Dave Hyde: Unlike FSU and UF, UM stay...

Dave Hyde: Unlike FSU and UF, UM stays off police blotter

There are 284 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from May 28, 2009, titled Dave Hyde: Unlike FSU and UF, UM stays off police blotter. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Sure, the e-mails are coming. I knew they would. Several a day. A couple of dozen in a week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
gatorjam

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 May 28, 2009
Meyer has kicked off the team everyone that has been arrested and a majority have had their charges dropped. Shannon can't afford to have any of his players arrested after the brawl with FIU, I am sure he has them on a tight leash after that incident.
Ryan

United States

#2 May 28, 2009
Ive yet to hear about a UF player hitting a woman. If you're referring to the bogus Carl Johnson story you would be wrong sir. Johnson was proven innocent in a court of law, as the girls story was changed about 5-6 times. You know sorta like that nut in San Fran who happens to be Speaker of the House.
Freddie

Gainesville, FL

#3 May 28, 2009
Does Miami still have a football team?
Gator4life

Orlando, FL

#4 May 28, 2009
Actually last year their was a player that hit his girl friend and was kicked off the team right away. Why didn't the writer of the article post what was done to these players to show who has control of the programs. Shannon has done a great job of turning his programs problems around and dose deserve credit.
UF Fan

Miami, FL

#5 May 28, 2009
Ryan wrote:
Ive yet to hear about a UF player hitting a woman. If you're referring to the bogus Carl Johnson story you would be wrong sir. Johnson was proven innocent in a court of law, as the girls story was changed about 5-6 times. You know sorta like that nut in San Fran who happens to be Speaker of the House.
No, there was some irrelevant, walk-on that got arrests a week or so ago. The guy who got arrested had never seen the field.

Oh, well, as long the sole fan of Duh Ewe feels better, let them celebrate their silly "victory."

In the mean time, we'll spend our time getting ready to win our third BCS Championship in four years.

If you could find a Duh Ewe fan, ask them what position they would rather be in....

Dealing with the arrest of a non-scholarship, walk-on while anticipating another BCS Championship or having Whhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaady Shannon as a coach.
5rings

Miami Beach, FL

#6 May 28, 2009
Randy has made sure that the Canes stay out of the news altogether. Can't even win in the Athletically Challenged Conference.
3rdworld

Hollywood, FL

#7 May 28, 2009
U of M football = soccer right?
Walt Morris

Indianapolis, IN

#8 May 28, 2009
Urban Liar 24 arrests in the last 4 years ! Wow! He will be in South Bend after this season when Charlie has another below average season with top 10 talent! Miami will soon be on top again, our freshman team last year down 9-3 to the Great Gators when they got the bail-out call of all time at the beginning of the 4th! Miami 5 national tiles the gator 3! Canes 6 out of the last 7 wins vs the gator- i still think we have a team! As long as Timmy never leaves the gator will have one to!
hahahahah

United States

#10 May 28, 2009
hahahahah GAYtor fans. Have such a short memory. and such little brains. Until you get on our level and have 5 rings on your fingers, take a walk. Remember, DAAA U still and always will have the title as "the most decorated football program in the state"....You know why??? Because we are, and im sure thats soooo hard for you GAYtor fans to swallow.
Almighty airwaves

United States

#11 May 28, 2009
This article is about how bad the Canes were when they were good, and now the same "phenomenon" has shown up in Gainesville. This is a media slant at its finest.

Gainesville wrote the book on how to cheat, why not ask Charley Pell and Galan Hall about their reputations?

Instead we get to read that FIU sucker punched UM all night in a game the officials let brew over and then executed one of that team's stars: PATa and then there was the time when...

The SS must be going broke and can't afford a better columnist who knows how to research his topic.

And to give FSU a pass on its reputation with all the NCAA violations from free tests to free shoes to free agents to one criminole after another spending time in state custody is a complete joke.

The ONLY reason UM gets kicked around by the national media is because it is an ivy league class university who happens to be able to compete on its playing fields. The media operatives are from the IVY league NORTH and their teams never win.

On the local scale, sports media in Tallahassee and Gainesville have themselves graduated from state school systems.
what2

Roseau, Dominica

#12 May 28, 2009
Thank you. It's amazing the double standard and how such serious crimes that have taken place in gainesville have been swept under the rug.
Darrin

Wilmington, NC

#13 May 28, 2009
Walt Morris wrote:
Urban Liar 24 arrests in the last 4 years ! Wow! He will be in South Bend after this season when Charlie has another below average season with top 10 talent! Miami will soon be on top again, our freshman team last year down 9-3 to the Great Gators when they got the bail-out call of all time at the beginning of the 4th! Miami 5 national tiles the gator 3! Canes 6 out of the last 7 wins vs the gator- i still think we have a team! As long as Timmy never leaves the gator will have one to!
How sad Duh Ewe fans have gotten PRAYING that Urban leaves for Notre Dame. Or saying Florida will fall apart after He15man leaves. Obviously they forget that Meyer won the championship in his 2nd year with Chris Leak as his starting QB. Keep the "Baby Canes" excuses down too since Florida had a younger team than Miami did last year. Please keep Shannon as long as possible. Please.
UF Fan

