Pittsburgh Steelers defense among bes...

Pittsburgh Steelers defense among best ever

There are 52 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 28, 2009, titled Pittsburgh Steelers defense among best ever. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

This Steelers defense is not yet the legend that other Steelers defenses have become.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Slippery Rock, PA

#41 Jan 29, 2009
bhawks61 wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually do. Pittsburgh had 4 SB titles entering the 80's. If you guys had never won a SB what would the attendance be?
I'll give you that, but so what? Did you read the rest of the post? The Steelers earned a maniacal following by giving the world to a city that had nothing, and so now the team has an incredibly dedicated fan base no matter what the team's fortunes. Going all the way back to the pre-SB years to try to disprove that isn't going to make much sense.
Rod Tidwell

AOL

#42 Jan 29, 2009
bhawks61 = dork.
bhawks61

Sarasota, FL

#43 Jan 29, 2009
Rod Tidwell wrote:
bhawks61 = dork.
spoken like a true idiot

Latrobe, PA

#44 Jan 29, 2009
bhawks61 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's debateable. I think it's very easy to root for a successful franchise.(5 SB titles) but I look at attendance at the Igloo when Mario retired and Jagr left as well as what the Pirates are drawing and all I see is a frontrunning fanbase. You you honestly say that you guys would be as passionate if the team was as bad as the Cardinals, Bengals, or Buccaneers back in the day?
Your attendance in the other sports tell the real story. True fans, the best fans are there win or lose.
Steeler fans (we) were pretty passionate before the the first 4 Superbowls too, there were a lot of sellouts and demand for tickets at old Pitt Stadium. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to justify building 3 Rivers Stadium to house the Steelers and Pirates.

If we were as bad as the teams you mentioned, its tough to say, because we have had great ownership with the Rooney family. The Chief and his early Steelers had a very dedicated fan base to build on, pre-Superbowl era, despite the teams' losing.

I'll give you the Pirates...but you can also point to baseball in general. I love baseball, I grew up on it and played it with a passion. But MLB really is hard to stomach sometimes, and that includes the Pirates.

But the Penguins have a solid base, including myself, we went through a lull, but again it points to ownership. Pre-Mario owning the team, it was in total flux for a period of uncertainty. And prior to Mario retaining the team or not selling, there where quite a few groups of investors who sought to keep the team in Pittsburgh.

Even in the worst year the Penguins had in recent memory (1 year prior to Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fluery), they were still drawing 9K to 10K consistantly and going above that for good matchups, in a building (the Igloo) that if you remember, was never built for sports, much less Ice Hockey.

Latrobe, PA

#45 Jan 29, 2009
bhawks61 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bears not only posted shutouts in the playoff games but teams rarely crossed the 50 yard line. As far as rule changes go do you really think the handchecking would have made a difference when the QB didn't even have 3 secs to throw the football?
Bottom line: 2008 Steelers have a real strong defense but are not as dominate as the 85 Bears defense. Pittsburgh did give up 24 points to a San Diego team in the playoffs that didn't have LT playing right?
You miss understood. I meant 'ever' as in there could be something down the road. The 86 Bears were downright awesome, I was not knocking them.
SteelersRock

Hoboken, NJ

#46 Jan 29, 2009
all the assclowns saying this super bowl sill suck are the same monkeys sitting home on their couches eating chips... I love the fact that these 2 are here, nobody picked either of them, and all the so called experts suck.
Im sure most of the haters are GIANTS,DALLAS fans.
Bunch of prima donnas..goes to show you the blue collar type teams always prevail, not the sissies in the limelight....... best defense EVER, best team EVER....STEELERS NOT DALLAS IS AMERICAS TEAM LIKE IT OR NOT CHUMPS !
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#47 Jan 30, 2009
SteelersRock wrote:
all the assclowns saying this super bowl sill suck are the same monkeys sitting home on their couches eating chips... I love the fact that these 2 are here, nobody picked either of them, and all the so called experts suck.
Im sure most of the haters are GIANTS,DALLAS fans.
Bunch of prima donnas..goes to show you the blue collar type teams always prevail, not the sissies in the limelight....... best defense EVER, best team EVER....STEELERS NOT DALLAS IS AMERICAS TEAM LIKE IT OR NOT CHUMPS !
You go, SR!

