With draft behind them, Vikings' focus turns to Favre's decision

Full story: TwinCities.com

With all but one of their starters from last season under contract, the Vikings had the luxury of not having to rely on this year's NFL draft to make or break their offseason.
Comments
1 - 20 of 40 Comments Last updated Apr 27, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Huh

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Apr 24, 2010
What are you trying to say, exactly?
Erratically written article, IMO.
Most of these guys have a legit shot.
Look @ the backups on this squad...
there's certainly room for improvement.
Solid if unspectacular draft. Speilman, Studwell, Chilly, the Wilfs;
Pretty solid organization and I think they plugged a few holes.
cnruf

Williamsburg, VA

#2 Apr 25, 2010
Still need an upgrade at center. Wish Birk had stayed.
OLD VIKING

Virginia Beach, VA

#3 Apr 25, 2010
WHO needs Farve,the vikes drafted JOE ummmm WEBB....championship?!@#$%^ &*
AP Fan

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Apr 25, 2010
Chances are good Favre will be back, but I'm still a little upset & miffed on passing on Clausen( twice ). He's pro-ready & has all the tools you look for in a franchise type of qb. Now if Favre decides to hang it up, the Vikes will look like str8 up clowns for assuming Favre will be back. As much as I like TJ & stick up for him, he's not the long term answer for this team. Vikes better hope theirs some nice elite qb talent in next yrs draft. Pat Devlin of Delaware is one to keep an eye on.
IronRanger

United States

#5 Apr 25, 2010
If you haven't watched Toby Gerharts 2009 highlight reel on you tube you should. This guy is going to open eye's when he gets a chance. What a frigging load with speed and moves.

muskratbob

Elkins, WV

#6 Apr 25, 2010
I ddon't care who got the position on the line if the blocking for the runners and the quarterback taking a hell of a beating someone not blocking someone not doing their job. Say what you will but for a team to do nothing in the draft except get a maybe guard to protect favre then say we're waiting on favre it's like slapping a guy then say we still friends. Get real or get lost. If we can get alan fanceau the free agent who played with favre at the jets we'd better grab him. He's that good go vikings.
Typical Media

Perry, MI

#7 Apr 25, 2010
You guys are never happy! Get over it! The Vikings will be fine with or without Favre! Will they have the same magic as last year? Probably not. Will they be as good as last year? Absolutely! They control theor season. No one really beat them anymore than the Vikings finding ways to beat themselves. They did well in the draft. Tired of the "its all about now" crap. The Vikings have been there and done that before and gotten the same results each time. You don't sell your soul for one big splash! Go Vikings~
Zeke

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Apr 25, 2010
Clearly, the refs in the NFL championship game let the Saints pound on Favre...late hits, hits to the head, hits to the lower leg...it was an obvious attempt to make sure the Katrina Saints got to the Super Bowl.

In letting the mugging happen there is the possibility that Favre's damaged ankle may prevent him from playing...ever again!

Thanks to the NFL's grudge against the Williams wall and the desire to see the Katrina's in the big game, the refs were non-calling under the direction of Roger Goodell.

With or without Favre the Vikings will win the season opener in Katrinaville by a landslide
Vikefan93

Rhinelander, WI

#9 Apr 25, 2010
As one that takes the draft too seriously, I was disapointed in the Vikings draft. We missed out on the last upper echelon corner, Patrick Robinson, to trade out of R1. That move kind of epitomizes my thoughts on our draft; we didn't come away with ANY instant impact players. Chris Cook does little to excite me (watch the Senior Bowl) at CB, but like that he can move to play FS. We probably could have moved down another 10 spots in R2 and still gotten Cook (IF someone wanted to trade up). Our R1 pick netted us Cook and Griffen; good depth but no immediate benefit.

I really failed to see the logic in spending a R2 AND R3 pick to move up for RB Toby Gerhart. I've seen him play and don't so much have a problem with picking Gerhart as I do giving away the R3 pick to get him. There were a ton of other backs out there and he very well may have still been on the board at #62, had we stayed patient. Gerhart runs hard (4.53/40 isn't bad for his size), can block and catch the ball, but isn't going to make the hole any bigger for AD nor give Favre/T-Jack any more time to throw. Had they picked Gerhart at #62 and taken an OG in R3, I'd sure feel better about the pick.

I did like the R4 selection of DE Everson Griffen, who, in fairness, was only there because we traded out of R1. I would be particularly pleased with teh pick, were he able to play inside on obvious passing situations this year.

