Two too much: 18-game NFL season could be a tough sell with players

The last time the NFL expanded the season was 1978, when the schedule increased to 16 games from 14. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
y a tittle

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Sep 4, 2010
sixteen games is too many, cut it to 14
jeb

Oakland, CA

#2 Sep 4, 2010
i really think that they should consider giving the players a second bye week rather then having one right after preseason...especially if there are only going to be two preseason games.
lazy

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Sep 4, 2010
They just don't know.
TorVikeFan

Toronto, Canada

#4 Sep 5, 2010
How about this trade-off: Increase the schedule to 18 games but oblige each team to rest each player for 1 or 2 games in the regular season.
FudgePackerKilla

Bangkok, Thailand

#5 Sep 5, 2010
As a fan I love it! Just means a couple more Sundays in the pub getting pissed up! But as a player, I can see why they're not down with idea. Also, the record book will also be sabotaged if they decide to play 18, filled with astrixes every. The people want this to happen most is the owners, then the 72' Dolphins.

Since: Sep 08

Lakeville, MN

#6 Sep 5, 2010
whats an astrix?..there are any asterisks between the 12 the 14 and the 16 game seasons
joeyv753

Kearny, NJ

#7 Sep 5, 2010
Increasing the the schedule to 18 games might be good for the fans but not the players,Unless the nfl increases the roster.
Bad Idea

Lakeville, MN

#8 Sep 5, 2010
Increasing the roster sizes waters down the talent. Look at the NBA. Increasing the number of teams, although adding only a few players to the league, seriously lowered the quality of the game.
JimisRite

Onalaska, WI

#9 Sep 5, 2010
FudgePackerKilla wrote:
As a fan I love it! Just means a couple more Sundays in the pub getting **** up! But as a player, I can see why they're not down with idea. Also, the record book will also be sabotaged if they decide to play 18, filled with astrixes every. The people want this to happen most is the owners, then the 72' Dolphins.
another Minnesota drunk bragging about it ... try AA ya bum and stop beating your wife ..
memyselfandI

International Falls, MN

#10 Sep 5, 2010
The move from 12 to 16 games has already made a joke of the competition. The last four weeks are already for slacking and goofing off, except for the few teams still trying to get a playoff berth. When they played 12 games, it really was 40 for 60. Now there are 60 players, and we have to watch 10 for 20. Not only that, but football used to be called a collision sport. Now everyone pulls up to avoid collisions, because collisions are frowned on and penalized more.
skol84

UAE

#11 Sep 5, 2010
think of if the colts or any other team wins 13 straight and there ahead in the afc by 3 games then the end of the season is goina be even worse, if they do this the have to have 2 preseason games a week off then two bye games that are evenly spaced among all teams instead of the current system were one team gets a bye at week 4 then has to play 13 game plus if they go to the playoffs add another 3.. then there always the possibility of not make a starter play like baseball and giving them days off if there in the playoff hunt i agree with the records theres no point in even having them because whats next in 5 years they will want 20 games..sorry im ranting because i think its pointless it has nothing to do with the fans its all about money!
Sherm

AOL

#12 Sep 5, 2010
I have said it before and I will say it again..........
Klink is an Arse , and I can not wait till he is fired.

“Here I come to save the Day!”

Since: Jan 09

Gothem city

#13 Sep 5, 2010
Cut Pre-season, increase their practice by two weeks and make it a full 20 game season. No reason to pay $103 a ticket for upper level seats to watch a BS game that does not count and only added to the injured reserve list. Make them all count!
guy

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Sep 5, 2010
16 games is fine. And if the NFL teams wanted to charge less than full price for the exibition games, they could.
ezg357d

Madera, CA

#15 Sep 5, 2010
I think this 18 games the ownes are asking for are scare tactics so the can bring up that rookies unproven make to much money The owners want to change it & one way is to bring up playing the players for 18 games they know the players will not go for it & will say no one will make it through a season So now the owner can come back & say We are willing to give more money sharing tickets sales to the Vets but want to cut the unproven rookie pay that keeps going up year after year. The owners did want to cut what the unproven rookie gets so maybe the 18 game season isnt anything more then scare tactics. to get what they really want .>>> GO VIKINGS
FudgePackerKilla

Bangkok, Thailand

#16 Sep 5, 2010
oxboro wrote:
whats an astrix?..there are any asterisks between the 12 the 14 and the 16 game seasons
You are an amazing speller, congratulations.
FudgePackerKilla

Bangkok, Thailand

#17 Sep 5, 2010
JimisRite wrote:
<quoted text>
another Minnesota drunk bragging about it ... try AA ya bum and stop beating your wife ..
Didn't know that having a fews beers and watching football in the pub meant that you beat your wife. You've some serious issues packerscum!

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

#19 Sep 6, 2010
memyselfandI wrote:
The move from 12 to 16 games has already made a joke of the competition. The last four weeks are already for slacking and goofing off, except for the few teams still trying to get a playoff berth. When they played 12 games, it really was 40 for 60. Now there are 60 players, and we have to watch 10 for 20. Not only that, but football used to be called a collision sport. Now everyone pulls up to avoid collisions, because collisions are frowned on and penalized more.
It is possible that by going to this format it could take away from the intensity of some games as players will have to "pace" themselves so to speak for a longer season, good point. The owners are very adamant about donig this so I beleive it is a done deal, you will most likely see expanded rosters sith this farmat though. Owners will benefit financial wise and fans will be treated to more entertainment but the majority of the players are not happy.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Erie

#20 Sep 6, 2010
doing, believe.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Erie

#21 Sep 6, 2010
with and format, dam can't spell tonite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ray Lewis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Some Athletes Are Using Deer Antler Spray a... (Feb '11) Mar '14 alaanile 3
Your Reaction to Michael Vick Joining the NY Je... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Phoenix Ascended 4
Ravens hope to unveil Lewis statue before season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Paul bleeds Purple 1
Wow! Ray Lewis & hearing aids! (Oct '13) Oct '13 Operation Change 1
Ray Lewis on Aaron Hernandez: 'New England had ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jordan Reinders 1
Baltimore Ravens: Is It a Mistake That James Ih... (Sep '13) Sep '13 James 1
Chad Greenway Now Entering Elite Linebacker Sta... (Aug '13) Aug '13 viking nation 2
More from around the web