A tough spot is not reason for tough loss

"That," he said, "didn't win or lose the game for us." Except "that" might have done exactly that. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
next year it seems

AOL

#1 Dec 15, 2008
57 tough minutes but you play 60.
Flacco and the defense failed us miserably in those last fateful minutes. Flacco gets a pass. Rex does not.
Rob

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Dec 15, 2008
If you dominate an offense for the whole game and then allow them to drive 91 yards on the final drive of the game.....the refs didnt cost you the game.....what cost the Ravens the game was their zombie like perormances in scoring territory....anytime a team squanders continuos great field position and multiple redzone scoring opportunities so willingly......you know they're not going to win the game.....what was just as significant as the phantom touchdown was the even more ridiculous first down that gave them their first 3 points....that was definetly a gift from Roger Goddell to the NFL owners.....Merry Christmas

Since: Nov 07

Baltimore, MD

#3 Dec 15, 2008
It was like the ghost of Brian Billick revisited. Thanks, Cam -- for one of the worst OC performances of your brief Ravens history. And thanks, Rex -- for yet another 57 minute masterpiece that fell just short enough to flush an otherwise outstanding season down the toilet. And thanks, McGahee -- for nothing. And thanks, Joe -- for showing that you're still, after all, a rookie. And a rookie, in this instance, who had both of your hands tied behind your back by your gutless offensive coordinator.
Lew in DC

Sterling, VA

#4 Dec 15, 2008
Invariably in close games when teams go into the "prevent" defense they lose. Pressure worked all day. As soon as the Ravens went into the prevent I knew they would lose. Big Ben had all the time in the world to throw. The only thing the prevent prevents is a win.
Lew in DC

Sterling, VA

#5 Dec 15, 2008
I agree with skaybaltimore. Cam And Ryan lost this won. Cam did not let Joe play football. You play to win, not almost win.
jono

United States

#6 Dec 15, 2008
The refs have to understand that folks aren't paying to watch them, they are paying to watch the game. So it should be a really extreme case where their ruling decides the game, let alone the playoff picture. It's pretty inconceivable that a ref can watch the same replay that everyone else did and get a different conclusion, let alone one that allows him to overrule the decision on the field that another ref already made. When the Fox broadcasters make the call that the ruling on the field should stand, with their own multiple angles, it's kind of bizarre that someone who should be even more conservative about overriding such a call would go the opposite way. Sure the Ravens put themselves into a position where such a call could make a difference. But it's hard enough beating a division rival when the officiating is also playing against you. This was actually the second replay of the game where the ref too the opposite position of what the video showed and what the Fox broadcasters concluded was the right call. The first time didn't have a very big impact in the game. The second sure did. This ref should never work in the NFL again. There are plenty of folks who know how to ref, and far more who can look at a video and actually see what's going on. It's pretty bizarre when someone gets something wrong off video-tape not once, but twice in a game. The ravens have never had good luck getting fair officiating, and yesterday's game was a huge example of this.

That's two losses due to bad calls so far this year. With fair refs, the Ravens should have already clinched a wildcard berth. As it stands now, they are doubtful for the playoffs. Lame.
Steeler Ice

Plano, TX

#7 Dec 15, 2008
Congrats on a great game. I agree the officiating was poor but let's also look at the other side. James Harrison was held on virtually every play. I thought your OT was in love the way he was grabbing around the nech and hugging. Also, WTH was the personal foul call on our kicker (Jeff Reed)???? On you guys side, there was the 3rd down spot also....but you get my point. I feel as a fan, one of the best games I watched this year was marred on both sides by poor, indecisive officiating. The NFL really needs to get their house in order.
DumbIdeaDetector

Winter Garden, FL

#8 Dec 15, 2008
Poor play calling is what lost this game. No passing on first down, every run was predictable and between the tackles. Why is it that when we play a good team we get so conservative that the only time Flacco gets to throw is on thrid and long? It's no wonder he's losing confidence.
Joe B

Southview, PA

#9 Dec 15, 2008
The ball does not have to cross the goal line. Any part of the ball touching the TOTAL plane of the goal line is a score. In other words, if the nose of the ball is over any part of the goal line, the Steelers scored. It did, and they did.

By the way, if you ever want to see a description of holding by an offensive player attempting to block, just look at whoever is "blocking" Harrison. It went on all day. Sometimes I thought the Offensive tackle was in love with him. The tight end, too.
Jim

Washington, DC

#10 Dec 15, 2008
It was apparent from the explanation on the field (and the the attempt to revise after the game) that Coleman didn't know the rule--that the ball had to reach the plane.
WhereHaveUGoneJo hnnyU

Parkville, MD

#11 Dec 15, 2008
let the whining begin. Big Ben has struck again, who to blame?? Go Steelers!! congrats to the champs!
Joe William

Atlanta, GA

#12 Dec 15, 2008
1 yard???? It would have been one inch at best. Steelers such at 4th and 1 yard. While 4th and inch is no guarantee, I think Steelers get a QB sneak on 4th and an inch.
If it was a mistake on 4th and goal by the ref, I understand. Worse calls have been made at the end of games.
The only bad call against the Ravens was the ridiculous non reversal by the refs on the 1st down on field call by the refs in the first haf when the Steelers clearly ddnt make the 1st down.
Mike B

