Sugar Bowl Preview: Why Georgia Will ...

Sugar Bowl Preview: Why Georgia Will Beat Hawaii

There are 170 comments on the BleacherReport story from Dec 10, 2007, titled Sugar Bowl Preview: Why Georgia Will Beat Hawaii. In it, BleacherReport reports that:

“Random guy with a hyphen in his last name”

Sure, there was plenty of talk about Georgia's title game chances--but that was wishful thinking more than anything else. via BleacherReport

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BleacherReport.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Al Leighton

Fairbanks, AK

#1 Dec 11, 2007
It is just too danged bad that the NCAA "football establishment" views Hawaii as --- AN UNWANTED STEPCHILD AND COLT BRENNAN AS THE ILLEGITIMATE CHILD OF THAT UNWANTED STEPCHILD"
But its all about the money ain't it boys?
The Heisman vote reminds me of the past couple of presidential elections.
I pray that Hawaii comes out clicking in the Sugar Bowl and can stuff it to a bunch of elitists.
Dan S

Branford, FL

#2 Dec 11, 2007
It's plain and simple why Georgia SHOULD beat Hawaii.
1. Knowshon Moreno. This kid is the next coming of Herschel Walker, and Hawaii's defense won't know what to do with him. If he could rack up more than 1,000 yards in the SEC as a FRESHMAN, imagine what he'll do against Hawaii (defense is definitely not the strong suit).
2. Georgia's defense is pretty damn good. Really, the only team who put up a lot of points on them was Tennessee. The D-Line will make Brennan extremely uncomfortable, and the secondary won't get torched as easily as San Jose State's.
3. Georgia knows what it's like to play on the big stage. Hawaii has never been in a game of this magnitude before. Plus, it's in Atlanta. Uh-oh.
John Orting WA

AOL

#3 Dec 11, 2007
That's why the game is played on the field and not in the chat rooms. I 'am a Warrior fan, I was born and raised in Hawaii. Yes the Warriors schedule was not of SEC standards. Kansas schedule was not up to Big 12 standards. But look what both teams accomplished, Warriors 12-0, Jay hawks 11-1. These two teams no one cared about at the begging of the season. May be they should have played each other since Georgia thinks they should be in the big game. These two schools are happy to be in the BCS bowl games. I don't understand why the Bulldogs are complaining, win, lose or draw their getting paid. Look at Missouri they lose the big 12 championship and no BCS game. If Georgia thinks Hawaii is not worthy, then Georgia should switch place's with Missouri. I am sure Missouri would love to get paid $4.5 million for their program. I know Hawaii is extremely happy to get the $4.5 million regardless of who they play. So Bulldog fans stop complaining, your team will get to the championship game next year. Appreciate what you have instead of complaining what you should went out and get. If you won those 2 games you would be in the championship game. For the Warriors, a hell of a season. Guys , great job. This is the difference between football on the mainland and in Hawaii, mainland teams represent their schools, the Warriors represent the State of Hawaii. So we have love for the Warriors whether their 0-12 or 12-0. Imua Warriors play your hearts out and let the best team that day win.
Hawaii Fan

Downingtown, PA

#4 Dec 11, 2007
Al Leighton wrote:
It is just too danged bad that the NCAA "football establishment" views Hawaii as --- AN UNWANTED STEPCHILD AND COLT BRENNAN AS THE ILLEGITIMATE CHILD OF THAT UNWANTED STEPCHILD"
I pray that Hawaii comes out clicking in the Sugar Bowl and can stuff it to a bunch of elitists.
Tebow deserved the Heisman. He was the best player.

Brennan is, though, the best quarterback in college football. He should have won the quarterback awards, but didn't. That's where the real injustice was.

In any case, I also hope that Hawaii wins. I am tired of the disrespect we get. Many people just don't see enough of us to realize how good we really are. I believe we are strong enough to beat any team in the nation. Seriously.

And not enough credit is given to Bess, Gryce-Mullen, and Rivers. They are phenomenal.
808Pearl

Honolulu, HI

#5 Dec 11, 2007
DAN S of Branford, Florida and his BCS Boys will soon find out if they still can keep their good 'ol boys club. READ ALL YOU BCS Bull Shiters'

BILL PROPOSAL TO DECLARE BCS UNCONSTITUTIONAL

Insisting the Division I-A postseason format does not provide justice for all, Hawai'i Rep. Neil Abercrombie is prepared to propose a bill that would declare the Bowl Championship Series as unconstitutional and call for a playoff system.

He said the current system is unfair to teams from so-called non-major conferences, such as UH of the Western Athletic Conference.

