Peyton Manning wins record 4th Ap MVP

There are 31 comments on the Salon.com story from Jan 9, 2010, titled Peyton Manning wins record 4th Ap MVP. In it, Salon.com reports that:

In this Jan. 3, 2010 file photo, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning throws during an NFL football game against the Buffalo Bills in Orchard Park, N.Y. Manning has been selected as The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player of the Year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salon.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#1 Jan 9, 2010
Too bad hes gonna get stomped by the Chargers for the third year in a row in the playoffs....lol

Since: Jan 10

United States

#2 Jan 9, 2010
DaveMC wrote:
Too bad hes gonna get stomped by the Chargers for the third year in a row in the playoffs....lol
yeh,I hope the chargers wip them, I see them going to the super bowl finally!
mike

Scituate, MA

#3 Jan 9, 2010
godspeed MG wrote:
<quoted text>yeh,I hope the chargers wip them, I see them going to the super bowl finally!
the chargers are always great in the regular season,in the playoffs they choke.

Since: Jan 10

United States

#4 Jan 9, 2010
mike wrote:
<quoted text>the chargers are always great in the regular season,in the playoffs they choke.
yeh thats true but if they don't it's time for a new coach cause they have the team to do it.

Location hidden

#7 Jan 9, 2010
mike wrote:
<quoted text>the chargers are always great in the regular season,in the playoffs they choke.
They beat the Colts in the playoffs two years in a row. Does that mean the Colts choke as well?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#8 Jan 9, 2010
DaveMC wrote:
<quoted text>They beat the Colts in the playoffs two years in a row. Does that mean the Colts choke as well?
No, the Colts have won 3 NFL championships, and are 2-1 in SBs, where, most recently, they won the '06-'07 championship. When is the last time the Chargers won an NFL championship? Oh yeah, that's right, NEVER, unless you're counting the '63 AFL championship. What about a SB? NEVER, again. They've only been to 1 SB ('94-'95) and were stomped in that one. That was 15 years ago.

The Chargers are recognized every year for having the most talented team in the NFL, and yet, every year they fall short of representing the AFC in the SB. That's the definition of choking.

The Colts, despite having average-to-poor defenses, have set the mark for the most consecutive regular season wins (23), the most wins in a decade (115), the most consecutive seasons winning at least 7 consecutive games (5), and the most consecutive seasons with 12 or more wins (7). Peyton Manning now holds the record for the most NFL MVP awards (4).

San Diego has to come a long ways before you can start comparing them to the Colts.
mike

Scituate, MA

#9 Jan 9, 2010
DaveMC wrote:
<quoted text>They beat the Colts in the playoffs two years in a row. Does that mean the Colts choke as well?
the colts won a superbowl in the last five years,when was the last time a chargers team won a superbowl?

Location hidden

#11 Jan 10, 2010
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the Colts have won 3 NFL championships, and are 2-1 in SBs, where, most recently, they won the '06-'07 championship. When is the last time the Chargers won an NFL championship? Oh yeah, that's right, NEVER, unless you're counting the '63 AFL championship. What about a SB? NEVER, again. They've only been to 1 SB ('94-'95) and were stomped in that one. That was 15 years ago.
The Chargers are recognized every year for having the most talented team in the NFL, and yet, every year they fall short of representing the AFC in the SB. That's the definition of choking.
The Colts, despite having average-to-poor defenses, have set the mark for the most consecutive regular season wins (23), the most wins in a decade (115), the most consecutive seasons winning at least 7 consecutive games (5), and the most consecutive seasons with 12 or more wins (7). Peyton Manning now holds the record for the most NFL MVP awards (4).
San Diego has to come a long ways before you can start comparing them to the Colts.
LMao..will you plaese tell me what happened to the Colts in the playoffs in 2008, 2009? And recall who knocked them out....Not talking about championships, super bowls or what happened in 1963. What happened the last two years to the colts and who knocked them outta the playoffs?

Location hidden

#12 Jan 10, 2010
mike wrote:
<quoted text>the colts won a superbowl in the last five years,when was the last time a chargers team won a superbowl?
Again, not talking about what happened three four years ago. Im talking about what happened the last two years. Would someone please chump up and answer the question. Who knocked the Colts outta the playoffs the last TWO YEARS? If you have enough football knowledge to remember.

