Patriots' attitude is just perfect

There are 139 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Dec 23, 2007, titled Patriots' attitude is just perfect. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

They're ruthless. That's all you can say. Because here, in the best locker room in sports, after showing how many light years the Dolphins are away from mattering, the New England Patriots didn't want to talk ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Jack

Guilford, CT

#22 Dec 24, 2007
patssukktesstes wrote:
i just cannot come to grips..I will never see the Pats as other than the hapless crappy team of years ago..when they were always last in our division..I just do not think they are really that good...I think all the other teams are really that bad....whos with me?
You sir... are insane!!
Dolfan in NOLA

United States

#23 Dec 24, 2007
Well, here's a long time Dolphins fan who agrees with Hyde, the Patriots have the right attitude to win, and the Dolphins do not. Our current team is the worst in the league. Patriots fans know how that feels. I say--as do most of the members of the '72 team--if the Pats do go all the way, welcome to the club.

The Pats have already put together a streak of wins longer than any, but there is nothing better than going an entire season undefeated. So what if another team does it? That doesn't take anything away from our doing it, and our being the first to do it, and it taking 35 years to see it matched. No matter how you feel about Bellicik or Harrision (I'm sure opponents hated Shula and Csonka and Anderson and Scott), the Pats are an excellent team right now. It doesn't help the Dolphins to pretend otherwise.

So I'm going to put on my best '72 throwback jersey, have some eggnog, hope the Pats lose in the playoffs, and wait until next year...
lol

Pompano Beach, FL

#24 Dec 24, 2007
Carl Callison wrote:
The year before the Dolphin wenrt on defeated, they were in the Super Bowl, plus not only going undefeated and winning the super bowl they went a third in row trip and won a super again. Now the patriots did not go to the super bowl last year. So they are even close to us. But they had the Dolphins as leaders for all those years. It good to see us rubbing off. It Ironic that NE is from the Dolphins divison.
Thats not what 'ironic' means dimwit.
fred

Fort Pierce, FL

#25 Dec 24, 2007
Carl Callison wrote:
The year before the Dolphin wenrt on defeated, they were in the Super Bowl, plus not only going undefeated and winning the super bowl they went a third in row trip and won a super again. Now the patriots did not go to the super bowl last year. So they are even close to us. But they had the Dolphins as leaders for all those years. It good to see us rubbing off. It Ironic that NE is from the Dolphins divison.
Go back a couple of years. The Pats in a 4 year run went to three Super Bowls and won all three. The Fins went to three in a row and won two. After that second Super Bowl win, the Fins have not won another Super Bowl.

Since: Dec 07

Destin, FL

#26 Dec 24, 2007
I like Hyde's Fins coverage and look forward to it each week. His critique is well deserved as each and every week Cam pulls a sideline boner that just makes you wonder what he is thinking (spike before the half).

I was watching an old NFL films tape, "Crunch Course" where coaches talk about what makes some players "tough gamers" and others not so much. There was a young Tuna who said he looks for a player with "bite" kinda like finding the toughest pup in a litter. You can bet that Cleo's stock went way down when he didn't go all out for the pylon. Notice that Hyde did not bring it up- the most pathetic showing of "wanting it" we've seen this year...that pup definitely has no bite.

“One never knows,do one?”

Since: Nov 07

Boston,Ma

#27 Dec 24, 2007
patssukktesstes wrote:
i just cannot come to grips..I will never see the Pats as other than the hapless crappy team of years ago..when they were always last in our division..I just do not think they are really that good...I think all the other teams are really that bad....whos with me?
probably a lot of people that are snorting,drinking, or smoking the same substances you are.
fred

Fort Pierce, FL

#28 Dec 24, 2007
Dolfan in NOLA wrote:
Well, here's a long time Dolphins fan who agrees with Hyde, the Patriots have the right attitude to win, and the Dolphins do not. Our current team is the worst in the league. Patriots fans know how that feels. I say--as do most of the members of the '72 team--if the Pats do go all the way, welcome to the club.
The Pats have already put together a streak of wins longer than any, but there is nothing better than going an entire season undefeated. So what if another team does it? That doesn't take anything away from our doing it, and our being the first to do it, and it taking 35 years to see it matched. No matter how you feel about Bellicik or Harrision (I'm sure opponents hated Shula and Csonka and Anderson and Scott), the Pats are an excellent team right now. It doesn't help the Dolphins to pretend otherwise.
So I'm going to put on my best '72 throwback jersey, have some eggnog, hope the Pats lose in the playoffs, and wait until next year...
Look up your NFL football history. Two other teams before the Fins went through the regular season undefeated.The Fins are the first to go undefeated through the regular season and playoffs.And it's much harder now because of the added regular season games and more teams. And the Pats leader is not on the rules committee like the leader was of the '72 Fins.
Dan

United States

#29 Dec 24, 2007
The Pats are special because they are all playing every down. Most NFL teams have a few players that pull the weight. It isn't the talent that seperates the teams in the NFL, it is the attitude. Play every down, every player, every coach.

You can't coach attitude. You can draft it and sign it to a degree. It all starts with the coach and the franchise. The fans can start sucking it up too and be a bit more supportive and if anything cheer louder. It is not science.

