Interim coach Leslie Frazier has calm...

Interim coach Leslie Frazier has calmed the storm for Minnesota Vikings

There are 157 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 27, 2010, titled Interim coach Leslie Frazier has calmed the storm for Minnesota Vikings. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

While Vikings ownership faces a difficult decision regarding Leslie Frazier's job security, Frazier has one thing around which to build his case.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
green gay fagers

Saint Paul, MN

#144 Dec 30, 2010
oxboro wrote:
<quoted text>
trent dilfer also won a super bowl
okay??????????
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#145 Jan 3, 2011
I guess you can remove the "INTERIM" tag from Frazier. After losing to Detroit (lol) he's a proven loser
Archie From Coon Rapids

Minneapolis, MN

#146 Jan 3, 2011
Ain't no expert but have always liked to see ex players bloodied in the trenches become head coach's especially Fraziers knowledge of the Eagles defense that they had no defense against
Mike Tice, Great The 49's fired Mike Singletary the hardest playing Bear ever losing by three touchdowns in the last minute #55 would not stop.

That is all i got to say, except, thanks Vikes for not giving up, And to Brett Farve that showed America how to love and respect the game we call football,and the respect for other teams players.
This Guy

Saint Paul, MN

#147 Jan 3, 2011
Archie From Coon Rapids wrote:
Mike Tice, Great The 49's fired Mike Singletary the hardest playing Bear ever losing by three touchdowns in the last minute #55 would not stop.
Singletary wore #50

Since: May 10

Saint Paul, MN

#148 Jan 4, 2011
Purple Faithful wrote:
<quoted text>no, just if the coach believes in webb as QB of the future, whoever he is. I guess i was assuming it was Frazier, but Siefert's blog made me re-think that. I think Siefert's right & we're watching the Tice drama all over again. Wilf's already made the decision he doesn't want Frazier. Maybe there's something to those Parcells rumors. Frazier's certainly earned the job in my mind. I'm feeling a similar decision making process to Wilf's initial hires: Foley & Childress. So Frazier & the staff is probably gone ala Tice & we end up with a knee-jerk Tuna hiring so he can soprano us, i guess.(send us to the fishes: Miami. Who, after parcells are still rebuilding, same as before & after parcells was in Dallas, etc.) Parcells organization drafts some guy named LT & Parcells becomes a genius, same as after parcells guy BB became after Bledsoe gets hurt & brady comes in. Fine coaches, but i think overrated. LT was MVP for what, a decade? same as Brady. Always helps you appear brilliant if you have the league MVP. not so much in cleveland, miami, NYJ, dallas, etc. Frazier should get the job. oh well.(of course, i didn't think tice should have lost his job & i thought chilly was a moron from his initial press conference.)
Looks like Siefert got it wrong? Anyway, let's see what coach Frazier does with his staff over the next few weeks. Bevell should be gone. Whoever is coaching our DB's should find a new line of work. I wonder if Pagac gets promoted.
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#149 Jan 4, 2011
Pagac gets promoted, I am laughing.

Saint Paul, MN

#150 Jan 4, 2011
Viking Fan wrote:
Pagac gets promoted, I am laughing.
Why would you laugh at that?
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#151 Jan 4, 2011
Portland Area Global AIDS Coalition?
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#152 Jan 4, 2011
Or was it his career playing stats of 8 receptions for 84 yards. It's one of the two.

“Zimmer Turner Overdrive”

Since: Jan 07

Minneapolis

#153 Jan 4, 2011
CT Viking Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like Siefert got it wrong? Anyway, let's see what coach Frazier does with his staff over the next few weeks. Bevell should be gone. Whoever is coaching our DB's should find a new line of work. I wonder if Pagac gets promoted.
In Frazier i trust. Vikings hired the right guy. Replace the DB coach, though? with everyone hurt, he gets a bunch of rejects & misfits to play better secondary than last year & he should be fired? I don't see it. The position coaches who were not beset by injuries & underperformed number one. Defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. I think he's Frazier's pal, though, so we're probably stuck with him.

As for Bevel, um, well, i would have no problem either way. keeping or going. Remember, bevel doesn't get to decide roster. It wasn't his decision to play wide reciever with Lewis, Baskett, & Camirrillo. remember, those were our only wideouts some games & even when Berrian was healthy, he's still a speed guy with bad hands who no longer has speed. I blame the GM (triangle thing) for not providing a wr to an offense after going "all in" & hiring a 20,000,000$ QB. How can your only viable option in that scenario be a guy with a chonic migraine problem that prevents him from playing & practicing for such extensive periods of time? how does a qb find a rhythm with that? The brain trust blew it by not trading up for dez bryant & then blew it again by not acquiring vincent jackson. Hiring moss for a minute was entertaining & i give some credit for the entertainment factor, but that was not a real attempt at fixing the situation, i don't think. If it was, it further shows incompetence.