“Common Sense, How Refreshing!”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#13 Jan 10, 2010
DaveMC wrote:
<quoted text>Again, not talking about what happened three four years ago. Im talking about what happened the last two years. Would someone please chump up and answer the question. Who knocked the Colts outta the playoffs the last TWO YEARS? If you have enough football knowledge to remember.
OK Dave you are correct but this is a different year and although the Chargers have been playing with a horseshoe stuck up their ass the entire season, Peyton has a lot more offensive weapons than the Chargers do and secondly you just can't beat his haircut!
Indy

United States

#14 Jan 10, 2010
True,the Colts f-d up in the playoffs a couple times when they had the homefield.This team this year is alot tougher than the Dungy lead teams,if not better.Colt v Chargers in the Champ game (provided they both get there lol) should be a great game though no doubt.SD have a helluva team.

Location hidden

#15 Jan 10, 2010
Should be great AFC games from here on out I would think.
PTI

Buckeye, AZ

#16 Jan 10, 2010
Indy wrote:
True,the Colts f-d up in the playoffs a couple times when they had the homefield.This team this year is alot tougher than the Dungy lead teams,if not better.Colt v Chargers in the Champ game (provided they both get there lol) should be a great game though no doubt.SD have a helluva team.
What makes you think you are going to the AFC champ game?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#17 Jan 10, 2010
DaveMC wrote:
<quoted text>LMao..will you plaese tell me what happened to the Colts in the playoffs in 2008, 2009? And recall who knocked them out....Not talking about championships, super bowls or what happened in 1963. What happened the last two years to the colts and who knocked them outta the playoffs?
That wasn't your original question. You asked if the Colts choke. The answer is no.

As far as the last two years are concerned, we all know the Colts lost to SD. Once in OT @ SD, and once in Indy, both very close games.

Maybe you'd like to tell me what happened to SD those two years. With the most talented team in the AFC, and maybe, the NFL, did they win any conference championships? Super Bowls? Have they won ANYTHING this DECADE?

Look, I know you SD fans love to talk trash about beating the Colts. It's quite an accomplishment. But that's not the main goal. The goal is to win championships. When SD wins a championship then I'll be the first to congratulate them and give them their due. Until then, I don't care who they beat in the divisional round 2 years ago. It just doesn't matter.
duh

Kingsport, TN

#18 Jan 11, 2010
so who care who wins the playoffs? no one remembers these games. only the super bowl!
manning is a class act. not some cry baby. he is a winner. and when his team loses he takes it like a man.
brandon

Dover, DE

#20 Jan 11, 2010
he is the best

“DEMOCRATS ARE JACKASSES”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#21 Jan 11, 2010
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
You are freaking kidding me right! What the hell have the Colts done? Talk about chocking. They have gone to the playoff's every year since since 1995( Except 1998 ) and have only won the AFC Conference 1 time and been to the SB 1 time so I really don't think you have anything to be bragging about BIG MOUTH! I reall don't give a rats ass how many games you have won because it doesn't mean squat if you can't at least get to the SB! Chew on that STAT for awhile. BTW Dree Brees should have won the AP MVP award. He had better stats!

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#22 Jan 11, 2010
Inconvenient Truth wrote:
<quoted text>You are freaking kidding me right! What the hell have the Colts done? Talk about chocking. They have gone to the playoff's every year since since 1995( Except 1998 ) and have only won the AFC Conference 1 time and been to the SB 1 time so I really don't think you have anything to be bragging about BIG MOUTH! I reall don't give a rats ass how many games you have won because it doesn't mean squat if you can't at least get to the SB! Chew on that STAT for awhile.
The NFL may not give awards for winning 23 consecutive regular season games, but it's a heck of a lot more than "nothing". The NFL doesn't give awards for winning more games in a decade than any other team in NFL history, but that's, also, a heck of a lot more than "nothing". And, finally, winning the SB is a big "something", and the Colts did that in '06-'07.

Unless your team is the Pats or Steelers, you don't have a heck of lot to talk about. Take your own advice and pipe down.

BTW Dree Brees should have won the AP MVP award. He had better stats!
Everybody knows MVP awards, like Pro Bowl votes, are highly subjective. The flavor of the week wins those things. If Brees had won the games he played, as Manning did, he would most likely have either won the award, or been voted co-MVP.

Brees lost the MVP because of his performance, and the subsequent losses, in the last two regular season games he played in. He was outplayed by Tony Romo in the Dallas game, and by Josh Freeman in the TB game.

