ready because we will have a whole lot of whining going on!!!!!!!
Tired of Losing

United States

#29 Nov 19, 2009
Inside Scoop: "It is with good probability, the announcement will 2 days after the last game, there will be significant coaching changes at UTEP, I heard this morning via an internal source at UTEP that El Paso will be Shocked"!!!!!
JJG

El Paso, TX

#30 Nov 19, 2009
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter having a possible nations best leading rusher if you don't have a defense that can stop anyone. I feel bad for the poor guy. He hasn't and wont get any recognition even if he does become the nations leading rusher. He would get more attention if Utep had at least a winning record. Plus it means nothing being in a weak conference as Conference USA for anyone else. We all know him on here but I doubt many people in the country have even heard of him and I have never heard his name mentioned on any sports show such as sports center,college gameday,radio sports talk,etc. The team can rally around Buckram but I can assure you Mark Ingram will win the best running back of the year award and maybe even the heisman since he plays for a nationally ranked team in a defensive conference in the SEC that also has teams like florida in it. Great job and congrats buckram but to bad you are playing for such a bad team with horrible coaches,a terrible defense,and a bad QB this year or you would get the recongition you deserve.
"Tired of Losing" has been dead on with all their comments. It doesn't matter if a coach likes the city or not. It should be based on his performance and it has not been good at all. He is supposed to be a "big name" coach and hasn't done anything since he started recruiting. And who cares if they get a coach who wins for two or three years and then leaves El Paso. Look at the basketball program and that seems to work for them. They have at least had winning seasons and made it to some type of post season tournament. That's better then below average seasons and mediocracy with someone like price as head coach. Face it,he is not a good coach or he would have completely turned the program around by now. He had a couple of winning seasons with another coaches recruiting class. If he had this record at other school programs he would be fired without questions. You being happy with that is settling for mediocracy!!
I never said I was happy with losing and settling for mediocrity is the last thing I want. I hate losing more than anyone else. I'm just saying UTEP can't do any better than Mike Price unless the money is there.(Which it's not due to poor ticket sales. Fans are supposed show up regardless)And a new coach will more than likely bring us back to 2 win seasons. Mike Price could probably bring in better recruits if the fans wouldn't scare them away with all the booing and foul language they direct at the team during the games when something goes wrong. Miner fans are worse than Philadelphia Eagles fans. No one seems to realize that Coach Price brings in recruits to just about every home game that hear and witness everything the goes on in the Sun Bowl and they go back to their home towns and tell their team mates what El Paso fans are like. If I were a highly recruited high school player and saw how El Paso treats it's football team and coaches, there's no doubt I would go play ball somewhere else. A fan base in a half empty stadium has not earned the privilege to demand a new coach. If the stadium is always sold out, then you could say the fan base has every reason to demand a new coach. Ohio State fans have every reason to demand a new coach if they choose to.

Also, Donald Buckram will get the recognition he deserves. Even if the recognition doesn't come in the form of a bronze trophy or a 2 minute segment on Sports Center, he will still go into the books as the Nation's Leading Rusher for 2009. That's the title that really matters for any running back in the country. You can't take that away from him no matter how bad the team was or how weak the conference is. The defenses might be tougher in the SEC and Big 12, but Conference USA still has 11 guys on the other side of the ball trying to take you down. I will be at the next home game against Marshall cheering Buckram and Price on to victory. Count on it!!!
JJG

El Paso, TX

#31 Nov 19, 2009
Tired of Losing wrote:
Inside Scoop: "It is with good probability, the announcement will 2 days after the last game, there will be significant coaching changes at UTEP, I heard this morning via an internal source at UTEP that El Paso will be Shocked"!!!!!
It'll probably the defensive coordinator that gets fired, not Price. I think Robert Rodriguez is an excellent nominee to take over the defense.
JJG

El Paso, TX

#32 Nov 19, 2009
jUTEP wrote:
Will someone please change the music? I've heard this same song played over and over and over and over and over ..........
FIRE PRICE NOW!!!!!
I bet you're the type of fan that boos the team when things go wrong. You haven't earned the privilege to demand a new coach and the fan base hasn't either. Show me 52,000 people at every single home game that don't boo the team and then I would say the fan base could demand the firing of Mike Price. The fans have to pay it forward first.
Art

El Paso, TX

#33 Nov 20, 2009
JJG wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you're the type of fan that boos the team when things go wrong. You haven't earned the privilege to demand a new coach and the fan base hasn't either. Show me 52,000 people at every single home game that don't boo the team and then I would say the fan base could demand the firing of Mike Price. The fans have to pay it forward first.
Well said!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Mathews Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
San Diego Chargers Should Look Into Knowshon Mo... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Dave 2
NFL Week 15 Picks: San Diego Chargers vs. Denve... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Janitor 2
Chargers vs Raiders: Keys To The Game (Oct '13) Oct '13 Laughing Bear Fan 3
Danny Woodhead Could Be What Darren Sproles Was... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Football Fans 2
Who Are the NFL's Most Injury-Prone Players? (Jul '13) Jul '13 Mr D D Day 12
The San Diego Chargers should consider Giovani ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Denny Grimaud 2
Will San Diego Chargers Add a Running Back to C... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Denny Grkimaud 1

Ryan Mathews People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE