Tape shows Tampa Bay Buccaneer target...

Tape shows Tampa Bay Buccaneer targeting Minnesota Vikings' Adr...

There are 53 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 12, 2008, titled Tape shows Tampa Bay Buccaneer targeting Minnesota Vikings' Adr.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson said Thursday he couldn't remember which Tampa Bay Buccaneers player tried to "take me out" during last month's game, except that the player targeting him wore a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“m”

Since: Sep 08

here

#1 Dec 12, 2008
thats how the game is played and has been played
Jesse M

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Dec 12, 2008
I think they are just a little paranoid. They are trying to tackle him and he is trying to remain on his feet. Just a guess but that might be why he was still up, not because they were holding him up to be taken out. Then when he won't go down because his legs are remaining firm to keep him up, imagine, someone goes for his legs to remove that connection to the ground.

Watch out AP while driving down 94, there are 100s of cars following you. More people trying to take you out!!!
Dubya Tee Eff

Plymouth, MN

#3 Dec 12, 2008
Cato June has had his say, and this is mine. In what follows, when I quote from June, I will use the word "excrement" in place of another word which is now apparently permitted in general circulation publications and which I have edited out. He is merciless, querulous, cuckoo, lewd, temperamental, and uncompromising. Need I go on? He likes to brag about how the members of his faction are ideologically superior. Perhaps that means that some of them prefer Stalin over Hitler. In any case, June should learn to appreciate what he has instead of feeling so oppressed because he can't do everything he wants, every time he wants to. Only Cato June can praise an institution that is as inerudite and feebleminded as he himself. And that's the honest truth.
NFL is for Sissies

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 12, 2008
Good point in this article. The Defensive Players in the NFL shouldn't be allowed to hit Running Backs below the waist, or above the shoulders. Just like the Quarter backs. Are you serious? This is the NFL and football is a collision sport. These guys get paid millions and millions of dollars in salary and in endorsements. I have no sympathy for anyone who gets hurt in the NFL, they are handsomly rewarded. Players and coaches who complain about this stuff wouldn't have made it past high school football 20 years ago.
Anne

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Dec 12, 2008
Why is this news.
st paul mommie

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Dec 12, 2008
THAT WAS A BYTCH AZZ MOVE. HE IS A HONEST THREAT AND THEY CAN'T HANDLE IT! STAY UP A.P. WE LOVE YOU.
Cheap shots for sissies

Santa Barbara, CA

#7 Dec 12, 2008
I thinks if it is obvious that the play was malicious that the defender should be thrown out of the league. There is no call for someone trying to purposely end someone elses career. Yeah, it's football, it should be physical, but not bush league! I think June should be called out and disciplined.
st paul mommie

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Dec 12, 2008
NFL is for Sissies wrote:
Good point in this article. The Defensive Players in the NFL shouldn't be allowed to hit Running Backs below the waist, or above the shoulders. Just like the Quarter backs. Are you serious? This is the NFL and football is a collision sport. These guys get paid millions and millions of dollars in salary and in endorsements. I have no sympathy for anyone who gets hurt in the NFL, they are handsomly rewarded. Players and coaches who complain about this stuff wouldn't have made it past high school football 20 years ago.
I disagree with you 100%, yes this is a full contact sport but there are enough manuvers to where they don't have to play dirty. My husband plays football and if he gets hurt it's a wrap, and he don't deserve this. Also high school kids watch this bull shit and try to emulate it on their feilds and kids are getting hurt! They are public figures so they need to conduct themselves in a good sportsmenship manner.
Cheap shots for sissies

Santa Barbara, CA

#9 Dec 12, 2008
st paul mommie wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with you 100%, yes this is a full contact sport but there are enough manuvers to where they don't have to play dirty. My husband plays football and if he gets hurt it's a wrap, and he don't deserve this. Also high school kids watch this bull **** and try to emulate it on their feilds and kids are getting hurt! They are public figures so they need to conduct themselves in a good sportsmenship manner.
Amen!
Aaron

Denver, CO

#10 Dec 12, 2008
Cowardice behavior to those who need to a "cheap-shot" type player. No respect! For the game or themselves. I still hope A.P. Can reach 2000yds.
ABS

