Sugar Bowl Preview: Why Georgia Will Beat Hawaii

Dec 10, 2007 Full story: BleacherReport 170

“Random guy with a hyphen in his last name”

Sure, there was plenty of talk about Georgia's title game chances--but that was wishful thinking more than anything else. via BleacherReport

Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“Georgia Bulldogs are #1!!!!!!!”

Since: Jan 08

Marietta, GA

#162 Jan 2, 2008
kawika c, you got your post in before mine, so I have to give you props.

Hawaii's got a LONG way to go before they can stand in the same class as Georgia, but the camaraderie that Hawaii exhibits, and the way your entire state follows your team (not that they have much choice), says something. Mahalo for your courage... e como mai :)

“Dave C in Hawaii”

Since: Oct 07

Makakilo, Hawaii

#163 Jan 2, 2008
Silverdawg, I'm here to take my beating. I just wanted to respond to T-Town though. If UH played in the SEC (actually a geographic impossibility) they'd have SEC facilities, recruiting budget, etc. So it's kinda hard to speculate what kind of season Hawaii would have there.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#164 Jan 2, 2008
kawika c wrote:
Silverdawg, I'm here to take my beating. I just wanted to respond to T-Town though. If UH played in the SEC (actually a geographic impossibility) they'd have SEC facilities, recruiting budget, etc. So it's kinda hard to speculate what kind of season Hawaii would have there.
you make a great point I was just messin with you guys ! I respect the hell outta your whole program and I love the way they play even when the game is outta reach they kept playing hard . I went to the game last year when they came to Tuscaloosa good luck next year have fun ...

“Dave C in Hawaii”

Since: Oct 07

Makakilo, Hawaii

#165 Jan 2, 2008
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you make a great point I was just messin with you guys ! I respect the hell outta your whole program and I love the way they play even when the game is outta reach they kept playing hard . I went to the game last year when they came to Tuscaloosa good luck next year have fun ...
Though I believe (hypothetically) if UH played in the SEC, no way they go 12-0 unless they were exceptionally good, because I know it's tough enough to win that conference, let alone OOC games. BTW, my dad went to the Alabama game last year and said you fans are the best, friendliest bunch he's seen, and was invited to tailgate with some of you. My dad is retired from an airline and lucky bastard has flight benefits, so goes to almost all UH road games. Georgia fans have been for the most part very gracious on these boards, but I've gotta say, and this is no slag on their team, just the fans, Florida has the trashiest talkers. Anyway, thanks for taking it easy on me Silverdawg and T-Town.
DrewC

Greenville, MS

#166 Jan 2, 2008
Nobody in the SEC goes 12-0. It is very rare. Auburn did it a few years ago and got passed up for the NC game. That is why Georgia did not let up last night. The recreation of the famous Boise State game was a mistake by the BCS. Georgia should have been playing USC. Hawaii had a great season and I was glad to see them go to a bowl game, and for them to get there was a great accomplishment. I hope the fans enjoyed New Orleans.
wtvr

Alpharetta, GA

#167 Jan 2, 2008
Warriors Come Out To Play wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHA.........Still bitter about the 1992 Holiday bowl when you fools got WAC'd by Hawaii. By the way, we EARNED our way to the BCS this year, you guys are lucky that Georgia is not in the Rose Bowl because that was the only way you would be in the BCS game. You guys sucked and brown nosed your way in to that game.
this is why yall lost. how could you be so cocky with all the facts in your face. it was as sure as death and taxes that hawaii was gonna get their butts whipped. The teams Hawaii play against suck. They don't deserve to be in the sugar owl. they don't deserve to be #10. I feel sorry for the Dawgs having to play such a weak team for the work they've done this season. WAC SUCKS!
wtvr

Alpharetta, GA

#168 Jan 2, 2008
808Pearl wrote:
McLovin and DrewC; let me ask you this since you two seems to belong to a better conference that the WAC. Do you think that the WAC is much better than the Sun Belt Conference; do you think so?
Well, many sports pundits say that the Sun Belt is the lowest of the lowest in D-1 conference. And SEC feeds on them for their yearly wins.
Now, you two experts, let me ask you this, do you think that the WARRIORS are a much better team than Troy? Most of the people that knows football do. Do you two know football?
Now, let me refresh your mind about Georgias losses. They lost to Tennessee because Eric Ainge pass the Georgia defense silly. Florida who has the Heisman Trophy winner named Tebow pass the Georgia defense silly. Remember those two losses?
Well Troy of the Sun Belt also passes the ball most of the game. A team that belong to the Sun Belt conference that have the lowest Strength of Schedule, much lower than the WAC teams.
So, do you remember the score gentleman of BCS teams? Georgia barely beat Troy by a touchdown. By a touchdown.
Hawaii and COLT Brennan have a better offense. They also have a better defense than Troy and Hawaii is much more physical.
Now, do you still feel that Hawaii have no chance to win this game?
They didn't lose against the Gators dummy they pummeled them. they lost gainst South Carolina by a few.
808Pearl

Sugar Land, TX

#169 Jan 2, 2008
I'm in Texas right now and heading home tommorrow.