“Lets GO BROWNS”

Since: Sep 08

Jamestown NY

#48 Jan 30, 2009
I got this sent to me in an e-mail, thought you steeler fans would enjoy it.

Twas the Night Before the Super Bowl

Twas the night before the Super Bowl, when along the gulf shore,
Steelers fans were praying for just one more;

The players were nestled all snug in the sack,
With visions of the first NFL Six-Pack;

Coach Tomlin was young, but wise for his years,
So I drifted off to sleep without any fears;

When at the stadium there arose some strange chatter,
The Cardinals feared, what was the matter;

We heard Okel Dokel, we heard Double Yoi,
We jumped from our beds, our hearts jumped for joy;

He stood at the fifty with a grin ear to ear,
Steelers fans everywhere started to cheer;

Then in an instant to our surprise,
This little old man had tears in his eyes;

He went to the booth and there took his chair,
While Terrible Towels waved in the air;

Then over the airwaves came his shrill voice,
The Steelers Nation began to rejoice;

He said, I am back, but you know I can't stay,
I just had to see my Steelers play;

From my home up above, I have a great view,
But I wanted to celebrate here with you;

So bring on the Birds, we'll send them a flyin',
On the way back to Phoenix , they will be cryin';

Ben, Hines, Troy , Jeff and all of the rest,
No matter the outcome, to me you're the best;

The airwaves went silent, the stadium still,
Was this just a dream, it seemed so real;

In our team we have faith, in our team we have hope,
But the game's not the same without Myron Cope;

Written by:
A.K. Young
01-23-09
FvsT

Houston, TX

#49 Jan 30, 2009
SteelersRock wrote:
LOL, well put.
bhawks61

Sarasota, FL

#50 Jan 30, 2009
I think this will be a great superbowl. 2 workman like professional teams. No soap opera bs like what you would see in Dallas. No ***-clown fans like you would see in New England. Pittsburgh fans are passionate and Arizona has had a great 2 years of sports. Hosting a Superbowl, hosting the NBA ASG and the Cardinals making the SB. What is there not to like? Two great talented teams. I am pumped!
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

#51 Jan 31, 2009
bhawks61 wrote:
I think this will be a great superbowl. 2 workman like professional teams. No soap opera bs like what you would see in Dallas. No ***-clown fans like you would see in New England. Pittsburgh fans are passionate and Arizona has had a great 2 years of sports. Hosting a Superbowl, hosting the NBA ASG and the Cardinals making the SB. What is there not to like? Two great talented teams. I am pumped!
Couldn't agree with you more, Mr. Blackhawk! Have a great SB Sunday!
Just the Stats

AOL

#52 Feb 1, 2009
here's a stat for ya ...

The Green Bay Packers have won twelve league championships (more than any other team in the NFL) including nine NFL Championships prior to the Super Bowl era and three Super Bowl victories in 1967 (Super Bowl I), 1968 (Super Bowl II) and 1997 (Super Bowl XXXI).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ray Lewis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ray Lewis says the only reason anyone knows Tom... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Brady Bulge 28
News Why Some Athletes Are Using Deer Antler Spray a... (Feb '11) Mar '14 alaanile 3
News Your Reaction to Michael Vick Joining the NY Je... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Phoenix Ascended 4
News Ravens hope to unveil Lewis statue before season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Paul bleeds Purple 1
Wow! Ray Lewis & hearing aids! (Oct '13) Oct '13 Operation Change 1
News Ray Lewis on Aaron Hernandez: 'New England had ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jordan Reinders 1
News Baltimore Ravens: Is It a Mistake That James Ih... (Sep '13) Sep '13 James 1
More from around the web