Bucs' Alstott retires after 12 years

Bucs' Alstott retires after 12 years

There are 23 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 24, 2008, titled Bucs' Alstott retires after 12 years. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Six-time Pro Bowl fullback Mike Alstott announced his retirement after 12 seasons today, saying goodbye to the NFL during a tearful news conference in a meeting room where the Buccaneers played a highlight film ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Boiler

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jan 24, 2008
Mike was a class act both for the Boilers and the Bucs!
Not many can have the career he had.
Jared

Duncan, OK

#2 Jan 24, 2008
Heck of a player, that's for sure.

Wasn't the same the last few seasons without seeing him on the field.

His playing style will be missed!
Flip

Carmel, IN

#3 Jan 24, 2008
Congrats Mike --- thanks for the class and maturity you have displayed in a sport where it's sometimes hard to find.
Funtime

Birmingham, AL

#4 Jan 24, 2008
fo sho...Alstott was the reason I started playing football and played the fullback position in high school and college
Boiler Up

Bringhurst, IN

#5 Jan 24, 2008
I knew Mike while at Purdue. He never let his NFL career change who he was, or his core values. He is honest, hard working, personable, and made an excellent 'wingman' back in the day. I'm proud of how he represented Purdue, and himself during his career. Enjoy retirement Mike! You deserve it my man!
Be Like Mike

Arlington Heights, IL

#6 Jan 24, 2008
I remember Mike during his senior year at Purdue for the Old Oaken Bucket game. He usually had about 3 guys on each arm and still didn't go down. I watched with my mouth open in amazement. Nothin' stops the A-train!
Thanks

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jan 24, 2008
to Mike for all the good memories. I wish you well in your retirement!
BOILERDON

Vandalia, OH

#8 Jan 24, 2008
Mike Alstott came to Purdue as excellent fullback
who could gain yardage anytime, anywhere on the
football field. He performed almost flawlessly
the four years he was a Boilermaker. We heard the
stories on his work-out routine while in high
school, while at Purdue and while with Tampa Bay.
He never changed his approach to football and to
life. He was a class act on the football field and
in the game of life. What a credit to himself, to
his family, to Joliet, Ill, to Purdue and to the
Bucs! Put him into everyone's Hall of Fame!
Not Even A Sports Fan

Noblesville, IN

#10 Jan 24, 2008
Hello. Im not even a sports fan but when I was 13 my dad brought me with him to RJS in Tampa and I watched the Bucs play. Afterwards we had the opportunity to meet them and my lord a 13 year old girl had her first crush on a sports player. He spoke well, carried himself eloquently and was super nice. Had the biggest crush on him for years to follow. So while I may not know of his althetic ability I can speak for the fact that this man was an excellent role model for youth. Sad to see you go Mr Alstott. Hope your legacy gets picked up by another player.
Paul

Borden, IN

#11 Jan 24, 2008
I concur with all the above. He is a football player's football player -- a throw-back if you will. Every cliche could be used about Mike Alstott.

Sorry to see you have to leave the game, it is the lesser with out you in it Mike.

Hope to see you around Ross-Ade in the near future.
Malcolm Sturm

United States

#12 Jan 24, 2008
As a Purdue alumni, I am proud of Mike as a Boilermaker and as a professional player. He was always a gentleman and a true professional. We only wish he and his family the very best.
Fart Meterson

Muncie, IN

#13 Jan 24, 2008
He's the man. Hats off to you, sir.

I only wish he were a few years younger. Can you imagine Brees and Alstott on the same squad at Purdue? Oh, brother.
Old Roy

Newport, KY

#14 Jan 24, 2008
Alstott, was a mediocre player at purdue and was injury prone as a pro. His retirement is long overdue.
Kokomike

United States

#15 Jan 24, 2008
Congrats to a great career, Mike. Enjoy the rest.
ColtsFan

Waunakee, WI

#16 Jan 24, 2008
Can't argue with any of the comments that have been made, well except for Old Roy.

Anyway, congratulations on an exceptional career, Mike. I enjoyed watching you as a Boilermaker and always kept an eye on what you were doing in Tampa. Nice work. Enjoy!!
Darkstar

Seattle, WA

#17 Jan 24, 2008
Hey Roy, go sit and spin somewhere...

While not a premier back in the NFL, as a role player few were his equal. He most certainly represents the very best of Purdue in many ways - not just as an athlete but also a human being who always had his eye on the bigger picture and was as much unselfish as he was respected.
madchemist

Louisville, KY

#18 Jan 24, 2008
Old Roy wrote:
Alstott, was a mediocre player at purdue and was injury prone as a pro. His retirement is long overdue.
Must be sad to have such a miserable life that the only satisfaction you get is trying to tear down others.
MSA

Bethlehem, KY

#19 Jan 24, 2008
Old Roy wrote:
Once again, thanks for your insightful analysis Roy.
3600 yards rushing, 1100 receiving and 42 TD, while at Purdue. Also named an All-American and placed 11th in voting for the Heisman Trophy. He was so mediocre he was drafted with the 35th overall pick in 96 draft. Went on to six Pro Bowls, Super Bowl ring, Bucs all-time TD leader, missed a whole three games in his first 7 years before his neck injury.
Bleeding Black and Gold

United States

#20 Jan 24, 2008
Old Roy wrote:
If you have nothing nice to say, go crawl back under your rock!!

Heh

“Brain food”

Since: Jul 07

I'll have another, yes.

#21 Jan 24, 2008
You were a jem, Mike! One heck of a fullback! Enjoy retirement and the rest of what life offers.

I won't forget the great football memories!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ronde Barber Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Goldson scores big Bucs (Mar '13) Mar '13 The_Solution 1
News NFL Mock Draft 2013: Todd McShay gives Kenny Va... (Mar '13) Mar '13 John 1
News Best destinations for top free agents (Mar '12) Mar '12 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris wants ... (May '10) Sep '10 drbucs 5
News Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2010: Players Who Need To ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 john w 2
News Bucs' Barber not backing off Giants comments (Jan '08) Feb '10 go there 25
News Aqib Talib Arrested: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Take ... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Junior Perez 1