I haven't read a lot of you naysayers "I told you so" response but here's mine.

Hats off to the winner, Georgia Bulldogs. Your strength, speed and definitely a statement for all you BCS lovers definitely, was drilled to our Warrior Football team. OUCH!

But, we won't let you dance around and gloat too long. Your budget pays for those players and your SEC teams are still prejudiced.

I've seen that first hand and experienced it first hand. I'm here in Texas on my way back home. I'm still proud of what we've accomplished and proud that we have opened doors for other teams to have a dream like ours. Pretty soon, the door that opens only to BCS teams will be wide open for others to play in.

We'll be there again and like lessons learned, preparation is very important. I think the team we're given a lot of freedom and some we're not ready to play. Our defense played their heart out trying to help the offense that we're overwhelmed. The next time we will not party too much when there's a lot at stake.

Today, I give you my CONGRATULATIONS! The dogs made a statement and I'd like to join the party as a witness that they deserve to be in the National Championship. ALOHA...GO WARRIORS!!!
Taylor

Cumming, GA

#170 Jan 2, 2008
Warriors Come Out To Play wrote:
<quoted text>
This is exactly what we want you to do. It will spell your doom. No one for the past 2 years have been able to stop Hawaii's offense. Everyone thinks this is the answer....hehehe....so keep on thinking that. The only way to stop Hawaii is to play fast break football with Hawaii. The only team to stop us is us. Remember this.
Oh, I see what you're saying now. NOT. The did exactly wat I said they would do: run against that soft, undersized Hawaii defense.

“Georgia Bulldogs are #1!!!!!!!”

Since: Jan 08

Marietta, GA

#171 Jan 3, 2008
Never thought I'd ever read a post by 808Pearl giving my Dawgs credit, but I applaud your willingness to say what many other Hawaii fans aren't or won't; good on you for doing so!

As a Georgia fan, I will always stand with fellow fans and support the Dawgs no matter what. To say I was disappointed they didn't get to play in the BCS Championship game couldn't be more understated, but there were other deserving teams who deserved a shot too: USC, W. Virginia, Oklahoma, and Virginia Tech to name a few. Granted, Oklahoma lost BIG last night, but I'm talking about how these teams stood at the end of the season. The sad fact remains that either Ohio State or LSU will be crowned king of college football following the game Monday night. I think you all know what I'm getting at here playoff!

I know many say that it will never happen, but I don't accept that logic as there are too many fans, players, coaches, sportswriters, commentators, commissioners, etc. who want one, so I believe that in the next decade, it will happen. There have been too many seasons where we've all been left scratching our heads wondering why this team or that one was left out; unless you end up with a perfect ending to a regular season where there are two undefeated teams - WITH LEGITIMATE SCHEDULES - then you're always going to wonder if USC could have beaten Georgia, if W. Virginia could have beaten LSU, if Ohio State could have beaten Virginia Tech, etc.

Dan Wetzel wrote an interesting article called "The Wetzel Plan" on Yahoo! Sports a month or so ago about a playoff scenario involving 16 teams to include conference champions and some at large teams. ESPN even had a playoff simulator where the teams were seeded using the different polls. I know Jim Delaney of the Big 10 (11) Conference doesn't want a playoff, but I think it's mostly because he knows that the SEC would end up with at least two teams (maybe even three) in the final four.

I digress again... sorry!

Hawaii played their hearts out Tuesday night and didn't quit the whole game; there was a lot of pride there. When I saw the fans and band going berserk when Hawaii finally got into the endzone, I was tempted to shake my head, but it was good to see they hadn't deserted their team they'd traveled so far to support. My hat’s off to y’all. Good luck in 2008; you’re going to need it on August 30th when you go to the swamp to play Florida...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rennie Curran Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Georgia's Curran going pro (Feb '10) Feb '10 Karen Mitchell 1
Curran, Jones Leaving Bulldogs For NFL Draft (Jan '10) Feb '10 Coca-Cola Fan 2
Georgia tabs Grantham to run defense (Jan '10) Feb '10 18andDumb 48
Bulldogs doomed by mistakes, fall to Vols 45-19 (Oct '09) Oct '09 Dee-J-Lee 1
Georgia responds with energeric practice (Nov '08) Nov '08 yeagators 1
7 hitsDon't try this act vs. LSU (Oct '08) Oct '08 Dee-J-Lee 1
Rennie Curran emerges as big playmaker on defense (Sep '08) Sep '08 brookwood high sc... 1
•••
•••

Rennie Curran People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••