NFL on hold as players study deal OK'd by owners

Jul 22, 2011 Full story: Palm Beach Post 11

The Dolphins are hoping to begin the 2011 season as soon as possible. They have a month to learn a new offensive playbook and must make up for all the time missed in May and June because of the NFL lockout.

Read more

Since: Apr 07

ridgefarm Il

#1 Jul 23, 2011
Its beginning to sound like the players need to be reminded of what life working in the real world is like.

Since: Feb 08

Mechanicsburg, PA

#2 Jul 23, 2011
Tom Loy wrote:
Its beginning to sound like the players need to be reminded of what life working in the real world is like.
Amen to that.
Real

United States

#3 Jul 25, 2011
Yes, they should just sign the contract without reviewing the fine print and get screwed for the next 10 years

Mechanicsburg, PA

#4 Jul 25, 2011
Real wrote:
Yes, they should just sign the contract without reviewing the fine print and get screwed for the next 10 years
Please tell me you would not want to get 'screwed' like that. Playing football (a sport you played as a child) and getting paid millions, vaulting you on to personal lifetime stardom beyond belief for the rest of your life, in a world of 6 billion people, many of whom will just be happy to wakeup in the morning.

Sorry, I don't buy the 'screwed' idea of an adult being able to continue his childhood fantasy on into his 20's to late 30's while being given all the wealth needed to sculpt and secure a second life of comfort after doing so.

Even the ones that don't play long in the league, are given a path to living a very comfortable life because they merely can attach their name to it.

There was nothing close to being screwed. It was just a matter of millions in a world where after so much, it doesn't matter how many. If it does, your living your life wrong.
KD4ZIP

United States

#5 Jul 25, 2011
Exactly who is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to play pro ball? They are free to quit and go work in a cubicle for $60K / year anytime they want.
Real wrote:
Life farts

United States

#6 Jul 25, 2011
Jopa-n wrote:
<quoted text>Please tell me you would not want to get 'screwed' like that. Playing football (a sport you played as a child) and getting paid millions, vaulting you on to personal lifetime stardom beyond belief for the rest of your life, in a world of 6 billion people, many of whom will just be happy to wakeup in the morning.
Sorry, I don't buy the 'screwed' idea of an adult being able to continue his childhood fantasy on into his 20's to late 30's while being given all the wealth needed to sculpt and secure a second life of comfort after doing so.
Even the ones that don't play long in the league, are given a path to living a very comfortable life because they merely can attach their name to it.
There was nothing close to being screwed. It was just a matter of millions in a world where after so much, it doesn't matter how many. If it does, your living your life wrong.
Ok, then stop supporting them as a fan
Theyfarts

United States

#7 Jul 25, 2011
KD4ZIP wrote:
Exactly who is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to play pro ball? They are free to quit and go work in a cubicle for $60K / year anytime they want.
<quoted text>
No one....next

Mechanicsburg, PA

#8 Jul 25, 2011
Life farts wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, then stop supporting them as a fan
I never supported 'them'. I support the game, no matter who plays it. Granted,'they', which includes owners and coaches as well as players, can effect how much 'support' I give it,(I) as one of the fans, determine just how much support they get in the end.

The fans determine the value of the game, not the players or anyone else. Don't believe me, try holding a league where nobody pays to get in to see the games. See how big your league gets.
Getsfarts

United States

#9 Jul 25, 2011
They are all greedy, so we all pay their salaries to watch them. Coaches, players, owners......

Mechanicsburg, PA

#10 Jul 25, 2011
Getsfarts wrote:
They are all greedy, so we all pay their salaries to watch them. Coaches, players, owners......
Which is why they need to remember the OVERALL popularity of the game, in the end will be the decider in the overall wealth of the sport.
Wealthfarts

Katy, TX

#11 Jul 25, 2011
They should play for free then

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richie Incognito Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bills' Incognito: 'I'm not a racist jerk' Mar 6 Foot Fetish Coaching 8
News Richie Incognito, Buffalo Bills agree on contract Feb '15 Rossturbates 30
News Bills to sign Incognito, key figure in bullying... Feb '15 Mike 1
News Dolphins' credo on T-shirts after bullying scandal (Aug '14) Aug '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Pouncey hears from Dolphins GM about tweet (May '14) Jun '14 Dolphin on a bun 5
News Dolphins pick up Pouncey's option (Apr '14) Apr '14 Bouncey Pouncey 4
News NFL meetings notebook: Philbin to improve cultu... (Mar '14) Apr '14 Coming to America 4
More from around the web