Oh, & don't say the vikes didn't know rice was hurt. that's more incompetence. how do you spend 20,000,000 on a qb & not have some physical therapists around at 70k or so to make sure your investment isn't about to be wasted? makes no sense to me.
Viking Fan

Secaucus, NJ

#154 Jan 5, 2011
I trust Farsier too...that we wont see a Super Bowl with that clown.

Saint Paul, MN

#155 Jan 5, 2011
Purple Faithful wrote:
<quoted text>In Frazier i trust. Vikings hired the right guy. Replace the DB coach, though? with everyone hurt, he gets a bunch of rejects & misfits to play better secondary than last year & he should be fired? I don't see it. The position coaches who were not beset by injuries & underperformed number one. Defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. I think he's Frazier's pal, though, so we're probably stuck with him.
As for Bevel, um, well, i would have no problem either way. keeping or going. Remember, bevel doesn't get to decide roster. It wasn't his decision to play wide reciever with Lewis, Baskett, & Camirrillo. remember, those were our only wideouts some games & even when Berrian was healthy, he's still a speed guy with bad hands who no longer has speed. I blame the GM (triangle thing) for not providing a wr to an offense after going "all in" & hiring a 20,000,000$ QB. How can your only viable option in that scenario be a guy with a chonic migraine problem that prevents him from playing & practicing for such extensive periods of time? how does a qb find a rhythm with that? The brain trust blew it by not trading up for dez bryant & then blew it again by not acquiring vincent jackson. Hiring moss for a minute was entertaining & i give some credit for the entertainment factor, but that was not a real attempt at fixing the situation, i don't think. If it was, it further shows incompetence.
Oh, & don't say the vikes didn't know rice was hurt. that's more incompetence. how do you spend 20,000,000 on a qb & not have some physical therapists around at 70k or so to make sure your investment isn't about to be wasted? makes no sense to me.
The DB coaching has been awful for a while, not just this season. The Vikes pass defense had been in the the bottom half of the league 4 of the last 5 years. I understand the injury issue but it is no excuse for having your bench players constantly out of position and unable to make a tackle; especially since most of the backups have been with the team since Spring Training. How many interceptions did the DB's rack up over the past 5 seasons?
The WR play is not why this team finished last in the division. The primary reasons are the offense could not establish a running game or protect our QB - the OL was a sieve. Trading up for Dez Bryant or acquiring Vincent Jackson is unrealistic: The Cowboys had their eye on Bryant all along and were not going to let him get away; the Chargers were not dealing Jackson - period.
Time will tell if Frazier was the right choice for the job. I hope it all works out and wish him well.

Minneapolis

#156 Jan 6, 2011
CT Viking Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The DB coaching has been awful for a while, not just this season. The Vikes pass defense had been in the the bottom half of the league 4 of the last 5 years. I understand the injury issue but it is no excuse for having your bench players constantly out of position and unable to make a tackle; especially since most of the backups have been with the team since Spring Training. How many interceptions did the DB's rack up over the past 5 seasons?
The WR play is not why this team finished last in the division. The primary reasons are the offense could not establish a running game or protect our QB - the OL was a sieve. Trading up for Dez Bryant or acquiring Vincent Jackson is unrealistic: The Cowboys had their eye on Bryant all along and were not going to let him get away; the Chargers were not dealing Jackson - period.
Time will tell if Frazier was the right choice for the job. I hope it all works out and wish him well.
I agree if you are looking at previous years, the DB's have not done very well. Williams was a poor signing as well & shepard didn't bring much. Your statements on VJ seem uninformed. We didn't offer more than what San DIego will get when VJ leaves as a free agent. As for the cowboys would do whatever to get Dez bryant, well, i just know what they did do. They gave up a 3rd round pick - like what we gave up to move up & take Toby Gerhardt. I'd have been willing to give a second for sure & select someone other than gerhardt in the third.

Granted, then we wouldn't have toby Gerhardt or Chris Cook. Who knows how bad the vikes would have been without them.When a big time talent's available at a position of need, i have real trouble not trading two stiffs to get him & the odds are that any second round pick & the vikes 1st rounder at #30 or whatever was gonna be a stiff. Turns out, the vikings first, second & third round picks were all stiffs in 2009. That is to say, if you can pick up frank walker & Booker & improve your team over who you drafted, maybe, just maybe, we should have traded the picks. Just sayin'