Detroit Lakes, MN

#11 Dec 12, 2008
No tackling below the waist? You're nuts. D-backs like Antoine Winfield survive in these league because they're great leg-tacklers. Take that away and you'll see 265 lb fullbacks running over d-backs all day long. There are plenty of "clean" ways to tackle below the waist. Cripes, soon we'll be hanging flags on their waists and just having to grab those. Ridiculous.
Jack Hammer

Portland, OR

#12 Dec 12, 2008
Well, at least the same rules should apply as a chop-block or kick return.
Mike

Rochester, MN

#13 Dec 12, 2008
same old crap in the NFL. The commissioner should be worried about below the waist hits in the pocket on quarterbacks, and guys who simply throw themselves at runners legs because they can't learn how to tackle anyone. Answer? You get kicked out of the game for not extending your arms to make a tackle, or tackling a quarterback below the waist in the pocket. Guys who make it thru college and can't tackle don't belong in the NFL anyway. Example? Look at the tackle that destroyed Dante Culpepper's knee. It's Chris Gamble throwing himself at his legs. Why? Either he can't tackle a bigger man, or he doesn't know how to tackle.
ABS

Detroit Lakes, MN

#14 Dec 12, 2008
Jack Hammer- you're absolutely right. I'm not condoning guys going after the legs to intentionally injure someone. However, I don't think the average fan realizes how hard it is to "target" your hits. The game moves at incredible speeds. Players make amazingly quick cuts. Trying to put certain body parts off-limits is just not realistic. OK, I'll buy into the "no intentional hits to the head" rule but, other than that, it's just not reasonable to expect tacklers to be able to pinpoint the area of the ball carrier's body that they wish to hit.

“wtf”

Since: Oct 08

Isanti, MN

#15 Dec 12, 2008
I hear what your saying ABS, but in this situation there were already a crowd of Bucs on AllDay. He wasn't going to bust one. He had guys on his back, his leg, and stuffing him backwards. For June to come in and intentionally target his knee like that, in that certain situation, certainly seems nearly pre-meditated and malicious.

I usually go with the "contact sport, people get hurt, tough it out" stance, but even if this was directed at a team I didn't care about, I would call cheapshot BS. My opinion worse then Cherilious' hit on Allen, that was a speed-decision to try and protect a QB. This was something June had thought about doing, and actualyl went for it when he saw a chance. dick.
ABS

Detroit Lakes, MN

#16 Dec 12, 2008
Migz- I haven't even looked at the video of this particular play, so I don't doubt you when you say it was an intentional attempt to injure AP. If so, the guy should be fined and suspended. I'm just responding to the suggestion that defenders should generally be required to aim only for a specific area of the body. Anyone who's played or coached at any level above high school will realize that things just happen too fast for such a rule to make any sense. Anyone who takes a cheap shot with intent to injure- I'm with you- DICK.

“Get RIGHT or be left”

Since: Nov 07

www.dreamindemon.com

#17 Dec 12, 2008
I love football. I typically don't care who is playing as long as it is a hard hitting game. That is what I like about it.

That being said, that was a "cheap shot" on AP. I watched the "tackle". It would have been no different than if he had been on the ground already. I don't remember if the whistle had yet blown, but Mr. June did target the AP's knee.

It is a contact sport and sometimes people get injured. That was, in my opinion, not a necessary hit and Mr. June should be fined.
this is insane

Brookfield, WI

#18 Dec 12, 2008
good example of how the NFL will do nothing about this kind of play. They suspend our two fatest guys and let this cheap shot artist, just like little weakling al harris, go free and try to injure somone else.
jhashbar

Fargo, ND

#19 Dec 12, 2008
Cato June is nothing more than a cheap fat a-hole. What goes around comes around.. eventually something bad will happen to Cato... and he will be sorry
WOW

Park River, ND

#20 Dec 12, 2008
terrible thats stupid to try to ruin a guys carrer just stupid

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ronde Barber Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Goldson scores big Bucs (Mar '13) Mar '13 The_Solution 1
News NFL Mock Draft 2013: Todd McShay gives Kenny Va... (Mar '13) Mar '13 John 1
News Best destinations for top free agents (Mar '12) Mar '12 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris wants ... (May '10) Sep '10 drbucs 5
News Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2010: Players Who Need To ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 john w 2
News Bucs' Barber not backing off Giants comments (Jan '08) Feb '10 go there 25
News Aqib Talib Arrested: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Take ... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Junior Perez 1
More from around the web