Pittsburgh Steelers defense among best ever

Full story: Chicago Tribune

This Steelers defense is not yet the legend that other Steelers defenses have become.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
ldc

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Another story reflecting the lack of interest in this Super Bowl.
WrecksAlwaysSux

King Of Prussia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

This 2008 Steelers defense is not even remotely "dominant". Has the writer of article actually watched their games? From what I've seen, the Steelers have been more prone to getting burned by big plays since Tomlin became their HC. IMO, the Levon Kirkland-Kevin Greene-Greg Lloyd Steelers D was much more dominant than the current version.
Greg

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

WrecksAlwaysSux wrote:
This 2008 Steelers defense is not even remotely "dominant". Has the writer of article actually watched their games? From what I've seen, the Steelers have been more prone to getting burned by big plays since Tomlin became their HC. IMO, the Levon Kirkland-Kevin Greene-Greg Lloyd Steelers D was much more dominant than the current version.
The strength of the Steelers is that guys like Kirkland, Greene and Lloyd can keep leaving for free agency and they keep replacing them with in-house talent that is just as good.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

ldc wrote:
Another story reflecting the lack of interest in this Super Bowl.
Lack of interest? Wait till the ratings come out.
Sadie

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

The Steelers have the best defense in the football league. Maybe Ben isn't the most solid quarterback but he gets the job done. You can nit pick and be jealous all you want but if the Steelers win they will be number one again. Lets not forget their fan base is the best in the country. GO STEELERS
GHT

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

best ever what??!! 2000 Ravens are so far ahead of this group. The '86 Bears have this group too.

As far as 2008? Yes, they proved to have the very best. I can't deny that.
ldc

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>Lack of interest? Wait till the ratings come out.
The ratings will be decent because of the Steelers. That's it.

But they will not come close to breaking any records.

No one cares about the Cardinals, and the Steelers were just there four years ago.

It's not a buzz generating game.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

WrecksAlwaysSux wrote:
If it was just the writer of this article raising the question, you might have a point, but it's being raised everywhere. They led the league almost across the board (only failing to win the rushing D title because Jamal Lewis got some garbage yards late in the last game while the Steelers were in prevent). Woodley and Harrison have the most sacks of any LB tandem in Steeler history, and the D line and secondary are every bit as good as their counterparts from '95.

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

ldc wrote:
<quoted text>
The ratings will be decent because of the Steelers. That's it.
But they will not come close to breaking any records.
No one cares about the Cardinals, and the Steelers were just there four years ago.
It's not a buzz generating game.
You'll see. Ratings will be big, as they were in 2005...

Put in perspective, the Ravens @ Steelers AFC Championship, drew more veiwers than the BCS Championship, it was the most watched Non-Superbowl game.

Yes, the Cards lack the National attention, but there will be a lot of curious on-lookers as well.
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

GHT wrote:
best ever what??!! 2000 Ravens are so far ahead of this group. The '86 Bears have this group too.
So far ahead of this group? Based on what? Not stats. I won't bother crunching numbers on the postseason until after the SB, but in the regular season, the Steelers D is better. Here are the numbers:

Ravens 2000: 1st in Rush D (60.6 ypg); 8th in Pass D (187.3 ypg); 2nd in total D (247.9 pts.); 35 sacks, 23 INTs.

Steelers 2008: 2nd in rush D (76.9 ypg); 1st in pass D (156.9 ypg); 1st in total D (237.2 pts.); 51 sacks, 20 INTs.

The Ravens have an edge in rushing ypg and a (slight) one in INTS, while the Steelers have the edge in passing ypg and a HUGE edge in sacks.

It's going to be difficult to compare stats in the postseason because the Ravens played one more game and also because no one can compare the offense of the 20000 Giants (one of the most pathetic SB teams ever) to that of the Cardinals.

Now far be it from me to put down the 2000 Ravens D, whom anyone who knows anything will have to acknowledge as an absolutely awesome D, but I can't see any basis at all for saying they're "far ahead of" the 2008 Steelers.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Since: Feb 08

Butler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

GHT wrote:
The 2000 ravens weren't as good the league was week offensively that year. After this weekend the popular pick will be 2008 Steelers, 1986 Bears and 2000 Ravens...but that overlooks the best defense ever (but didn't get to the SB) the 1976 Steelers. Their last 8 games posted 5 shut outs and giving up 28 total points! No team will ever do that again...

Hang onto your 9 year old memories though...they are about to be shattered some more as the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers take home the lombardi trophy (again).

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Butler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

sorry about the typo...too much coffee...should read "weak"
GHT

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

as your own Rod Wodsopn pointed out, look at the number of points the D surrendered. That says it all straight from Rod and I agree.

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Is that total points surrendered or points allowed by the defense solely?
Suzanne2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Here we go, Steelers, here we go!!
Rex J Steelman

Slippery Rock, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

GHT wrote:
as your own Rod Wodsopn pointed out, look at the number of points the D surrendered. That says it all straight from Rod and I agree.
They surrendered fewer points than the Ravens D did in 2000.

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Butler, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Rex J Steelman wrote:
<quoted text>
They surrendered fewer points than the Ravens D did in 2000.
exactly and that's why this D is the best in recent history. Our offense has coughed up a few TDs to the other guys AND has repeatedly given the ball to the other team with a very short field. To top it off we don't have a running game. The 2000 ravens had the 5th best running game that season.

No doubt they were a good enough D to win the SB but they weren't even leading the league in defense that year, tennessee was.

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

The 00 Ravens, 86 Bears, 08 Steelers, 70's Steelers and so on and so forth were all great defenses.

I like our 08 defense a lot, facing the #1 ranked schedule, we faired pretty well in my opinion. They get burned once and awhile, but that comes with the territory in a 3-4 base defense, that takes a lot of chances.
Weezy F Baby

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Bob Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
The 2000 ravens weren't as good the league was week offensively that year. After this weekend the popular pick will be 2008 Steelers, 1986 Bears and 2000 Ravens...but that overlooks the best defense ever (but didn't get to the SB) the 1976 Steelers. Their last 8 games posted 5 shut outs and giving up 28 total points! No team will ever do that again...
Hang onto your 9 year old memories though...they are about to be shattered some more as the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers take home the lombardi trophy (again).
The 85 Bears gave up 10 points TOTAL in the playoffs...no team will do that ever...EVER.

Latrobe, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Weezy F Baby wrote:
<quoted text>
The 85 Bears gave up 10 points TOTAL in the playoffs...no team will do that ever...EVER.
ever?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of52
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ray Lewis Discussions

Search the Ray Lewis Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Why Some Athletes Are Using Deer Antler Spray a... (Feb '11) Mar 29 alaanile 3
Your Reaction to Michael Vick Joining the NY Je... Mar 28 Phoenix Ascended 4
Ravens hope to unveil Lewis statue before season Mar 28 Paul bleeds Purple 1
Wow! Ray Lewis & hearing aids! (Oct '13) Oct '13 Operation Change 1
Ray Lewis on Aaron Hernandez: 'New England had ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jordan Reinders 1
Baltimore Ravens: Is It a Mistake That James Ih... (Sep '13) Sep '13 James 1
Chad Greenway Now Entering Elite Linebacker Sta... (Aug '13) Aug '13 viking nation 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••