I didn't have issue with the later round picks and I know we added much needed depth, but not a lot of bang for the buck. I sure hope I'm wrong!!
JimisRite

Onalaska, WI

#10 Apr 25, 2010
Zeke wrote:
Clearly, the refs in the NFL championship game let the Saints pound on Favre...late hits, hits to the head, hits to the lower leg...it was an obvious attempt to make sure the Katrina Saints got to the Super Bowl.
In letting the mugging happen there is the possibility that Favre's damaged ankle may prevent him from playing...ever again!
Thanks to the NFL's grudge against the Williams wall and the desire to see the Katrina's in the big game, the refs were non-calling under the direction of Roger Goodell.
With or without Favre the Vikings will win the season opener in Katrinaville by a landslide
waaaaaah ... enough already with the crying about the refs in the title game ... the refs didn't punch the ball out of those purple hands on all those fumbles ... and if grandpaw can't take the pounding at 40 he should hang it up and go babysit that new grandkid ...
toivo 2 feathers

Wenatchee, WA

#11 Apr 25, 2010
this farve thing is bad news. commit or dont. we're not ok without him.
F Scott Fitzgerald

Hastings, MN

#12 Apr 25, 2010
Zeke wrote:
Really. I suppose the NFL made Adrian fumble too. Its football Zeke, and when the stakes are high the hitting gets harder. Childress had more to do with us losing than any vast NFL conspiracy.
musskratbob

Elkins, WV

#13 Apr 25, 2010
Typical Media wrote:
You guys are never happy! Get over it! The Vikings will be fine with or without Favre! Will they have the same magic as last year? Probably not. Will they be as good as last year? Absolutely! They control theor season. No one really beat them anymore than the Vikings finding ways to beat themselves. They did well in the draft. Tired of the "its all about now" crap. The Vikings have been there and done that before and gotten the same results each time. You don't sell your soul for one big splash! Go Vikings~
You jerk you are a packer squacker and don't want brett favre making the packers give milk again. Brett favre the best there is or was get real go vikings.
Reality Checker

Las Vegas, NV

#14 Apr 25, 2010
Watch this fun video and tell me the Vikings didn't make the better choice taking Gerhart over that phony stiff of a safety Taylor Mays:

Play breakdown:

1. Mays has a temper tantrum when Gerhart runs right past him to the end zone.

2. Mays weakly pushes Gerhart out of bounds after a 30 yard run. Apparently Mays is only ‘a ferocious hitter’ when taking on guys smaller than he is.

3. Another long run for Gerhart, and Mays is nowhere to be seen, leaving the rest of his teammates to have to gang tackle Gerhart to finally stop his forward progress.

4. Yet ANOTHER long run, before Mays finally finishes off a tackle initiated by another defender. Even then, Mays hits so high, Gerhart still picks up yardage just falling forward.

5. Short gain by Gerhart, Mays can be seen waiting for his team mates to contain Gerhart before jumping on the pile after the tackle.

6. Another short run, Mays is nowhere near the ball to help with the gang tackle.

7. Short gain, Mays comes up and puts one good lick on Gerhart in the pile. Mays' one good play.

8. Mays has Gerhart right where he wants him, but Gerhart blows runs right through him, leaving Mays spinning around and falling down behind the play.

9. Good gain by Gerhart, Mays is nowhere to be seen.

10. Gerhart scores a touchdown, Mays can be seen having another fit after getting beat, just like in the first clip.

Mays looked so bad on this video, even Madieu Williams and Tyrrell Johnson would be ashamed.
Sue

United States

#15 Apr 25, 2010
We love Brett and we really want him to play again we have a whole room full of Brett Favre things.
JEF

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 25, 2010
The Vikings, 10-6, but who knows, maybe 9-7? Green Bay looks to be the team to beat. Young players beginning to enter their prime, and now more strength in the defensive and offensive lines. The Packer secondary will be better too, as they will have a couple of players returning from Injured Reserve.
Mike

Omaha, NE

#17 Apr 25, 2010
The Jets just released Alan Faneca!!! Also it is stated they payed him over $5 million owed to him. The vikings might find room for his leader ship and ability to maybe start some where on are line!!! Played with the the Steelers and then last 2 years with jets.
Lito

Victorville, CA

#18 Apr 25, 2010
Dear Vikes Management, pleae get another dominating Pat WIlliams- type defensive tackle and another humongous offensive lineman who can open holes for AP and TG, and to protect Bret F.
Keep it Simple Stupid

Eau Claire, WI

#19 Apr 25, 2010
Are there really people out there that have any doubt about wether Favre will be back or not? Seriously? Get a clue.

It was a guarantee the minute they lost the NFC championship. Of course he is coming back. Period.
Mhogan

Kissimmee, FL

#20 Apr 25, 2010
Vikings better hope favre comes back so they can choke again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ray Edwards Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bucs Q&A: Why don't Bucs sign available defensi... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Jesse t kelley 1
Five NFL Players Say Gay Is OK (Sep '12) Sep '12 Laughing Bear Fan 63
You Could Win The Super Bowl! Minnesota Vikings (Aug '11) Aug '11 Laughing Bear Fan 4
Falcons: DE Edwards had 'minor' knee surgery (Aug '11) Aug '11 Endfarts 4
NFL Free Agent Rumors: Vikings Leaning Toward M... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Laughing Bear Fan 3
Villaume: Tightening of the Purple Belt (Jul '11) Jul '11 Mike 2
Is Ponder set up for instant success? (Jul '11) Jul '11 upsman8801 77
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Ray Edwards People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••