Next year, let's not get caught up in all the hype of potential. The fanbase could use a little makeover also. If you are lucky enough to go to the games, be loud and proud, even when losing. Take a page from Bear and Packer fans. Change that stupid song and get tough Dolphins.

The Patriots are daring everyone to play to their level. Is the NFL that lazy and fat? I guess so, that is the real reason Pats have been winning. Play every down, every player....

Since: Apr 07

Miami

#30 Dec 24, 2007
The Fins covered the 22 point spread.

It's the Patsies who came up short this weekend.

Since: Aug 07

Hollywood

#31 Dec 24, 2007
Im a Dolphin fan but this week I gotta say GO GIANTS. I cant stand them but they are our last hope to see the perfect season record stand.

I hope the Pats choke all week and get their butts whipped.

Boston,Ma

#32 Dec 24, 2007
Preston2 wrote:
I hope you made some cash then.
WHOLETRUTHY

AOL

#33 Dec 24, 2007
YEAH PERFECT A**HOLES

Boston,Ma

#34 Dec 24, 2007
WHOLETRUTHY wrote:
YEAH PERFECT A**HOLES
nosepick much?

Since: Jan 07

Cocoa Fl

#35 Dec 24, 2007
Just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
... or perhaps an article about a whining, envious "fan" base that at this point in the season can only derive pleasure from bashing the frontrunner who is closing in on the whiners’ most cherished record?
You've been eating that yellow snow that again, haven't you?
just wondering

Warren, VT

#36 Dec 24, 2007
cocoa joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You've been eating that yellow snow that again, haven't you?
Nice comeback, doofus.
BTW, was there a sale on the word "that"? You seem to like to throw in extras- perhap to cover up a lack of vocabulary.
just wondering

Warren, VT

#37 Dec 24, 2007
Preston2 wrote:
Enjoy your point spread "victory"!
Merry X-mas!!
MJZ

Yonkers, NY

#38 Dec 24, 2007
Bellicks approach of constant improvement is key, but the vets make the difference. Players listen to coach speak, sure, but listen and watch other players even more. Veteran leadership sets them apart, and a true sense of humility mixed in with that confidence. The Pats have not won a SB in 3 years, the vets know what it is to lose (as well as win) and guard against overconfidence at every turn.

Miami

#39 Dec 25, 2007
just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Enjoy your point spread "victory"!
Merry X-mas!!
Gamblers don't care who wins or loses. I'm a Fins fan but even I never deluded myself into thinking they could win this game. NE has only covered 2 of their last 5 monster spreads, and Miami has a history of playing them close, so I figured what the hell.

And happy holidays to you too.

Miami

#40 Dec 25, 2007
Dan wrote:
The Pats are special because they are all playing every down. Most NFL teams have a few players that pull the weight. It isn't the talent that seperates the teams in the NFL, it is the attitude. Play every down, every player, every coach.
You know, ordinarily that's just locker room BS, "we're gonna go out there and do what we gotta do" and "it's all about the team" and "we're gonna give it 110%", junk like that, designed to pump up the players but essentially meaningless, but Belichick is a genius in that he spun that whole spying incident at the beginning of the season, and the subsequent penalties, into a major positive, using the "Us against the world" mentality to drive his players. Every game, every down, crush the hell out of everyone. Up by 30? Doesn't matter. Never let up. They're playing for more than a game check, they're proving to the world that they don't need some stupid videos to win ball games!

I think you can coach attitude, and that this undefeated team is in part a result of a very resourceful head coach finding a great way to use pride as a motivator.

That said, I truly hope they get bounced out of the playoffs. Any record that can stand for 35 years deserves to stand for much longer.

Boston,Ma

#41 Dec 25, 2007
Preston2 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, ordinarily that's just locker room BS, "we're gonna go out there and do what we gotta do" and "it's all about the team" and "we're gonna give it 110%", junk like that, designed to pump up the players but essentially meaningless, but Belichick is a genius in that he spun that whole spying incident at the beginning of the season, and the subsequent penalties, into a major positive, using the "Us against the world" mentality to drive his players. Every game, every down, crush the hell out of everyone. Up by 30? Doesn't matter. Never let up. They're playing for more than a game check, they're proving to the world that they don't need some stupid videos to win ball games!
I think you can coach attitude, and that this undefeated team is in part a result of a very resourceful head coach finding a great way to use pride as a motivator.
That said, I truly hope they get bounced out of the playoffs. Any record that can stand for 35 years deserves to stand for much longer.
Like a poster said on another forum, it is a statistic and not a record. The '72 dolphins will always be an undefeated team.Whoever does it again will just be another undefeated team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rodney Harrison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Versatility fuels Patriots 'D' Jan '15 Brady Boner Bonanza 4
News Vince Wilfork's Request To Be Released An Unfor... (Mar '14) Mar '14 cooldude12 2
News Broncos defend Wes Welker hit on Aqib Talib (Jan '14) Jan '14 JanitorIII 3
News How the New England Patriots Became the NFL's B... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Patsfan4life 1
News Is the Championship Window Closed for Tom Brady... (Feb '13) Feb '13 pats til i die 1
News Patriots' win was so easy, it's scary (Dec '12) Dec '12 Bewitched 2
News Patriots embody American values (Feb '08) Dec '11 skidrow wilson 24
More from around the web