Despite amassing the only unbeaten regular season among the 120 Division I-A teams, the Warriors have little chance of being declared as national champion because of a regular-season schedule that was ranked among the nation's weakest.

Ohio State of the Big Ten Conference and Louisiana State of the Southeastern Conference will meet in the national title game, Jan. 7 in New Orleans.

The Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern conferences make up the BCS. They sponsor five postseason bowls, including the national championship game.

BCS bowl participants are selected based on standings involving polls and computer rankings. A team from a non-BCS conference, such as UH, can earn a bowl invitation if it finishes in the top 12 of the BCS standings.

The Warriors, who were ranked No. 10 in the final BCS standings, will play Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, Jan. 1 in New Orleans.

"They're being let in on sufferance," Abercrombie said. "They're like distant cousins.'If we're real nice, maybe they'll let us in the house for New Year's festivities.' And we're supposed to be grateful? We're supposed to say,'Thank you?' For what? They earned their way in. Nobody beat them.

"It's like when people said to (boxer) Rocky Marciano when he retired undefeated:'Oh, he just took on the bum of the month.' What are you talking about? He beat who was in front of him. That's all you can do is take on who's in front of you, especially when people won't get in front of you."

Abercrombie said the current system is unfair because it is set up to deny non-BCS schools from competing for a national title.

"It's a way of saying there are 120 schools and we're all equal, except some are more equal than others," Abercrombie said. "Remember from 'Animal Farm?' All pigs are equal, but some pigs are more equal than others. There are special troughs for a few of the conferences, and the other conferences get to be on the outer edges of the farm. And sometime, maybe, if you're real good, we'll invite you up to the main trough. If you have a 120-school association, everyone ought to have their shot."

Abercrombie said a system that limits automatic berths to six conferences "is restraint of trade. The automatic qualifiers are still taking care of themselves. I'm saying regardless of what good intentions may be behind this, it's restraint of trade. It's illegal. It's unconstitutional."

He said the best way to resolve the matter would be with a playoff system. All other NCAA football levels have playoffs.

"Do the Warriors work less hard than the (Ohio State) Buckeyes?" Abercrombie said. "I don't think so. Why should they be treated differently? Why shouldn't they have their turn?"

Abercrombie said he expects support from states whose teams did not qualify for the title game.

"I bet I can go to Kansas and Missouri," Abercrombie said. "Ohio won't be so anxious.... It depends on whose ox is getting gored. I think everyone sees the justice in this (proposal)."

“Dave C in Hawaii”

Since: Oct 07

Makakilo, Hawaii

#6 Dec 12, 2007
Dan S wrote:
Plus, it's in Atlanta. Uh-oh.
The Sugar Bowl moved to Atlanta? How'd they get the 'dome there?
Dan S

Branford, FL

#7 Dec 12, 2007
kawika c wrote:
<quoted text>
The Sugar Bowl moved to Atlanta? How'd they get the 'dome there?
My bad, that was dumb...
Dan S

Branford, FL

#8 Dec 12, 2007
808Pearl wrote:
DAN S of Branford, Florida and his BCS Boys will soon find out if they still can keep their good 'ol boys club. READ ALL YOU BCS Bull Shiters'
I hope it gets passed. Look I love the SEC, but I HATE the BCS. It's without question the worst thing in all of college sports, by far. It almost never gets the NC game right, unless it's so obvious that ANYONE could pick the matchup (USC-Texas, Miami-Ohio State).
A playoff is the only way to go, and the fact that that powers that be think they can't get any money out of it (b/c that's what it's all about, folks) is laughable. Haven't they ever heard of March Madness?
smiles from Idaho

United States

#9 Dec 12, 2007
Of course, the odds should favor Georgia, better athletes, better conference, bigger budget, more myopic boosters, we all get the drill.

Just remember, the Warriors (not the Rainbows) have a lot more motivation. They are on a crusade, they are playing for all the disrespected little guys. That helped my Broncos last year.

