Grossman does well in no-huddle

Grossman does well in no-huddle

There are 45 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 2, 2007, titled Grossman does well in no-huddle. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Eli Manning looked like a young Rex Grossman for most of the first three quarters Sunday, throwing interceptions he knew were bad throws the instant they left his hand and fumbling for no apparent reason.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Nov 07

United States

#44 Dec 4, 2007
EDP wrote:
We lost a very tough game, but Rex did everything he could. Lets see if we can improve next week...Go Bears
I agree.

And Ron Turner's killing us left and right. In the games where the offense is slow taking off - he doesn't make changes.

But in the one game, we go no-huddle, Rex goes 5/5 against the # 1 pass rush in the league to go down and score - he stops and changes it back to the same old crap. Only in the last few seconds of the game did we get back to a no-huddle. What is it with this guy?

Turner needs to get fired.

And personally, I would love to see the Bears try to run a no-huddle for most of the game, like the Colts and Pats do at times. Grossman called the plays beautifully and made the Giants pass rush and secondary look pitiful. I just can't understand why we stopped!
An old Bears fan

Elkhart, IN

#45 Dec 4, 2007
I think the folks that consistently bash Grossman do so because itís fun, not because their arguments are based on reality. I was a huge Grossman fan when he was brought in, and I even supported him through his injuries, and I too wished him benched when he turned the ball over every 12 plays. But since his benching, and much more importantly his decision to ignore everything but his play, heís performed as we all hoped he would. No one can argue with his numbers since his return.

All of you cursing Grossman donít say much about our ever increasing number of dropped, catchable balls. How many were there Sunday? 6? 8? I know Aikman said throughout the game that Rex needed to step up into the pocket to avoid the rush, but there wasnít anywhere for him to step up. 8 men in the box and very few plays with TEís on the field doesnít help either. The top QBís have plays available to them to attack situations like this, but Turner doesnít use any of them. His answer since he got here is to run wide receiver screens and the most blatant reverses ever run. Hasnít the man ever seen a quick left or right slant?

Which of course leads to how itís obvious to anyone watching that Turner is incapable of calling a game, and heís a pass happy coordinator on a run oriented team. Granted, to get those 8 men out of that box, you spread the field, but the receivers have to actually catch the ball. I also find it kinda amusing that we can sit at home watching a game and understand the basics of ball control and time management, but the entire Bears staff canít. This makes me feel grossly underpaid. Why does the entire coaching staff talk about implementing different plays, but never actually run them? Or, when weíre lucky, run them once? Why only one deep ball to Hester after it seemed to work so well the first time? Granted, he didnít catch it, but does anyone think he wouldnít have been able to outrun the coverage and make the catch if given a second chance? And does anyone honestly believe Griese could have thrown that ball?

Griese is not our savior by a long shot. Please stop praising him as one! His passes float, which is why he checks down every play. Heís a fantastic back up QB, and the Bears are lucky to have him in that role, but donít make him someone heís not. OrtonÖ I canít say. No one else can either. I do think he should be offered a quarter here & there after the Bears are mathematically eliminated, but not started. But of course, if he walks onto the field and all of a sudden the receivers stop dropping balls and the line blocks for him and heís learned to check down, then I say let him start one and take it from there.

But make no mistake about it folks; Grossman is the best QB the Bears have had in a couple decades. When heís given the chance to play like a top QB, heís done it. When heís given less than 3 seconds in the pocket, and no quick slant plays in the playbook, what can you really expect? Lay off the QB position when itís obviously not the cause of this years collapse.

Iíd talk about the defense, but it brings a tear to my eye when I do.

Since: Nov 07

United States

#46 Dec 4, 2007
An old Bears fan wrote:
I think the folks that consistently bash Grossman do so because itís fun, not because their arguments are based on reality. I was a huge Grossman fan when he was brought in, and I even supported him through his injuries, and I too wished him benched when he turned the ball over every 12 plays. But since his benching, and much more importantly his decision to ignore everything but his play, heís performed as we all hoped he would. No one can argue with his numbers since his return.
All of you cursing Grossman donít say much about our ever increasing number of dropped, catchable balls. How many were there Sunday? 6? 8? I know Aikman said throughout the game that Rex needed to step up into the pocket to avoid the rush, but there wasnít anywhere for him to step up. 8 men in the box and very few plays with TEís on the field doesnít help either. The top QBís have plays available to them to attack situations like this, but Turner doesnít use any of them. His answer since he got here is to run wide receiver screens and the most blatant reverses ever run. Hasnít the man ever seen a quick left or right slant?
Which of course leads to how itís obvious to anyone watching that Turner is incapable of calling a game, and heís a pass happy coordinator on a run oriented team. Granted, to get those 8 men out of that box, you spread the field, but the receivers have to actually catch the ball. I also find it kinda amusing that we can sit at home watching a game and understand the basics of ball control and time management, but the entire Bears staff canít. This makes me feel grossly underpaid. Why does the entire coaching staff talk about implementing different plays, but never actually run them? Or, when weíre lucky, run them once? Why only one deep ball to Hester after it seemed to work so well the first time? Granted, he didnít catch it, but does anyone think he wouldnít have been able to outrun the coverage and make the catch if given a second chance? And does anyone honestly believe Griese could have thrown that ball?
Griese is not our savior by a long shot. Please stop praising him as one! His passes float, which is why he checks down every play. Heís a fantastic back up QB, and the Bears are lucky to have him in that role, but donít make him someone heís not. OrtonÖ I canít say. No one else can either. I do think he should be offered a quarter here & there after the Bears are mathematically eliminated, but not started. But of course, if he walks onto the field and all of a sudden the receivers stop dropping balls and the line blocks for him and heís learned to check down, then I say let him start one and take it from there.
But make no mistake about it folks; Grossman is the best QB the Bears have had in a couple decades. When heís given the chance to play like a top QB, heís done it. When heís given less than 3 seconds in the pocket, and no quick slant plays in the playbook, what can you really expect? Lay off the QB position when itís obviously not the cause of this years collapse.
Iíd talk about the defense, but it brings a tear to my eye when I do.
Most intelligent post yet.

Thankyou.

“nyc!”

Since: Dec 07

nyc!

#47 Dec 14, 2007
KYLE ORTON!
Done

Chicago, IL

#48 Dec 14, 2007
Couple of decades?
I guess you forgot about Erik Kramer.
2006 RG 24th in league 23td's 20int's 73.9% QB rating
1995 EK 4th in league 29td's 10int's 93.5% QB rating
btw, guess who his O-coordinator was that year.
Also in the past 10 years the Bears have had 3 QB's with a higher QB rating then Rex did in 06
Erik Kramer in 97 & 98
Shane Matthews in 99
Jim Miller in 01 & 02

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roberto Garza Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bears LB McClellin to miss Packers game (Sep '14) Oct '14 Rob 7
News Chicago Bears Training Camp is officially Open (Jul '14) Jul '14 Cyfarts 3
News Lovie Smith and the Draft (Apr '14) Apr '14 Pads and use 2
News Bears reach deal with De La Puente (Apr '14) Apr '14 DeLaPuto 1
News Sympathy and support at fundraiser to help McHe... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Shelly Wallin 1
News Chicago Bears Week 8 Milk Carton (Oct '12) Oct '12 Code Word 2
News Bears ditch tough talk after loss to Packers, g... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Poo Piles 4
More from around the web