Saint Paul, MN

#157 Jan 6, 2011
Purple Faithful wrote:
<quoted text>I agree if you are looking at previous years, the DB's have not done very well. Williams was a poor signing as well & shepard didn't bring much. Your statements on VJ seem uninformed. We didn't offer more than what San DIego will get when VJ leaves as a free agent. As for the cowboys would do whatever to get Dez bryant, well, i just know what they did do. They gave up a 3rd round pick - like what we gave up to move up & take Toby Gerhardt. I'd have been willing to give a second for sure & select someone other than gerhardt in the third.
Granted, then we wouldn't have toby Gerhardt or Chris Cook. Who knows how bad the vikes would have been without them.When a big time talent's available at a position of need, i have real trouble not trading two stiffs to get him & the odds are that any second round pick & the vikes 1st rounder at #30 or whatever was gonna be a stiff. Turns out, the vikings first, second & third round picks were all stiffs in 2009. That is to say, if you can pick up frank walker & Booker & improve your team over who you drafted, maybe, just maybe, we should have traded the picks. Just sayin'
I'd like to see the team make better personnel decisions too. Overall, I think Spielman and company have done an above average job. What we might not know is how heavily Childress weighed in on these player decisions but I'm guessing it was heavily.
My problem with having Frazier as coach has to do with the amount of experience he has with rebuilding a team. Granted, a total rebuild is not in order but when you talk about picking a QB in the first round you are getting pretty close. The coaching has been bad is some areas too. The Vikes are not retaining Kevin Rogers - that's a good start. I wouldn't give Joe Woods or Matt Sheldon a free pass - those DB's and Safeties tanked this year and haven't been very good since Dungy was here.

Minneapolis

#159 Jan 6, 2011
CT Viking Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to see the team make better personnel decisions too. Overall, I think Spielman and company have done an above average job. What we might not know is how heavily Childress weighed in on these player decisions but I'm guessing it was heavily.
My problem with having Frazier as coach has to do with the amount of experience he has with rebuilding a team. Granted, a total rebuild is not in order but when you talk about picking a QB in the first round you are getting pretty close. The coaching has been bad is some areas too. The Vikes are not retaining Kevin Rogers - that's a good start. I wouldn't give Joe Woods or Matt Sheldon a free pass - those DB's and Safeties tanked this year and haven't been very good since Dungy was here.
Agreed. The thing is, Dungy's not gonna overhaul his defensive staff because they are his friends. We'll have to see if they can do any better now that they have more input on the players. The position coach i have the most problem with is the DL coach, Dunbar. No one recieved more "treasure" than him & no one got less performance than him. But he's Frazier's pal, so he's safe. This non-firing of bevell & firing of our QB coach is interesting. Frazier hasn't said he's keeping bevell as OC. I think Frazier must be trying to get a different OC & plan to plug in Bevell as QB coach. I doubt Josh McDanials would want to be OC & not get to name his staff, so i'm a bit underwhelmed. I sure hope Frazier hires his best friend in the NFL as his linebacker coach at minimum. we could use some of that singletary steel around here.

Saint Paul, MN

#161 Jan 7, 2011
Purple Faithful wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed. The thing is, Dungy's not gonna overhaul his defensive staff because they are his friends. We'll have to see if they can do any better now that they have more input on the players. The position coach i have the most problem with is the DL coach, Dunbar. No one recieved more "treasure" than him & no one got less performance than him. But he's Frazier's pal, so he's safe. This non-firing of bevell & firing of our QB coach is interesting. Frazier hasn't said he's keeping bevell as OC. I think Frazier must be trying to get a different OC & plan to plug in Bevell as QB coach. I doubt Josh McDanials would want to be OC & not get to name his staff, so i'm a bit underwhelmed. I sure hope Frazier hires his best friend in the NFL as his linebacker coach at minimum. we could use some of that singletary steel around here.
Excellent points. I guess there's enough blame to go around after a bad season without having to look too hard. Whatever the case, some new blood and a few adjustments just might set things right again. One more thing, good coaches attract good players. Getting some higher profile guys might help get some better FA's to sign. Let's hope.

Minneapolis

#162 Jan 7, 2011
CT Viking Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent points. I guess there's enough blame to go around after a bad season without having to look too hard. Whatever the case, some new blood and a few adjustments just might set things right again. One more thing, good coaches attract good players. Getting some higher profile guys might help get some better FA's to sign. Let's hope.
yeah, with Singletary & McDanials coming in now, this is exciting stuff! These two guys will make a world of difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Longwell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Bear Bryan Robinson found dead in Milwau... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Longwell reminisces about 'great run' as Packer... (Aug '13) Aug '13 GBPfan 8
News Longtime K Longwell announces retirement (Aug '13) Aug '13 Bleeds Purple 5
News Seahawks have the NFL's strongest roster, says ... (Mar '13) May '13 number80 3
News 6 Biggest Trouble Spots on the Minnesota Viking... (Jun '12) Dec '12 Langoliers 3
News Hey NFL, It's Time to Start Taking the Minnesot... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Fran the Man 18
News Peterson returns, Vikings edge Jaguars, 26-23 i... (Sep '12) Sep '12 John Wayne 2
More from around the web