As far as having better stats than Manning goes, that's really a toss-up. Manning had more attempts, with more completions, and more yards throwing on a team with a rookie and a second year receiver, and no running game. Brees had a higher completion percentage (by 1.8%), more TDs (by 1) and less INTs (by 5), but double the sacks. And, of course, he lost the last 2 games he played in, while Manning won all of his. Stats look pretty even to me.

One last thing. The MVP award doesn't always go to the player with the best stats. That's what the Offensive Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year awards are for. The MVP goes to the player who makes the most difference to his team, and the league. Had Brees gone down sometime during the season, I suspect Brunell would have won, at least, half of the Saints games. I doubt the Colts would have won more than 4-5 of theirs.

It is also worth noting that Manning is, by far, the most feared and respected QB in the league. You don't have to take my word for it. Just ask coaches Fisher (TEN), Belichick (NE), Harbaugh (BAL), Sparano (MIA), or Kubiak (HOU)...

Location hidden

#23 Jan 11, 2010
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
No they dont...all they have to do is win the next SB and all the crap the Colts have done doesnt matter if they arent reigning SB champs. Or knock the Colts outta the playoffs again which will be for the third consecutive year in which case all those wins and accolades arent worth squat in present time. If you would like to dig up the stat, I think the Chargers have beat the Colts the last 5 outta 6 times played. Either way hopefully the Colts can dig a win outta the Ravens and the Chargers will dig a win outta the Jets and we can rehash this convo in two weeks. If youre a Colts fan you cant tell me facing the Chargers doesnt worry you, and if you do Ill call you a fuking liar.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#24 Jan 11, 2010
DaveMC wrote:
<quoted text>No they dont...all they have to do is win the next SB and all the crap the Colts have done doesnt matter if they arent reigning SB champs. Or knock the Colts outta the playoffs again which will be for the third consecutive year in which case all those wins and accolades arent worth squat in present time.
Aren't worth squat to who? You? They matter to Colts fans, and the NFL. I've got news for you - HISTORY MATTERS. If it didn't sports organizations wouldn't bother to keep records, or talk about record breaking performances.

If you would like to dig up the stat, I think the Chargers have beat the Colts the last 5 outta 6 times played. Either way hopefully the Colts can dig a win outta the Ravens and the Chargers will dig a win outta the Jets and we can rehash this convo in two weeks. If youre a Colts fan you cant tell me facing the Chargers doesnt worry you, and if you do Ill call you a fuking liar.
There's a thing called a rivalry. The Colts have a pretty strong rivalry with the Pats. Why? Because the two teams have been the most dominant teams of the decade, they have two of the best QBs in the league that have played against each other in all of the games, and they are both considered strong SB contenders fighting for dominance in the same conference. Both teams know each other very well, and both know that, on any given day, one has an even chance of beating the other. This despite the fact that the Colts have beaten the Pats 5 out of the last 6 times they have faced each other. I doubt either team is "worried" about the other. They just want very badly to beat each other.

The Colts and the Chargers have not played games for dominance in the AFC that come even close to the games between the Colts and the Pats. The Chargers have won 3 of the last 4 contests between the two, but they have all been very close, and decided by 1 or 2 plays. I'm sure you remember the 2007 game when Vinatieri missed that 19 yard FG at the end of the game. Had Vinatieri made that FG the Colts would have split the last 4 games with SD. The Colts and the Chargers split the two before those, but they were played when Brees was still the QB in '04 and '05, and not really relevant to this discussion.

So, am I "worried" about playing SD? I'll start thinking about that when both teams get to the AFCC. The only thing that worries me now is the team going flat from taking 3 weeks off. At the end of week 15, I don't think there was a team in the NFL that could go toe-to-toe with the Colts for 60 minutes. If the Colts play with that same intensity next week, and the week after, it won't matter who is put in front of them. They'll be booking tickets to Miami...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Reggie Wayne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Winners, losers: Did Rodgers kiss MVP goodbye? Jan '15 Beat Sons Genitals 30
News Jaguars sink to new low vs. Colts (Nov '14) Dec '14 Bruce 6
News Everyone, even Colts fans, should pull for Peyton (Jan '14) Jan '14 Janitor 4
News Indianapolis Colts vs. Cincinnati Bengals live ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Denver 1
News Dolphins stop Colts comeback (Sep '13) Sep '13 Joc Strap 3
News Colts use Luck's feet to get past... (Sep '13) Sep '13 1 Raider Nation 1
News Heyward-Bey ready to take chance against Oakland (Sep '13) Sep '13 The Autumn Wind 12
More from around the web