I suspect the Bulldogs should win, but if I were a fan, I would be careful not to talk too much smack. I had a lot of fun feeding crow to some loudmouth Sooner fans all last summer.
Ohio state maniac

Simi Valley, CA

#10 Dec 12, 2007
even though hawaii is undefeated, the WAC still doesn't get respect. and it should'nt. they only have 2 consistant teams that have one of the easiest schedules in college football.Georgia is also known as a bigger and better powerhouse team. if colt brennan doesn't have an all american game, georgia bulldogs will tear them up.
devildog

Utica, KY

#11 Dec 12, 2007
Colt could have the best game of his career and still get a beat down....Southern style
unko

Wailuku, HI

#12 Dec 12, 2007
devildog wrote:
Colt could have the best game of his career and still get a beat down....Southern style
How'd you'd like a Hawaiian Punch!
Dee-J-Lee

AOL

#13 Dec 12, 2007
Looking over those hedges this year I saw some hungry bull pups, they were young and kicked around the first few games. I saw Tebow get caught up and dirty playing Georgia. I saw Cox from Auburn get took out of his game plan. I saw the Kentucky Quarterback Woodson get smacked at lest eight maybe ten times. the fourth quarter he was dirty. I have heard a lot about Hawiis receivers. but they haven't caught one over the middle against Georgia, Florida, Tennssee, Lsu and
Auburn. this is different territory. I think Hawii
will test Asher Allen, Rachad Jones, C.J.Bryd &
Kelin Johnson. If Colt handles the torment coming it will be a very good game. The big dog has come out from under the porch. I remember Boise State came to town with the big guns on offense leading the nation in passing but that big dog.......
Oahu Spud

San Diego, CA

#14 Dec 13, 2007
Good memory for the 05 BSU debacle..Z's performance could be summed up with the great pass he threw in the Fiesta Bowl last year to give OU their only lead of the game...in fact I thought here's GA all over again..but he recovered and took the team back down the field to tie it up. what a game....before you mention trick plays, and ,blah,blah,blah OU lead less than 1 minute of game time in that game..Living in the past is great don't you think DJL? BTW what happened with Tenn? That wasn't a stellar performance. Tenn was average..heck Cal a .500 club beat up on them and the lowly under .500 Washington club beat up on Cal. And the SOS UH WAC club beat Washington. As for South Carolina heck their win over you coupled with the wins over South Carolina State and Louisiana-Lafayette got the Game Cocks to .500 for the year. Congrats!

My point living in the past is just that the past.
If you want to underestimate the warriors great..plays right into their hands.

As far as the UH receivers and the SEC secondary. if your "conference championship" game was any indication, Brennan and Co will have a field day. Side note: I was disappointed Ainge wasn't the MVP of the game. His second half performance was the most impressive thing I witnessed for LSU (your "champs")

Finally when are the dawgs coming to Boise since you and a bunch of your buddies keeping mentioning the game from 2 years ago I figured that "Boise was on your mind"

“WAR EAGLE”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#15 Dec 13, 2007
808Pearl wrote:
BILL PROPOSAL TO DECLARE BCS UNCONSTITUTIONAL
Insisting the Division I-A postseason format does not provide justice for all, Hawai'i Rep. Neil Abercrombie is prepared to propose a bill that would declare the Bowl Championship Series as unconstitutional and call for a playoff system.
He said the current system is unfair to teams from so-called non-major conferences, such as UH of the Western Athletic Conference.
Despite amassing the only unbeaten regular season among the 120 Division I-A teams, the Warriors have little chance of being declared as national champion because of a regular-season schedule that was ranked among the nation's weakest.
Ohio State of the Big Ten Conference and Louisiana State of the Southeastern Conference will meet in the national title game, Jan. 7 in New Orleans.
The Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern conferences make up the BCS. They sponsor five postseason bowls, including the national championship game.
BCS bowl participants are selected based on standings involving polls and computer rankings. A team from a non-BCS conference, such as UH, can earn a bowl invitation if it finishes in the top 12 of the BCS standings.
The Warriors, who were ranked No. 10 in the final BCS standings, will play Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, Jan. 1 in New Orleans.
"They're being let in on sufferance," Abercrombie said. "They're like distant cousins.'If we're real nice, maybe they'll let us in the house for New Year's festivities.' And we're supposed to be grateful? We're supposed to say,'Thank you?' For what? They earned their way in. Nobody beat them.
"It's like when people said to (boxer) Rocky Marciano when he retired undefeated:'Oh, he just took on the bum of the month.' What are you talking about? He beat who was in front of him. That's all you can do is take on who's in front of you, especially when people won't get in front of you."
Abercrombie said the current system is unfair because it is set up to deny non-BCS schools from competing for a national title.
"It's a way of saying there are 120 schools and we're all equal, except some are more equal than others," Abercrombie said. "Remember from 'Animal Farm?' All pigs are equal, but some pigs are more equal than others. There are special troughs for a few of the conferences, and the other conferences get to be on the outer edges of the farm. And sometime, maybe, if you're real good, we'll invite you up to the main trough. If you have a 120-school association, everyone ought to have their shot."
Abercrombie said a system that limits automatic berths to six conferences "is restraint of trade. The automatic qualifiers are still taking care of themselves. I'm saying regardless of what good intentions may be behind this, it's restraint of trade. It's illegal. It's unconstitutional."
He said the best way to resolve the matter would be with a playoff system. All other NCAA football levels have playoffs.
"Do the Warriors work less hard than the (Ohio State) Buckeyes?" Abercrombie said. "I don't think so. Why should they be treated differently? Why shouldn't they have their turn?"
Abercrombie said he expects support from states whose teams did not qualify for the title game.
"I bet I can go to Kansas and Missouri," Abercrombie said. "Ohio won't be so anxious.... It depends on whose ox is getting gored. I think everyone sees the justice in this (proposal)."
I totally agree with the rep. Auburn's coach Tubberville has been spouting playoff since AU was left out in 2004 and undefeated so ALL schools could benift from a playoff system. Any undefeated Div 1A football team deserves a shot BCS or not imo.
Dee-J-Lee