Miami, FL

#15 May 28, 2009
hahahahah wrote:
hahahahah GAYtor fans. Have such a short memory. and such little brains. Until you get on our level and have 5 rings on your fingers, take a walk. Remember, DAAA U still and always will have the title as "the most decorated football program in the state"....You know why??? Because we are, and im sure thats soooo hard for you GAYtor fans to swallow.
The Minnesota Golden Gophers football team has 6 national championships. And, guess what, they're completely irrelevant.

Similarly, Duh Ewe won four of their national championships before the BCS and before most college kids of today were even born.

Consider this; back when Duh Ewe was winning most of their five rings:

- Only a few obscure researchers had access to the Internet

- Only the very rich had cell phones and they were either bolted into their cars or they carried them around in suit cases.

- The USSR and German Democratic Republic still existed.

- Obama was still in law school.

- Compact Discs was a new technology. We still rented VHS tapes. Betamax still had a following.

- The Orange Bowl still existed. And the Duh Ewe didn't share a field with the Marlins -- because the Marlins didn't exist.

Others feel free to join in!
Urban

Hialeah, FL

#16 May 28, 2009
Unlike FSU and UF, UM stays off police blotter

UM also stays off the polls, legitimate bowl games, national championship consideration, the minds of top tier recruits. Way to go "u".
Gatorfan

Scottsdale, AZ

#17 May 28, 2009
hahahahah wrote:
Leave it to a sad cane fan to be so bitter that they have to resort to name calling. I guess I would be that bitter if I were a cane fan. Luckly, I was raised a Gator. GO GATORS!!!!
Crocko

United States

#18 May 28, 2009
Sorry fellow Gator fans...
You can't slant 24 arrests. "24" arrests are you kidding me? All the problems at UF are pushed to the side by the media because of the untouchable Tebow. "Gator Fans" remember this...when Tebow leaves and the next football player gets arrested (and you know one will) ESPN/ SI will come after this program. The Gators will no longer be the darlings of college football, just that program with "24" arrests. Scratch that- 25 arrests and counting. When this happens, Myers will definietly leave. What is really being done about this?
ANNE

Washington, DC

#19 May 28, 2009
all you have to do is get si on net and under ncaa football.look at the headlines. day after day, school after school, mentions wrong doers. this isn't confined to fla schools. but this article does point out, quite correctly, the double standard--which the media doesn't confine to sports. here your on your own ladies and gents to do your own research and lotsa reading.
Tim

Hialeah, FL

#20 May 28, 2009
Canes Rule wrote:
<quoted text>right on brother!!! Gayters swallow!! GO CANES!!
"Canes rule"? Do they "rule"? I don't think they do. I think they suck a steamy a s s nugget. I hope Shannon stays forever so I may continue watching that a s s nuggety mess you call a football team.
How dumb

Coral Gables, FL

#21 May 28, 2009
Urban says top 1% of 1%???? Was he referencing being in the top 1% of 1% of arrests in the nation for college football teams? I can't wait till he leaves UF high and dry...and on probation.

I think it's hilarious to hear the gaytor fans defend their players' actions...24 arrests in 4 years? Seriously? How can you defend that? What about all of the guys who failed drug tests but weren't arrested? That might push that number to 40.

Gaytor fans are just jealous that the Canes own the NFL and their players take a back seat in the league. I'll name my top 5, you can name yours...
1. Ray Lewis
2. Ed Reed
3. Clinton Portis
4. Reggie Wayne
5. Andre Johnson

Whats hilarious is I'd venture to say that Miami's 11-15 NFL players would be better than UF's 1-5. Hahaha. Who's #1 for UF right now? Fred Taylor? Does he even have a job in the league right now?
tttt

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 May 28, 2009
amen...someone finally wrote a real story!!!!!!!!!! thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richard Goodman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Turner trying not to let heat get to him (Oct '12) Oct '12 Hkyman52 1
News KR/PR Roscoe Parrish Signs With the Oakland Rai... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Neo Sporin 5
News Richard Goodman of Florida State University fac... (May '09) Jun '09 Meh 2
News Florida State WR Richard Goodman arrested after... (May '09) Jun '09 ART DECO MAN 37
News Florida State delays start of spring football p... (Mar '09) Mar '09 Austin 3
News FSU suspends 5 players for Boston College game (Nov '08) Nov '08 Thug U 21
News Five Fla. State WRs suspended for BC game (Nov '08) Nov '08 Literaly Incredible 2
More from around the web