A tough spot is not reason for tough ...

A tough spot is not reason for tough loss

There are 112 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Dec 15, 2008, titled A tough spot is not reason for tough loss. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

"That," he said, "didn't win or lose the game for us." Except "that" might have done exactly that.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Dan eastern shore

Perry, IA

#102 Dec 15, 2008
Brian Billick's offense showed up again and a 3 man rush on the last Pitt drive?Seen it before and done that.The refs did'nt control the game but the coaching is suspect by the Ravens in my humble opinion.Nevertheless,at least the Raven players are taking responsibility this year and as a fan I will bite the bullet on this one.Tough loss,nice year but....it's not over by a long shot!Damn it,11-5 is sweet,baby!Don't you agree?
john

Rohnert Park, CA

#103 Dec 15, 2008
upper deck bird brainned wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the ball has crossed the plane,ie, the goal line. In this case the dispute is whether the ball crossed the plane of the goal line. In the cases you present the ball crosses the plane to get to the side or back of the endzone and then it matters whether the receiver is in bounds or not. But first and fore most the ball not the body has to cross the plane into the endzone, the same as on any running play. It was a blown call on TD but not catch.
Sorry. According to the NFL Digest of Rules:

"A receiver is deemed to be in possession of a catch when both feet touch down in bounds while the receiver demonstrates control of the football. Should a receiver make a legal catch of the ball with both feet in bounds in the end zone, a touchdown shall be awarded even if no part of the ball was deemed to break the plane of the goal line while in possession of the receiving player."
Mike

Aberdeen, MD

#104 Dec 16, 2008
Sorry, but I can't accept the reasoning that one call made or broke that game. In fact, I will go so far as saying neither disputed call did. The fact of the matter is that our defense let the 26th ranked offense go right up the field on us when all we needed was one stop. Great teams win these games, and they certainly don't allow someone to go 92 (or even 91 yards) at the end of the game. The point of the matter is that we allowed ourselves to get into the position where a blown call could lose the game. We put them on their own 8, we were all jumping around because there was no way our defense was going to let them get past the fifty, let alone score, right.
CentralCityRaven

Somerset, PA

#105 Dec 16, 2008
As a Ravens fan that lives in Squeeler country, I know the game wazs fixed. Even most of the Squeeler lovers near me have said the game was rigged. I believe the Squeelers have the Zebras in their hip pockets just like when they went to the last Super bowl!!!!!!!!!
CentralCityRaven

Somerset, PA

#106 Dec 16, 2008
GO STEELERS wrote:
<quoted text>
It didnt have to cross the line,
READ the rules
Page 776 of the rules digest in the NFL fact book reads: "A player with the ball in his possession scores a touchdown when the ball is on, above or over the goal line."
Parkville

Gwynn Oak, MD

#107 Dec 16, 2008
CentralCityRaven wrote:
As a Ravens fan that lives in Squeeler country, I know the game wazs fixed. Even most of the Squeeler lovers near me have said the game was rigged. I believe the Squeelers have the Zebras in their hip pockets just like when they went to the last Super bowl!!!!!!!!!
They certaintly did when they played the Seahawks in that super bowl. Everyone knew the fix was in for that game. There should have been an investigation into that travesty.
BigJoe

United States

#108 Dec 16, 2008
Parkville wrote:
<quoted text>
They certaintly did when they played the Seahawks in that super bowl. Everyone knew the fix was in for that game. There should have been an investigation into that travesty.
Oh sh**, here we go again. Get out the tinfoil hats, there's a freakin' conspiracy.

Get real, the NFL is to large an organization with too many people involved for there to be a conspiracy for the Steelers or against the Ravens. You probably think the moon landing was staged too.

Go back to scanning the Parkville skies for black helicopters, at least it will get your mind off the filth in your streets.

Woo-wee!!!
Burp

Houston, TX

#109 Dec 17, 2008
CentralCityRaven wrote:
Yea, and the Steelers were hiding in the gassy nole too.

What a douch bag.
Burp

Houston, TX

#110 Dec 17, 2008
...grassy...
Josh

Melvindale, MI

#111 Dec 17, 2008
all you out there with your tin-foil hats on that want to talk about a conspiracy why don't you look at the team that truly had the MOST to gain by a Ravens loss....

Even if the Steelers had lost...they still would have most likely wrapped up the division and #2 after week 17.

The team with the most to gain was the Pats, who now with their 2 cupcakes remaining this year will likely finish at 11-5. The jets and dolphins will finish with one at 11-5 and one at 10-6 in all likelyhood.

The only way the pats had any chance at making the playoffs was for the Ravens to drop 2 of their last 3 games....for a 10-6 finish

Maybe Walk "tuck rule" coleman will be reffing the game this saturday night too.........

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Since: Feb 08

East Butler, PA

#114 Dec 17, 2008
GHT wrote:
<quoted text>NFL football games are highly competitive. Yes, one call can utterly change everything. Pitsburgh has the worst 4th down % in the league this year, who knows, they could have been held, fumbled, dropped the pass etc. Dude, it's just like life, you hit the curb 30 second later than norm and miss a car that went out of control that would have hit you.
The steelers also rank last in the league in short yardage pickups. Go figure we don't even have a fullback. I think they probably would have gone for it, but I was thinking during the review that I hope they kick the FG and win the game in overtime. it doesn't matter now.
Burp

Houston, TX

#115 Dec 18, 2008
Water under the bridge...Ravens received a "L". Get over it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ray Lewis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Terrell Suggs charged in Arizona with leaving s... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Fart news 2
News Selfish Fans Who Booed MVPs At Super Bowl Cerem... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Fart news 8
News Ray Lewis says the only reason anyone knows Tom... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Brady Bulge 28
News Why Some Athletes Are Using Deer Antler Spray a... (Feb '11) Mar '14 alaanile 3
News Your Reaction to Michael Vick Joining the NY Je... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Phoenix Ascended 4
News Ravens hope to unveil Lewis statue before season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Paul bleeds Purple 1
Wow! Ray Lewis & hearing aids! (Oct '13) Oct '13 Operation Change 1
More from around the web