AOL

#16 Dec 13, 2007
Dee-J-Lee is really in the future, Georgia is very young this year, fact is Rivals all freshman team has five Bulldogs and five gators. watch out for this game the next two years. Tennessee caught Georgia early and got the young pups down and they could not rebound. South Carolina egded out a Georgia team without Moreno. Moreno would have help win that one no doubt. I think that Hawii has a very good team, could they win ten games playing SEC teams ? how bout twelve.
Riley

Kaneohe, HI

#17 Dec 15, 2007
Al Leighton wrote:
Hi Al,

Not to worry. In 2007, Hawaii has always clicked when it counted most...Hawaii 13-0.

Sugar Bowl. Be there.

Aloha!
Riley
MililaniTrojans

Honolulu, HI

#18 Dec 15, 2007
Dee-J-Lee wrote:
Dee-J-Lee is really in the future, Georgia is very young this year, fact is Rivals all freshman team has five Bulldogs and five gators. watch out for this game the next two years. Tennessee caught Georgia early and got the young pups down and they could not rebound.
We're going to Puppy-Q your young pups in the SUGAR Bowl.

Boise State, Fresno State and Washington, played with lot's of freshmans and sophomores. They weren't ready to adjust when the WARRIORS started to warm up and started playing with McMackins multiple Pro defensive schemes. June Jones and COLT makes their adjustments on the field and with their 4 Dred Head receivers on the same page, they will disect your Dawgs Defense.

Our O-line maybe small compare to your 4 and 5 star athletes on the D-line, but they make up in strength and speed to keep them off COLT and buys him time to go through his reads and find the open receiver.

Did I say, strength and speed? From the good teams that sports pundits declared Hawaii was going to lose, after the loss, they all declared that Hawaii was much more physical than they thought.

Your Georgia coach and your Defensive coach right now are trying very hard to get your Dawg's motivated to play the WARRIORS. That's RESPECT for the WARRIORS! They know that they best be prepared to come in and play from the 'GIT GO' or they'll never gonna 'Get 'er done!"

The WARRIORS can spot your team points and we'll come back and beat you. I don't think your Dawgs can spot us points and come back. If COLT and receivers are clicking, we'll put points every 4 to 8 plays and light up that scoreboard. I don't think SEC football plays ping pong scoreboard. SEC football likes to play control game and score at the 4 to 5 minute drives? You're not gonna 'Get 'er done!" against the WARRIORS.
McLovin

Corolla, NC

#19 Dec 15, 2007
The Warriors will not win this game
DrewC

Greenville, MS

#20 Dec 15, 2007
The Warriors play ping pong scoreboard because they don't have a very good defense, nor do many of the teams they play. But scoring against Georgia is not going to be easy. You certainly can't "spot" them any points in this game.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rennie Curran Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Georgia's Curran going pro (Feb '10) Feb '10 Karen Mitchell 1
News Curran, Jones Leaving Bulldogs For NFL Draft (Jan '10) Feb '10 Coca-Cola Fan 2
News Georgia tabs Grantham to run defense (Jan '10) Feb '10 18andDumb 48
News Bulldogs doomed by mistakes, fall to Vols 45-19 (Oct '09) Oct '09 Dee-J-Lee 1
News Georgia responds with energeric practice (Nov '08) Nov '08 yeagators 1
News 7 hitsDon't try this act vs. LSU (Oct '08) Oct '08 Dee-J-Lee 1
News Rennie Curran emerges as big playmaker on defense (Sep '08) Sep '08 brookwood high sc... 1
More from around the web