Waynesboro, PA

#13 Dec 15, 2008
Faxct of the matter is the coaching staff deserves all the credit for this loss. The players played their hearts out and with great intensity, Rex Ryan is famous for calling defenses to stop a team the whole game only to get brain freeze in the last 2 minutes with his idiotic pevent that does nothing but prevent the Ravens from stoppimg the other team from marching straight down the field to score, he has done it time and again. Cam Cameron called the game as if he were trying not to lose instead of trying to win, and you can't win football games trying not to lose. Give credit to the Steelers , they are are very tough football team, but if you are going to beat them the coaching staff has got to do a better job, period! I am sick of watching the Ravens lose games on the final drive because of Ryan's stupid callinf of a soft prevent defense when the whole game Pitt. could hardly move the ball on the Ravens. Very stupid on his part. The players played hard , tought, disciplined football, they deserved better from their coaches on game day yesterday!
Mike B

Waynesboro, PA

#14 Dec 15, 2008
Any owners out their who think Rex Ryan should be a head coach? If you do I will be his new agent, you can get him on the cheap, but hurry up before you realize he is not what you think! please take him now so we don't lose anymore games in the last minute with his predictable brain freeze! Thank You owners , but PLEASE HURRY!!!!!
Tom Tonsky

Massillon, OH

#15 Dec 15, 2008
why is the catch such an issue? When a receiver is laid out in the back of the end zone with tip toes in or on the sidelines with the ball clearly out of bounds the call is never disputed. The man was in the end zone and had the ball that is a touchdown.
Arnold 53

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#16 Dec 15, 2008
I am not a Ravens, Steelers or Redskins fan. I happen to be from St. Louis living in Maryland and follow the Rams, so go ahead and bash me I don't care. Here is my two cents worth.

Hey Jono

Maybe you should submit an application to be a ref since you according to you, and I quote " There are plenty of folks who know how to ref". Give me a break.

Your another one of those whinny fans that because you lost it is obvious the refs were the reason you lost, not the fact that the Steelers drove 91 yards and scored.

How many times were the Ravens in the red zone and only came away with 9 points? I Don't want to hear the excuse of blaming it on a rookie quaterback.

You lost to a better team with the #1 defense.
upper deck bird brainned

Chesapeake Beach, MD

#17 Dec 15, 2008
The game was all and more of what I anticipated, a great struggle between two good teams. It seemed that both O co-ordinators dialed down their game plans in respect of the two great Ds. Both seemed to go very conservative. My feeling from when I was a young person ( way too many years ago for my liking) was that you do not leave yourself in position where a ref's call can cost you a game. And as much as I know that Coleman blew two calls and made a mockery of "Number 79 is confused" ( whatever he meant by that?!), the Ravens by not scoring tds when the opportunity presented left themselves in a position where a ref's call ( mistake or not) decided a game, not a position to let yourself be in. But except for the end result, it was an exciting heavyweight bout that unfortunately was decided by a TKO and not a knockout. And that always leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. Go Ravens and let's get the next two.
upper deck bird brainned

Chesapeake Beach, MD

#18 Dec 15, 2008
Tom Tonsky wrote:
why is the catch such an issue? When a receiver is laid out in the back of the end zone with tip toes in or on the sidelines with the ball clearly out of bounds the call is never disputed. The man was in the end zone and had the ball that is a touchdown.
Because the ball has crossed the plane,ie, the goal line. In this case the dispute is whether the ball crossed the plane of the goal line. In the cases you present the ball crosses the plane to get to the side or back of the endzone and then it matters whether the receiver is in bounds or not. But first and fore most the ball not the body has to cross the plane into the endzone, the same as on any running play. It was a blown call on TD but not catch.
upper deck bird brainned

Chesapeake Beach, MD

#19 Dec 15, 2008
Steeler Ice wrote:
Congrats on a great game. I agree the officiating was poor but let's also look at the other side. James Harrison was held on virtually every play. I thought your OT was in love the way he was grabbing around the nech and hugging. Also, WTH was the personal foul call on our kicker (Jeff Reed)???? On you guys side, there was the 3rd down spot also....but you get my point. I feel as a fan, one of the best games I watched this year was marred on both sides by poor, indecisive officiating. The NFL really needs to get their house in order.
I agree it was a great game spoiled by poor officiating. The NFL will not make the refs full time employees and with the poor economy it is less likely for that to occur. With the billions per year involved with the games and I accept that the refs are part of the game, it is past time to make them full time employees and hold them to a higher level of competence. The players and fans deserve that for the money we shell out.
Monday morning

Westminster, MD

#20 Dec 15, 2008
I hate to say it but the Ravens are building a legacy of the team in the NFL that cannot close a game, whose defense becomes the 32nd best in the final minute of big games, and a team that can find the dam#edest impossible ways to blow big games, at home, with all odds in their favor. If Mason holds the sure TD pass thrown to him, we wouldn't all be feeling sh#t this morning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ray Lewis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Some Athletes Are Using Deer Antler Spray a... (Feb '11) Mar '14 alaanile 3
Your Reaction to Michael Vick Joining the NY Je... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Phoenix Ascended 4
Ravens hope to unveil Lewis statue before season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Paul bleeds Purple 1
Wow! Ray Lewis & hearing aids! (Oct '13) Oct '13 Operation Change 1
Ray Lewis on Aaron Hernandez: 'New England had ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jordan Reinders 1
Baltimore Ravens: Is It a Mistake That James Ih... (Sep '13) Sep '13 James 1
Chad Greenway Now Entering Elite Linebacker Sta... (Aug '13) Aug '13 viking nation 2
More from around the web